Author Topic: Convert - First Impression  (Read 2293 times)

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Re: Convert - First Impression
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2021, 12:38:13 PM »
Foto / Chuck,
                   Thanks for the information.
Are those 3 part numbers what I need? MG Cycle or Harpers?
Where does one order new hoses or is that something I can make up.
I notice the fuel hoses are needing replacement also.
Is it possible to remove the transmission without pulling the engine?
Right, I will hold that job for a winter project.

Cut the crimps from the original lines, reuse the fittings, add new hose and clamps:
https://www.thisoldtractor.com/moto_guzzi_tonti_i-convert_replacement_oil_lines.html

Like every other Tonti, one needs to "crab" the frame in order to remove the transmission.
Charlie

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2021, 09:54:18 PM »
I have had my Convert going on 2 years now, bought a generally well cared for but sitting 76 back in March 2020, before the insanity ensued, and did a refresh while I convalesced (the plan) and pandemic blaa blaa (forced).

It is definitely unique, NOT sporting, and the first motorcycle that clearly says SLOW DOWN and enjoy. The Tonti Frame is rigid, the chassis responsive, the brakes decent, but it is an open road slow is smooth smooth is fast kind of bike.

I've very much enjoyed mine, and look forward to some long trips, but it is NO replacement for a GRiSO or 1200 Sport. Adjust your expectations and you will fall in love.....

Getting ready to disassemble the bodywork and send for paint, and hope to add a sidecar long term.

MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2021, 09:58:41 PM »
I traveled to the island and picked up the old girl, she is a little rough with rust spots on the bright ware fittings but no more than you would expect from a bike living near salt water, a compression test showed 170 psi on both sides and looking in the inspection hole showed a steel flywheel with the ring gear teeth as part of the wheel. Never having ridden a Convert before, in high ratio it seems to do a lot of reving without much action but before you know it you are sailing along at 60 MPH and the engine is just purring along. I traveled down the island from Lantzville to Duke Point to catch the ferry back to Tswassen so I didn't have to face the madness of North Vancouver traffic on an unfamiliar bike. The area of New Westminster where I live is quite hilly, I will certainly be using low ratio around here.
In gear at a traffic light it requires firm footing or a touch of brake to stop edging forward, I hope that is normal.
The hoses obviously haven't been changed recently and after sitting for two hours on the ferry there was a little puddle (about 3") under the gearbox, I guess that means some seal is weeping, that will have to wait a while.

Mine mostly sat the 10 years before I acquired, but after the first few rides, the dripping stopped. Just changed out the tires and put Pirelli RT 66's, they are sublime.
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2021, 03:51:13 AM »
Well, that's different Roy. :thumb:

I am sure you will sort any bugs out and have yourself a rather unique tourer.  Looking forward to hear how you like it once you put a few miles on it.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2021, 03:51:13 AM »

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2021, 09:28:23 AM »
I'm still trying to figure out what milage the bike has, the speedo says 13,000 odd miles but of course the age says 113,000
The front tire is an Avon, pretty much worn out, I will get someone to read the date code on it
The back one has lots of tread but that has obviously been replaced at some time.
Only a few minor changes in the wiring loom, under the dash seemed fairly stock, speedo's never been apart.
What tires did the bike come with?
What other clues can I look for?
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2021, 06:59:39 PM »
Roy, check the front brake pad wear and note the manufacture, if possible.

The V65 I resurrected showed little wear at 18,000 miles.

Also when was it last licensed?  My V65 roller hadn't been licensed since 2010.

