Author Topic: Winter camping in my tent coming up!  (Read 2560 times)

bobrebos

Winter camping in my tent coming up!
« on: February 10, 2021, 07:01:40 AM »
I think I will tell my doctor on my physical date that I must be going crazy!  Im going camping in my tent with the Stelvio on February 26th-28th at Chester Frost Park, outside of Chattanooga Tn.  Probably going to be 30 degrees outside.  lol.  Boy Im losing it!!

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Winter camping in my tent coming up!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 07:33:35 AM »
I think I will tell my doctor on my physical date that I must be going crazy!  Im going camping in my tent with the Stelvio on February 26th-28th at Chester Frost Park, outside of Chattanooga Tn.  Probably going to be 30 degrees outside.  lol.  Boy Im losing it!!

At least the park has an appropriate name.  LOL! 

Coming up in scouts, in New England, we camped every month.  We would dig down through 4 feet of snow to the ground where we would set up our tents sheltered from the wind and have our campfire.  Good memories. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 07:34:18 AM »
Have fun! I've been considering doing it too, but still afraid I'll wake up a popsicle...if I wake up.

What gear will you be using, particularly interested in your bedding. Are you a warm or cold sleeper?
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

bobrebos

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 07:49:43 AM »
Have fun! I've been considering doing it too, but still afraid I'll wake up a popsicle...if I wake up.

What gear will you be using, particularly interested in your bedding. Are you a warm or cold sleeper?

I use a small backpacking mattress pad, and a real good sleeping bag rated for something like 15 degrees f or so.  I like to have it cold when i sleep so this should be heaven,  lol!  As far as other gear, lots of layers for clothing, and build a nice fire, if i can get some firewood some how on my stelvio etc.  I have more planning to do before im ready for this trip!

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 07:49:43 AM »

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2021, 09:51:02 AM »
Hats off to ya Bob. Y’all have fun🥶🥶🥶

Offline ozarquebus

• Grand Canyon Pack Rat
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Riding since 1979
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2021, 07:10:13 PM »
I used to do stuff like that. Sounds like you will be warm enough sleeping with that gear if you sleep in longjohns. We all know its just getting up in the morning that is a bit nippy.
John

V1000 G5 (ex-cop impersonator)
 Convert Hangar Queen

Offline tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2021, 09:50:23 PM »
Check out UCO Candelier.  Perfect to burn all night to remove moisture from the tent, will add a little heat depending on your tent.   R Value 3.5 or above insulated air mattress would be a big plus.  Don't forget your pee bottle and headlight. :thumb:

Offline tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2021, 10:04:36 PM »
ps: UCO Candelier single candle option.  The 4 candle option would be more suitable for van camping or a large tent.  The 4 candle model makes a claimed
5000 BTU.  Cool YouTube video where a guy replaces the candles with airplane size small Tito Vodka bottles repurposed with Firefly oil and cotton wicks.
Pretty simple heat source not requiring electricity, propane or alcohol.  Anyway, I would suggest the single candle collapsable option for a one or two man tent.
The same guy cuts an aluminum can up and uses the aluminum to loop around the glass to shade the flame light for sleeping while casting a little light out the top.  Sometimes the simple things are the perfect solution.

oldbike54

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2021, 10:28:41 PM »
 Guzzistajohn , Delrod and I camped at Wes Stephens place down in a hollow in the middle of November a few years back . Not sure how cold it got but there was serious frost . Of course Wes came down and had the fire going , the coffee on , and a smile on his face , all before we crawled out of our sleeping bags , so not bad .

We have had below freezing at the Okie , although it has been a few years , and the same at Cedar Vale when we had it in April .

Delrod called from somewhere in Missouri on his way home from the old Fools on a Hill rally after it was moved to early March , he had been riding in snow showers for a couple of hours  :grin:

Old Indian trick , place a couple of stones near the fire , when they are nice and warm put them inside your sleeping bag down near where your feet go, warm feet make the experience pleasant .

