Author Topic: How was your day  (Read 505866 times)

Online tazio

• Gaggle Hero
Re: How was your' day
« Reply #600 on: February 01, 2014, 07:48:26 AM »
Hmm , not great . Maybe we all need to take a deep breath and remember to respect each other .
Dusty

Sent from a submarine in Oklahoma .
On the bright side, you are only 21min's and 45 seconds into it :BEER:
Respect each other, absolutely!
Aretha could sure sing the hell out of that one, couldn't she!?!
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #601 on: February 01, 2014, 08:05:40 AM »
It has to come up 5* and I'm going for a ride. Should have went yesterday. Snow is about gone, only in the shaded areas.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #602 on: February 01, 2014, 08:21:14 AM »
Long day yesterday, 577 mile loop and two service calls, Also found out you can't rock facter than 45MPH in Kansas
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

oldbike54

« Reply #603 on: February 01, 2014, 09:08:42 AM »
Long day yesterday, 577 mile loop and two service calls, Also found out you can't rock facter than 45MPH in Kansas

Did they also have SLOW children ?
Dusty

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #603 on: February 01, 2014, 09:08:42 AM »

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Geese Fly in a Proper V
« Reply #604 on: February 01, 2014, 11:05:07 AM »
Did they also have SLOW children ?
Dusty

Only in neighborhoods with Harvard grads.   ;) :D
If you wish to know what a man is, place in him authority.
False accusations reflect more on the accuser than the accused.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
Do or don't do. There is no try.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Penderic

« Reply #605 on: February 01, 2014, 12:06:02 PM »
Time flies when computer parts need replacing ...Mostly successful ... my new internet wireless adapter for my desktop works great and connects directly to the base unit in another building way up a hill.

And without using our old wireless repeater. Browsing goes much faster now.

New base unit too - I got that first. Got the one the PC magazines chose as best choice 3 years ago, Not the latest hardware - thats to get the better mature price..... (no more first in line to get the latest!). Works great - long distance range but my adapter on the receiving end, was too weak to lock on and talk back.

Lots of advice - the wireless pirates that lurk or roam with laptops and long range antenna- recommended a small cheap wireless adapter series that can clip on to a laptop or stick on a window -and has a separate antenna that can be extended easily. Little thing puts out 5 times the signal of the bigger store units! (I found out the store units are powered down to meet regulations - but the ones available on Amazon from overseas are not.)

So now my connection to the internet Matrix is superb! Have to get a high res webcam for hi res Skype calls next!  ;-T On order!

And this new keyboard and mouse (it is a cheapo spare) is ok but I had to epoxy the side mouse buttons - way too sensitive and no way to turn them off! I lost a couple of posts by accident....  ::( darn! Time for a better keyboard mouse combo.

oldbike54

« Reply #606 on: February 01, 2014, 02:54:30 PM »
Turns out Ferrets chuckle while mating . I must be part ferret . Made my day .
Dusty

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #607 on: February 01, 2014, 05:38:23 PM »
Just got back from 200mi ride, almost to Muley's. Had to pee on this side road & 3 H-D's rode by, hey, must go somewhere. Through GA Forest then back up home. Was 61* on the way back. I needed it. 41.5mpg.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #608 on: February 01, 2014, 09:52:45 PM »
Good for the first time in months.  Had 11 visits today compared to the usual 30+.  Left work right on time and got home, and nobody home!!!  I am alone for first time since I can't remember.  Lorraine at work, both boys out chasing tail.  Alone alone alone.  Ah sweet solitude. Took a shower, actually had hot water!  Poured  a tulip scotch glass with 3 cubes of ice.  Filled it with Glenmorangie Ealanta reserve Scotch. Now to select the perfect hand rolled cigar. I'm thinking maybe a Fuente Fuente Opus x Churchill for the occasion.  I believe I shall have blessed solitude until 0200 or so when my bride arrives home. Yes, must enjoy these opportunities when they arise, for they are rare indeed.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 09:54:05 PM by Stormtruck2 »
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #609 on: February 01, 2014, 10:35:54 PM »
Cold outside with some freezing fog and it sucks outloud. Watched movies with the little woman. The Sand Pebbles, Who shot Liberty Valance and the worlds fastest Indian. Just added Bonneville speed week to my bucket list.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #610 on: February 01, 2014, 10:54:15 PM »
Well, that fresh bottle of Scotch didn't last long  :BEER:  Its ending as a great day.  Tomorrow probably not so much, but today was excellent.   ;-T. Only thing missing was a bike ride, but since I don't have studded ice tires, I'll have to wait until spring.  :'(
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

