Author Topic: NGC another new Ford pickup - Maverick  (Read 2891 times)

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
NGC another new Ford pickup - Maverick
« on: June 17, 2021, 09:28:41 PM »
I didn’t think any North American manufacturer would bring back a small 1/4 ton type truck, the reborn Ranger is almost as big as a full size pickup from the 70’s but Ford thinks there’s a market for a small truck. The Ford Maverick is kinda interesting to me as it’s more like the size of my 2010 Ranger extended cab 4x4 with convenience of four doors at the expense of a pretty short box. I think this ‘truck’ is based on a SUV platform and may not be up to carrying much and the ‘box’ looks to be integral with the cab, everything old is new again

I like the new Ranger but it costs almost as much as a full size F150, I wonder where this new mini truck will price out at and if there is really a market for it?
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
Re: NGC another new Ford pickup - Maverick
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2021, 09:31:18 PM »
I think this is a unibody truck like the Honda.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2021, 09:34:16 PM »
I've only read a couple of introductory things about the Maverick. I think it's gonna start at $20k in the US, possibly all have a hybrid drivetrain, and I forget the platform to which it's supposed to be related.

I think the Bronco and Ranger are related so it's gotta be something else? Maybe like the Bronco Sport/Escape.

Unibody in and of itself doesn't bother me, hell I had a Subaru Baja (and loved it)!
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2021, 09:50:52 PM »
I like it

MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2021, 09:50:52 PM »

Offline AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2021, 10:07:54 PM »
I want VW to bring back the Rabbit truck!

99% of people living and driving in the US have no need for a full size truck. I think these will sell like hotcakes.

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2021, 06:34:57 AM »
The unibody doesn't bother me, hell I would probably have an AWD Honda Ridgeline if they weren't so bloody expensive and ugly.

I wish there was a 2-door option, I have never had anyone in the backset of my current car in 8 years of ownership! The only other thing missing is 5000# towing capacity, and you can only get close to that on the pricey one. I dont have an RV yet but we have been talking about it.

But I guess people in hell want ice water....  So I will shrug and keep rolling in the Subaru.  I am very glad to see a small US truck back in production tho.
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2021, 06:46:55 AM »
I kinda like it. My need for a truck is towing, and hauling stuff, so I would pass, but I like the looks of it, and specs seem pretty good. If that price point sticks, I bet they sell a ton of them.
Paul B

Offline 9fingers

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2021, 06:49:21 AM »
I think it will sell like hotcakes and I might be a customer. I too would prefer it just be a 2 door with a longer bed but with the standard hybrid powertrain I am sure they don't want people loading up the bed with 2,000lbs of stuff. I think lots of people will buy it as a 2nd or 3rd car, for those times when they just need to haul something.
Scott
Current bikes:
V7 III Special - Sophia
Royal Enfield Classic Chrome 500 Bullet - Guinevere
Suzuki V Strom 650 - Rita
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL250 custom
Honda TL125
Yamaha TY350

Offline dirtiegirtie

• Hatchling
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2021, 06:57:29 AM »
From what I read the hybrid is only available with FWD. This is the trim that is getting quoted as 40 mpg. In order to get 4WD you have to opt for the turbo 4 - no hybrid - so mileage drops to 21/26 mpg. Which, in my experience, means I would be getting 21 mpg.

I like to have 4WD in the winter, but need to have it pulling the boat out of the water. I can't imagine trying to pull a boat up a wet ramp with a FWD vehicle. RWD? Sure, I've done it. But FWD? Doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Offline HarveyMushman

• Gosling
    • Photo Galleries
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2021, 07:05:27 AM »
I've only read a couple of introductory things about the Maverick. I think it's gonna start at $20k in the US, possibly all have a hybrid drivetrain, and I forget the platform to which it's supposed to be related.

I think the Bronco and Ranger are related so it's gotta be something else? Maybe like the Bronco Sport/Escape.

Unibody in and of itself doesn't bother me, hell I had a Subaru Baja (and loved it)!