Have fun Bob , take pictures , don't freeze up  :thumb:

Dusty

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2021, 12:07:53 AM »
How come I haven't heard of this candle idea before?
I would have thought burning candles in the tent would have been hazardous but you are saying it removes moisture and adds heat.
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

bobrebos

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2021, 05:09:44 AM »

Offline tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2021, 05:16:04 AM »
KR:  Google UCO Candlelier so you can see the (spring loaded) design.  Hazardous from the standpoint of flame in a tent?  Sure, some risk but minimal once you see the construction of this candle and use common sense on where and how you place it in the tent.  The amount of heat it generates will be dependent on several factors, obviously size of one or two person tent and temperature outside.  The heat generated part of this discussion is minimal, but you can add warmth to your tent, more if you add another candle.  No real concerns from a hazard point of view like CO that is generated from a propane source.  The biggest plus is that it helps to removes the moisture that is released from the human body, creating a dryer environment reducing condensation which in turn is in itself warmer and more comfortable. The other plus is that it takes up minimal space and travels well on a motorcycle.  Plenty of videos on YouTube, worth a look.

bobrebos

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2021, 06:17:43 AM »
KR:  Google UCO Candlelier so you can see the (spring loaded) design.  Hazardous from the standpoint of flame in a tent?  Sure, some risk but minimal once you see the construction of this candle and use common sense on where and how you place it in the tent.  The amount of heat it generates will be dependent on several factors, obviously size of one or two person tent and temperature outside.  The heat generated part of this discussion is minimal, but you can add warmth to your tent, more if you add another candle.  No real concerns from a hazard point of view like CO that is generated from a propane source.  The biggest plus is that it helps to removes the moisture that is released from the human body, creating a dryer environment reducing condensation which in turn is in itself warmer and more comfortable. The other plus is that it takes up minimal space and travels well on a motorcycle.  Plenty of videos on YouTube, worth a look.

:thumb:  I have one of these which has an oxygen depletion sensor and tip-over switch, but i find i really dont trust the oxygen depletion sensor so UCO Candlelier may be my next option.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/mr-heater-little-buddy-propane-heater?campid=71700000076028613&adgroupid=58700006489429827&device=c&keyword=92700058631911986&Channel=pla&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=cc0f2fa6a61213aa480a4f83b8ea6c62&gclsrc=3p.ds&ogmap=SEM|PLB|GOOG|SHOP|c|SNR||Brand-Shopping-Sports_and_Rec|Sports_and_Leisure-Accessories||71700000050043540|58700004906101385&msclkid=cc0f2fa6a61213aa480a4f83b8ea6c62&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Brand%20%7C%20Shopping%20%7C%20Sports%20%26%20Rec&utm_term=4584001428697229&utm_content=Sports%20%26%20Rec%20%7C%20Accessories#repChildCatid=26010

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2021, 06:29:46 AM »
In regards to a flame inside a waterproof tent, is there any risk concerning oxygen reduction throughout the night, or is that ridunculous?

I would suppose if it is a winter backpacking size tent with little ventilation, but if the oxygen gets low, the candle will go out. 

I have several of these backpacking candles.  I have the name brand one with a reflector on top to shed more light, and some from Sportsmansguide.com

I will say that the top of these lanterns get hot enough to give you a second degree burn. 

You can also warm up some instant coffee in a metal cup by sitting it on top of the candle if you have a base to set it in.

2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline roadventure

• Gosling
  • There is no try; There is only do.
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2021, 09:00:00 AM »
How come I haven't heard of this candle idea before?

Because the people who were burned to death don't say much about it?
dave
Millville, DE

"Moto Guzzi....you're never more than 500 miles from your nearest dealer"

Offline ozarquebus

• Grand Canyon Pack Rat
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Riding since 1979
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2021, 09:31:44 AM »
 Candles while sleeping in a tent have always been a general no-no for me. Melting a hole and/or spilling wax is nearly a sure thing, but some people may be do less calisthenics in tent. I have got rid of a couple of single wall tents because they had bad condensation. I have developed the ability to get almost completely dressed in the sleeping bag before crawling out. This heats you twice in the struggle. Don't leave your boots outside.
John

