Author Topic: Anyone want to try our 8V Norge map?  (Read 74763 times)

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Geese Fly in a Proper V
Re: Anyone want to try our 8V Norge map?
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2014, 09:33:54 PM »

Yes. PM me or Pete your email address. Does it have ABS?

Yes it does.   
If you wish to know what a man is, place in him authority.
False accusations reflect more on the accuser than the accused.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
Do or don't do. There is no try.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Offline frans belgium

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2014, 11:37:46 AM »
Had the bodies rebalanced and the 8VNorge map installed on my Norge GT8V today.
As Pete says: a bee in the arse - from low (2000) to high rpm.  No more dips, no more jerks or on-off. Especially around 3-4000 rpm on partial load, the bike used to jerk a lot.  That's gone now.
Remember carb riding?  Well, almost alike but with extra pepper.  
Very happy with the outcome.

Two minor things:
Coldstart is a bit tricky with rather low and unstable idle.  Had to set CO to +10 instead of indicated -10.  (So perhaps mileage could become an issue, will keep a close eye on that). Is there another way of keeping the idle more stable and up to 1200 rpm?  Has something to do with the stepper motor I guess?
Rpm drop much slower, engine brake a bit less. I can live with that.

Question: now that the lambda's are disabled, is there no chance of 'sooting' them?  Should they be removed and the holes plugged?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 11:44:20 AM by frans belgium »
Owned and sold: V65, Nevada, 2xCali, Breva 1100, Norge 8V, Breva 1100 with Squire sidecar
Currently own: V85 TT

Vasco DG

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2014, 05:27:54 PM »
As mentioned elsewhere we believe the lambda heaters remain operative even if the trim function is off. No sign of shooting on our bikes.

With the erratic idle? Did you re-set the adjustable parameters after the upload along with the TPS?

Pete

Offline nikwax

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2014, 11:02:07 AM »
I'm about to install the new map. Cold start and idle are an issue now (pre installation), I'm curious what causes it?
2014 Ducati Multistrada GT
2011 Norge GT 8V "Otto Valvole" (gone after 32k miles)
2001 BMW R1150 GS (gone after 100,000 miles)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2014, 11:02:07 AM »

Offline frans belgium

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2014, 01:18:26 PM »
As mentioned elsewhere we believe the lambda heaters remain operative even if the trim function is off. No sign of shooting on our bikes.

With the erratic idle? Did you re-set the adjustable parameters after the upload along with the TPS?

Pete

Yes we did. Otoh I did a longer trip today and mileage was excellent, at least 1l/100 km less than before.  Main reason (imo): bike pulls like a freight train between 3 and 4 thousand rpm, so the need to constantly high rev it to avoid jerking is gone.

Remains the fact that rpm stay up in the 2000 longer before dropping to 1200 idle.  Did you have the same experience?

@nikwax: I can assure you that install is more than worthwile.  Yes, idle is a bit of an issue, but perhaps I did someting wrong. All the rest is a MAJOR improvement!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 01:21:39 PM by frans belgium »
Owned and sold: V65, Nevada, 2xCali, Breva 1100, Norge 8V, Breva 1100 with Squire sidecar

Offline FGO

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2014, 01:26:56 PM »
Pete,
How does the gasoline difference matter with US bikes? or does it.
 cheers dude,
Jon

Vasco DG

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2014, 04:23:46 PM »
Jon there are a heap of folks testing for Mark now including several all over the US. So far AFAIK there have been no fuel related issues although it is recommended to run the highest octane and lowest ethanol available.

Pete

canuguzzi

« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2014, 05:45:18 PM »
Plans are to have a new Norge this week, next week at the latest if all goes well. Is this something that would be worthwhile to do with a new from showroom Norge? I had a 1000 V-Strom that from the crate had this horrible stumble in the 3-4k range and it took me nearly 3 years to get a new ECM from Suki which cured it. By then I was done and sold it but it sure did make the bike a completely different animal.

Most of my riding is coastline riding with a few into cities trips and 3 or 4 longer distance rides during the summer. Never having had a Guzzi, would this mod make that much difference to someone upgrading so to speak to a Norge or leave it alone for now?

beetle

« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2014, 06:11:15 PM »
Remains the fact that rpm stay up in the 2000 longer before dropping to 1200 idle.  Did you have the same experience?

It's the different warm-up table. I wouldn't be concerned unless it does it for more than 15 seconds.

