Author Topic: What is the origin of your user name?  (Read 167539 times)

Offline gsf12man

• Gosling
Re: What is the origin of your user name?
« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2011, 11:41:02 PM »
My username is obsolete, but I guess I'm stuck with it; named for my Suzuki Bandit 1200S, sold some time back. I miss it . . .
Tom K.

Suzuki V-Strom DL650A

Offline Sack

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2011, 12:24:02 AM »
Mine comes from Junior High and was my nickname among friends. It stuck and has been with me since.
'08 Norge and (mint) 1984 Honda VF700F Interceptor

Offline Gnigma

• Gosling
« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2011, 02:33:31 AM »
Several years ago I was "N-igma." Then the Compaq Windows machine I had crashed (again) and I was offline for several weeks until I tried reformatting the HD with a Linux OS. By that time, my user name had been ripped off (While the box was down, my ISP somehow decided I was no longer a customer). The Linux Gnome desktop labels lots of windows-similar apps by using the same name with a "g" added in front, so I did the same.
Jim

"There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a moonless night, and the anger of a gentle man." Patrick Rothfuss

'03 California EV 1100

hogdogs

« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2011, 02:38:12 AM »
I hunt wild hogs with bay dogs and use bulldogs to catch them so we can wrestle them down, tie 'em up and haul them home alive for butcherin' at a point in time to follow.

Carry no guns... just rely on a Buck 110 pocket knife for protection or emergency work.

Therefore, I became "hogdogs" on those forums and just chose to use it out of simplicity for every forum of any genre.

Brent

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2011, 02:38:12 AM »

Offline Damnyankee

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #64 on: July 02, 2011, 04:51:51 AM »
Funny thread. Here in the south..if you're a Yankee passing thru, you're a stupid Yankee. If you relocate here, you're a Damnyankee. I don't even have a name here after 13 years, even my boss calls me Damnyankee..hopeful ly a term of endearment :D I'll be retiring in a year or so and going home..I suppose then I'll have to change the handle to Stupidyankee...no, scratch that, I'm not likely to return to the south again...except to see family in FL.

Bless ya'll's hearts ;D

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: July 02, 2011, 05:12:14 AM »
My job involves investigating marine accidents. A friend gave me the nickname as a tongue in cheek poke- think, "Ace Ventura, pet detective".

hey Muley- sweet photo. Some good friends used to live in Lowesville, VA and had some mules. They always said they were way more intelligent and independent than the horses.
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Ragnar

« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2011, 05:25:00 AM »
My original user name on the board was "patrick". The board crashed some years agoand we all had to re-register, "patrick" was taken so I had to come up with another. At the time I was reading one of Bernard Cornwell's historical novels and like a character in that so used his name "Ragnar". I thought that as Cork in Ireland, where my family came from, was lone of the 1st Norse trading colonies, the name was appropriate. 

Offline Phang

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2011, 05:40:20 AM »
My last name/surname/family name  :)

2009 Griso 8V SE Tenni (Green)
2000 V11 Sport (Green)
1973 V7 Sport (Green)

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #68 on: July 02, 2011, 05:49:44 AM »
             Only too happy to spread the word, the best scotch I ever tried.  ;-T
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

Offline drdwb

• Gaggle Hero
    • backfeelsgreat.com
« Reply #69 on: July 02, 2011, 06:05:30 AM »
Was a quick and easy name I used for my first Email account when traveling to Russia with a group of Doctors  simple adding  Dr to initials of name David Wayne Butler Thus drdwb, creative hu.
07 Norge, 05 Baby Breva, 04 Stone  Touring , 03 EV, 82 650 Maxim 79 XS750 Special 78XS1100 Teraplane side car

Offline double.d

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2011, 06:53:35 AM »
My tits.
1986 Le Mans IV Black Since New
2014 K1300 R Black German Starship.

