Author Topic: Norge Wanted  (Read 19405 times)

Offline Jerryd

• Gaggle Hero
Norge Wanted
« on: March 09, 2015, 10:14:49 AM »
I'm looking for a well sorted black 2008 or later, 2V engine. Please PM me.

Thanks

Jerry
Jerry
Florida

Offline Jerryd

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Norge Wanted
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 12:17:17 PM »
Forgot to ask, what changes/updates were needed on early Norge's other then the fuel pump/hose issue? I had two 2007's. The first one ran great with only a ECU reflash and Bui (sp?) risers. I can't remember what other issues we had with those early 2V bikes?
Jerry
Florida

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 12:26:18 PM »
Early. Suspension was too soft.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 12:58:44 PM »
Just curious why are you not considering an 8V? They are going relatively cheap used and have many improvements over the previous generation?
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 12:58:44 PM »

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 01:13:44 PM »
Just curious why are you not considering an 8V? They are going relatively cheap used and have many improvements over the previous generation?
GliderJohn

Yeah, I'm perfectly OK with mine except for the heat management but if I was buying again I'd go for an 8V. Mileage isn't as good on the newer ones, but I'd trade that out for not getting cooked in the summertime.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Bill Hagan

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 01:15:50 PM »
Forgot to ask, what changes/updates were needed on early Norge's other then the fuel pump/hose issue? I had two 2007's. The first one ran great with only a ECU reflash and Bui (sp?) risers. I can't remember what other issues we had with those early 2V bikes?

I got to enjoy the fuel-pump "issue," but not sure what you mean about "hose."

Also had the CARC disintegrate.

All fixed under warranty.  Unaware of later Norges (first- or second-gen) having either of those.

"Airborne" top cases were fixed under recall, as was a headlight wiring.

As do other models, oil-pressure sensors suck green eggs.

All of the above notwithstanding, I love my '07.  A delight to ride one-up or two-.

Heat was never a major problem for me ... when moving.

If I had to replace it, however, I'd be all over a new one.

Bill

Offline Jerryd

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 01:46:09 PM »
Yeah, I'm perfectly OK with mine except for the heat management but if I was buying again I'd go for an 8V. Mileage isn't as good on the newer ones, but I'd trade that out for not getting cooked in the summertime.

I never had heat problems with either of my 07's. Are you saying the 8V is worse on mileage?
Jerry
Florida

Offline Jerryd

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 01:47:42 PM »
GliderJohn

Just curious what they are selling for versus the early models? What were the improvements?
Jerry
Florida

Offline samfrank

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 01:50:12 PM »
I never had heat problems with either of my 07's. Are you saying the 8V is worse on mileage?

The mileage (for me) was definitely better on my '07 than on my '13. On the '07 mid to high 40's even into 50mpg. On the '13 low 40's even dropping into the high 30's. I, however, do not ride for gas mileage.
1973 Eldorado
2013 Norge - moving to Arizona to live with John.
2015 Yamaha FJR1300

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 02:07:35 PM »
Quote from Jerryd:
Just curious what they are selling for versus the early models? What were the improvements?

Okay the bad news first, mileage is poorer. I pretty much average around 36-38mpg.
Good news and others help me here as I will probably forget something
At least in my case the 8V engine is a sweetheart. Great torque, revs easily, smooth, good fuel mapping.
Better suspension.
Better seat.
Better dash placement to reduce glare and easier to read.
Better fairing.
Better engine heat to rider management.
Higher and more pulled back handlebars.
Easier access to the oil dipstick.

I did replace the stock windscreen with a larger Cal/Sci just for more protection. No buffeting issues or anything with the stock screen. I have had mine up to 140mph indicated with side bags and top case on, rock solid!
Hope this helps.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 04:41:39 PM »
I'm looking for a well sorted black 2008 or later, 2V engine. Please PM me.

Thanks

Jerry

I know you said 2008 and later, but thought I would mention that Crusty has a very reasonable price on an '07, right now.  Might not work for you, but FYI.

Cheers,
Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore (Yep, two)

Offline Red07

• Hatchling
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 05:25:29 PM »
I believe The Motocycleshop in Watertown SD has a black 2008 listed on their website.

