Author Topic: How was your day  (Read 505889 times)

Offline tonUPRacer

• Gaggle Mentor
    • My Racer FB page
Re: How was your' day
« Reply #630 on: February 17, 2014, 01:12:41 PM »
I thought it was "potato, potato, potato"
2013 V7 Racer #393
2001 Ducati 900SS (sold)
1999 Ducati 900M (sold)
1979 HD XLS Sportster (sold)

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #631 on: February 17, 2014, 06:44:31 PM »
I thought it was "potato, potato, potato"
You don't rate " potato" til you buy that official H D screwdriver for $300 and knock out the baffles.  ;D
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Penderic

« Reply #632 on: February 17, 2014, 10:56:45 PM »
Waiting waiting waiting for sunny mild weather.

Meanwhile, I started upgrading my desktop computer layout and upgrade some I/O bits I ordered from Ebay and Amazon etc.

I just got a new mechanical keyboard with "clicky" switches and it is a nice improvement in typing. I made a cut out in the desk I use for the computer, so the new keyboard will be in the right ergo spot - but it is still too high on the desk. I have a keyboard drawer on its way that should put it at the right height ...

Anybody use a keyboard adjustable arm and tray? Any good?

I used to do a lot of work on a workstation, and after many long hours, I would have sore hands and fingers.

The new keyboard is very very nice. I hate using those touch smudge pads and flat button keyboards on laptops, having grown up using selectric typewriters and electric mechanical keyboards.... clank clank clank ......shift that carriage!

Waiting for a couple of new computer hi rez mice next - special gaming versions that have changable dpi on the fly - (sniper mode!) that allows much better accuracy at the push of a button - I hope I can use that to make word editing easier on a big screen with lots of tiny letters.

And a new usb joystick for the hello of it ... I used to play the flight sims way back when my I/O used the old serial and SCSI connectors!

Online normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #633 on: February 17, 2014, 11:30:31 PM »
I went into the local mountains to work on rebuilding my bike skills - it's been a while and I wanted to push it some and get to know the bike.

Had a valuable and expensive lesson though - always check the jacket pocket zippers before launching. Got distracted talking to another rider (this is not a bike to ride around if you don't want to be noticed) and neglected to zip up. Prescription eyewear in a hard case is now just so much scrap after a ten mile backtrack to find the case on the road and the ear pieces on the shoulder...couldn't find the front piece and lenses.

Did have a woman walk up to me as soon as I shut the bike off at a fuel stop and say " I always did love the sound of a Moto Guzzi"...Like I said, no sneaking around on THIS bike.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #633 on: February 17, 2014, 11:30:31 PM »

Offline Jukebox

• Hatchling
« Reply #634 on: February 18, 2014, 04:25:28 AM »
Today was good.
Took out the rear shock on my Griso to send off to have new spring and revalve.

Should make the wife happy, no more bump stop shuffle when we go riding.

Harry

Skin Mechanic

« Reply #635 on: February 18, 2014, 02:33:04 PM »
I was outside tinkering on the old bike and dropped the keys on the pavement, which I've done a few time before, except this time the tip of the Breva key broke off rendering it useless ::(

Offline JoeW

• Gaggle Hero
    • The Guzzi Doctor
« Reply #636 on: February 20, 2014, 08:40:29 PM »
My day started out great, good night's sleep, truck loaded and gassed up ready for a day of errands. My plan was to head to the machine shop that does my balancing, stop at the old shop to pick up mail, pick up the freshly powder coated LAPD frame and parts and visit my favorite blond hair stylist for a hair cut. About 120 miles round trip. The Ranger has been leaking a little coolant from the intake gasket for a couple of weeks. I ordered the gasket set yesterday and was planning on tearing it down tomorrow, after I get some work done at on of my collector client's garage. I was about 30 miles from home and punched it to make a lane change. When I looked in the rear view mirror I could see the steam flowing out the back, DAMN! I stopped to add coolant and turn around for home but, it was running out as fast as I poured it in. The tow bill was $165.00!!! But I spent the afternoon in the garage and got it done. Maybe I'll get to the machine shop tomorrow?
Joe Walano

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #637 on: February 20, 2014, 08:48:35 PM »
            Life does have its hitches, Joe :)
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

Online nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #638 on: February 22, 2014, 02:52:24 PM »
My driveway is a sheet of slushy ice.  The road beyond is centre bare with sandy and slushy patches - but its a couple of degree above freezing, sunny and windy and THE HIGHWAYS ARE BARE AND DRY!

