Author Topic: Too-Loose-le Goose is totaled  (Read 2882 times)

Offline wavedog

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Too-Loose-le Goose is totaled
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2020, 01:41:23 PM »
The insurance dude won’t be here until Friday, so just waiting.
Concerning the crash incident, I have been somewhat reticent to post what happened as it seems improbable, and also my own reactions were, in my evaluation, slow and less than satisfactory. With that in mind here goes:
I was following two friends on a divided hiway, traffic slowed for a light, we slowed also but did not need to stop. As we accelerated away, the throttle on my bike went wide open and stuck open. That bike has never in all my many years of ownership accelerated that fast. I was in second gear, the front wheel was off the ground slightly and aiming to rear end my friend in front of me. I tried to grab the clutch, hit the kill switch, shut the throttle-which was stuck wide open-and avoid traffic simultaneously. There were cars next to me, my friend in front of me and in both lanes behind me. When the front wheel made contact with  the road I had the bike leaned over trying to weave through traffic and down I went. Traffic in front accelerated away, traffic behind braked, no contact with anyone or anything. Got up after a substantial tumble and slide, righted the bike, pushed it off the road, gathered the parts, waved traffic on and waited for my friends.
 Too-Loose-le-Goose deserved better.
The why and how of the throttle going wide open and sticking I do not know. Flashlight inspection revealed nothing.
After meeting with the adjuster and if I keep the bike I will look into it.
That’s it for now.

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2020, 02:00:50 PM »
Glad you're Ok that's the main thing

I've heard of carb bikes that have had throttle slides stick, usually due to weaker return springs installed but never an FI bike (it appears to be FI in the picture)

Dirt in the linkage? Sticky cable? Whatever it was it's easy to critisice actions and reactions, but an unexpected event that serious and the next to zero time to react mean an accident was just about a certaintity

From your description I think your actions were pretty dammed good, I doubt I'd have had the quick thinking and reactions to take the avoiding measures you managed

John

Online kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2020, 04:20:26 PM »
Last summer I had the experience of the throttle on my Jackal sticking wide open, but it did not accelerate on it's own, that was all my doing. That is very curious to me. I cannot envision a mechanical reason for it. There are three separate coil springs on that assembly that all act as a return against the throttle cable - as you roll it open, they pull back.

In my case, I initially thought is was the coil spring on one/both of the throttle bodies, but in end it was the coil spring in the center, on the post where the two arms intersect. It was gummed up and not returning without assist.

Sounds like a horrible situation and you're fortunate to be telling us about it unscathed.
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline guzzinka

• Gosling
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2020, 03:15:46 PM »
Hi wavedog, how did things turn out with the insurance?  I’m crossing my fingers for you, as a lot of us probably are. 

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2020, 03:15:46 PM »

Offline wavedog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2020, 04:09:18 PM »
The insurance guy was here Friday and it went about like I thought it would. He barely looked at the bike and said it’s totaled. After our conversation he took a bunch of photos, gave me some paperwork, told that Monday I would receive notice of monetary settlement and left.
The money will help in my decision deciding the fate of Ol Too-Loose-Le-Goose.
Some options that I am considering now:
Take the money- seriously doubt it will be enough or worth it.
Take the money, buy the bike back and part out the good stuff.
Withdraw the claim, replace the handlebars, instal whatever lights that I can obtain cheaply and ride the bashed up bike. Beauty is only skin deep, or is that in the eye of the beer holder?
Here in Florida it is very difficult to get a salvage title bike on the road.
None of the above are carved in stone, just kicking around ideas.

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2020, 05:13:56 PM »
There was a recall that added a second cable to the throttle to close it. What happens is if the airbox moves slightly, it can foul the bellcrank assy and hold the throttle open. Glad you were not seriously hurt, that's one that has a high probability of bad things
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here