Author Topic: Norge expanding gas tank  (Read 1055 times)

Offline nwguy

• Gosling
    • Jim Gallant's home page
Norge expanding gas tank
« on: June 25, 2021, 05:40:12 PM »
Went to put my gas tank back on after changing inner plugs and alternator belt. The rear mounting hole is out of alignment with the threaded mounting hole in the frame by almost 1/4", so I can't reinstall the tank. I removed the tank, cleaned the 2 recesses at the front with denatured alcohol and paper towels, then silicone sprayed the tank recesses. Wiggled the tank on as before, and same result. I had this happen with an 05' Multistrada and ended up with 2 tanks, one dries while the other is in use. I hate to think this is happening again. Admittedly it's hot here in the NW now, but the tank's been in my shady garage for weeks now. I've thought about trimming the 2 rubber mounts at the front to allow the tank to slide forward. Or, I could mill out the hole in the frame plate so it's slotted, and then use a washer and nut with the tank's bolt. Don't know if the seat would still fit OK then. Any thoughts?
Current:  08 Norge, 06 Suzuki Burgman, 06 Yamaha Morphous

Past:  3 Buell Lightnings, 02 BMW R1150RS
05 Ducati Multistrada, First gen Kawasaki Concours, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic, 02 Honda ST110, Aprilia Falco, Suzuki VX800, Yamaha Radian, Suzuki TS185, Yamaha RD400

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Norge expanding gas tank
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2021, 05:48:01 PM »
Ethanol gas strikes again!  If you had a first-gen. Multistrada you should be familiar with the problem.  Both bikes have a plastic fuel tank made from PA6 nylon, which expands when exposed to ethanol laced fuels. 

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2021, 05:52:47 PM »
I have cut many rubber tank bumpers. The tank grows but doesn't get smaller that I've seen. I have two 3/4" wood for this. Set up like a tent between back of tank mount to where the fuses are in back to the flat spot. Push down on the peak and tank goes forward and it's easy.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline nwguy

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2021, 06:28:38 PM »
I have cut many rubber tank bumpers. The tank grows but doesn't get smaller that I've seen. I have two 3/4" wood for this. Set up like a tent between back of tank mount to where the fuses are in back to the flat spot. Push down on the peak and tank goes forward and it's easy.

I tried jacking the tank back with bits of plywood and 2x2s. Could make it go about 1/8", but that's it. Fraid I'll have to sand the bumpers.

05 Ducati Multistrada, First gen Kawasaki Concours, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic, 02 Honda ST110, Aprilia Falco, Suzuki VX800, Yamaha Radian, Suzuki TS185, Yamaha RD400

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2021, 06:28:38 PM »

Offline guzziboy66

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2021, 06:45:12 PM »
Had the same problem.  First time I used ratchet straps, wood, etc and forced it to fit.  A year later a small piece of my upper fairing broke off...  seems related.  Anyway - this year i removed the tank and drained it in December.  April 1st I tested the fit and the tank fit perfectly.  I then coated the inside of the tank with the product from caswell.  So far so good.

Eric

EDIT - I also removed the he plumbing and vented the tank as per the "rest of the world"
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 06:59:33 AM by guzziboy66 »
The younger (slightly) Eric in NJ
Frenchtown, NJ

'14 GRiSO 1200 8V SE (I got her back!)
'14 Norge 1200 8V GT
'97 SPoRT 1100 (My first Guzzi has come home to me)
'98 Ducati 900 SS FE
'96 Sport 1100 Carbi (Gone but still in the family)

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2021, 08:41:21 PM »
There is a fuel tank pressure relief valve you might sometimes hear (screeching) on a hot day, as pressure from gasoline fumes builds in the fuel tank. 

Until I removed this valve, and vented to atmosphere, ala the 'rest of the world' (Euro, top photo) standard, my 2008 1200 Sport fuel tank developed nasty little bubbles that ran above the plastic/chrome wings on the fuel tank.  Once I removed the pressure relief valve and plumbed the system using the European layout, no more bubbles/bumps in the fuel tank.  Matter of fact, they went away on their own.  Did the same on my 2012 Griso, after I'd replaced the fuel tank under warranty due to deformation issues.  See PN 7 on second drawing.