Randy

Offline Crusty

• Gaggle Hero
  • You can't put a price on Worthlessness.
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2015, 05:52:50 PM »
I know of a 2007 Norge that's for sale for short money (I think he'd take three grand for it) It's not perfect, and it has 65k on the odometer, but it's worth the price.
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

'07 Norge

Offline Jerryd

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2015, 07:22:09 PM »
Quote from Jerryd:
Okay the bad news first, mileage is poorer. I pretty much average around 36-38mpg.
Good news and others help me here as I will probably forget something
At least in my case the 8V engine is a sweetheart. Great torque, revs easily, smooth, good fuel mapping.
Better suspension.
Better seat.
Better dash placement to reduce glare and easier to read.
Better fairing.
Better engine heat to rider management.
Higher and more pulled back handlebars.
Easier access to the oil dipstick.

I did replace the stock windscreen with a larger Cal/Sci just for more protection. No buffeting issues or anything with the stock screen. I have had mine up to 140mph indicated with side bags and top case on, rock solid!
Hope this helps.
GliderJohn

I remember when the 8V came out that it seemed the general consensus was that the 4V(2V) had better low end torque, but the 8V was better on the top end.

Mileage is important to me because I only use it for longer distance rides.

So, what seems to be the going price?
Jerry
Florida

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2015, 08:53:14 PM »
Send Crusty a PM.  If I still had my old job I'd buy it now.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2015, 09:00:32 PM »
I also know someone who has a Hyperpro shock and YSS springs/emulators out of his '07 Norge for sale, right now.  That could easily overcome the weakest point on a first-year Norge.

:beat_horse   ;D

Shaun

Edit:  The suspension parts are NOT mine, just to be clear.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 09:01:29 PM by smdl »
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore (Yep, two)

Doppelgaenger

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2015, 09:19:20 PM »
From my experience looking at Norges, the going price is around 5-6k for a good example with less than 20k miles. That is with luggage.

I do appreciate the Breva's ability to keep my feet warm when the temp is cold out. I will not appreciate it's ability to keep my feet hot when it warms up a a bit. This is something that the 8V Norges will not have.

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2015, 10:09:21 PM »
So, what seems to be the going price?

They don't seem to appear for sale very often but new ones are now OTD now for around 15K, paid about 16K out the door in 2011. Mine has a few scratches on the the fairing high points and on a side case from when I dumped it at walking speed turning into my drive off a dirt road. With a bit over 10K miles I would be surprised if I could get more than 8-9K for it, if that but then it doesn't matter as mine is not for sale.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2015, 08:08:00 AM »
I also know someone who has a Hyperpro shock and YSS springs/emulators out of his '07 Norge for sale, right now.  That could easily overcome the weakest point on a first-year Norge.

:beat_horse   ;D

Shaun

Edit:  The suspension parts are NOT mine, just to be clear.

That is what I installed on my 07 and it made a huge difference.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Jerryd

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2015, 08:33:40 AM »
From my experience looking at Norges, the going price is around 5-6k for a good example with less than 20k miles. That is with luggage.

I do appreciate the Breva's ability to keep my feet warm when the temp is cold out. I will not appreciate it's ability to keep my feet hot when it warms up a a bit. This is something that the 8V Norges will not have.

Are you saying 5-6K for an 8V? Where?
Jerry
Florida

Offline Jerryd

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2015, 06:31:39 PM »
bump
Jerry
Florida

Offline skippy

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2015, 06:40:38 PM »
If you find one without the bar risers, let me know. I have a set I took off my Breva if you are interested. I, myself really enjoy the two valve motor of this ilk. I think they are the best of the best two valvers out there. I must be a little bit old school since I am waiting to buy a four valver once they have a few years under their belt to prove themselves. (It has been, what, six years now?)

Skippy
23 V100 Mandello
20 V85TT

Bill Hagan

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2015, 06:46:54 PM »

I have not seen that low a price for an 8v, and I have seen several.  I recently sold my brother's 2012 for him.  

Suspect low for one is 8 and up, with the mode being higher.

Winchester Motosports has one on consignment at just below 8.

"2012 Moto Guzzi Norge 1100 (sic; it's a 1200); Priced to sell - well below book! Factory hard bags included. Fresh service. $7,995.00."  Contact info here: http://www.winchestermotosports.com.

I have no connection with the actual seller, but I like Carl and crew at WMS.

Bill

Offline Jerryd

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2015, 08:38:22 PM »
If you find one without the bar risers, let me know. I have a set I took off my Breva if you are interested. I, myself really enjoy the two valve motor of this ilk. I think they are the best of the best two valvers out there. I must be a little bit old school since I am waiting to buy a four valver once they have a few years under their belt to prove themselves. (It has been, what, six years now?)

