Author Topic: What's the deal with 10W60 motor oil  (Read 72559 times)

Offline youcanrunnaked

• Gaggle Hero
  • '03 California EV; Suzuki SV650; Suzuki DR650
Re: What's the deal with 10W60 motor oil
« Reply #150 on: February 13, 2015, 09:07:20 PM »
An oil thread with 150 posts?  It must still be winter where you guys live.  ;D

I use whatever the manufacturer says I should use.  I guess if I was needing to add or change oil in an emergency away from home, I would use the closest spec oil available, on the theory that not enough oil or spent oil is worse than a sightly out-of-spec oil.

FWIW, the better independent European auto shops in my area strongly advise BMW owners against having oil changes done at the dealer, due to BMW's agreement with Castrol to use Castrol oils, exclusively, at their dealerships.  They say the Castrol stuff is utter crap, and they cite the number of sludged engines they have had to replace for irate BMW owners as proof.  These independent shops (including my mechanic) all recommend full syn Luqui Moly.

"The transverse vibration is a great sensation -- hey, I think I just wrote a song!"
-- Billy Joel, Motorcyclist, 02/2012

"If Moto Guzzi were any more of a cult, you'd need a chicken."
--- Dan Neil, The Wall Street Journal, 04/19/2013

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re:
« Reply #151 on: February 13, 2015, 09:48:26 PM »
And in other news BMW today declared bankruptcy because all their 100k mile warranty certified pre-owned vehicles all died suddenly due to using Castrol.... Or not
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

oldbike54

« Reply #152 on: February 13, 2015, 09:58:08 PM »
Luap may have to consider a moratorium on oil threads  ;D

Dusty

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #153 on: February 13, 2015, 10:25:19 PM »
Luap may have to consider a moratorium on oil threads  ;D

Dusty

I think this is why there is a message that comes up if you resurrect a thread over 6 months old.   P:)

You mean we really needed to bring a dead, 3-year-old oil thread back to life in the middle of the winter?  :P

I suppose it's not hurting anyone, but some of those questions like "What do I do if I need 10W60 oil on a trip and I can't find it?" .... well, watch me follow my own advice and let it drop!   ;-T

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #153 on: February 13, 2015, 10:25:19 PM »

Penderic

« Reply #154 on: February 14, 2015, 01:51:04 AM »
Only our oil gives you peace of mind.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 01:52:19 AM by Penderic »

Offline gsf12man

• Gosling
« Reply #155 on: February 14, 2015, 09:32:51 AM »
I think this is why there is a message that comes up if you resurrect a thread over 6 months old.   P:)

You mean we really needed to bring a dead, 3-year-old oil thread back to life in the middle of the winter?  :P

I suppose it's not hurting anyone, but some of those questions like "What do I do if I need 10W60 oil on a trip and I can't find it?" .... well, watch me follow my own advice and let it drop!   ;-T

... after replying, of course . . .;-T P:) ~;
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 09:34:23 AM by gsf12man »
Tom K.

Suzuki V-Strom DL650A

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #156 on: February 14, 2015, 12:58:11 PM »
... after replying, of course . . .;-T P:) ~;

Not only that, but replying TWICE, once to make the point and once to respond to "Hey, YOU replied."  :D

Sometimes that's why threads can never end.   Nobody wants to think that someone else got "the last word in".   

Now I'M in the "last word" hot seat, unless someone else just can't resist ...  ~;

Lannis

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Geese Fly in a Proper V
« Reply #157 on: February 14, 2015, 01:18:18 PM »
Not only that, but replying TWICE, once to make the point and once to respond to "Hey, YOU replied."  :D

Sometimes that's why threads can never end.   Nobody wants to think that someone else got "the last word in".   

Now I'M in the "last word" hot seat, unless someone else just can't resist ...  ~;

Lannis

Resistance is futile. ~;
If you wish to know what a man is, place in him authority.
False accusations reflect more on the accuser than the accused.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
Do or don't do. There is no try.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

redrider

« Reply #158 on: February 14, 2015, 01:38:55 PM »
Interesting snippet from Bob's site regarding esters. Esters bond to the metal surfaces if the metal is positively charged. So, let's scrap all electrics and convert to positive ground.

