Author Topic: Progress Report On My Journey Into Homelessness  (Read 19810 times)

Offline Crusty

• Gaggle Hero
  • You can't put a price on Worthlessness.
Progress Report On My Journey Into Homelessness
« on: January 22, 2015, 09:06:07 AM »
I went over to REI this past weekend to look at an Exped Synmat 9 sleeping pad, and they didn't have one. They had a bigger and thicker Synmat 10, but the freakin' thing was way too big when it was rolled up. However, there was an REI branded Thermarest pad that was 3 1/2 inches thick. I put it on the floor and laid on it; even though it was underinflated, my hips and shoulder weren't touching the floor, so I figured, "What the devil; it's fifty bucks less" and I bought it.
I looked at the stoves, but the stove area was pretty disarrayed, and I couldn't make heads or tails of it; so I put off stove purchases for now. They also didn't have the sleeping bag I'm interested in (a Marmot Rockaway 35 degree bag). With sleeping bags, I don't want to get one that's too warm, but I also don't like shivering through the night, so I think a 35 degree bag is a reasonable compromise. It's funny; I went to REI with the purpose of buying a fast drying towel and just looking at the other stuff; but instead, I didn't even look for a towel and bought a pad. Oh, well. I think I'm going to buy a Space Blanket or two, as well; they pack small and can be used for a number of things.
I've had my eye on an '06 Sportster that my friend Guido has in his shop, and yesterday, I went over to start the haggling process. It's only beginning, so we'll see how it goes, but I think I'll be looking at other Sportsters as well and that Buell S3-T is still calling me even though I decided to go with a Sportster. A Buell is a just a Sportster that doesn't vibrate, makes twice the power, corners like it's on rails and has really good brakes. It just looks different.
I've fired the first shot in selling my Norge by putting it in the Classifieds here; hopefully, it'll sell fairly quickly. It should, I'm asking 3 grand less than book value. Then I'll take the money and buy whichever bike I decide on. We'll see how it goes.
One of the things I really would like to do this summer is see a few Flat Track races. I called the IMDA (Promoters of the Springfield Mile) and requested the seat I prefer (front row on the Finish Line) for both the Memorial Day and Labor Day weekend races. I also called the promoter of the Indy Mile and DuQuoin Mile races, but they don't have tickets available yet.
So, things are moving along. Not as quickly or smoothly as I would like, but it's progress. All I have to do is just keep doing the next right thing, and eventually, it will all come together.
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

'07 Norge

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Progress Report On My Journey Into Homelessness
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 10:11:05 AM »
Look through the camping gear threads.  Your sleeping bag is you most important purchase for comfort.  Air mattress next.  Then tent.

One thing I learned the hard way...sleeping bag ratings are not what they seem.  That 35 bag will keep you comfortable down to around 45 or 50 deg.  I bought a 40 deg bag thinking I'd never sleep in colder.  When it got below 50 I was freezing, even with a full base layer, two layers of socks, hat and gloves.  I now have a 20deg bag.  When it got down below 30 I had to wear the base layer and hat (hats are REALLY good for sleeping in the cold), but, I was comfortable, down right cozy.

And when you say, 'I won't be camping when it is below freezing', that's when you find youself camping with a unexpected cold front going through.  :)

This is also when it is nice to buy from REI.  You can try out their stuff and if it isn't right then take it back and get what you need.  My bag is a Northern Face, but, I got it at REI because of their return policy.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 10:34:47 AM »
REI also sells sleeping bag liners, basically a really light weight zippered bag to go inside your sleeping bag.  This gives you several options.  On a warm night you just use the liner, when it gets cold the liner becomes another layer of insulation.  Best of all, the liner is really small.  Waking up at 0200, shivering, is no fun.  That extra bit of warmth has saved the day for me a couple times.  Oh, and +1 on the hat idea.  I carry a fleece cap for sleeping.

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 10:44:12 AM »
HAVE FUN!

There is a LOT to like about an 06 Sportster. It's actually going to be pretty darn smooth... maybe smoother than a Buell. It's carbureted and easy to repair. Dealers and parts are ubiquitous. Hard to argue with that choice if you go that way!