The Bronco and Maverick share the same unibody platform. The Ranger is a larger ladder frame truck. I bought a RWD ‘20 Ranger in November and am very pleased with it. It is a bit big for my needs though, and KBB says I could sell it now for more than I paid for it. Not sure I believe that and I probably won’t sell it, but I’m watching the Maverick with interest.
Tim

Online PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2021, 07:27:28 AM »
It looks like the decked out price for a Maverick is about the same as the base price for a Ridgeline. Sounds like a good value if you don’t need a tow vehicle which neither really are.

Pete

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2021, 07:53:52 AM »
The Bronco and Maverick share the same unibody platform. The Ranger is a larger ladder frame truck. I bought a RWD ‘20 Ranger in November and am very pleased with it. It is a bit big for my needs though, and KBB says I could sell it now for more than I paid for it. Not sure I believe that and I probably won’t sell it, but I’m watching the Maverick with interest.

I think you're confusing the Bronco with the Bronco Sport (not hard to do since Ford was so dumb with their naming conventions).

The soon to debut Bronco is a RWD-based body on frame vehicle.

The already out there, Bronco Sport is a FWD-based, unibody, similar to the Escape.

https://www.trucks.com/2020/07/13/ford-unveils-2021-bronco-suv/

Every Bronco will have four-wheel-drive, with the larger two-door and four-door models having significant off-road capability. Ford is using one of its global truck platforms for the vehicles. They have a body-on-frame architecture. The smaller Bronco Sport has unibody construction – like current crossovers on the market.

https://www.caranddriver.com/ford/maverick

Instead of sharing parts and mechanicals with the Ranger, the Maverick rides on the same chassis as the Bronco Sport compact crossover.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 07:55:36 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline ozarquebus

• Grand Canyon Pack Rat
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Riding since 1979
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2021, 08:44:00 AM »
It looks cool!

but its not much of an innovation. Just the same platform as their Bronco/Escape SUV with the back chopped off.

What is a surprise is that they are selling a relatively cheap 'pickup-style' vehicle that might cannibalize some of their cowboy cadillac sales.

They must think the market share gained on Honda Ridgeline class segment will offset the loss of sales in Ford's "real" pick up trucks.

The marketing boys at Ford must be thinking that almost no one who would normally buy a F150 or Ranger would buy the lesser capable (base model) Maverick.

Probably a pretty good vehicle, but not to be confused with a workhorse. Pretty much the same capacity as a compact SUV. (and about the same as a 1973 Maverick sedan?)

Now if Ford would strip-down a non-hybrid v6 tudor Ranger and hit the 20,000 dollar price tag, that would be something.  They could pump those babies out quick and cheap and without Chinese microchips. I will take mine with steel wheels, no hubcaps, no cupholders, no spare tire, vinyl bench seat,  no radio or floormats. That is a wild fantasy to think they would do that...

I think this is the truck that would be dominating USA roads if the bureaucracy of regulators had not kept it out. The competition form Mahindra would have forced US car manufacturers to give the consumer what they want at a competitive price.

John

V1000 G5 (ex-cop impersonator)
 Convert Hangar Queen

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2021, 08:44:47 AM »
It looks like the decked out price for a Maverick is about the same as the base price for a Ridgeline. Sounds like a good value if you don’t need a tow vehicle which neither really are.

Pete

My neighbor pulls his bass boat all over the state with his Ridgeline.  I've towed U-Haul bike trailers all over the country with my Isuzu Trooper.  OTOH, I have light 5th wheel toy hauler that I tow with a Duramax diesel. 

I guess it depends what is meant by a "tow vehicle".   IMO, TV means 3/4 ton +. 
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 08:46:15 AM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2021, 08:50:50 AM »
I think you're confusing the Bronco with the Bronco Sport (not hard to do since Ford was so dumb with their naming conventions).

The soon to debut Bronco is a RWD-based body on frame vehicle.