Mark
Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2021, 09:20:01 PM »
I doubt it has 113,000 miles. It would look a lot more worn out.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2021, 04:26:22 AM »
I think the condition of the paintwork on the bags was throwing me off, they may have been from a different bike. I pulled them off, they were held on by a mix of bolts and took it to the Sunday coffee meet, the general consensus from the condition of the paintwork is the odometer may be correct.
The oil leaks seem to have dissipated at least a piece of cardboard shows zero spots cooling down from hot.
The date code on the front Avon Roadrider 0287 (worn out) shows late 87 perhaps it was the first tire change.
The rear tire has the date code 4608.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
I'm really starting to enjoy the Convert experience, now I can visit the drive-thru and ride off holding my coffee lol.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 05:02:53 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2021, 02:08:07 PM »
If you are gonna keep the bike, start looking for a seal/gasket kit for a Convert. Also get yourself a dial indicator.  Look at ordering an upgraded alternator and replace as many light as possible with leds. The charging system has a hard time keeping up on the Convert. Keep one eye open for newer Convert parts bikes to cannabalize. Enjoy.
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2021, 03:46:50 PM »
If you are gonna keep the bike, start looking for a seal/gasket kit for a Convert. Also get yourself a dial indicator.  Look at ordering an upgraded alternator and replace as many light as possible with leds. The charging system has a hard time keeping up on the Convert. Keep one eye open for newer Convert parts bikes to cannabalize. Enjoy.

I've never seen a complete seal kit available for the Convert - engine and rear drive, yes, but not the transmission.

IMO, a higher output alternator isn't really needed if one goes all LEDs (particularly the headlight and taillight), installs a solid-state voltage regulator and run a big battery such as the ETX30L. Maybe if you're going to run heated gear, but otherwise I don't find it necessary, even with my (LED) driving lights on.
Charlie

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2021, 04:14:02 PM »
you don't really need a dial indicator unless your pulling the TC off the flywheel. All the o-ring replacements are downstream from the torq converter.

MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2021, 04:29:16 PM »
you don't really need a dial indicator unless your pulling the TC off the flywheel. All the o-ring replacements are downstream from the torq converter.

Like when doing a rear main seal?  :wink:
2017 Suzuki DR650

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2021, 04:33:56 PM »
I've never seen a complete seal kit available for the Convert - engine and rear drive, yes, but not the transmission.

Yeah, it's been years since I messed with one. SO long ago, I think Greg Field sold me a kit from Moto Intl.  :grin: It might have been a kit they put together after ordering parts independently, IDK.
2017 Suzuki DR650

Online s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2021, 06:03:38 AM »

Ive seen that come up a few times about the charging system on these. Did the convert's use a different system then the other Guzzi's of the era?
Paul B

Offline brider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2021, 06:57:19 AM »
I have to chime in here since I've owned a few of these myself, currently the Cal 2 Auto version.

1. Congrats! You'll either learn to love it or learn that you don't! Give it time, like others, I'd never sell mine, but you'll need another 5-sp in the stable to make you appreciate both.
2. Brakes, carbs, cables, air filters, alternator, etc, all that non-drive stuff is the same as any other Tonti so the same maintenance routines apply. Charging system has been suspected of suffering from too-low revs because the engine is operating very often at low revs, especially around town.
3. Don't over-think the o-rings in the tranny unless you sense that the drive system is "slipping". You'll know it. Not saying that the internal tranny o-rings wouldn't benefit from changing, but that's a major PIA that might sour you on the experience, and any slipping problems you encounter may likely be due to different reasons (there are several). Mine has 50k on the clock, operating on original tranny o-rings.
4. BE VERY MINDFUL OF YOUR FLYWHEEL. There is mucho documentation of them shearing @ the mounting flange to the crankshaft, mine failed at 70 mph and 17k miles. But I met a rider at last weekend's Nat'l rally who had 35k on his, metal flywheel, and he was sure it was original. If you pull it apart to reinforce/swap it out, there are several options, and maybe then you should probably do the tranny o-rings.
5. Dave Richardson claims in Guzziology that every Convert he's seen has failed the ATF drive pump around 20K miles. I think he blames it on improper heat-treating of the female drive portion, but in (2) of mine, BOTH failed at right around that 20k mile mark, and it was the 6mm (6.3?) male hex-drive piece that rounded off. You merely have to pull the front timing cover off to access the ATF pump. One time, I replaced the drive hex but did not replace the large o-ring that seals the ATF pump assembly to the timing cover. This o-ring leaked and caused drive slippage. I was ALMOST ready to pull the tranny, but thought I'd do this one first, and that was the problem.
6. If, at a stop, you DON'T need to use the brake or both feet to hold it in place, suspect slippage. Or if it doesn't respond smartly or quickly (sluggish is OK) when you roll the throttle on from a stop, it's slipping. You'll know it.
7. Some people have advised against shifting while in motion, and I am leery of this, but I still do it under ~35 mph. Mostly just leave it in High, unless under-50 mph hilly terrain. YMMV.
8. Your bars do not look stock, but if set up to you liking, it IS a Magic Carpet down the highway! Around town, too. You'll get an appreciation as to how much workload goes into (continually) shifting a 5-sp.
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2021, 08:34:55 AM »
Ive seen that come up a few times about the charging system on these. Did the convert's use a different system then the other Guzzi's of the era?