Offline drums4money

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2011, 06:56:14 AM »
Recorded & toured & restore vintage drums for... compensation...some times.
hypocrite, four flusher, snake in the grass, just a swindler and wolf in sheep's clothing...liar

1200 Sport , Monster S2R, MV Agusta B3 800

Old School Audio:
http://oldschoolaudio.wix.com/headphones

Offline AMFrider

• Gosling
« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2011, 07:27:42 AM »
It used say it was short for Andrew Michael Frider, but that was a fib. It's because fifteen years or so into my ownership of an old Superglide and long before switching to a 'Guzzi, I grew tired and embarrassed at being thought of as a Harley biker. That would have been about the time MotorClothes and collectable trinkets were taking up more catalog space than loud pipes.

So I painted over the tank's HD logo leaving the little AMF decal and told anyone that asked what king of bike I rode that it was an American Machine and Foundry Superglide. 

John N. Finn  Winona, Minnesota

'98 EV
'61 Whitcraft Houseboat (twin Volvos)

Arctic Dude

« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2011, 07:29:53 AM »
My friends in southern Ontario joke that I moved up to the Arctic!  In the middle of January here it sometimes feels like it.

Offline Michael D

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2011, 07:39:28 AM »
The 1st part pretty obvious.  The 2nd part, well A, B, & C were taken.   :D
74 V7 Sport
98 V11 EV
Tulsa, Oklahoma

Offline Moto Fugazzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waiting on a sign from God, or a nod from hell.
    • Griso
« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2011, 07:46:59 AM »
Ken
2004 V11 Cafe Sport
2009 V7C White
2007 Griso Black-Sold
1978 V50 II Blue-Sold

Offline Moto Fugazzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waiting on a sign from God, or a nod from hell.
    • Griso
« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2011, 07:53:09 AM »
First time my friend saw my Griso, he said: "what is that? A Moto Fugazi"?.
Fugazi is one of my favorite bands from years ago, and also means f*cked up. I just added another z to the name.
It works for me.
Ken
Ken
2004 V11 Cafe Sport
2009 V7C White
2007 Griso Black-Sold
1978 V50 II Blue-Sold

Offline DaddyRabbit

• Gosling
« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2011, 08:22:46 AM »
5 kids and we take in miscellaneous family members.  Stuck to me years ago and so thats who I am to my family.
Ride with your kids...its cheap therapy for both of you.

03 Cali SS - gone
07 Vintage - gone
09 Stelvio -gone
13 California 1400
18 KTM 1290 SAS

Online Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2011, 08:32:53 AM »
Mine started while serving in the Air Force.  My call sign was changed from "goosebump" to "blue goose" when I promoted to E-3.  I worked with explosives and while on a temporary deployment in January of '91 to "a desert", I did some things that were not exactly anticipated (nor legal today) when it came to handling said explosives.  My bomb chief witnessed me in the act during a random quality inspection and said that was the wildest thing I have ever seen.  He then jokingly said we are changing your call sign to "wild goose"...now be more careful, followed by a  :).  My how things have changed in the last 20 years.  "It's just a bomb, what's the worse that could happen Chief?"...said this naive 21 year old hillbilly E-3? The return look was priceless and very memorable.  I changed my ways...a little bit.

Upon starting my first website in 1996, I used some hosting space from a friend of mine who's last name is Chase, so I called it the "Wildgoose Chase", kinda combining the two names.  Then, it became "wildguzzi" when I bought a real domain name in in 1998 because wildgoose was taken. Funny how a few of my old buddies still refer to me as wildgoose after all this time.

Ironic how I ended up riding Guzzi's when I've been a Honda guy all my life.  Guess it was fate to make it home and start riding Guzzis ;-T
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited
2021 TaoTao TBR7

elvisboy77

« Reply #79 on: July 02, 2011, 08:37:07 AM »
Back in the 80s I was walking down the street in downtown Washington DC and a errr ..... elderly gentleman asked me if I had any change.  I did not and told him so.  I guess that made him angry because he started cussing at me and said "you are just another $#%@#$%  white trash elvisboy"  I guess it had a certain ring to it.....and I graduated high school in 1977.