LongRanger

« Reply #611 on: February 02, 2014, 11:50:19 PM »
Realizing it is still winter here (despite last weekend's mild and sunny weather), today I drove up to Winter Park for a day on the slopes. It's less than an hour away, door-to-door. They received about 30" of new snow over the past few days, so conditions were sublime. Thanks to the general frenzy surrounding the Super Bowl, the place was empty and there was zero traffic on the roads. Just like the way it used to be...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #612 on: February 03, 2014, 08:04:43 AM »
Rock's 15 minutes of fame thanks to the cold war.

Rock, KS Missile Silo Accident, Aug 1978
Posted July 20th, 2009 by Stu Beitler

GIANT MISSILE LEAKS DEADLY GAS.

FUMES KILL MAN, FORCE EVACUATION OF TOWN.

Rock, Kan. (UPI) -- A fuel line carrying a toxic chemical used as rocket propellant ruptured during fueling of an unarmed Titan II missile Thursday, killing one maintenance worker and injuring six others.
The Air Force said caustic fumes from the leak forced evacuation of about 200 residents of Rock, a rural community located about two miles north of the underground nuclear missile silo, and other persons who lived near the site.
Most residents began returning home during the evening hours, but officials were uncertain those close to the site could return.
The Air Force withheld names of the victims pending notification of relatives, and said the cause of the one death had not been determined.
The chemical oxidizer which was leaking, nitrogen tetroxide, is one of two components of the propellant. Air Force officials said there was no danger of explosion because the fuel, a mixture of 50 percent hydrazine and unsymmetrical dimethyl hydrazine, was not present.
Ignition can occur only when the fuel and the oxidizer make contact, said Capt. Al Defend.
"There was no fuel in there."
The accident occurred about noontime as a crew of eight maintenance workers was transferring the oxidizer to the 103-foot-tall missile, which weighs 150 tons and is the nation's largest ICBM with a range of 8,000 miles. The Titan II, the type of rocket used by NASA to supply lift for its Gemini project space ships, had been placed in its silo last week following maintenance procedures.
Four silo crew members were at the site, but escaped unharmed. They were airlifted to McConnell Air Force Base at Wichita, 35 miles to the northeast, for observation.
Three of the injured maintenance workers were treated for "non-serious" injuries at a hospital emergency room in nearby Winfield. A spokesman said they were suffering from minor respiratory problems. The conditions of the other three injured persons, who were taken to McConnell, were not known.
Defend said the missile had a "several thousand gallon tank" for the oxidizer, "but I don't know how much it had in it." He said officials still had not determined the exact location of the leak.
Jim Hodgson, a farmer who owns the land around the missile complex, said Air Force personnel came to his house at 12:15 p.m. to warn of the leak.
"We didn't smell anything ... didn't see anything ..
until we got out and (went) past some timber and saw the cloud," he said. "It was moving through a
little east of our house. I guess it was blowing just right (to miss us)."
Hodgson was accompanied by his friend Verne Woner and his son, Casey Woner, who said they could see workers at the site frantically trying to escape the fumes.
"We could see them jumping across the fence, tearing off their clothes and washing down with water," he said.
Then about 10 persons drove up the farm house in a pickup, ripped off their shirts and used a garden hose to rinse down before leaving for the hospital in Winfield, he said.
Mrs. Woner said, "They came running to the truck, drove up to us and told us to get out of the way. I thought it (the missile) was going to blow up. But they just didn't want us to get in their way."
Six hours after the accident, the toxic fumes were still spewing into the air and drifting about 75 feet off the ground, but officials said they were dissipating within one-half mile. The cloud of gas, described as pink to orange in color shortly after the leak began, was no longer visible, according to witnesses.
A few area residents close to the site were still unable to return to their homes by evening and Civil Defense officials were assisting in efforts to find places for them to spend the night.
Capt. Ken Schwetje, an assistant staff judge advocate, said any injuries or damages resulting from the accident would be paid for by the Air Force.
"If anybody has damages resulting from this accident, they can file claims at McConnell," he said. "if the damage is a result of this accident, we'll pay."