Offline Crusty

• Gaggle Hero
  • You can't put a price on Worthlessness.
« Reply #159 on: February 14, 2015, 04:50:28 PM »
Interesting snippet from Bob's site regarding esters. Esters bond to the metal surfaces if the metal is positively charged. So, let's scrap all electrics and convert to positive ground.

So if I look into my oil, I can see ester? But only if I look during the afternoon.
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

'07 Norge

Offline gsf12man

• Gosling
« Reply #160 on: February 15, 2015, 06:15:20 PM »

What is synthetic oil? Is it oil or is it something not made from oil and if it is made from oil why is it called synthetic oil? So what the hell is it?

I found this article useful:

http://www.waynesgarage.com/docs/synthetic_oils.htm
Tom K.

Suzuki V-Strom DL650A

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #161 on: February 16, 2015, 08:48:56 AM »
Great information. Very interesting, so fully syn oil totally man made product, never knew that.

I bet 90 percent of people who post on these oil threads don't have a clue as to what it is. LOL

Well, to be truthful, it's not SO much more "man-made" than "regular" oil.

You still have to extract hydrocarbons (petroleum in a wide sense) from the ground (pump it out of a well) and process it via chemical reactions to produce the end-product.  Just a different process with "synthetics".

Lannis

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
« Reply #162 on: February 16, 2015, 10:19:19 AM »
More info than anyone would need.

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/faq.php?faq=haas_articles

Dean
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Offline Irn

• Gosling
  • 2004 Breva750 2007 BMW F800ST 2006 Vespa GTS2500
« Reply #163 on: February 17, 2015, 08:49:01 AM »
Dean, I love reading Oil threads, so much entertainment.  The link you posted was amazing, I now I understand what is going with my BMW F800ST.  Recent oil change, BMW went from recommending 10w-40 0r 15w-40 dino juice to 10w-50 synthetic.  Some folks on the F800.org site swore by 15w-40 Shell Rotella Diesel, had the right additives for wet clutch and transmission.  Not sure what the previous owner used, I made the switch and noticed the following.  Bike shifted better, less transmission clunks into first, and was quieter 2-3 second after start up, less chain noise from valve train, however a bit harder to crank in the morning, and mind you nothing cold here this winter in San Francisco!  The link explained the difference between viscosity W rating and how much better a synthetic oil flowed when cold regardless of W viscosity rating. It was long, but a good read. Short story follow what the current recommendations are from the manufacturer and read oil threads for entertainment.

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #164 on: February 17, 2015, 08:55:40 AM »
Short story follow what the current recommendations are from the manufacturer and read oil threads for entertainment.

This is the easiest to follow and most sensible bit of advice I've ever seen in an oil thread!
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Crusty

• Gaggle Hero
  • You can't put a price on Worthlessness.
« Reply #165 on: February 17, 2015, 09:54:37 AM »
Short story follow what the current recommendations are from the manufacturer and read oil threads for entertainment.

This is the easiest to follow and most sensible bit of advice I've ever seen in an oil thread!

I agree; but you need to follow the rules. Oil threads should never be contaminated by logical advice or facts.
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

'07 Norge

Bill Hagan

« Reply #166 on: February 17, 2015, 11:59:04 AM »
I agree; but you need to follow the rules. Oil threads should never be contaminated by logical advice or facts.

That's where I come in.  As in I'm not a vector contaminator.  Logic is for kids.   ;D

Hmmmmm.  Just noticed.  There is "oil" in LOgIc.    ;)

Bill

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #167 on: February 17, 2015, 12:44:24 PM »
Oil threads are generally just a game.  No harm in them, but people do get emotional sometimes, like they might in a poker game.

They have a potentially useful role in allowing posters to point other posters to information about oil, such as the "Standards" documents for oil performance ratings, descriptions of what the weight (viscosity) figures mean, etc, although Google or something of the sort can do exactly the same thing; there's no one here who's any more of an expert on that than anywhere else.  OR someone might say "Where's the cheapest place to buy the 10W60 oil that my bike uses?".   Again, your search engines can find that answer faster than anyone on the list, unless you just like talking about it, which is normal.

