Author Topic: How was your day  (Read 505858 times)

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
Re: How was your day
« Reply #2430 on: September 11, 2020, 10:33:37 AM »
but they were hard enough to keep in tune that the factory reverted on later Mk IIs and Mk IIIs to twin 2 inch SUs.

Twin SU's were always needing attention also on our old Volvo 122S's, I remember learning to synch those with my Dad using a Unisyn. 

Back in the day, I'd use power steering fluid in the column to provide a bit faster response, tinkering with needles and setups always a fun process to get faster response on the SU's.  At one point, I considered converting the whole setup to a Weber, but the SU's were really quite responsive if maintained (read tinkered with) regularly.

Haynes manuals were a savior for working on these old cars for sure!

Now, if a Lotus Esprit were to show up unannounced (James Bond style), I would love to have one of those in the garage!
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2431 on: September 11, 2020, 06:50:38 PM »
That’s some serious hard work for an ultralight wing...

That *is* a fact. It is every bit as difficult to build as any wing I've seen. That is why I'm doing it. I was looking at the - thing, and realized I really needed something to do for at least a year. It's built like a real airplane with wood and steel. Lots of little parts. I could build a "real" airplane with the same amount of labor, of course.  :smiley: But.. no FAA, no tax man. Open the hanger door and fly whenever I want from point A to point A.  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #2432 on: September 12, 2020, 05:24:32 PM »
Twin SU's were always needing attention also on our old Volvo 122S's, I remember learning to synch those with my Dad using a Unisyn. 

When my wife and laterly daughter had twin carbed MG110 landcrab and laterly mini with that motor in I would just use the plastic hose in each ear trick.  It worked remarkably well.  I found the SU's stayed pretty good overall, both for the sychronisation and for tune, and once you got the hang of the sequence, very quick to do.

The CV carbs give a pretty good trade off between performance and economy.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

oldbike54

« Reply #2433 on: September 12, 2020, 06:45:12 PM »
When my wife and laterly daughter had twin carbed MG110 landcrab and laterly mini with that motor in I would just use the plastic hose in each ear trick.  It worked remarkably well.  I found the SU's stayed pretty good overall, both for the sychronisation and for tune, and once you got the hang of the sequence, very quick to do.

The CV carbs give a pretty good trade off between performance and economy.

Had a '67 Sprite with two small SU carbs , same method was taught me by an old tuner, yes , it is simple and effective .

Dusty

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #2433 on: September 12, 2020, 06:45:12 PM »

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2434 on: September 12, 2020, 07:45:34 PM »
Due to good grandchildren obligations didn't get a ride in today but WOW, great day and currently sitting on my front porch just after sunset, mild breeze and 73 degrees with proper adult beverage. Dosn't get much better unless riding. :thumb:
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #2435 on: September 12, 2020, 09:31:30 PM »
Had a '67 Sprite with two small SU carbs , same method was taught me by an old tuner, yes , it is simple and effective .

Dusty
I was into SU carbs early on - 1961, with my 1958 PV 444 Volvo.  There was another way to balance them at idle.  It involved removing the dashpot caps on each carb, and placing an "L" shaped wire in each dashpot.  I made these wire tools out of coat hanger wire.  Both were identical in size.  One was placed in each dashpot, with the horizontal piece of each wire pointed toward the other.  The goal was to adjust the carbs until the horizontal pieces of wire were at the same level.  Essentially using the wire to assure both pistons in the carbs were at the same height.  Of course, this was only good at idle, since, without the dashpot 'shock rods' installed, all the engine would do with advanced throttle was bounce the vacuum pistons wildly up and down.

Learned a lot with the PV444.  SU adjusting, static ignition timing, but most of all, just how much fun this little Swedish car was to drive fast thru the twisties on those skinny 5.90 - 15 tires!

SU Carburettors ............ there will always be an England!