No, same system. But, unlike a Guzzi with 5 spd., the Convert engine isn't always running at a speed that will have the alternator at peak output and the battery charged. Especially in town or on back roads, the engine idles along or nearly so.
Charlie

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2021, 08:50:57 AM »

4. BE VERY MINDFUL OF YOUR FLYWHEEL. There is mucho documentation of them shearing @ the mounting flange to the crankshaft, mine failed at 70 mph and 17k miles. But I met a rider at last weekend's Nat'l rally who had 35k on his, metal flywheel, and he was sure it was original. If you pull it apart to reinforce/swap it out, there are several options, and maybe then you should probably do the tranny o-rings.
5. Dave Richardson claims in Guzziology that every Convert he's seen has failed the ATF drive pump around 20K miles. I think he blames it on improper heat-treating of the female drive portion, but in (2) of mine, BOTH failed at right around that 20k mile mark, and it was the 6mm (6.3?) male hex-drive piece that rounded off. You merely have to pull the front timing cover off to access the ATF pump. One time, I replaced the drive hex but did not replace the large o-ring that seals the ATF pump assembly to the timing cover. This o-ring leaked and caused drive slippage. I was ALMOST ready to pull the tranny, but thought I'd do this one first, and that was the problem.
6. If, at a stop, you DON'T need to use the brake or both feet to hold it in place, suspect slippage. Or if it doesn't respond smartly or quickly (sluggish is OK) when you roll the throttle on from a stop, it's slipping. You'll know it.
7. Some people have advised against shifting while in motion, and I am leery of this, but I still do it under ~35 mph. Mostly just leave it in High, unless under-50 mph hilly terrain. YMMV.
8. Your bars do not look stock, but if set up to you liking, it IS a Magic Carpet down the highway! Around town, too. You'll get an appreciation as to how much workload goes into (continually) shifting a 5-sp.

4. Buy a heavy flywheel and put it on a shelf near the bike. This will ensure the original doesn't fail.  :grin:

5. Yes, my hex piece rounded off at ~ 20k miles. The original is 6 mm. The pump coupling (part the hex piece fits into) on early Converts only has an 8 mm deep "socket", later ones are ~ 12 mm deep. I upgraded to the later coupling, but a 6 mm hex piece was still a sloppy fit in both the coupling and camshaft. 1/4"/6.3 mm was too large, so I had a local machinist surface grind 6.3 mm down to 6.2 mm which was a snug fit in both. Normally when that o-ring leaks, ATF mixes with the engine oil too.

6. My idle speed is set low enough that I do not need to hold the brakes or to keep it from rolling with my feet.

7. I've opened up at least 6 Convert transmissions and the majority have had rounded off shift dogs. This tell me that shifting on the fly is not such a good idea... 
Charlie

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here