Author Topic: Plastic quick connect from fuel tank  (Read 19915 times)

Offline LaGrasta

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Plastic quick connect from fuel tank
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2015, 03:44:11 PM »
I've not installed it yet. The next time the tank must be removed, I'll make the swap. Yes, using FI hose and clamps. I see no reason it should work its way off, once installed.
You can buy style, but you have to build character.

'10 Moto Guzzi V7 Cafe Classic
'03 Moto Guzzi VII Sport
'14 Kawasaki KLX250S
'89 Honda GB500tt
'82 Honda GL500 bobber
…and two step-through scooters too.

Offline jackson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2015, 05:04:14 PM »
I've not installed it yet. The next time the tank must be removed, I'll make the swap. Yes, using FI hose and clamps. I see no reason it should work its way off, once installed.
I took the advice that krglorioso gave and used safety wire as an extra measure of precaution to ensure that the clamped fuel line on the red nipple could not slip over a period of time.  He's done this on two Guzzis and one has been on for around three years with zero slippage or leaks so it obviously works well.  Only takes a few minutes to add the safety wire while the tank is already off and it gives me "peace of mind" to have it on there.  My connectors arrive tomorrow so all I have to do to complete the project is screw them into the line that I've already installed, clamp them and snap the connectors together. 
If I bought another Guzzi that had this crummy connector on it, I would immediately replace it with this setup. It's worth the time & cost of materials to replace the inferior, factory connectors.
NO longer can ride

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2015, 10:32:20 PM »
I'll mention my fix for the problem, which is that given where it lives, you can't grasp the fitting properly to get it off.  So I cut my fuel line in a more accessible place and installed marine grade fuel line quick disconnects.  They work like air hose couplings except both sides self-seal for dripless operation -- no pressure relief needed.  If you've got an old outboard motor tank and hose kicking around you already have the parts.

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2015, 10:52:38 PM »
PS:  I used a 10" length of 8mm EFI hose running from the red elbow to the EXTERNAL fuel filter (all metal Mahle KL-145, I believe) and this places the filter in the space under the upper frame rails, where I wrapped it with a short piece of pipe insulation so it's not banging around on any neighboring pipe or frame rail.  I shortened the OEM fuel hose by about 10" and connected the outlet end of the filter there. Usual safety wire.  I can easily raise the tank and slip off the quick connector with one hand, patting myself on the back vigorously with the other!

Ralph. 
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2015, 10:52:38 PM »

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2017, 10:16:16 AM »
Solving one problem, I created another - luckily this doesn't always happen!  Had to work on replacing the distintegrated switch for my fog lights on the Norge (was getting intermittent performance on/off of the lights) and decided that taking the tank off to check the wiring and relays was a good idea.  Good news, fog lights are working again and no crimping found, relay working well, and some re-routing of the wiring is done.  Check!

Bad news - I have now joined the fuel disconnect "Broken Red Elbow" club of esteemed colleagues above!  Thanks to this post, replacement parts from Gutsibits are on the way (ordered 2 just be on the safe side plus the pump gasket).  At least I was able to confirm in the process that I had already had the solid fuel filter installed and not the old plastic bloated one, and all else looks good.

Now I need get some padding to replace the foam under the tank, is that even a Guzzi part # or have folks just fabbed up some of their own padding with 3M adhesive and foam rubber?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 10:23:45 AM by PJPR01 »
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2017, 06:19:59 PM »
If you haven't got it yet, pad #GU05102930
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

twowings

« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2017, 06:54:35 PM »
What parts did you order, Paul, and from where?

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2017, 09:38:05 PM »
What parts did you order, Paul, and from where?

Hi Chris...I ordered the red elbow which sits at the bottom of the pump on the outside of the tank, it's snugged in to pump and then held in place by a worm/grub hex screw, and the pump gasket, both from Gutsibits.

Here's the linky:

http://gutsibits.co.uk/pr/TheShop/index.php?f=e&Shnew=1&Model=2&ModelName=Breva%201100,%201200%20Sport,%20Norge,%20Griso,%20Stelvio&Cat=FUA&CatName=Fuel%20and%20Carburettors&spPage=3#topbar

Page 1 of this shows the rubber pump gasket - check that your fuel pump model is part number 05107230 on the fuel pump flange, if so, this gasket is for you.

Page 3 shows the Elbow...Gutsibits sells it in white, yours should be red if it had never been replaced before. 

Helluva a deal...pay 26 GBP for the elbow, or shell out 500 GBP for the pump, not sure what the pump costs stateside.  Cheap insurance...I bought 2 of them!

Paul R
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

pete roper

« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2017, 12:12:02 AM »
It's in a Samples bag but that's the Aprilia part#

]

Online Dukedesmo

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2017, 05:30:10 AM »
The CPC metal connectors are far better than the fragile plastic type but one thing to be aware of with them is the type of 'O' ring. As standard they supply them with a Nitrile 'O' ring which is not fuel resistant.

I fitted them to my Ducati 916 tank and they were fine for a year or so but the Nitrile rings swell in fuel and so those on the hose fitting split or leak - not a big problem as Viton 'O' rings are easily available, cheap and easy to change (in fact it's wise to change them regularly as it's easy to 'pinch' them, then they leak).

But the 'O' ring inside the tank fitting was also nitrile and when this swelled it cut off the fuel supply, leaving me stranded at the road side.

