Author Topic: V7-II in showrooms in Oz.  (Read 19266 times)

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
Re: V7-II in showrooms in Oz.
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2015, 08:31:37 AM »
Can you tell us where the ABS unit is stashed?   A pic of it would be very useful.  Thanks.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Offline roadscum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2015, 02:18:20 PM »
How does the $14K  compare to the previous model year?

Paul
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing " - Socrates

Paul M. in SW Florida: 318 miles, 11 curves and not a Guzzi dealer in sight!

SilentKilla

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2015, 08:56:16 PM »
Can you tell us where the ABS unit is stashed?   A pic of it would be very useful.  Thanks.

It's directly between the heads and on the opposite side of the frame to the voltage regulator. I'll take a pic of it later tonight for you.

How does the $14K  compare to the previous model year?

Paul

I think its either the same price here are the previous model, possibly $500 cheaper.

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re:
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2015, 07:24:39 AM »
Sib, isn't that exactly where you and others were guessing it would be?
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Wildguzzi.com

Re:
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2015, 07:24:39 AM »

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
Re:
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2015, 07:33:55 AM »
Sib, isn't that exactly where you and others were guessing it would be?
I can't claim credit for that guess, but it does seem a logical place to put it.  My dealer is going to speak with the Guzzi rep some time this week and will let me know of any updated plans on shipping dates to the USA, etc.  I'll report back here as soon as I find out anything.  I'm going to put a deposit on a V7II Stone as soon as I know what the price will be here.  I don't think it will be much (if any) higher than the current Stone crop, but due diligence means I need to know what I'm committing to before I commit.  I like my current V7 Stone a lot, but life is short (especially at my age) and what's not to like about more knee room, another gear, and ABS/TC?

Offline VladTepes

• New Egg
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2015, 12:50:46 AM »
Silentkilla - congratulations on the V7-II and welcome to the forum. Good report mate, keep it coming !

SilentKilla

« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2015, 01:30:31 AM »

FYI:

Offline ozziguzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2015, 12:12:02 AM »
Hi Chris, . If you opt for new pipes check out those made by Pipemaster in QLD, they were on the demo I rode and deliver a good note. I've gotten used to the standard ones for the moment and am investing in stuff to increase my range such as H&B Nevada saddle bags on C bow mounts. Might meet you on the Nullarbor one day? Andy

I've just removed a set of Pipemasters from my V7 special because they were just too loud for the neighbours (i liked them) and they failed the C of F Qld test. Because they came with the bike, I'm not sure if the prev owner pulled out the baffles, but there's a lot of daylight when I look through them.
Maybe the stock ones are different but I don't think they are good in comparison to Staintunes ( price /build) and when I take off the Lanfranconis (too mild) then I'll get Staintunes.
East Coast of AUS. where?  If you want to borrow the PMs to try out let me know.

Pete Roper did the map upgrade earlier this week and it now runs a lot better. He did say that if I go back to the PMs then the ECU will try and self adjust to the different pipes and if they're too radical (which I suspect they are) then the ECU will get 'confused'. (jump in Pete if I'm misquoting you) and might need help to adjust.

PMs sit much higher and are attached to the bottom bolt of the rear support. Even with Ls my bags were almost touching the pipes, so with Pipemasters being 3" higher.........

Met the Sydney Guzzisti at the Four of Hands hotel monthly meeting and I'd like to be there to ride with them. Went riding with Mal (Malik) who helped me with drawings to have new hanger plates for the Ls fabbed up. (Prev owner dumped them !!!!!!) Great guy and was very helpful.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 12:17:43 AM by ozziguzzi »
2012 V7 special STB
Kawasaki Drifter
Kawasaki GPZ 500
2012 racer TTB
K75
SV650X cafe
W800 cafe
GB 500
Suzuki Titan T500
Honda MB5 (with a whoppa 100cc engine transplant)
Kawasaki Sherpa
CX 650 (2)
DR 650
Kawasaki BR250 (3)
DR 200
Honda Spadas (3)
Vespa Della Moda

Offline coastdude

• New Egg
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2015, 01:39:00 AM »
Thanks ozzie, some interesting points there. The ones on the test bike I rode were not "stop talking, and look at me!" loud, just fruity at higher revs, so you're probably right about your baffles having been removed. I have a gianelli 2 into 1 on the Pantah and cant imagine life without it (after 32 years of ownership) but I try not to be obnoxious, fortunately I live in the country in the hills behind Byron Bay and can get away with a bit of noise. The stock pipes on my V7 are endearing themselves to me, as I do a few more kms and my priority is now probably different shocks. My bags arrived during the week and I'll have a go at fitting them this weekend, they will govern any new pipe decisions I make. Thanks for the offer of a loan. Andy
Don't try to eat anything larger than your head
2015 V7II Special
1982 Ducati 600 Pantah

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2015, 07:43:52 AM »
FYI:
Thanks for the pic.  It looks very crowded in there, I hope the unit doesn't require frequent wrenching.  I also wonder how hot it gets when idling in traffic on a very hot day.

