Author Topic: New Bike Day - NGC  (Read 1824 times)

Offline Denis

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Information is not knowledge.
New Bike Day - NGC
« on: May 03, 2020, 08:56:27 AM »
My father-in-law's 2000 Road King FLHPI was brought up to me last weekend. It was originally owned by the Casselberry, FL PD.
I had to do lots of cleanup and already replaced some of the crusty, rusty chrome stuff.
Still working on further de-skullinization. Skulls were EVERYWHERE on it.

At some point I want to put the police air seat and associated stuff on it. I think those stock bars will feel less like ape hangers when the police seat is installed.

It runs and handles great.

Show me a Le Mans IV and I'll show you a Le Mans 1000.
'87 SPII, '74 Eldorado, '85 LeMans, '91 California, '71 Ducati 450 RT, '41 Indian 841, '40 Indian Model 640-B ex-Canadian Army

oldbike54

Re: New Bike Day - NGC
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 09:43:53 AM »
 :thumb:

Dusty

Offline Dave Swanson

• Gaggle Hero
  • Northern Illinois USA
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 10:17:18 AM »
Congratulations!  I had a 2002 and liked it a lot.  A work friend of mine talked me into selling it.  It was a good one. 

Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S - Sparklehorse
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso SE - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Stone Centenario
2022 V85TT Guardia d'Onore
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

Offline cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 10:24:21 AM »

Still working on further de-skullinization. Skulls were EVERYWHERE on it.

Yup, between skulls and "live to ride ride to live eagles," that can be a lot of work.  Some of those plain oem bits are a lot harder to find and more $$ than one might think.  There's so few "plain" HDs out there that when it's all done, it makes the bike stand out from the crowd. 

Always love to see a real cop bike.  Very cool bike.  Enjoy.
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 10:24:21 AM »

Offline bodine99

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 10:47:09 AM »
 :thumb: Cop seat is nice. Mustang makes a matching pillion for 2 up. There is push buttons for the bag lids if you want to get rid of the hockey pucks.
Find out if the cam chain tensioners were done. Reg. HD primary fluid, Red Line HD (heavy)Shock Proof in the tranny, HD's syn 3 not the best. use an oil-filter with a hex nut on the can, easier to get off with the crank sensor right there also make (card board) or buy a catch drain for under the oil filter to keep the oil off the crank sensor and front motor mount. Michelin Commander 3 work real nice. 130/90-16 fits correct. a 140 is only 3/8th " wider and may rub the belt. 15wt fork oil and the neck bearing fall away rate service was most likely needs to or never been done. The bike has back assward triple trees.
EBC HH pads & braided frt. brake lines big improvement stock rubber lines they are probably swelled and rusted at the crimps.
Enjoy that is a very good motorbike.

Online cookiemech

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2020, 11:03:41 AM »
I have eight bikes. My Road King is my absolute favorite for a comfortable, easy ride (no pun intended).

Hope you love it!

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2020, 12:07:32 PM »
Nice!  Looks like a mile muncher!
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline Denis

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2020, 11:18:27 AM »
Congratulations!  I had a 2002 and liked it a lot.  A work friend of mine talked me into selling it.  It was a good one. 

Nice! I think the lower bars like you had on yours look a lot better than the taller police bars on some models, like mine.
'87 SPII, '74 Eldorado, '85 LeMans, '91 California, '71 Ducati 450 RT, '41 Indian 841, '40 Indian Model 640-B ex-Canadian Army

Offline Denis

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2020, 11:22:16 AM »
Yup, between skulls and "live to ride ride to live eagles," that can be a lot of work.  Some of those plain oem bits are a lot harder to find and more $$ than one might think.  There's so few "plain" HDs out there that when it's all done, it makes the bike stand out from the crowd. 

Always love to see a real cop bike.  Very cool bike.  Enjoy.

So far, and in less than a week, I've found stock footboard rubbers, brake pedal rubber, shifter rubbers, mirrors, saddlebag rails. I probably have less than $350 in all this stuff. And all of it was to replace rusty/skull adorned parts...

The original parts are pretty cheap so far, I've found. With all the custom stuff people get to replace the factory items, there's practically a glut of some things.