When I got the bike home it took me a while to figure out what was wrong as disconnecting/reconnecting the fittings made it work again (at least for a mile when it broke down again and I ended up nearly having a cardiac 'incident' pushing it home).

But to change the internal 'O' ring on the female fitting requires removal of the fitting from the tank which is a bit of a game due to the access and tapered threads on the fitting meaning they are tight.

Moral of the story is make sure the fittings (particularly the female) have Viton 'O' rings - CPC part number has the suffix 'V' if they are viton. or, if they don't have them in stock with Viton (they didn't when I contacted them) then order some Viton 'O' rings and change them before use. If in any doubt then change them anyway as swapping the 'O' ring in the tank fitting is a PITA if the fitting is in the tank.

The above info relates to a Ducati and so may not be relevant to Guzzi and I don't know if Guzzi use the same part? as there are NPT or BSP threads? but for info the NPT thread as used by Ducati has the following CPC part no.

CPC -  LCD10004V = Metal female with viton seal

The hose fitting is;

CPC - LCD23006V = Metal male with viton seal 

If they only have the same part without the 'V' at the end then assume the 'O' ring is not Viton and get some ath the same time as the fitting, in fact get some spares as the ones on the hose attachments will need changing at some point anyway.
Le Mans II
Ducati 916
Ducati M900

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2017, 06:18:18 AM »
I use the green one of these

ASTA_A_1102504_3" border="0

Allows you to squeeze, pull and wiggle in a tight space all at the same time  :wink:

Go here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-FUEL-LINE-DISCONNECTION-SET-PLIERS-3-PIECE-PIPE-REMOVAL-PETROL-DIESEL-/222451245872?epid=1795061011&hash=item33cb20a330:g:yjAAAOSwPCVYBJnM about 7 quid on fleabay
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

pete roper

« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2017, 06:46:15 AM »
Mate, I feel like I've just been kissed on the arse by a golden fairy!

While I've never broken one they can be aright bastard! That looks like just the ticket! Excellent find. Thank you!

Pete

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2017, 07:02:39 AM »
Awwww Pete - I didn't know you cared  :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

Glad I could help

2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2017, 09:41:23 AM »
Excellent tips there gents...thank you.  Will get that handy tool and look for the proper O-rings.  Good stuff! 

Esoterica Guzzica at its best!
Paul R
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline flower_king001

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2017, 09:55:53 AM »
Hi-

Just making sure, this would be the correct disconnect for a '07 Breva 1100?

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/cpcqkdiscon1.html

Thanks, Brian
Current Fleet

1971 BMW R90/5
1986 Moto Guzzi Lemans IV 1000
1998 Moto Guzzi 1100 EV
2005 BMW 1200 RT
2007 BMW 1200 GS
2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2017, 10:26:00 AM »
    I, like many others, was going crazy trying to remove the quick disconnect (oxy moron!) fuel coupling on my 2008 CalVin. The thing literally brought me to my knees, and I was deathly afraid of breaking the plastic piece of crap.

I apologize, I don't have the link,,, but I think it was the owner of a Breva? who had posted 2 different videos on Youtube, on how to remove the MG fuel line disconnect, that solved the mystery for me,,, patience is a virtue,,, once I figured it out,, it was a simple one hand removal,,, I've probably put the hex on it for future removals, bwth,,,lol.

From the video, and what worked for me,, was grabbing the outer female part of the coupling between my thumb and middle fingers,,,push the coupling forward, and while maintaining forward pressure,,, putting tips of my thumb and index finger, using them as slight wedges pushing backwards as I wiggled it slightly back and forth.

Once I mastered this simple one handed technique,,, what had previously, frustrated me for hrs, became a 5 second damage free removal, I didn't have to relieve pressure in the line or jump through any hoops.

After seeing how simple and well the right technique worked,,, I would be extremely hesitant about using any tpe of tool around those fragile , brittle plastic bits.

As always, ymmv fwiw,,,

Good luck

Kelly

« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 04:28:46 PM by 80CX100 »
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2017, 12:09:31 PM »
I use the green one of these

ASTA_A_1102504_3" border="0

Allows you to squeeze, pull and wiggle in a tight space all at the same time  :wink:

Go here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-FUEL-LINE-DISCONNECTION-SET-PLIERS-3-PIECE-PIPE-REMOVAL-PETROL-DIESEL-/222451245872?epid=1795061011&hash=item33cb20a330:g:yjAAAOSwPCVYBJnM about 7 quid on fleabay

US buyers may want to check Amazon - the sellers there are also in the UK, but some offer less expensive and faster shipping to the US. As always, with any foreign source the reviews become very important!

I'm puzzled that no one seems to offer these things in the US - we're saddled with the klutzy designs instead!
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2017, 12:44:50 PM »
I bought a set of those pliers style tools. Didn't work for me except to use them as a way to grip the QD fitting.

What has worked so far is to lift back of tank, disconnect the fuel pump electrical connector, start the bike and let it run out to relieve the fuel pressure and the QD comes off with a bit of a wiggle. HD tells you to do this same thing for their QD connector.

Seems to work??
Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2017, 01:06:54 PM »
I'm hoping that these little tools will make handling this contraption a little easier...almost like you need a 3rd pair of hands at the moment to squeeze in the gray tabs and then wiggle that bugger off the red nipple....will see once the replacement item comes in.

Thanks for all the inputs here guys.
Paul R
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here