Bob
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 09:33:33 PM by ohiorider »
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2436 on: September 13, 2020, 05:35:17 PM »
Did about 350 miles through mostly N central KS today. Currently at the "Surf" motel in Marysville, KS. Will take a meandering ride home tomorrow. Damn near as perfect a weather day today as one could ask for.  :thumb:
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline mobiker

• Hatchling
« Reply #2437 on: September 13, 2020, 06:15:31 PM »
Did about 350 miles through mostly N central KS today. Currently at the "Surf" motel in Marysville, KS. Will take a meandering ride home tomorrow. Damn near as perfect a weather day today as one could ask for.  :thumb:
GliderJohn

:thumb: :thumb:
I spent the night in Marysville a few years ago. I can't remember the motel, but I remember i was an old time motel that was really well kept up. Right on 36, and IIRC, on the west end of town. I also remember getting a decent steak dinner, but can't remember where. Lot of help I am  :rolleyes:

Got in 125 or so miles today. Weather perfect here too. Saw a bald eagle. So to answer the op: my day has been good   :grin:
Mike

'88 BMW R100GS

Offline john fish

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2438 on: September 23, 2020, 03:36:07 PM »
Bit of a ride today for a picnic lunch with other bikes.

Friendship Hill national historic site. Nice parking and picnic area.  Albert Gallatin’s country home. I’m amazed that he could get all that material and those craftsmen to what was, at the time, the frontier.

Some of you have probably seen this track on tv. Passed it on the way.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 03:38:36 PM by john fish »
He lost the run of himself.

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #2439 on: September 26, 2020, 01:51:11 PM »
Had a pretty good day on Friday. It was my birthday,  so we saddled up the Mille and rode up McClure Pass, about 70 miles out and back, to enjoy a picnic lunch amongst the orange-gold aspens. Gail made a pot roast. We went out for some live music and danced on the lawn under a half-moon. All my joints still work.

Lots of phone calls and emails from old friends. In the category "The older we get the better we were" I received this 30-year-old photo of me churning up a couloir in Argentina. Now that was a great day.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 01:53:13 PM by Testarossa »
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

oldbike54

« Reply #2440 on: September 26, 2020, 02:46:14 PM »
 Thanks guys  :thumb:

Dusty

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2441 on: September 26, 2020, 02:59:10 PM »

I took Max with me to deliver a stairlift part to Chadwick, Mo. and he barfed in the back seat on the way home.  :sad: 
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2442 on: September 26, 2020, 03:19:38 PM »
Marley was really sick this last week. Thinking food or other poisoning of some sort. Local vet was overloaded and couldn't get him in. Thought we might have to take him to the doggy ER in Wichita. We woke up yesterday and Marley was 90% back to his old self and is playing some today.  :thumb:
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2443 on: September 26, 2020, 04:04:36 PM »
Max just had some motion sickness, He hurled on the way to Luap & Lasandra's too.<shrug>starting to think he's not a road trip kinda dude  :laugh: Glad Marley is doing better!   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaGUr6wzyT8 <<when I hear "MARLEY" this is what comes to mind!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 04:06:46 PM by Guzzistajohn »

Offline john fish

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2444 on: September 26, 2020, 05:41:06 PM »
Good luck, Marley!!  Glad you’re feeling better, hope it continues.

Anybody else here like animals more than people?

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2445 on: September 26, 2020, 07:57:57 PM »
Marley just suckered me for a "bacon bit" treat. He is back to training me to his needs.

GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

GeorgiaGuzzi

« Reply #2446 on: September 26, 2020, 08:34:15 PM »

Yes, I do. I’m partial to dogs, but I really like pretty much all animals. The same cannot be said of my feelings towards my fellow humans.

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2447 on: September 27, 2020, 02:19:40 AM »

More and more every day

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2448 on: September 27, 2020, 03:23:07 AM »
My first ride with the bike now registered coincided with a weather bomb.  Wind was howling so I just fired it up in the shed and circulated the oil a bit.  Need to fix a leak around the exhaust pipe/muffler joint.  Sounds as though I blew the gasket out 4 months ago on my trip home.

Sunday night now, worst of bomb supposed to be gone by Wednesday....... Sigh.
03 Breva

oldbike54

« Reply #2449 on: September 27, 2020, 04:20:54 PM »
 90 miles of back roads , met up with Michael D , we hung out for a couple of hours .

Dusty

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2450 on: September 27, 2020, 07:11:44 PM »
Marley just suckered me for a "bacon bit" treat. He is back to training me to his needs.

GliderJohn
What a beautiful, benevolent master!  Asks little, gives a lot.  And all he demands in taxes is an occasional Bacon Bit!