One look at my hair in the avatar pic confirms that I am, in fact, a #$%#$%$% white trash elvisboy.  And proud of it.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 08:38:45 AM by elvisboy77 »

wiseoldfool

« Reply #80 on: July 02, 2011, 08:54:49 AM »
Mine's pretty descriptive! I'm considered old by most people around me (who are young in their eyes at least  ;)  ) Wise well that's part of being old I guess you learn some things along the way and fool because being old and wise doesn't prevent me from being foolish.

Offline jj145

• New Egg
« Reply #81 on: July 02, 2011, 09:15:21 AM »
Just a nickname for an airplane that I flew at the end of my airline career. JJ= jungle jet.

Online Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #82 on: July 02, 2011, 10:14:16 AM »
In college I picked up the Dilli nickame; it's what people always told me after I opened my mouth...

Does It Look Like I Give a ......

Other people use the Dilli or Dillagaf as a username (like Matt here), but I've never come accross another DilliW (Westbury)
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline Guido Valvole

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #83 on: July 02, 2011, 10:27:47 AM »
It's a play on Don Novello's Father Guido Sarducci character in the old Saturday Night Live.

25 years ago I lived in a funky, cheap apartment in Berkeley CA and had a menagerie of bikes in the echo-chamber garage. Most notable was a Ducati Darmah, which was an ongoing project. How very Italian… Some neighbor asked who I was one day and I said "I'm Father Guido Valvole" as a wise-guy answer. Residents of the building were an eclectic mix of Cal students, GTU (Graduate Theological Union, amalgamation of seminaries on Holy Hill) students and cheapskates like me. Might as well have been International House as well, interesting mix of people and never a dull moment.

Especially when I'd light up the Darmah with Bub "Conti Replica" pipes in the garage or driveway  ;D I think that was the loudest motor vehicle in the People's Republic of Berkeley at the time. Political correctness not spoken here!  ~;
cr
V50 II
V50 Monza
Le Mans 1000 (IV)
Martinez, CA

Lank

« Reply #84 on: July 02, 2011, 10:45:39 AM »
My son had a friend who would ride in the back seat of his car.  He would lean his lotza hair against the window and it would get all oily and funked up.  He was called  "Lank".  Later I bought an oilhead BMW and somehow it got named Lank and I kept it with the Guzzi which is also pretty much an oilhead.

Offline AMGeneral

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #85 on: July 02, 2011, 11:38:26 AM »
I like to have unusual vehicles. So I got one of these. AM General FJ-8C it's an old mail delivery van. Right drive and Chrysler/Jeep based driveline.

2000 Jackal 62,900

Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

"Just think how stupid the average person is,
and then realize that half of them
are even stupider!"
--George Carlin

ItalianSpiderman

« Reply #86 on: July 02, 2011, 11:42:54 AM »
Because ItalianSpiderman is too good a username not to use, and somebody has to be ItalianSpiderman!

Or it may have to do with the couple of Italian Spiders I have in the garage... 8)

« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 11:44:31 AM by ItalianSpiderman »

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #87 on: July 02, 2011, 11:45:25 AM »
Back in 2001, while I was still in the security business I met a fellow by the name of Dave Grossman.  He had just delivered an excellent presentation based on the following essay (its a bit long, but an excellent read):
http://www.killology.com/sheep_dog.htm
It had a profound effect on me, as I had spent a good part of my life (about 24 years) in the para-military trade.  Colonel Grossman's "Killology" moniker may seem off-putting, but he understands the "warrior class" very well and personally helped me to approach my profession with honor.  In addition, he helped me reconcile the suicide of my brother (USMC vet from Desert Storm including some intense combat) and gave me some insights on how to help ease my daughter's return from Iraq in '05 (she also saw a bit of action and was nominated for the Bronze Star).  I resolved that I would try to live my life as a "Sheepdog" and use this name as an homage to Dave.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline roofus

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I must remember to cancel my turn signal!"
« Reply #88 on: July 02, 2011, 11:54:50 AM »
my dogs name!
2010 V7 Cafe, 2013 V7 Special, 2013 Norton Commando 961SF, 2016 BMW R1200GS

wiseoldfool

« Reply #89 on: July 02, 2011, 12:05:06 PM »
This is a brilliant thread  :)

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here