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 10:44:12 AM »

Bill Havins

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 11:11:54 AM »
REI also sells sleeping bag liners, basically a really light weight zippered bag to go inside your sleeping bag.  This gives you several options.  On a warm night you just use the liner, when it gets cold the liner becomes another layer of insulation.  Best of all, the liner is really small.  Waking up at 0200, shivering, is no fun.  That extra bit of warmth has saved the day for me a couple times.  Oh, and +1 on the hat idea.  I carry a fleece cap for sleeping.

Peter Y.

Absolutely!  There is no such thing as a bag that is "too warm" if you have a liner with you.  If you get too warm at night unzip, throw back the top layer and, presto!

If you get too cold because your bag is only rated to 30°...  I remember snowshoeing in May in the Pecos Wilderness up near Truchas Peak...  All of my water froze solid and I had it inside my tent.  What a miserable experience that was!

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 11:59:09 AM »

Peter Y.

I made a bedroll.   Outer layer is light, waterproofed canvas that can go on damp ground if need be.   Sewn to that (to form a pocket for the Exped air mattress) is a piece of heavy flannel, which is the surface I sleep on.   And when I roll it up, I roll up a heavy wool blanket and a USMC poncho liner inside it.

So the canvas is on the outside, the flannel is sewn to it, open at one end to form a pocket, the air mattress slides in there (and stays there when I roll it up).    The blanket and poncho liner go over top of me (I hate having my feet and legs bound up in a sleeping bag).   Packs easy across the bike when rolled and strapped up.

For me, perfect.   I don't camp in the winter anyhow, so it's a 2-1/2 season outfit for me ...

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 12:31:18 PM »
Based on many decades of mountain travel, including a lot of snow-cave camping, I advise buying the best sleeping bag you can afford. On a warm night you can unzip completely and it becomes a blanket, and when it's cold -- well, no worries. For many years I used a North Face Ibex (purchased in 1971!) and now use a Montbell Spiral Hugger 0-degree bag. It stuffs down into a ridiculously small sack, about 8x14 inches. Kind of pricey but worth it.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline dlapierre

• Gosling
    • Habitat Farm
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 01:39:42 PM »
'nuther little tip from someone who used to hunt bighorn sheep in November in the Rockies. Make a bag liner out of a flannel cotton sheet...put a zipper on it. I does a great job of keeping you warm and you don't feel the cold of the nylon bag. It also does a better job of wicking your body moisture.

omaho5

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 02:30:32 PM »
I had a Buell Cyclone in 2001 or so. Very nice bike but a little crude. I put a Vance and Hines exhaust on it to waken it up.
The ST 3 could be one hell of a sport tour bike.
I would choose the ST3 over the Sporty.

Offline Ronkom

• Gaggle Hero
    • Virginia Moto Guzzi Owners Club
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 03:06:35 PM »
Found out the hard way.....space blankets do NOT breath. If you sweat like I do at night & you put a space blanket on top of your sleeping bag, it will hold in the moisture & you'll wake up damp & freezing.
ronkom
THE MOTRESYKLMAN
 Restore, Repair, Accessorize, Buy, Sell & Trade Exotic, Unusual, or Interesting Motorcycles. Guzzi Wrench 35+ years

Offline mjptexas

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 03:36:29 PM »
HAVE FUN!

There is a LOT to like about an 06 Sportster. It's actually going to be pretty darn smooth... maybe smoother than a Buell. It's carbureted and easy to repair. Dealers and parts are ubiquitous. Hard to argue with that choice if you go that way!

:+1
I believe this was the last year for carbs on the Sportster.  Rubber mounted engine really tames the vibration.
Mike

'18 R Nine T Urban GS
'17 Griso
'16 XL1200 Roadster
'15 Monster 821
'14 Cali Custom
'14 Vespa GTS300 Super
'15 Vespa Primavera
'75 CB400F
'76 CB550F

Online greer

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 05:29:55 PM »
Yes, '06 is the last year for carbs, and like Kevin said that's a nice smooth bike once off idle.  I rode my '06 out to Colorado this past summer and had nary a hiccup.  There's a world of info and nice, helpful folks over on xlforum.net, too.  On the subject of camping gear, I agree with the everybody else, you'll want a sleeping bag liner.  Makes the bag much more versatile and lets you wash the liner rather than the bag.