The Post Standard Syracuse New York 1978-08-25

Listing of some of the victims:
SSGT. ROBERT J. THOMAS, dead at scene.
Airman 1st Class ERBY HEPSTALL, died 9-3-1978 in Wesley Hospital in Winfield, Kansas.
AIrman 1st Class CAL MALINGER, recovered with permanent damage to his vocal cords and lungs and paralysis in his left arm.
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Unkept

• Gaggle Hero
    • Unkept Uncaged- Youtube Channel
« Reply #613 on: February 06, 2014, 04:00:48 PM »
Well things have been rather melancholy around the house lately, but I was cheered up by the arrival of these this morning.

I got a very good deal on these from a fellow in TN. He had them sitting on his shelves for years, never used.

Verlicchi swan neck handlebars for the V11 Sport series forks, bolts under the triple clamp onto the upper 54mm fork tube.

Yay for rare pieces, and the prospect of increased riding comfort.

-Joe

Skin Mechanic

« Reply #614 on: February 07, 2014, 02:01:47 AM »
...and I haven't even made it to the storage closet fulla bike parts ::( I'm gonna need more boxes, a helluva lot more boxes.

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #615 on: February 07, 2014, 02:55:11 AM »
          Those Watchcats look a bit dozey ~;
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #616 on: February 07, 2014, 04:31:04 AM »
  painful day      got some antibiotics from the ER  call the surgeon in the morning
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Crusty

• Gaggle Hero
  • You can't put a price on Worthlessness.
« Reply #617 on: February 07, 2014, 04:39:08 AM »
My bladder surgery went well on Wednesday. I have five photos of my bladder from the inside as a souvenir. The doctor removed the tumor and a number of polyps from the inside wall of my bladder and sent them off to Pathology. I didn't get to talk directly to him right after the surgery, but my daughter and son-in-law did. He gave them the impression that things were looking pretty good for me. The kids were very relieved when I spoke with them after the anesthesia wore off. I'm going on the assumption that it was non malignant, but I'm also staying aware that it might be a lot worse. I won't know for sure until my appointment next week.
I was pretty sore and slow moving after the surgery and yesterday, but this morning, I feel much better. I won't be doing much snow shoveling, but I don't think I'll be confined to bed or the couch all day, either.
I'm not completely out of the woods yet, but I have the firm belief that all the Positive Energy and Prayers will help pull me through. I feel like George Bailey at the end of It's A Wonderful Life
Thank you all.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 04:47:50 AM by Crusty »
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

'07 Norge

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #618 on: February 07, 2014, 08:13:13 AM »
Glad to hear that there is cause for hope and joy Crusty.   ;-T  Take it easy and follow the Docs recovery orders so you heal in the quickest manner possible. BTW, are ya gonna frame them portraits the Doc gave ya?  :D ;D
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

oldbike54

« Reply #619 on: February 12, 2014, 06:51:31 PM »
Good day , tomorrow even better . No wish to rub it in , but we are warming up , 60s this weekend . Should melt off the remaining snow . Ahh Oklahoma 20 degrees one day , 55 the next .
Dusty

lucydad

« Reply #620 on: February 12, 2014, 09:14:50 PM »
Waiting to hear news on my mom's latest spine evaluation.  She is recovering from fracture number two that happened mid-December.  She is giving me blowback on the move from her house to now assisted living.  She seems to be adapting, but she blowtorches me as only a 92 year old can do when she needs to release stress.  We hope to get cleared to take off her back brace.  But I am concerned about another loop into fracture-hospital-rehab and such. My brother in Montana--hard to say, the struggle with depression/anxiety continues and I keep my boundaries.

Work just basically sucks:  very poor management, enough said.  I am pondering restarting a job search, but at age 60 that is a tough road to walk.  I keep thinking two more years and I can bag it.  My girls are doing great, the poodles just got groomed, and the sunny weekend means bike riding. 

We will have my wife's dad here starting Saturday for two weeks.  His Alzheimer's is progressing, so we spend a lot of time caring for him.  He has lost about all sense of time and place, and it is sad to see.  But, we do our best to make his visits a happy time, but it is stressful.

So, yeah there it is.  Spring is coming.  Can't wait to fire up the V7R Friday afternoon.  Oh, and Valentine's day is Friday, wifey and I are going to a swank Sugar Land restaurant...I have to remember the mandatory flowers and card.  She has been great thru all the issues with my mom. 