But otherwise, it's often just a way to feed the "I Want To Be Special" and "I Want To Be An 'Insider'" jones that many people have, and that I had once till I thought about it and quit.

Every single motorcycle in the world comes with (or came with, and it's easy to find) a specification for what oil to use in it.  And in Internet World, that oil is immediately available at your front door in two days courtesy of a card number and a UPS truck.   It's a complete non-issue and a non-problem, finding the right oil.

UNLESS you just want a reason to be an "insider".   The "insider" doesn't want to be anyone's "boy"; they don't want to use the oil or filter specified by the manufacturer, because that's what everyone ELSE does, and if everyone ELSE is doing it, then they're not "insiders".   So you have to find a way to be able to say "Look over here, junior - we got the REAL info.   REAL rider-mechanics don't use that 20W50 that the book says, because it hasn't got enough orc-snot in it; WE use Silverlode Special elf-lube 25W-62, and it's cheap too ...." and there's enough such factions so that they even start arguments and fights among themselves.

The real high-mileage, 100K, 200K, 300K-on-one-bike Guzzi (or other brand) riders don't play that game - they just use the recommended or equivalent oils in their bikes and ride them, because they know that NO ONE has any real, controlled, real-world-applicable information that says that if the oil is changed regularly and the bike used as designed, that one oil is any better than another .....

Anyway, that's my opinion after years and years of reading thousands of posts on many forums on the subject; it's just entertainment, like discussing whether Gil Hodges or Hank Aaron was a better ballplayer.   Others' opinion may vary.

Lannis

Offline Loftness

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #168 on: February 17, 2015, 03:01:30 PM »
Hank Aaron obviously
Fletch

2013 V7 Stone
1984 V65sp
1986 Vespa T5
1974 BMW R90/6

Offline gsf12man

• Gosling
« Reply #169 on: March 03, 2015, 07:55:31 PM »
Well, to be truthful, it's not SO much more "man-made" than "regular" oil.

You still have to extract hydrocarbons (petroleum in a wide sense) from the ground (pump it out of a well) and process it via chemical reactions to produce the end-product.  Just a different process with "synthetics".

Another type of base oil is made from refined and processed esters and is called Group V. Esters start life as fatty acids in plants and animals, which are then chemically combined into esters, diesters, and polyesters. Your vegetarian girlfriend should love that. Group V base stocks are the most expensive of all to produce. However, the esters are polar molecules and have very significant solvent properties - an ester base oil all by itself will do a very decent job of keeping your engine clean. So, people who are serious about making a superior oil will usually mix some Group V oils into their base stock.

Source:

http://calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Oils1.html
Tom K.

Suzuki V-Strom DL650A

al74dart

« Reply #170 on: March 05, 2015, 08:32:50 AM »
Here is a link to a very good and interesting motor oil wear test.  It has photos showing the actual wear and explains how the test was done along with how much pressure each oil could took for the wear shown.  The top oil in their test was Penrite Synthetic 5 which I believe has been changed.  I went to the Penrite website and found they make a 20W-60 racing oil called Penrite Racing 20.  This oil should be about the best you can get for that weight oil.  It's available from Summit Racing here in the US.

Link to the oil test:   http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf

Link to Penrite:   http://www.penriteoil.com.au/

Link to Summit Racing:   http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/pno-r20w605/overview/

Al

RickTReloaded

« Reply #171 on: March 05, 2015, 11:46:07 AM »
5 pages of oil talk.  :)  I have about 1500 more miles to go before my next full service using Agip 10W60.  But I'm topping off my '13 V7 Stone until then using Liqui Moly from Napa - currently on sale for $10.80/liter.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Motor-Oil-Liqui-Moly-RaceTech-100-Synthetic-10W60-1l/_/R-AOALM2068_0435903871

Offline nikwax

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #172 on: March 05, 2015, 03:01:34 PM »
2014 Ducati Multistrada GT
2011 Norge GT 8V "Otto Valvole" (gone after 32k miles)
2001 BMW R1150 GS (gone after 100,000 miles)

Offline drlapo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #173 on: March 05, 2015, 03:28:25 PM »

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here