The already out there, Bronco Sport is a FWD-based, unibody, similar to the Escape.

https://www.trucks.com/2020/07/13/ford-unveils-2021-bronco-suv/

https://www.caranddriver.com/ford/maverick

crap, I had no idea.  TWO Broncos?    No wonder no one can figure out all this hype.  Perhaps they should've called the Sport, Maverick?  And unibody truck something else?
John L 

Offline AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2021, 08:58:49 AM »
You guys are thinking about this all wrong, hung up on towing capacity and 4WD and what not. The Maverick only LOOKS like a truck, but it's not a truck. It's a Ford Escape with an open bed, or basically a car with a truck-like bed. It's for suburbanites who hardly ever need a truck, don't tow a boat, but need to put 10 bags of mulch in the back for their weekend flower bed project. Or take their kids to hockey practice and want to throw two rank smelling hockey bags in the back, outside. Or bring home a new grill or lawnmower as a gift for father's day.

It's not a truck.

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Online Joliet Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Justus Esto, Et Non Metue
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2021, 09:01:46 AM »
The unibody doesn't bother me, hell I would probably have an AWD Honda Ridgeline if they weren't so bloody expensive and ugly.

I wish there was a 2-door option, I have never had anyone in the backset of my current car in 8 years of ownership! The only other thing missing is 5000# towing capacity, and you can only get close to that on the pricey one. I dont have an RV yet but we have been talking about it.

But I guess people in hell want ice water....  So I will shrug and keep rolling in the Subaru.  I am very glad to see a small US truck back in production tho.

As an RV owner of 12 years, who started with a 4.3 6cyl 1500, through two 5.3 V8s and now a Duramax diesel 3500. You can never have too much truck for towing, but you definitely can have too much for a lot of parking lots.  :laugh:
1975 T160 Triumph Trident "Spot"
2002 Cali Stone "Moby Dick"
1998 Centauro "Psycho Chicken"
2003 Buell Blast "Pegasus"

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2021, 09:03:13 AM »
What is a surprise is that they are selling a relatively cheap 'pickup-style' vehicle that might cannibalize some of their cowboy cadillac sales.

They must think the market share gained on Honda Ridgeline class segment will offset the loss of sales in Ford's "real" pick up trucks.

The marketing boys at Ford must be thinking that almost no one who would normally buy a F150 or Ranger would buy the lesser capable (base model) Maverick.

Good point.

And I think they are sure. I realize it's not completely apples-to-apples, but they've got 125,000 orders for the upcoming RWD/4WD Bronco, so the earlier introduction of the Bronco Sport (other than the confusion it's causing) hasn't hurt the pre-sales of the larger, truck-based unit.

Sorta like the relationship between the Wrangler and the Renegade. MOST buyers of either aren't really considering the other.

crap, I had no idea.  TWO Broncos?    No wonder no one can figure out all this hype.  Perhaps they should've called the Sport, Maverick?  And unibody truck something else?

Yeah this crap has been going on for more than a year.

They announced the new Bronco with model info and engine platforms.

Then they RELEASED the Bronco Sport and lots of people were like WTF, those engines are smaller then they promised, and this doesn't seem like a Wrangler competitor etc.

Now they are finally releasing the actual Bronco and a good bit of the public have no idea it's a different vehicle from the Bronco.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2021, 09:08:01 AM »
You guys are thinking about this all wrong, hung up on towing capacity and 4WD and what not. The Maverick only LOOKS like a truck, but it's not a truck. It's a Ford Escape with an open bed, or basically a car with a truck-like bed. It's for suburbanites who hardly ever need a truck, don't tow a boat, but need to put 10 bags of mulch in the back for their weekend flower bed project. Or take their kids to hockey practice and want to throw two rank smelling hockey bags in the back, outside. Or bring home a new grill or lawnmower as a gift for father's day.

It's not a truck.

-AJ

As an RV owner of 12 years, who started with a 4.3 6cyl 1500, through two 5.3 V8s and now a Duramax diesel 3500. You can never have too much truck for towing, but you definitely can have too much for a lot of parking lots.  :laugh:

You're both completely right.

I mean this is probably the pendulum swinging back to something more practical.

So many people who drive these monster pickups really don't need THAT much truck. They are HUGE - tall, long, can't really fit in parking spots etc.

The "compact" or "mid-sized" trucks (Colorado, Ranger, Tacoma, Ridgeline) are now as big (or bigger) than what full-size trucks were years ago.