Skippy

Which make of risers. Will they fit an 8V Norge? I had Mike Bui's on one of my 2007 Norge's, and I think MI's on my second one.
Jerry
Florida

Doppelgaenger

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2015, 09:30:41 PM »

No, for the 4v. $6500 is the average price. 8Vs will go for about 7-10 but I wouldn't pay that much.

Offline radlefty

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2015, 09:33:03 PM »
I have not seen that low a price for an 8v, and I have seen several.  I recently sold my brother's 2012 for him.  

Suspect low for one is 8 and up, with the mode being higher.

Winchester Motosports has one on consignment at just below 8.

"2012 Moto Guzzi Norge 1100 (sic; it's a 1200); Priced to sell - well below book! Factory hard bags included. Fresh service. $7,995.00."  Contact info here: http://www.winchestermotosports.com.

I have no connection with the actual seller, but I like Carl and crew at WMS.

Bill

I had a 2007 Norge which I loved but sold 2 yrs ago. I also had a 2007 Sprint which I also loved but sold to buy a 2011 BMW K1300s. It's a great bike but I find myself missing the more visceral feel of twins and triples and so have been looking at different bikes including an 8V Norge. The bike that Bill listed at winchester is the cheapest 8V I've seen listed. Most used 2011-2013 seem to fall between $8,900 - $11,000.  Seen several 07-08 in the $5,000-$6,000 range.  And of course Crusty is virtually giving away his 07.  National Powersports in New Hampshire has a Black 08 Norge listed on ebay right now, but I think their price is a bit ambitious.

It's alway's about the journey... Wherever you go, there you are.

Bikeless in Mpls

Offline gscott

• Hatchling
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2015, 09:51:47 PM »
A red '07 with 53k miles just sold on Craigslist in Peoria Az, last posted price was $4350. I know of another '07, silver w/38k miles, sold for $4300.

If an '07 was actually 'well sorted' why would an '08 be better? I have an '07, suspension seems nice and firm to me. Don't know what mods may have been done, but I'm no lightweight..
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 01:24:03 PM by gscott »
2007 Norge - silver
2000 Quota - black
2000 V11 Sport - green
2000 V11 Bassa - pearl white (the one I sold)

Vasco DG

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2015, 11:09:04 PM »
Go 8V.  Fueling can be sorted. Stock economy can be improved on considerably for the reasons covered in another thread.

The 8V is a lovely thing and doesn't feel breathless and asthmatic like the last of the 2V motors due to their smaller throttle bodies which strangle them at the top end.

Pete

Offline Jerryd

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2015, 04:58:20 AM »
Go 8V.  Fueling can be sorted. Stock economy can be improved on considerably for the reasons covered in another thread.

The 8V is a lovely thing and doesn't feel breathless and asthmatic like the last of the 2V motors due to their smaller throttle bodies which strangle them at the top end.

Pete

Well, a lot of opinions about the 4V versus 8V models! I'm getting confused ???

Personally, I never had any issues with either of my 2007's. Especially the first one I bought new after trading in my Griso. It was completely stock other then bar risers. It was far from "breathless" Ask the officer who stopped me in on the Interstate in Arizona coming back from the Nationals in Malibu, and clocked me at 124, and I easily had more room to go!

It does seem though that the 8V has some other attributes I need to investigate. Hopefully they will have a demo bike at Bike Week when I go up tomorrow.
Jerry
Florida

Bill Hagan

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2015, 05:33:02 AM »
Well, a lot of opinions about the 4V versus 8V models! I'm getting confused ???

Personally, I never had any issues with either of my 2007's. Especially the first one I bought new after trading in my Griso. It was completely stock other then bar risers. It was far from "breathless" Ask the officer who stopped me in on the Interstate in Arizona coming back from the Nationals in Malibu, and clocked me at 124, and I easily had more room to go!

It does seem though that the 8V has some other attributes I need to investigate. Hopefully they will have a demo bike at Bike Week when I go up tomorrow.

Hope you do get to compare.

As for "easily had more room to go!," probably so if you mean Arizona.   ;D

Seriously, I am a fan of "old" and "new" Norges, but doubt very much you could have been clocked by real instruments much higher than your cop's 124.  Mine runs great and I've seen 126 or so (indicated) twice comma but.

I haven't told my brother how fast I have ridden his (former) 2012 8v, and, truth be told, it wasn't even an indicated 120.  But, at that speed, it was clear to me that it was quite willing and able to go faster and soon.  Joy that it is, my '07 does not feel that way.

Yes, all of that is "seat of the pants" anecdata and thus good for my train only, no one else's. 

Good luck on the demo.  Let us know what you think.

Bill

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here