Offline moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2020, 11:22:52 AM »
 When you mention the air seat , are you speaking of the air assist center column in the frame ?
 It certainly increases the seat to ground distancing . (better not have a 28"inseam  :grin:) . Peter

Offline Denis

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2020, 11:23:52 AM »
:thumb: Cop seat is nice. Mustang makes a matching pillion for 2 up. There is push buttons for the bag lids if you want to get rid of the hockey pucks.
Find out if the cam chain tensioners were done. Reg. HD primary fluid, Red Line HD (heavy)Shock Proof in the tranny, HD's syn 3 not the best. use an oil-filter with a hex nut on the can, easier to get off with the crank sensor right there also make (card board) or buy a catch drain for under the oil filter to keep the oil off the crank sensor and front motor mount. Michelin Commander 3 work real nice. 130/90-16 fits correct. a 140 is only 3/8th " wider and may rub the belt. 15wt fork oil and the neck bearing fall away rate service was most likely needs to or never been done. The bike has back assward triple trees.
EBC HH pads & braided frt. brake lines big improvement stock rubber lines they are probably swelled and rusted at the crimps.
Enjoy that is a very good motorbike.

Thanks for the tips. I'm trying to get the service records for it.

Offline Denis

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2020, 11:28:42 AM »
When you mention the air seat , are you speaking of the air assist center column in the frame ?
 It certainly increases the seat to ground distancing . (better not have a 28"inseam  :grin:) . Peter

That's the one. 34" inseam here!

Offline Denis

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2020, 11:30:57 AM »
About the only thing I can find that needs some attention is one, possible both front rotors. When coming to a stop the front brakes seem to pulse. I suspect that maybe a rotor is warped.

Online s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2020, 12:30:02 PM »
Nice!  My BIL and his son both have old police bikes. Nice bikes, and as was said...  MAN its nice to see the bikes without all the "bling" on them.
Paul B

Online cookiemech

• Gosling
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2020, 03:05:45 PM »
About the only thing I can find that needs some attention is one, possible both front rotors. When coming to a stop the front brakes seem to pulse. I suspect that maybe a rotor is warped.
Great thing about a lot of stock Harley parts is that they are reasonably priced. Rotors are one example; way cheaper than those on a lot of bikes (my BMWs come to mind immediately!)

If you do your own work, a stock Harley is pretty cheap and easy to maintain.

Online s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2020, 06:38:36 AM »
Great thing about a lot of stock Harley parts is that they are reasonably priced. Rotors are one example; way cheaper than those on a lot of bikes (my BMWs come to mind immediately!)

If you do your own work, a stock Harley is pretty cheap and easy to maintain.

And stock, and aftermarket parts are EVERYWHERE!!  New, used, nice shape, old junk... if you want/need something its close..  I gotta give HD credit for that!
Paul B

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2020, 09:08:33 AM »
Re: rotors, older HDs used Kelsey-Hayes brakes. Newer ones, despite the bar and shield logos cast into the calipers are....Brembos.

The reason there are so many aftermarket parts is because the OEMs weren't that good! And most, even from HD are made overseas. At least they were and I doubt its changed a lot.
I knew a guy who was hard core HD and owned a custom shop. I used to pass him about where all the parts came from.
He had a HD drag bike and when I looked at it I asked about the forks. He said he got them because of the eagles cast into the sliders.
I took him outside to the old T and showed him the forks...
Nice ride! I tend to like the lesser equipped Glides, too.
I still don't get the skull thing, though.
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2020, 10:52:01 AM »
I really dont understand festooning yourself or your ride with skulls?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn1VxaMEjRU
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline john fish

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2020, 08:14:11 PM »
That's a damn good-looking bike.  I think it'll look even better with the cop saddle.
He lost the run of himself.

Offline Denis

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2020, 11:20:22 AM »
This week I found a 2000 police parts book supplement. That air seat has a list of 37 associated parts! It will take a while to collect all that stuff.
In the meantime I'm considering temporarily installing a set of standard Road King handlebars, which may be more comfortable in conjunction with the lowe Mustang seat on it now.

I'm also looking for a couple of police-specific parts; the air cleaner and the "Road King Police" tag for the tachometer mount. The dealer might be able to get this stuff but my previous experiences with H-D dealers for any reason haven't been all that encouraging. The air cleaners I've seen on eBay and there are two on there now, but they are kind of crusty.

Offline Denis

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2020, 10:01:18 AM »
That's a damn good-looking bike.  I think it'll look even better with the cop saddle.

Thanks!

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here