You have a CO of +10 correct? Have you tried it at zero?

beetle

« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2014, 06:13:58 PM »
Never having had a Guzzi, would this mod make that much difference to someone upgrading so to speak to a Norge or leave it alone for now?

Only if you have any issues. Make sure they do a proper pre-delivery and that they balance the  throttle bodies.

Offline frans belgium

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2014, 02:19:27 AM »

It's the different warm-up table. I wouldn't be concerned unless it does it for more than 15 seconds.

You have a CO of +10 correct? Have you tried it at zero?

Yes, we gradually went from -10 to +10.
At less than +10, idle was too erratic.
I'm communicating with the bloke that did the tweaking for me, and he suggested to bring it back in for another try.
Btw, idle 'hangs' a few seconds when the engine is hot and during riding (not when it's cold) and then slowly returns to 1200 rpm.  My friend asked to check if it does so with the clutch out and/or in. I didn't pay attention, will do so next time.  Don't ask me why, he's the genius, I just ride the bl....thing  ;D
For the rest: I have a different bike.  The first trip in a long time I really felt happy with the bike and remembered why I bought it.  

« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 02:32:39 AM by frans belgium »

beetle

« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2014, 02:40:15 AM »
Yes, we gradually went from -10 to +10.
At less than +10, idle was too erratic.
I'm communicating with the bloke that did the tweaking for me, and he suggested to bring it back in for another try.
Btw, idle 'hangs' a few seconds when the engine is hot and during riding (not when it's cold) and then slowly returns to 1200 rpm.  My friend asked to check if it does so with the clutch out and/or in. I didn't pay attention, will do so next time.  Don't ask me why, he's the genius, I just ride the bl....thing  ;D
For the rest: I have a different bike.  The first trip in a long time I really felt happy with the bike and remembered why I bought it.  

He balanced it by adjusting the rod linkage?  No No no! it must be done with the bell crank at around 4000 rpm then with the air bleeds at idle.

If he did it that way then you have a problem.

Vasco DG

« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2014, 02:57:39 AM »
Oh gawd! Did he play with the linkage rod?

Look, instructions for set-up are everywhere on the net and certainly mine and others go at great lengths to explain that the linkage rod should be LEFT A BLOODY LONE!

Please, if people don't know what they are doing. Just don't touch anything and take it to somebody who DOE'S know what they are doing!

Pete

Offline frans belgium

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2014, 03:07:56 AM »
He balanced it by adjusting the rod linkage?  No No no! it must be done with the bell crank at around 4000 rpm then with the air bleeds at idle.
If he did it that way then you have a problem.
No, he did it with the screw at the bell crank (left throttle body) and left the the air bleeds closed, as at around 3-4000 rpm, balance was smack in the middle and as good as on idle.
Afterwards, tps and other parameters were reset.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 03:34:33 AM by frans belgium »

beetle

« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2014, 03:54:04 AM »
No, he did it with the screw at the bell crank (left throttle body) and left the the air bleeds closed, as at around 3-4000 rpm, balance was smack in the middle and as good as on idle.
Afterwards, tps and other parameters were reset.

Phew. Ok,  we need to figure out what's going on. As I recall, we didn't have this erratic idle issue with the test bike.

I'd like some other Norge owners with this map to provide feedback.

dddd

« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2014, 05:02:43 PM »

idle 'hangs' a few seconds when the engine is hot and during riding (not when it's cold) and then slowly returns to 1200 rpm.  My friend asked to check if it does so with the clutch out and/or in.

[/quote]

Are dear, I believe my 12 Norge was the first to start doing that and despite everyone's best efforts (and believe me they tried)  it still continued to do it. The only way I got around it was to extend the air line that runs from the stepper motor to the air box put a small shut off valve (under the seat) in the line, and shut it off once warmed up . This 100% fixes the problem.

I mention this because my bike has the standard tune, as such your problem may not be necessarily related to the new tune, but I am far from any expert

« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 05:16:48 PM by dddd »

Offline nikwax

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2014, 06:03:02 PM »
I'm having a very significant issue with the IAW5xWriter (linux version):

I connected up and made a copy of my factory map with the IAW5xReader. No problem.

Attempt to load the new 8V map. IAW5xWriter erases the ECU, starts to load the new map, and crashes. Repeated that exercise several times, then attempted to reload the factory map, same problem. I've confirmed that the erase worked, as my bike is now dead/unable to start.