I have struggled with post-stress issues from the Colorado mom-care trips, plus the crappy winter and all the other junk piling on.

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #621 on: February 12, 2014, 09:18:00 PM »
        I hope you get a real good break from your troubles, lucydad.
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #622 on: February 12, 2014, 09:55:03 PM »
        I hope you get a real good break from your troubles, lucydad.

And best wishes from me. Hope it all starts looking up soon.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #623 on: February 15, 2014, 04:18:04 PM »
Saturday was a good day. Started off with our usual weekend ritual of a large flat white from the wonder machine, then quietly read the newspaper and plan the day. Did a bit of garden weeding, snatch a bit of cricket watching on the TV, and worked a bit on the bike.

After lunch we went in close to Christchurch city and then walked around the CBD area. As I don't need to go in to the city as part of my job ( most fell down in the quake) this was the first time in three years I had actually been in the centre since the quake. Certainly an eye opener. Even on Saturday there was demolition still going on, and rebuild stuff happening. There were also large swathes of bare land. Kept having to think what used to be there.

After I made tea I went out to the garage to confront the Screw of Doom on the Guzzi. This is the set screw nestled at the top of the bell housing which is extremely difficult to get at without removing the injector system. After quite a considerable time I got it out without having to remove all the intake system ;-T so the rest should now be easy peasy. Time is in short supply these days; the princess has scored a casual job for a couple of months but as it is a long way out of town and she finishes later than I do, I am on cooking/shopping duties. By the time everything is cleaned up I am pretty knackered. The pain has gone but the muscle tightness is still full on and I am about ready to crash. Consequently the gearbox removal on the Breva has gone at snail pace. Today however it should be the day for the actual removal. ;-T ;-T. At least the Redline came out of the box clean and not metalflake this time. ::)

It will be interesting to see the condition of the middle selector fork. The first one had distinct rub marks in the throat of the fork where the gear had been rubbing on it. :o I actually replaced it at the time just in case it was incorrectly made.
03 Breva

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #624 on: February 15, 2014, 05:45:09 PM »
Saturday was a good day. Started off with our usual weekend ritual of a large flat white from the wonder machine,

Had to use a translator on that.   I got "espresso with milk .... "
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #625 on: February 15, 2014, 10:20:59 PM »
Had to use a translator on that.   I got "espresso with milk .... "

Correct. Guess it's a Northern Hemisphere/ Southern Hemisphere thing. **C ;-T
03 Breva

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #626 on: February 15, 2014, 10:44:37 PM »
Wifey went to OKC to assist with wedding dress/plans for our daughter. Cat's away, etc.. I got tags and insurance on the sportster yesterday, took it out for a short spin to see how far off the carb is. ( it was a high altitude bike.) Came back and found white cooked plugs.  Pulled the carb and drilled out the plug hiding the mixture screw. Found out what lives behind that oval air cleaner.  ;) I turned down the idle to barely running, and tinkered with the mixture jet til it ran as good as it's gonna. If the plugs are still hot after the test ride next time, I have ordered some bigger jets to try. The bike is a hoot to buzz around town, and has all the power I want (unlike the 883 I had before). Stock mufflers, etc, still has a nice 'croba croba croba' sound.   Handles better than the old Sporty too.  Soon as the jetting is sorted, will take it further afield. Almost spring- Okie Guzzi BBQ days.
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

oldbike54

« Reply #627 on: February 15, 2014, 10:58:57 PM »
See the Cedarvale thread Larry . Nice bike .
Dusty

LongRanger

« Reply #628 on: February 16, 2014, 09:43:50 PM »
That's a great looking bike!

Racked up 200 more break-in miles on the new toy today. Temps were in the mid-60's (perfect weather) and lots of bikes were out and about, for many of them this was probably their first day since last Sept/Oct.  Had to be alert to gravel in the curves but all in all, the roads were quite manageable and it was almost a luxury to be able to ride. More snow is on tap for later this week...

oldbike54

« Reply #629 on: February 17, 2014, 12:56:41 PM »
Much better after discovering Groupon is having a discount on this president's day honoring Alexander
Hamilton ," one of the greatest presidents" ? Maybe a short course in history is needed here . Oh well , gave me a good laugh .
Dusty

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here