Vasco DG

« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2015, 04:44:49 PM »
I've just removed a set of Pipemasters from my V7 special because they were just too loud for the neighbours (i liked them) and they failed the C of F Qld test. Because they came with the bike, I'm not sure if the prev owner pulled out the baffles, but there's a lot of daylight when I look through them.
Maybe the stock ones are different but I don't think they are good in comparison to Staintunes ( price /build) and when I take off the Lanfranconis (too mild) then I'll get Staintunes.
East Coast of AUS. where?  If you want to borrow the PMs to try out let me know.

Pete Roper did the map upgrade earlier this week and it now runs a lot better. He did say that if I go back to the PMs then the ECU will try and self adjust to the different pipes and if they're too radical (which I suspect they are) then the ECU will get 'confused'. (jump in Pete if I'm misquoting you) and might need help to adjust.

PMs sit much higher and are attached to the bottom bolt of the rear support. Even with Ls my bags were almost touching the pipes, so with Pipemasters being 3" higher.........

Met the Sydney Guzzisti at the Four of Hands hotel monthly meeting and I'd like to be there to ride with them. Went riding with Mal (Malik) who helped me with drawings to have new hanger plates for the Ls fabbed up. (Prev owner dumped them !!!!!!) Great guy and was very helpful.

The thing is that whatever pipes are on it the ECU will try and trim the fuel to what it thinks should be correct. The problem is that if it has to trim too far it may decide that there is a problem and then one assumes it will throw an error and maybe drop into limp mode. More serious on the single TB models than the earlier twin TB machines. Although never having experienced it yet I don't know for sure what the full consequences would be.

As for open pipes on the V7's? Quite apart from my general dislike of noisy vehicles the smallblocks just sound bad to me if un-muffled. A real 'Try-Hard' sort of noise like a side valve engine on a fire pump with a rotted out muffler. It doesn't speak of enhanced performance rather of poorly tuned narcissism. Each to their own though.

Pete

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2015, 11:27:11 AM »
I learned from the Moto Guzzi Australia web site that they will send a pdf of the owner's manual if requested, but only for Australians.  Would it be too much to ask one of you Oz's to download one and post it here so us 'Mercans can anticipate what's in store for us later this year?  I'd be forever grateful.

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2015, 02:46:27 PM »
Another quick question:  do the new V7II bikes have the same GPS power plug under the dashboard panel that the '12-'14 V7s have?  On the earlier bikes, the plugs were meant to connect to a TomTom GPS unit, and it is nearly, but not quite completely, impossible to find a matching socket if you want to connect another kind of GPS unit, or a USB adapter, and don't want to cut the plug off and wire in something more universal, like an SAE plug.  Thanks.

Vasco DG

« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2015, 12:48:54 AM »
I learned from the Moto Guzzi Australia web site that they will send a pdf of the owner's manual if requested, but only for Australians.  Would it be too much to ask one of you Oz's to download one and post it here so us 'Mercans can anticipate what's in store for us later this year?  I'd be forever grateful.

It's an owner's handbook? It won't tell you anything staggeringly wonderful. There's a link to all the handbooks on the service portal but re-posting anything from there is verboten! Sorry.

Really though it's nothing to get excited over.

Pete

lucydad

« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2015, 05:46:51 PM »
Chris,

Fantastic motorcycle, congratulations!  Watch the oil dipstick for rattling loose.  As she breaks in, the smoothness will emerge.

Ride safe! 

Offline coastdude

• New Egg
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2015, 04:36:28 AM »
Today I took my v7II for first service at dealership . I cant say I noticed a huge difference afterwards but am enjoying the bike more and more every time I ride it. The gearbox is smooth, brakes seem fine (I haven't had to use them in anger) and I've gotten used to the stock pipes and suspension. I'm really impressed by the handling, but that is probably no surprise to all of you guzzi aficionados. We are lucky that some old, well built roads around here have been bypassed by highway upgrades and most citizens and trucks prefer the more direct option. My wish list for upgrades has changed a bit since I bought the bike, I've bought some panniers and crash bars that i haven't yet fitted, and after having to spend some time on the freeway at 110km a screen of some sort is high on my list (lots of chat about the dart flyscreen but I am curious towards the Puig Windy. I've got to do something about seat, it may just be me but I am still suffering from (short term)paralysis of the penis (see post on this site) when riding. I'm exploring airhawk, sheepskin, padded undies options for this, enough of that.  The new V7 is a handsome beast, I have had no mechanical issues with it at all and it is inspiring me to go somewhere far away (destination vague) with its apparent reliability.
Don't try to eat anything larger than your head
2015 V7II Special
1982 Ducati 600 Pantah

Offline greer

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2015, 07:12:59 AM »
Thanks for the update, glad to hear you are enjoying the bike more miles you ride.  Please keep us posted on the windscreen (I like the looks of the Windy too, if it'll fit) and best of luck with the seat.

Sarah

p.s. Regarding the seat, you might Google the Freedom Air seat cushion, I think I read it beat out Airhawk in a recent comparison.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 07:41:33 AM by greer »
Sarah '21 V7 Special, '17 XT250, '17 V9 Roamer sold August 2021, '16 V7 II Stone sold September 2021, '08 Nevada Classic sold August 2020 
Doug '21 V85TT, '05 Sportster Roadster, '13 XT250

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here