Author Topic: [V65 Florida conversion] USD front forks?  (Read 763 times)

Offline Tinus89

• New Egg
[V65 Florida conversion] USD front forks?
« on: May 10, 2020, 09:50:08 AM »
Hi all,

For my V65 Floriday scrambler project, I'm looking to replace the entire front set by a set of Upside Down forks. Preferably in gold color :bow:
I am aware this will require mods to the headstock bearing, brakes and front axle.

However I'm trying to find a suitable fork, but having some difficulties find a set of the right height. I can't find dimensions of forks anywhere...
The current set has a length from mid axle to top of 80cms. Also, the top triple has a drop in it of about 4cm, bringing total effective length to 84cm.

A Duc Monster fork set is easily obtainable, but has a 70cm height and no drop on the top triple, causing the bike to drop about 10-12cm on the front. This is a bit more than desired (6-9cm).

Question: anyone with suggestions on which make/model forks to look for? It does not have to be Italian even.

Offline usedtobefast

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: [V65 Florida conversion] USD front forks?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 07:57:23 PM »
Is this a "normal" V65?  Not a V65TT, right?  What's the suspension travel you are looking to end up with?  Do you have a tube diameter mm range in mind?  Any steering limit issues?  Like with USD forks they might hit the tank? 

Are you thinking long ish suspension travel, lots of off road?  Or more of scrambler look and maybe dirt roads? 

You might just go for a fork that is clearly long enough, and then have a suspension shop set the final height for you.  Fairly easy to limit a fork to less travel.

If you go Japanese dirt bike front end you'll have tons of options on eBay.  Honda CRF's have a nice gold color.

If you want less travel than that, you might look for KTM 990 Super Duke forks.  Travel is 5.3" / 135mm.  Oh, but they are usually black. 

There is an Aprilia Caponord, seems they are gold color.  But might not be easy to find the forks, triple clamp, etc. 

Are you going for a 19" front wheel? 

Some Suzuki V-Strom 1000 forks are gold.  6.3" travel (160mm).

Let me know if you want numbers from a CRF450R, KTM 990 SuperMotard, or V-Strom 1000 (I can go measure them in the garage).
2017 V7 iii Racer
2017 Griso
2016 Stornello
2000 Red Quota
Want a black/green 1000S big valve :)

Offline Tinus89

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 01:39:32 AM »
This is a V65 Florida (not a TT).

To be honest, I'm not too worried about the suspension travel, the ride height is of more importance to me. I'm going for Scrambler look and maybe dirt roads, no real offroading.
It is fairly easy to limit a fork to less travel indeed, but not easy to give it more height/total overall length. Or am I wrong?

Front wheel will be 18" (already on the bike).

Ebay would be an option, however most postings are in the US of A causing significant shipping fees... So I'm trying to look at European options.

Offline usedtobefast

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 10:43:30 AM »
I don't know of a way to make a USD fork longer.  As for going shorter, I'd rather get real close to the target ... meaning, I wouldn't want to get a CRF450R fork if I only wanted 4.5-5" of travel. 

I've never done a Moto Guzzi fork swap, but I'm done several on dirt bikes.  Many challenges with a project like this.

First one is space up top.  Most times with a conventional fork bike, the designers/engineers take advantage of the smaller tubes up top.  Tank location & width, steering stops, frame.  Switching to an USD fork means significantly thicker top tubes and the triple clamp that goes along with it.

Then for the front wheel and brakes ... you have axle diameter, and spacers to think of ... and then where & how the brake caliper attaches.  Also how wide the hub in on your bike vs. the donor bike.

I've found the easiest thing to do get the entire front end for a donor/target bike: triple clamp, front brake (master & calipers), forks, front wheel, spacers ... it makes your life WAY easier. 

If you want a wire spokes front wheel, I'd look at an Apriila Caponord model that had those. 

A low cost first step is to buy the triple clamp of the target donor bike first ...  then you can check out clearances on the frame and tank ... and the length of the steering tube, bearing sizes, etc.

If you look at this one ... looks like the turning radius would be pretty large, meaning those top fork tubes don't have a lot of room with that tank.  Also, not sure I like the front end high stance it has.

Where this one, designed as a scrambler, seems to have plenty of tank/fork room:

short sorry poems
2017 V7 iii Racer
2017 Griso
2016 Stornello
2000 Red Quota
Want a black/green 1000S big valve :)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 10:43:30 AM »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here