Author Topic: Wintertime topics  (Read 697 times)

GeorgiaGuzzi

Wintertime topics
« on: February 18, 2021, 05:40:19 PM »
So it’s winter. That time of year that motorcyclists have nothing to do unless they live far enough north to have snowmobiles. I have gotten almost as good as Nick949 at grabbing a warm day to ride no matter the month. But for some of us, winter means being cooped up inside. Cabin fever and a keyboard are not conducive to much. So since we can’t post very many Guzzi or motorcycling things, let’s try to keep the posts civil and understanding of why there’s so many NGC posts. It’ll get better in a bit! 😊
Until then, we’ll just have to content ourselves with discussions about the best woolen socks, or whether or not straight moonshine can be used if you run out of fuel. Maybe I could start a debate on sauced vs dry ribs?

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Wintertime topics
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 05:46:20 PM »
Personally, I prefer dry. *Not* falling off the bone, of course.  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

GeorgiaGuzzi

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 06:04:06 PM »
Personally, I prefer dry. *Not* falling off the bone, of course.  :smiley:

You’re welcome to them. Personally I prefer ribs to be smoked with a dry rub and then sauced about 30 minutes before they’re done. That way the sauce has a slight bit of carmelization. Of course, I wouldn’t turn down dry rubbed ribs either. 😁

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 06:13:38 PM »
The ice is over 2 feet thick on Minnesota lakes, that's some real hard water!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiUhjH8uMgQ
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 06:18:11 PM by fotoguzzi »
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 06:13:38 PM »

GeorgiaGuzzi

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 06:23:46 PM »

Is it bad that I was waiting for her to “break the ice”? Hah!!!! I kill me. We need a ALF emoji!

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 07:36:33 PM »
Wintertime is the time for incremental improvements for the bikes.  Little jobs that can be done in an hour or so before the garage gets too cold.  Tonight I wiped all the dirt and grime off the /5 with a rag and some WD40.  The forum has taken a philosophical bent these past few days.  Maybe it is the long part of winter.  I like it. Best to everyone.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2021, 12:52:13 AM »
Remember, not everyone that is on this board is in winter right now. Some are in heatwaves.

Now you got me hungry. Ribs, with sauce, just about falling off the bone. Loaded mashed and veggies on the side. Num, Num!!!

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2021, 07:40:32 AM »
I like dry rub ribs.  My daughters likes the ones I do with peaches and cinnamon (with or w/o sugar) best.  Cooked completely free but not falling off.  Otherwise, you might as well just use cheaper plain boneless trimmed & butterflied butt or shoulder.  Good sauce is fine too.  Sloppy-messy to eat or serve isn't my preference.

Winter here usually means pruning muscadines, peach trees, etc and good shop time with no bugs or sweat in my eyes.  This time, it's been fixing almost every 4 wheel vehicle we have.  Guzzi parts continue to show up. Right now I'm chasing a loop spare parts bike.

We bought seed for our lazy assorted greens garden yesterday. kale, arugula, etc.  they grow like weeds, so fit our program well.  We went to buy the same seed last year at the normal March/April time and found bare shelves after the - garden buying craze...  We still had volunteers in our garden for the season, but hopefully it will be better this year.

But spring and early summer (before its buggy & crazy hot) means a picnic lunch out back with paella, cooked over a proper twig & sticks fire.  It's really hard to beat that smoky crispy rice around the edges.  It won't be long.
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Online s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2021, 08:10:18 AM »
Been pretty stirr crazy here.. take a dash of - closure, a pinch of cold/snow, and ice, and a little garnish of stuck at home caring for a elderly MIL...  ya, Im just waiting for warm..  I got the bike waiting to pull the tires off of, but at 35 deg, I cant really get the ambition to hang in the shop..   I have grinding, and welding to do on the floors of my old convertible.. but I need to move the bike out of the way, and its all propped up waiting to pull the wheels off.. doing little stuff, but really I just need to get through the next 4-5 weeks..
Paul B

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2021, 11:04:50 AM »
I prefer to smoke them with dry rub for about three hours.  St Louis or Beef Back Ribs.  I like BBQ flavored rub on pork and Montreal on beef.  After they're smoked, I'll wrap them in foil.  I'll mix a little BBQ sauce and butter to give a little bit of painting on the top of the St Louis ribs or coffee and butter for the beef ribs, then wrap them.  Put them on warming level at 170 degrees.  Pull them out when I am ready to eat.

If I've done it right, no more sauce is needed on the pork and there isn't any beef sauce that I'm aware of. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Arctic Fox

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2021, 04:04:10 PM »

May I ask what is a standard in Minnesota (windows)? How many glasses you normally have there? In Finland the minimum 3 glasses in one window. Many have more. There are solutions where are noble gasses between 2 glasses (if those can not be separated from each others) ... and many others to get U-value lower.

Finns who have moved into UK (for example) are often suprised how cold many houses/appartments tends to be in winter time (inside). Not so because temperature outside but how those are built over all.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 04:16:32 PM by Arctic Fox »

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2021, 04:55:01 PM »
Most windows have two layers of glass sometimes with a gas in between the glass, but you can get three layers. We have two big window manufacturers in Minnesota, Marvin and Anderson.

MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2021, 06:33:36 PM »
It's warming up now. Grilling some Chuckeyes tonight and smoking some small pork butts tommorry. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here