I carefully walked the Eldo out to road in first on idle, slowly navigated the postholed mess of the road, then hit the highway.

:bike  Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh, Pure relief.  I only rode 30 miles, but it was far, far better than nothing.  Now for this  :BEER: and a quiet evening with the missus.  Yes Dusty - a good day.

Nick

PS in my excitement, I forgot my camera, so this is the 'after' pic.

oldbike54

« Reply #639 on: February 22, 2014, 04:13:04 PM »
Cool Nick .
 My day has not been wonderful , vehicle issues . Oh well .
 Did get a laugh upon learning of the 3 geniuses who stole a school bus here in Muskogee . They were attempting a getaway of several miles . Seems like a poor choice of vehicle to use for that purpose , big , yellow , and slow .
Dusty

Sent from a submarine in Oklahoma .

Online normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #640 on: February 22, 2014, 11:55:46 PM »
[nick949], you earn all the points I can give - if you make it here I'll cook, polish, and buy your beers...
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline Unkept

• Gaggle Hero
    • Unkept Uncaged- Youtube Channel
« Reply #641 on: February 23, 2014, 08:26:51 PM »
Bike further disassembled, a few rounded bolts... but I'm mostly there.
More to take apart, try to organize the bolts and pieces... and then it's inventory for parts I need to order.
The plan is to get the bike up to snuff before the end of March, so I can commute by motorcycle for the rest of the warmer seasons. Fingers crossed!

Skin Mechanic

« Reply #642 on: March 04, 2014, 05:18:29 PM »
Getting there is half the fun ::)

lucydad

« Reply #643 on: March 06, 2014, 08:25:19 PM »
Dusty,

Thanks for asking...can't find the thread.  Well, I had some potentially fabulous career news today.  A manager that is recruiting me got a thumbs up from the VP and CEO for an interview.  I worked for this manager and company 3 years and left due to a horrid long Houston commute. They also took my working partner geologist away and inserted a functional alcoholic.

The company was very upset when I quit, and we left on great terms: I know them, they know me.  Anyway, if the team meet and greet goes ok what may happen in June is a cross Houston move.  The company pays moving expenses.  I think the offer is already cleared, it is a matter of socialization before final negotiations.

So, this could be a huge win.  My current company and boss just are terrible.  I did not sign up for this job, we were sold and bought like cattle, and treated similarly.  Anyway a new house would require, for me, a 3 car garage.  That third garage:  for motorcycle parking, more than one.

Wish me luck!  Even an almost 60 year old with great skills is marketable?  Sometimes hard work does pay off.

I won't talk about my brother with anxiety/depression:  no progress.

The Aerostich jacket/pants arrived today.  The pants are a perfect fit, I need a 44-S exchange for the jacket.  So, no review until next week.

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #644 on: March 06, 2014, 08:40:05 PM »
coolnews, did they loose the functional alcoholic or do you get to supervise him/her too?
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #645 on: March 06, 2014, 08:48:07 PM »
coolnews, did they loose the functional alcoholic or do you get to supervise him/her too?

All of us current or potential 60-year-olds are interested!   ;-T

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

oldbike54

« Reply #646 on: March 06, 2014, 09:11:55 PM »
60 is the new 40 , 60 is the new 40 , 60 is the new 40 .
Dusty

Sent from a submarine in Oklahoma .

lucydad

« Reply #647 on: March 07, 2014, 08:07:23 AM »
60 is the new 40?  Dunno.

The functional alcoholic is still there.  But I would be in a completely different team and never have to work with him.  Why they have not terminated him baffles me.

Anyway it feels good to have one more chance at a satisfying job, and get out of a dead end. 

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #648 on: March 07, 2014, 12:05:30 PM »
All the best Lucydad, sounds as though work is looking up. ;-T
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Penderic

« Reply #649 on: March 11, 2014, 07:03:28 PM »
Happy Dance! I successfully got my 2003 Cummins diesel truck to start cold, without having to replace anything expensive! I did waste a hundred on a heater and thirty on the heater relays but avoided the $350 + each x 6 injectors that might have been worn out and leaky.