V1000 G5 (ex-cop impersonator)
 Convert Hangar Queen

Offline Seventy One

• Hatchling
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2021, 10:09:47 AM »
To keep condensation from soaking your sleeping bag, take a light rain jacket, zip it up and pull it over the foot box of your sleeping bag. This way if (when) your sleeping bag touches the sides of the tent during the night you'll stay dry. A Frogg Toggs jacket is fine for this.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 11:30:40 AM by Seventy One »

Offline Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2021, 10:20:38 AM »
Good luck,the worst case is you freeze to death which I hear is not that bad of a way to go

bobrebos

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2021, 01:13:06 PM »
Good luck,the worst case is you freeze to death which I hear is not that bad of a way to go

:laugh:

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2021, 01:19:15 PM »
Candles while sleeping in a tent have always been a general no-no for me. Melting a hole and/or spilling wax is nearly a sure thing, but some people may be do less calisthenics in tent. I have got rid of a couple of single wall tents because they had bad condensation. I have developed the ability to get almost completely dressed in the sleeping bag before crawling out. This heats you twice in the struggle. Don't leave your boots outside.

The candles used in these candle lanterns don't drip.  The flame is enclosed, but the lantern itself could probably melt tent material if it came into contact for more than a few seconds.  It is generally hung in the center of the tent and preferably should be used in a tent with a high enough ceiling that you don't swing an arm and hit it.
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2021, 02:50:06 PM »
When you really start feeling brave, check this out...

https://www.adventurebikerider.com/guide-elephant-rally/

Lots of videos on YouTube too.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Wildroamer

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2021, 04:27:26 PM »
I can attest to the surprising amount of heat those candelier's throw. I have had my single candle version for decades, and used it during very cold weather. Had one in my tent when we camped just off the summit of Mt Washington many years ago. Temp was 0 degrees F when we crashed for the night, and winds were a sustained 50 mph plus considerably higher gusts. I won't say it was warm, but the candle took the frost off the inside of the tent. Also, there is no real way for them to leak out wax, and you would have to put tent material right against the top of the lantern to cause melting.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 04:28:20 PM by Wildroamer »

Offline Arctic Fox

• Gosling
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2021, 12:42:31 PM »

Do you have ultra light stove for your tent (inside)? This one for example (all together) weights less than 2kg!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM_S_kU5IIA&feature=emb_logo

Offline diablo45

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2021, 01:54:58 PM »
30 degrees is great sleeping weather! This is my idea of winter camping here in MI.

instagram photo full size download

Sam
Hazel Park,MI 48030

1970 Ambassador/gone but not forgotten
2002 Stone/gone but not forgotten
1992 Honda ST1100/ gone, it was nice

Support your local dealer

We are the people of the Sun

bobrebos

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2021, 03:18:45 PM »
Do you have ultra light stove for your tent (inside)? This one for example (all together) weights less than 2kg!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM_S_kU5IIA&feature=emb_logo

Thats pretty awesome!

bobrebos

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2021, 03:22:21 PM »
30 degrees is great sleeping weather! This is my idea of winter camping here in MI.

instagram photo full size download

Those pics remind me of my military days!

bobrebos

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2021, 03:31:30 PM »
When you really start feeling brave, check this out...

https://www.adventurebikerider.com/guide-elephant-rally/

Lots of videos on YouTube too.

:thumb:

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline Furbo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2021, 04:05:22 PM »
 I spent 30yrs with a Boys Club that would actually pay you to do this........I no longer do it 'for fun'.  :police:
Killeen, TX
'96 Sport 1100
'72 N. Falcone
'72 Eldo

Eccl 9:9,10

Offline pete mcgee

• Gosling
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2021, 06:09:10 PM »
We have a rally here in oz called the Apollo Rally, held every 5 years in the mountains south of Canberra in July, our winter.
Minus 14 c is the coldest its been, generally minus 10. A decent insulated ground mat and a good mummy sleeping bag and smallush tent and your good.
In a small dome type tent is around 4 to 5 c inside, in a large dome tent with 2 people it was cold enough inside to solidly freeze a 1 litre bottle of water, minus 10 outside.
Wear thermals, socks and a beanie in the bag, I guarentee you WILL need to get up at 2 to 3 am and go for a wizz. Itsnt ageing wonderful.
Cheers
Pete (no not the Bungendore one)

Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people look intelligent until you hear them speak....

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here