Author Topic: (NGC) 2wd vs 4wd pckups  (Read 20991 times)

Rough Edge racing

Re: (NGC) 2wd vs 4wd pckups
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2015, 07:27:52 AM »
The Hemi engine in the Ram truck is a pushrod engine.

Advanced auto engines is far more than the number of valves  camshafts or superchargers. If light weight, compactness is an issue nothing is better than the LS Chevy pushrod engine. Doing contract electric work in a junkyard there were rows of engines from late model vehicles. The Chevy LS looks tiny compared to bulky OHC and DOHC or the Mopar new Hemi of similar power.The standard 420 something HP Corvette or Camaro engine is about 400 pounds... And the LS common truck block can handle in excess of 1000 HP...

Offline GearheadGrrrl

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2015, 07:46:35 AM »
But if you want HP per pound you need overhead cams, which give more accurate valve timing too. That's why even the big bore diesels built by Cummins, Daimler, etc. have gone to overhead cams, and they only turn 2100 RPMs at most. And if you really need a pickup, get a 21st century one with aluminum body and OHC turboed engines like the new F150.
Guzzi: Quota with Motorvation 'hack
BMWs: F800S, R100GS, R80ST with Motorvation Spyder 'hack, R65LS
Hacks: Motovation Spyder and Formula II
Buell: M2L, RIP Buell Motors Corporation
Yamaha: MX250 $25 auction find, "static display" for now, XS650 "on loan" from my brother, 'nother "static displa

56Pan

« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2015, 07:50:54 AM »
Do you even need a pickup? I live in rural Minnesota and have a 4 wheel drive Ranger that hasn't been on the road for a couple years, get around fine in a couple VW Golf TDIs. If the roads ain't plowed it's too dangerous to drive anyway and I sit it out. Hauling stuff? Just hook up the trailer. Think about it for a minute- $30k plus for a 4WD pickup that gets 15 MPG vs. $20k for a decent small car that gets 30MPG and does the same job? With the $10k saved you can buy a new Guzzi and the $$$ saved on fuel will fuel the Guzzi!

That price for a pickup is accurate, I reckon, if you have to have something late model.  I've got a '93 Chevy 3/4 ton 2 wh. drive that I've had for about 18 yrs.  Put a new mil. surplus diesel engine in it, GM rebuilt trans., and just had it painted. Many other new parts, but still way cheaper than a late model.  Hope to make it last until they plant me.  But I don't mind working on it, as it's usually not got that many tight spots.  Good solid truck now and just put an intercooler on the diesel.  And a word of advice if anyone were to tackle doing a suspension rebuild: I replaced every suspension component in the truck.  And bought into the hype of polyurethane bushings.  Don't use them.  The ride is too harsh, and the last 4 bushings (poly) I replaced were between the cab and frame.  It honestly felt like I was going down the road on the rims after those were in.  Took them out and put in standard GM rubber bushings, but it's still too harsh a ride.  I put up with it, as I'm not about to tackle that job again. Oh, and don't believe all you read about Jasper rebuilt transmissions, but that's another story.

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2015, 08:18:27 AM »
Do you mean to say Jasper xmissions aren't crapola? ;D
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2015, 08:18:27 AM »

Offline GearheadGrrrl

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2015, 08:21:17 AM »
I'm keeping my '98 Ranger 4WD, might even insure and drive it next winter. But by a new one? Let's see, $30k just to take it home, then 8000 gallons of gas over it's 120,000 mile/10 year life as a frontline vehicle= another $20k even at today's low prices. Compare that to a car for $20k and half the fuel cost and you've got a $20k savings over 10 years... Enough to buy a new bike and fuel it!
Guzzi: Quota with Motorvation 'hack
BMWs: F800S, R100GS, R80ST with Motorvation Spyder 'hack, R65LS
Hacks: Motovation Spyder and Formula II
Buell: M2L, RIP Buell Motors Corporation
Yamaha: MX250 $25 auction find, "static display" for now, XS650 "on loan" from my brother, 'nother "static displa

56Pan

« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2015, 08:39:36 AM »
Do you mean to say Jasper xmissions aren't crapola? ;D

No. In my opinion, they're not much.  I put one in a few years ago, and it lasted all of 40k miles before the torque converter clutch was gone.  The GM Goodwrench trans., so far, is solid.  I bought it for the warranty, 3 yr./50k.  I've got to haul my son's El Camino from NC to NM in July and like the idea of being able to take the truck to any GM dealer if this trans. pulls a "Jasper" on me.

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2015, 10:36:27 AM »
But if you want HP per pound you need overhead cams, which give more accurate valve timing too. That's why even the big bore diesels built by Cummins, Daimler, etc. have gone to overhead cams, and they only turn 2100 RPMs at most. And if you really need a pickup, get a 21st century one with aluminum body and OHC turboed engines like the new F150.

The 505 HP Chevy LS 427 ci V-8 weighs 450 pounds full loaded with all injection and electronic parts and flywheel ready to bolt in. They are readily available from GM for 12 grand brand new with stand alone computer for use in older vehicles. They will bolt up to any Chevy car or truck bell housing from 55- present...A GM automatic trans can also be used.
 The Ford Eco boost is a fine engine but it doesn't really make power power per pound in stock tune and is bulkier than the Chevy...And the drive line match up is more limited...
 The all aluminum Ford F150 4x4 weighs a whopping 80 pounds less than the same Chevy....
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 10:37:21 AM by Rough Edge racing »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2015, 10:58:42 AM »
While we're musing - here's a topic -

Modern Direct Injection Motors - slightly more fuel efficient, but time bombs with the heads/intake valves and carbon deposits?