Bob

Offline leroysch

• Gosling
« Reply #2451 on: September 27, 2020, 08:57:45 PM »
1. Pressure regulator replacement gave a new lease on life for my air compressor.
2. Coolant thermistor replacement was the correct diagnosis for the Duck (apparently) not getting to normal operating temperature. Plan B was the thermostat.
3. I have a spare thermostat for the Duck
'88 FLST
'95 Ducati 916
'04 V11 LeMans
'06 FLHX
'09 Buell 1125R
'17 BMW R Nine T
'19 H2 SX SE+
'22 Pan America

Offline john fish

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2452 on: September 28, 2020, 10:41:45 AM »
You know it’s autumn when:

current monitor resolution

You take ALL the gloves when you go for a ride.

Online larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2453 on: September 28, 2020, 12:45:45 PM »

Me!
Not such a good weekend. Had to bury one of the cats Saturday. She was 16 and seemed plenty healthy for her age. Mrs. larrys found her dead on the office floor. Cats, dogs, they all find a way into your heart... You accept the baggage that you're going to outlive them when you bring that kitten or puppy home.
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Offline john fish

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2454 on: September 28, 2020, 05:47:15 PM »
Me!
Not such a good weekend. Had to bury one of the cats Saturday. She was 16 and seemed plenty healthy for her age. Mrs. larrys found her dead on the office floor. Cats, dogs, they all find a way into your heart... You accept the baggage that you're going to outlive them when you bring that kitten or puppy home.
Larry

Man, I'm sorry to hear that.  I cried like a baby when I took my cat Pico on his last trip to the vet.

oldbike54

« Reply #2455 on: September 28, 2020, 09:53:22 PM »
 Got a tail wag from our dog a couple of minutes ago , first one in two weeks . He seems to finally be improving . I am a fair enough doggie nurse .

Dusty

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2456 on: September 28, 2020, 11:28:46 PM »
Got a tail wag from our dog a couple of minutes ago , first one in two weeks . He seems to finally be improving . I am a fair enough doggie nurse .

Dusty

:thumb: :thumb:
03 Breva

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2457 on: October 03, 2020, 02:30:37 AM »
First ride of the season today. :thumb:

Have spent the last couple of days doing stuff for wife and son, all the while the bike has been sitting with a(nother) broken indicator.  The Breva ones sit way out in the breeze and are sadly not equipped with a flexible coupling. so they catch in everything and break. :evil:   I had a couple of big round Yamaha ones that just fit in the curve of the flyscreen nicely.  Made up some brackets from some 1/2" galv water pipe and a bit of scrap so that they tuck in a lot closer to the headlamp and sit in the curve nicely.  Nice fine warm day so i had light to see to rewire and squeeze it al together.  They might look a bit ugly but function trumps form and I'm happy.  Even with a low tanks worth of 4 month old fuel the bike firted right up so I did about 25 miles gassing up and going for a wee ride.

Nice! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

03 Breva

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2458 on: October 03, 2020, 06:13:58 PM »
This time of year, Fay and I enjoy setting up a fire ring outdoors in the middle of a field, getting a good bed of hot coals, sitting around it in the evening as it burns down, then grilling something good over it; anything from thick slices of bacon, or sausages, or a couple of nice steaks, with potatoes, onions, and sweet potatoes baking in the coals, and then marshmallows toasted for dessert.

The fun part is that we make a little ceremony of "Renewing the Ancient Compact Between Men and Dogs".   We recognize that the very first wild canids and the primitive men first got together around a fire, with the man feeding the dog in return for the dog alerting him to danger, or hunting for him, or fighting with him against wild(er) beasts.

We never feed Jack the Border Collie from the dinner table; and when we "reward" him with treats for putting away his toys, or fetching something from the house for us or whatever, he's all excited and jumping around; he'll grab it and run off and eat it.

But when we talk to him about the Ancient Compact, he sits quietly a few feet from the fire while we cut him a bit of bacon or beef from what we are eating, and then comes very formally over to us and takes it, and lays down by the fire to eat it.   He seems to know that we are not feeding him "dog food", we are sharing food WE could have eaten with him, and it's completely different, and he acts that way ....

Anyhow, it's fun to imagine that he KNOWS, just like we do ...

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2459 on: October 03, 2020, 06:37:44 PM »

Dusty
Is this Benny?  If so, best wishes.  If another pooch, best wishes, too.

Bob

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here