Sarah
Sarah '21 V7 Special, '17 XT250, '17 V9 Roamer sold August 2021, '16 V7 II Stone sold September 2021, '08 Nevada Classic sold August 2020 
Doug '21 V85TT, '05 Sportster Roadster, '13 XT250

Offline Demar

• Hooper drives the boat Chief.
  • Gaggle Hero
  • There's someone in my head but it's not me.
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 05:55:46 PM »
Crusty, I wish you well on your travels. I have this bag.... http://www.cabelas.com/product/Camping/Sleeping-Bags%7C/pc/104795280/c/104770080/Cabelas-XPG-Escapist-20F-Sleeping-Bags/1577457.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fsleeping-bags%2F_%2FN-1100675%2B4294388682%2B4294733647%2FNe-4294388682%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104795280%26WTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNU&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104795280%3Bcat104770080#BVRRWidgetID

It's very good and packs down pretty small. It's pricey but I want to keep things as small as possible when packing so for me that means a down sleeping bag. The above advice to get a 20-degree bag is sage advice. I also don't like mummy bags as I turn a lot when sleeping and I feel trapped in a mummy bag.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 05:57:51 PM by Demar »
I'd much rather ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.

2012 MG Stelvio NTX
2010 Bonneville T100
1953 Galletto 175

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2015, 05:55:52 PM »
Ditto on the space blanket.  Someone told me one time that you can put the bottom of a sleeping bag inside a plastic garbage bag for some extra warmth.  Wrong.  Instead of cold and dry I was cold and clammy from all the moisture.

I also carry a sleeping bag liner.  They help....a little...when it is cold.  Maybe gives you an extra 5 deg.  A layer of fleece over your base layer is much better.  But, I like it for warmer conditions.  Like when the sleeping bag zipped up is too warm, but, unzipped causes a draft.  Throw the liner over.

I used to use a sewn up bed sheet as a liner.  Works well.  Later I got a commercial one (on sale for $15) cause it packs in about 1/4 the space of the sheet.

And when it comes time to consider a stove, think about whether you really want one or not.  I find that packing up and getting breakfast down the road or eating before setting up camp is better than cooking all the time.  Also don't have to worry about carrying all kinds of food and stuff with you.  
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Demar

• Hooper drives the boat Chief.
  • Gaggle Hero
  • There's someone in my head but it's not me.
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2015, 06:00:35 PM »

And when it comes time to consider a stove, think about whether you really want one or not.  I find that packing up and getting breakfast down the road or eating before setting up camp is better than cooking all the time.  Also don't have to worry about carrying all kinds of food and stuff with you.  

This is true, however, I like having the ability to have hot coffee or hot chocolate in the morning. That for me is worth carrying a stove. You can also heat water for tea or for oatmeal in the morning and that's very easy to make and clean up. Also, hot water for a package of soup at night is quick and easy.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 06:01:45 PM by Demar »
I'd much rather ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.

2012 MG Stelvio NTX
2010 Bonneville T100
1953 Galletto 175

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2015, 06:36:44 PM »
Regarding the stove:  I have a Coleman backpacking stove (single burner) that will burn almost any liquid -- gasoline, kerosene, diesel. Has worked well for many years.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2015, 06:47:16 PM »
This is true, however, I like having the ability to have hot coffee or hot chocolate in the morning. That for me is worth carrying a stove. You can also heat water for tea or for oatmeal in the morning and that's very easy to make and clean up. Also, hot water for a package of soup at night is quick and easy.

Me too.  And I fought with having to pre-heat Primus and similar stoves for YEARS and having to pack the sooty thing up .... Now I just use a simple folding "stove" that holds a trioxane tablet and will make coffee or tea and oatmeal in no time with very little trouble .....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2015, 06:52:50 PM »
I have a coleman 'flower petal' burner that screws directly to a 1# fuel bottle.  It works and takes about the space of a quart of oil.