This Maverick is a return to something that's actually a COMPACT truck, though I bet it's still bigger than the original Ranger, S10, VW etc.

But again, it's all MOST of us probably need, just like my Subaru Baja was fine! I even carried a motorcycle in the bed once. No worries.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2021, 09:19:38 AM »
Interesting comments and good information/ links. I will probably keep my 2010 Ranger for a long time, it’s over 10 years old but has just over 100,000 km on it and it’s a third vehicle that all my kids and relatives borrow when they need to take junk to the dump, pick up furniture or get some sod or mulch for landscaping. It is pretty basic just air/ cruise and PW but it came with carpet delete option, all plastic interior, just open the doors and hose it out. The jump seats are pretty useless in the back but the bed length is decent and the 4x4 system gives me no trouble. It’s my second Ranger, the last one had almost 300,000 km and was faultless, probably still on the road. I live in a harsh climate and calcium chloride is used in winters on the roads but neither of my Rangers had or have rust issues.
The Maverick may be too fancy for me but for what I use a truck for the unibody platform is not an issue. A $20K US base price is impressive in today’s world.
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Offline dirtiegirtie

• Hatchling
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2021, 10:14:13 AM »
If the price between a 4x4 ICE Maverick and the Hyundai Santa Cruz are similar, I would choose the Hyundai styling any day of the week. Similar size, unibody construction, utilitarianism, etc.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a36125131/2022-hyundai-santa-cruz-pickup-revealed/

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2021, 10:23:15 AM »
If the price between a 4x4 ICE Maverick and the Hyundai Santa Cruz are similar, I would choose the Hyundai styling any day of the week. Similar size, unibody construction, utilitarianism, etc.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a36125131/2022-hyundai-santa-cruz-pickup-revealed/

But since people aren't wearing masks anymore then people will SEE YOU driving a Hyundai.  :boozing:
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline HarveyMushman

• Gosling
    • Photo Galleries
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2021, 11:33:41 AM »

Damn. I sure am. That explains my confusion when I saw a Bronco Sport in the neighborhood and wondered, that’s what people are excited about?!
Tim

Online tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2021, 11:51:27 AM »
But since people aren't wearing masks anymore then people will SEE YOU driving a Hyundai.  :boozing:
I was hunting for a clean first gen Ridgeline and spread the news at work.
No less than 3 Ford/Chevy guys informed me that
 "Ridgeline owners pee sitting down" ...funny bunch of guys :shocked:
STILL, would love that Ridgeline.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 11:53:47 AM by tazio »
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2021, 11:59:50 AM »

Ha ha - though I do like the under-bed storage in the Ridgeline (the new model still has that right?).
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2021, 12:04:53 PM »
Not sure. My buddy just bought a new Ridgeline, loves it. I haven't passed on the pee joke to him yet, though it's just a matter of time  :evil:
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2021, 12:16:46 PM »
I’ve been a mopar guy since I was 16 years old. However Ford motor company definitely has my attention with three of their pickups, the Maverick, new Ranger and the old workhorse F150.
Personally if the Ranger gets close to the same highway MPG ratings, I’d probably go there first and if the F150 V6 Ecotec gets anywhere close to the bigger motor Ranger, then I’d probably go with the  1/2 ton Ford.
I guess what I’m saying is for my use it would not be practical to go with a small pickup over a larger one with a 12k + towing capacity, for only a 5MPG difference. Especially when the 1500 Ford is capable of 25 MPG highway miles numbers.

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2021, 12:18:28 PM »

How any man who cleans their own bathroom, doesnt pee sitting down-- baffles me. I know this clearly places me in the minority. But again, I haven't pissed on my pants, shirttail, bathroom floor, shoe, or hand in 20+ years because of it. I get out all my macho standing to pee quota out in the yard or in public restrooms

Online tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2021, 12:23:04 PM »
Yes,sir.
 Like I said, "funny bunch of guys".
 :boozing:
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2021, 12:30:33 PM »
 :boozing: :boozing: :boozing: :boozing: :boozing: :boozing: :boozing: :boozing: :boozing: :boozing: :boozing: :boozing:

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here