Even after doing this, I usually had to insert a large Phillips screwdriver in the fuel tank rear mount and the fitting that held it to the bike, and lightly push it toward the front to get the tank mount holes to align, permitting me to bolt the tank back to the bike.

YMMV!

« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 08:53:37 PM by ohiorider »
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline Iron Cross Junction

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2021, 09:32:00 PM »

What the others said.

And, yes, maddening.   :cry:

I have two tanks for my Norge.

Most years -- code for "lethargy & sloth"  :rolleyes: -- I swap them.  Rinse the "old," and let it sit until next year.  Works.

Bill
Bill Hagan

Proud Member of Moto Guzzi's Envy-of-the-Industry Post-Sale R&D Program!

1998 V11 EV [98 EV]
2004 V11 Ballabio, Sold; sigh
2007 Norge [NORJ], Sold; sigh
2010 Griso [GRISO]
2016 Stornello [BEATA]
2017 V7 III [RADOŚĆ]

Offline nwguy

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2021, 09:27:42 AM »
What the others said.

And, yes, maddening.   :cry:

I have two tanks for my Norge.

Most years -- code for "lethargy & sloth"  :rolleyes: -- I swap them.  Rinse the "old," and let it sit until next year.  Works.

Bill

This is exactly what I did with my Multistrada. Crazy. I sold it because of that and the valve adjustment requirements. Loved it other than that.

Here's the bit I trimmed off the rubber mounts. Fits now, though tightly.

Offline twowings

• Gosling
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2021, 10:36:56 AM »
If you still have the evap canister pictured in the diagram, eliminate it.
Plenty of how-to explanations if you search...

Best single mod for the Norge besides swapping out the oil temp sensor.
Team Corse dal Delerium all'Oblivion
Moto Guzzi - 100 Anni Di Autentica Passione

Offline Napoleanblownapart

• New Egg
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2021, 11:08:09 AM »
I have heard of Guzzi's from the early part of the 2000's having this problem (and many other brands with plastic tanks) - I have had (and do have) several Guzzi's from V11 Sports to a Stelvio and have never had the issue. I do run high test E-Free fuel every few tanks, and will periodically simply siphon the ethanol fuel from my Guzzi's if I am not going to ride them for a while, and leave them sit with the filler caps open.
Perhaps 2 years ago, I called MG's main US office in New York and was able to speak with a rep there. She said that there just happened to be an engineer from the factory whom she would speak with and call me back. She did call me back later that day and stated that the engineer said E fuel is fine to run as long as it is over 90 octane, but not to leave the bike stored for long periods (perhaps months) with ethanol fuel in the tank. So, at least Guzzi had a comment for this issue, and since I have always stored my bikes with low/no fuel left in the tanks, I fortunately have avoided the issue.
...Carpe Cajones

1968 Greeves 36MX4 twin port, 1974 Bultaco Alpina 350, 1984 Moto Guzzi V65SP, 2001 Guzzi v11 sport, 2004 Guzzi V11 Sport, 2002 Ducati St4, 2008 Buell 1125R, 2017 KTM 1090R, 2020 Benelli TNT 135, ...

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2021, 12:37:48 PM »
My 07 Norge tank started expanding years ago but up to about 5 years ago I could persuade the rear bolt into place but that is no longer the case. I just gave up and ran a zip tie through the hole of the tank and the bolt hole once it was completely impossible to install the bolt.  And I have a brand new spare tank but this seems to be working OK.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2021, 02:40:03 PM »
There has been a running debate about if leaving the fuel tank empty to "air out" will cause it to shrink back to (or at least closer) it's normal shape.  Some say yes, others say it doesn't help.  As the owner of not one, but two Ducatis with the dreaded plastic fuel tanks, I've read and studied the problem for years.  All the tanks in question, as far as I know, are made and supplied by Acerbis of Italy for Ducati, Moto Guzzi, etc.  The tanks are roto-molded from PA-6 nylon, a white plastic which the manufactures loved because it held paint well, and could be molded into almost any shape.  Unfortunately, PA6 nylon is hygroscopic, meaning it will absorb moisture.  One engineering report I read said PA6 nylon can absorb up to 10% of its weight in water.  This is actually what causes the expansion, rather than a chemical reaction to the Ethanol directly.  It's also why some say leaving the tank open in a dry environment will allow it to shrink back towards its normal shape as (if?) the moisture escapes. 
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 02:41:35 PM by Motormike »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here