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2015, 06:55:47 PM »
I've used the Coleman stove (we used to call them 'tanker' stoves), the ones that use std propane bottles, the smaller propane stoves (current one is an MSR Pocket Rocket), sterno, and the tabs.  If you only want to use it for water every now and then the tablets make the most sense.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

expat42451

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2015, 07:47:54 PM »
Crusty

The Marmot bags are good. I have one of the 45 F bags I have been using for the last 2 1/2 years in South America and it has been excellent. Had I to buy again I probably would buy the 35 F bag but the brand for me has been great-

Good luck with the buying.

expat
Huanchaco Peru

Offline davedel44

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2015, 08:14:40 PM »
Double  :+1 on the hat.  I use turtle fur fleece hat.  Keeps my head and ears toasty.

I use Murcurial bag liner three ways to arrange it do search too hard to illustrate.  Will add at least 10 degrees to any bag and works well by itself on mild nights.  Also check out jet boil stoves great for guick coffee and oatmeal in AM.  Quickly heats soup or tea for a lunch break.  Nothing like hot soup when you've been riding in cold or rain.  Bigger meals with addition of a pot and frypan.  Good base layers are great especially a top with a hood.  Hood up hat on sleeping bag draped over your head and your good for the night.  Space blanket will reflect body heat if between you and your pad. 

Good luck.
Dave
Galveston

Dave
Galveston
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 08:32:22 PM by davedel44 »
Bambino- 2013 V7 Stone

Orange Guzzi

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2015, 08:42:41 PM »
Not much of a camper, but the infield at the Indy Miles is as good a seat as you can get.  Good bike show also. 

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2015, 08:58:49 PM »
consider some electric heat onboard too.. I have Airvantage liner that has electric heat and an air bladder you blow up to conform to your bod.. very cozy.. can make a long rainy day almost pleasant..
Aerostich also has those space towels that dry instantly plus all kind of packable stoves.. they are more motorcycle based than REI..
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2015, 06:45:37 AM »
Go light. Minimal stove if any. Decent 20 degree synthetic bag ( it will rain, down doesn't work if it's wet), wear dry clothes to bed if you're cold.

I say minimal stove because as noted above it really complicates things-unless you are REALLY trying to go cheap. Shopping for food at the supermarket, loading it on to a Sportster, heading to a wilderness camp sight-you'll look like you're an extra from Grapes of Wrath.

I was alot younger when I went all homeless for a while, more fun though eating at diners and meeting people, getting opportunities to work for my meals.

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2015, 07:06:27 AM »
Crusty, I must have missed the bit where you decided the Norge was no good for the job.  I'm interested to know why. Was it in another post?
New Zealand
2002 Ev tourer (Stalled again...)

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2015, 07:44:12 AM »
I use a single sized air mattress I purchased for around $29.00.  It's probably 6" thick when inflated. Rolls up to the same size as a matress pad I have which is not comfortable at all.  Sure I need to bring the battery powered inflater that came with it but it's a small price to pay for true sleeping comfort.
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2015, 07:49:53 AM »
This link might be helpful  http://www.backpacker.com/gear/

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2015, 08:10:54 AM »
Crusty, I must have missed the bit where you decided the Norge was no good for the job.  I'm interested to know why. Was it in another post?

Yes, it is a somewhat sad state of affairs when a 65,000 mile Norge is considered not up to the job but a Sportster is.

Though I think the Sportster choice is totally cool.

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2015, 08:12:46 AM »
I use a single sized air mattress I purchased for around $29.00.  It's probably 6" thick when inflated. Rolls up to the same size as a matress pad I have which is not comfortable at all.  Sure I need to bring the battery powered inflater that came with it but it's a small price to pay for true sleeping comfort.

I like air beds too, or very thick air mattresses.  My current mattress is an army surplus (4" thick).  Nicely insulated.  The nice thing about it is it allows me to sleep on my side which is important for me.  It (and the air beds) is also quiet.  I never thought about that aspect until I camped in a crowded campground with some backpackers.  Their mattresses were so noisy it was annoying (and no they were not in the same tent with each other :)  ).  
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2015, 08:37:58 AM »
Yes, it is a somewhat sad state of affairs when a 65,000 mile Norge is considered not up to the job but a Sportster is.

Though I think the Sportster choice is totally cool.

Not to hijack, but I THINK the only question with the Norge is potential dash issues that could strand him with a very small support network, while the Sportster is carbureted, rubbermounted, and ubiquitous lending extreme ease in both parts and general support.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here