Author Topic: Tank bag with large map pouch  (Read 694 times)

Offline nwguy

• Gosling
    • Jim Gallant's home page
Tank bag with large map pouch
« on: June 23, 2021, 12:00:19 PM »
I've been reading threads on tank bags here and haven't quite found what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a tank bag for my 08 Norge that has a large enough map pouch to hold a standard US road map (AAA, Rand McNally, etc.) that's opened to show 2 of the folded sections. In other words, a large map pouch. I made a pouch with webbing loops on the back that slide over the too-narrow map case on my Tourmaster bag. The Tourmaster's map pouch has a usable width of 6.5". Two folds of a map is 7.5". Gotta wonder who made that design decision. Anyway, see pics below:

My Tourmaster tank bag shown with a map folded so 2 sections show.

My home made map case with that same map inside installed on top of the Tourmaster bag.

The webbing loops holding my home made pouch on the Tourmaster bag's map pouch flap.

With a too-small map pouch you have to fold your maps so much that they deteriorate quickly. I've seen numerous magnetic and non-magnetic map pouches, but I'd rather avoid trying to make one manufacturer's map pouch securely attach to another manufacturer's tank bag. I do use my phone for mapping when in urban areas, but I like paper maps when out in the countryside. Any suggestions for a good quality tank bag with a big enough map pouch? I've emailed Wolfman Luggage asking about the width of the map case on this one:

https://wolfmanluggage.com/collections/tank-bags/products/blackhawk-tank-bag-wp

But I haven't heard back from them yet. I'm also wishing someone would make a tank bag with no zippers, and would instead used drawstring with a bag-like enclosure. I really hate cheap, plastic coil zippers. Mine failed on my trip this summer and to stop stuff from falling out of it I had to put its rain cover on, which made it so I had to stop and take that cover off to see the map.
Current:  08 Norge, 06 Suzuki Burgman, 06 Yamaha Morphous

Past:  3 Buell Lightnings, 02 BMW R1150RS
05 Ducati Multistrada, First gen Kawasaki Concours, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic, 02 Honda ST110, Aprilia Falco, Suzuki VX800, Yamaha Radian, Suzuki TS185, Yamaha RD400

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
Re: Tank bag with large map pouch
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2021, 11:15:30 PM »
I once saw a tank bag on an old BMW that I still remember as impressive and well built. It was a sturdy thing and looked like it was designed by someone who actually used one on trips. German and expensive even 40 years ago and I’ve been looking for one ever since but I don’t remember the brand. It was brown, light canvas I think with a good size map pouch and double stitched with sheepskin to protect the tank. I’m still looking and your post made me think of it.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 11:13:29 AM by John A »
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Joliet Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Justus Esto, Et Non Metue
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2021, 09:40:16 AM »
I used to have a Revpack tank bag, really liked it on the Centauro. I might get another one, insurance claim from flood damage took the first.

1975 T160 Triumph Trident "Spot"
2002 Cali Stone "Moby Dick"
1998 Centauro "Psycho Chicken"
2003 Buell Blast "Pegasus"

Online 73 sport

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2021, 11:09:49 AM »
Check out "Chase Harper" motorcycle luggage.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2021, 11:09:49 AM »

Offline nwguy

• Gosling
    • Jim Gallant's home page
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2021, 03:55:08 PM »
Good suggestion. Thought I had. I'm liking this one:

https://chaseharperusa.com/collections/tank-bags/products/compac-line-1150-tank-bag

Check out "Chase Harper" motorcycle luggage.
Current:  08 Norge, 06 Suzuki Burgman, 06 Yamaha Morphous

Past:  3 Buell Lightnings, 02 BMW R1150RS
05 Ducati Multistrada, First gen Kawasaki Concours, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic, 02 Honda ST110, Aprilia Falco, Suzuki VX800, Yamaha Radian, Suzuki TS185, Yamaha RD400

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2021, 04:14:03 PM »
I have a BUSE that I have used for years on my T-3. Very well made and has a large map area. Mine is magnetic and not sure what they have now that would work on the Norge but here is a site.
http://www.buese.biz/en/cat100076
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Online AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2021, 04:44:01 PM »
I think my old Bagster opened that large. I LOVED their tank cover and bags, but they are import only now I believe. And their website is tricky to maneuver. It's a system, the bag mates to the tank cover. You can buy used on ebay. I'll probably be buying a larger used bag off of eBay in the near future.

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Offline Motorad64

• Hatchling
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2021, 07:40:37 PM »
I bought a new Chase Harper last year. I like it. Perfect size.  Not too big but can expand.  Useful map pocket. 

url img link

Offline zebep

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2021, 06:27:31 PM »
I need to get one for my v85

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2021, 09:00:58 PM »
I put a Fly Street Mini Bag on my V85TT. Has a decent sized map pocket and has the low profile I wanted.

The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2021, 09:56:54 AM »
I have a Medium Fly on my Audace. It is the second one I have had. Wore the first one out through mistreatment, overfill got was the main cause. It has a very large map area.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline JC85

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2021, 12:01:33 PM »
I'm glad this thread got started, as I'm going to be looking at new tank bags, and am worried that I'll have trouble finding one that has the features that I'm used to. My old Fieldsheer is wearing out, and I'm not sure that they even make them, anymore. It was 20+ year old new old stock, when I started using it, a few years ago, and I love it. The bottom compartment is large enough to hold all of my inclement weather gear (rain gear, boot covers, winter riding gloves, and facemask,) while the top compartment can hold my on-the-go items like phone, charge pack, registration, etc, while still staying relatively flat, and the map pack is large enough to hold a map in the way you're talking about.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 12:03:56 PM by JC85 »
'74 Eldo Police Model
'07 CalVin

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here