Log from Writer:

# tail -f IAW5xWriter_V0.20_x 64_20140621_155509. log

3740ms File: /home/mark/GuzziDiag/Factorymap.bin
    4234ms Init Ok
    4436ms Diagnostic started
    4541ms Baudrate switched
    6271ms ED 3B ED 3C
    6271ms 60 83 69 27
    6495ms Login Ok
    6975ms TesterCode written
    7196ms ProgDate written
   26418ms erased!

Any suggestions as to how to recover from this?

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2014, 06:26:48 PM »
Hi Nikwax,

Quick way is using a windows computer. If you want to solved it for running on Linux, best send your log and other info to: guzzidiag at gmail.com

Erasing erases the map, but not all in the ecu, so it will still communicate. And is still able to get a new map. So bike won't start, but ecu is not dead.
Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

AHAMAYfrank

« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2014, 08:22:56 PM »
 idle 'hangs' a few seconds when the engine is hot and during riding (not when it's cold) and then slowly returns to 1200 rpm. 

I believe my 12 Norge was the first to start doing that and despite everyone's best efforts (and believe me they tried)  it still continued to do it. The only way I got around it was to extend the air line that runs from the stepper motor to the air box put a small shut off valve (under the seat) in the line, and shut it off once warmed up . This 100% fixes the problem.

I mention this because my bike has the standard tune, as such your problem may not be necessarily related to the new tune, but I am far from any expert

Disconnecting the stepper circuit after warm up has been discussed here for quite some time.  Many of those "in the know" claim that this is a tuning issue that can be resolved without some kind of stepper circuit bypass.  I had a 1200 Sport that was much more refined feeling  "switching off" the stepper after warm up.  Maybe new information here helps with this situation, but it seems to me from what I have experienced, and from what I have read here, some folks do have a similar issue, and solution, to your's.

Frank

Offline nikwax

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2014, 06:49:05 PM »
Map installed, I went for a longish test ride with the Mrs. on board.

Summary: wow!

Really smooths things out. It's like the tune up from heaven. Smooth all across the range, no need to always get to 4k-5k for goodness.

I do notice, when transitioning to engine braking/closed throttle, a slight hesitation at 1500 RPM before dropping down, but it is only for a second or so.

Thanks very much for producing this!!!

Vasco DG

« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2014, 07:26:39 PM »
Don't thank me, thank Beetle. All his work. I'm just the messenger.

Pete

PS. If you like it I suggest you bung him some dosh as a donation to development. Somewhere between a pineapple and a grey nurse is generally seen by others as reasonable.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 08:48:03 PM by Vasco DG »

Offline Waltr

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Europa Macchina
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2014, 09:43:28 PM »
I would like to try the map for my 2012 Norge.  It has roller tappets if that makes any difference.   Pete I will PM you I assume that once the bike is connected up to the reader all the blank boxes will populate.

After the canistorectomy and reset valves and do a throttle body balance my bike feels a little cold blooded and needs started a few times and idles low for the first few minutes..
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
www.motoguzzipa.com

2012 Norge

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2014, 02:08:37 AM »
After the canistorectomy and reset valves and do a throttle body balance my bike feels a little cold blooded and needs started a few times and idles low for the first few minutes..

Well you didn't look at tps value after that work, you should, and if not 4.6-4.8> tps reset with Guzzidiag
Paul

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2014, 08:43:06 AM »

Besides the TPS reset, I've notice a bit of difference on my Stelvio if I disconnect the battery for a minute so that the ECU resets. I suspect it causes the ECU to 'forget' any learned O2 sensor trim values which are messing with the initial idle mixture.
I was getting ready to burn a map with some warm up tweaks, but the power cycle fixed it for me.

Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline nikwax

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2014, 10:57:33 AM »
Isn't there an "unlearn" button in Guzzidiag?

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2014, 03:22:26 PM »

why, what did you do?
Paul

beetle

« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2014, 04:22:11 PM »

Do you mean the 'Reset learning parameters'?? Under the TPS reset button.

Offline motoverda

• New Egg
« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2014, 06:31:30 PM »
What map is this and how do I get it. I am installing a Guzzi Tech muffler and Y-pipe

beetle

« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2014, 06:58:33 PM »
What map is this and how do I get it. I am installing a Guzzi Tech muffler and Y-pipe

The map won't work well with this exhaust. Only for stock exhaust or aftermarket pipe with catcon & dB killer.

Vasco DG

« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2014, 08:13:00 PM »
I don't know what pipes Todd is selling nowadays but of it is  a stainless open mega it will be terribly loud and will badly screw up the fueling.

Pete

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here