As it was, it was just the fuel line feeds to the injectors that needed re-torquing... whew! Not a hard job to do, but I prefer working on small engines! Had to take off a bunch of stuff but it takes more time the first time. Have to be gentle with expensive parts!

Thank goodness for the internet as a repair resource - just have to ask the mighty know all web search brain and right away I found several truck owners posting very good advice that they learned through personal experience. Bonus links to Utube vids on the repair - some good some bad - but enough to get an idea of what to try next ... 

Truck fixed, I can sleep well tonight!

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #650 on: March 11, 2014, 07:29:38 PM »
Now there is a serious gearhead's bedroom..  ;D ;-T
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #651 on: March 29, 2014, 06:13:17 PM »
Fine thanks Dusty,

For the first time in ages, the temperature was above freezing and the roads weren't too bad.  I rode about 60 miles in the morning with Norm on his KLR,

then in the afternoon, rode about the same distance again on the Eldorado - to look at the ice on the St. Lawrence River (of which there is plenty!).

It was interesting to compare the two.  Those who have likened riding the Nuovo Falcone to riding a Loop on one cylinder aren't far off the mark - it is sluggish, but in the most wonderfully engaging and entertaining way.  In comparison the Eldorado is a huge, comfy rocket!

A good day!  ;-T

Nick
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 06:18:52 PM by nick949 »

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #652 on: March 30, 2014, 01:50:51 AM »
Pretty good actually.

After church in the morning the Princess wanted to inspect and possibly buy a new dining room table. We had got new swivel chairs when the body was in a real mess and they just did not go with the table we had. Went out to inspect, table was almost ideal, price was excellent so we got the flat pack and I assembled it when we got home. Princess is rapt. ;-T

I then went out to the man cave and finished off the final touches on the gearbox repair and install. Things have gone reasonably well seeing most of it has been done in the evenings after work, and by then the body is basically custard. Bike fired up easy, the gearbox performed faultlessly, so now I am back on the road again. A short run close by home to sort out a few minor adjustments, then a longer run where I could art least get up to 80 kms. Bike and box going great, so had a wine to celebrate. After tea it is now back out to the cave and put away all the stuff and generally tidy up.

A good day. ;-T
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #653 on: March 30, 2014, 03:58:39 AM »
         Onya Muzz ;-T
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #654 on: March 30, 2014, 07:47:07 AM »
Dorcia has wanted a gas pump for the hanger porch for a long time, so I picked up this POS. Officially started.. some disassembly/assembly required. Naturally, it'll have to be aviation related.. ;D

« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 07:58:00 AM by Chuck in Indiana »

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #655 on: March 30, 2014, 12:44:51 PM »
Dorcia has wanted a gas pump for the hanger porch for a long time, so I picked up this POS. Officially started.. some disassembly/assembly required. Naturally, it'll have to be aviation related.. ;D

DORCIA has wanted a gas pump as a decoration???   your WOMAN?   

This is unheard of in the annals of Western Civilization.    Gas Pumps, Wooden Indians, and carved wooden Grizzly Bears as decorations are the ultimate in Man Cave Decor, and universally despised and laughed at by women everywhere.

She must really love you to be suggesting something like that .... !

Lannis

Penderic

« Reply #656 on: March 30, 2014, 03:25:48 PM »
Your are gonna have update your avatar, Lannis!  :D

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #657 on: March 30, 2014, 05:26:49 PM »
DORCIA has wanted a gas pump as a decoration???   your WOMAN?   

This is unheard of in the annals of Western Civilization.    Gas Pumps, Wooden Indians, and carved wooden Grizzly Bears as decorations are the ultimate in Man Cave Decor, and universally despised and laughed at by women everywhere.

She must really love you to be suggesting something like that .... !

Lannis

Actually, she's the car guy in the family, but she's decorated the house with airplane stuff for me because she likes that stuff, too. I've put off doing this gas pump because it's going to be a PITA.. I hate cave man work like this.. but I'll get it done. She's a good girl...  ;D

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #658 on: March 30, 2014, 09:34:26 PM »
Your are gonna have update your avatar, Lannis!  :D

I can't believe that Master Cylinder made it onto a hot rod or race car ... he's SO 1960's .... !    :D

Lannis

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #659 on: March 30, 2014, 11:28:24 PM »
Took the wife to see the movie Noah this afternoon.  They sure filled in alot to make the movie.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here