Discuss!

:pop
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2015, 10:59:22 AM »
Gardening just off a river bottom with a 20-30 degree grade is challenging. Gotta have a 4X4 for all sorts of things. I have hauled lots of manure and mulch as well as pull out bushes and small stumps. Love that 4X4 in Low.  I have never had this problem pulling bushes and small stumps.  :PICS!:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVLkAENacOo   :pop
 And notice where the idiot anchored to the buggy! He was destined for the scrap heap. Laws of physics duh I guess he thought he was using a helicopter and not a dune buggy when attaching the anchor..
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 11:01:17 AM by redrider90 »
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2015, 11:54:16 AM »

Modern Direct Injection Motors - slightly more fuel efficient, but time bombs with the heads/intake valves and carbon deposits?

Discuss!

This is a big concern for me. But the latest scuttlebutt; go ahead and do an intake treatment (e.g. Seafood), letting the intake airstream suck up the Seafoam (or your poison of choice) but DO NOT touch the throttle. Let this happen at idle. Otherwise you damage the turbo's (F150 Ecoboost motors).

But I think they are still at the early stages of noodling out how to handle the problem. I wonder if they got too clever by half and will go back to injectors upstream from the valves.
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2015, 12:48:36 PM »
Next time my rust bucket needs work, it's being put out to pasture, to be replaced by a nice utility trailer for behind our AWD Ford 500 & Freestyle.  Will miss the manual transmission and ability to pick up a load of stuff without hooking/unhooking but will give it a try.
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2015, 01:51:03 PM »

Discuss!

My newest vehicle is 99 so I don't have that problem...But what about Diesels? They have had direct injection for 110 years...???

Pour that Seafoam into the intake to dissolve deposits... The deposits are composed of what?  And where does the "what" go when the Seafoam washes it away? Right into the rings.......

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Re: (NGC) 2wd vs 4wd pckups
« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2015, 02:33:56 PM »
I wonder if they got too clever by half and will go back to injectors upstream from the valves.

I believe Toyota is already doing that...
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2015, 02:35:52 PM »
My newest vehicle is 99 so I don't have that problem...But what about Diesels? They have had direct injection for 110 years...???

Pour that Seafoam into the intake to dissolve deposits... The deposits are composed of what?  And where does the "what" go when the Seafoam washes it away? Right into the rings.......
Carbon deposits on the intake valves, largely unburnt hydrocarbons that settle on the intake valves when open for the intake air charge.

Not sure why diesels don't seem to have it, compression and efficiency differences?
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2015, 03:43:38 PM »
Carbon deposits on the intake valves, largely unburnt hydrocarbons that settle on the intake valves when open for the intake air charge.

Not sure why diesels don't seem to have it, compression and efficiency differences?

BMW cars used to have or still do have deposit on the valve issues...The mechanics used a sort of soft media blasting to remove the deposits...Intake deposits are also from oil getting past the intake guides, a bit of dirt getting past the air filter.Not directed at Kev......Suppose you took off a head, removed the valves, cleaned off the deposits in Seafoam ... it would leave a mess in the container you had the valves in. Yes ? Then you assemble the head, keeping it all very clean...Before you start the engine just pour in the mess from the container right down the throttle body....Good for the engine? right?  That's what's done when Seafoam is poured down the intake to clean the intake and valves.....

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re:
« Reply #75 on: April 15, 2015, 03:56:37 PM »
FYI BMW, Audi, and VW have been having intake deposit issues on direct injection motors for some time. I believe at least one factory recommends removing the intake manifold and blasting the valves with crushed walnut shells or equivalent media.

Deposits come from the sources mentioned, and PCV oil mist as well.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline bratman2

• Gosling
« Reply #76 on: April 15, 2015, 08:15:14 PM »
Been pouring seafoam down the throat of my 87 Brat for the last 15 of 17 years I have owned it. Done once a year. Not direct injection but it sure burned some crap out the first 2 or 3 times I did it. At 2700 miles on the last oil change and still to the full line on the dipstick with 240k miles.
Glenn Taylor
09 Norge with Staintune and Rexxer reflash
87 Subaru Brat (owned since 97)

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #77 on: April 15, 2015, 09:41:36 PM »
Deposits on the intake valves are due to fuel in the intake.  Heat of valve causes some fuel to 'stick'.

Direct injection bypasses that as there is no fuel in the intake runner.  Not sure on gas engines but on diesels the fuel is not injected until the compression cycle is almost complete.  Intake does not open until most of the burned air mix is almost evacuated.  The valve overlap occurs to allow the incoming mixture to assist in scavenging the old mix out of the chamber.

The problem with direct injection is that you have to use high pressure injectors that can withstand full combustion temps and press.  Port fuel injectors are low pressure.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #78 on: April 16, 2015, 05:37:05 AM »
Been pouring seafoam down the throat of my 87 Brat for the last 15 of 17 years I have owned it. Done once a year. Not direct injection but it sure burned some crap out the first 2 or 3 times I did it. At 2700 miles on the last oil change and still to the full line on the dipstick with 240k miles.

And what would happen if you didn't pour the Seafoam in there on a regular basis?

Offline bratman2

• Gosling
« Reply #79 on: April 16, 2015, 07:27:49 AM »
I had to run premium or either cut the timing way back to prevent spark knock. Timing has been set back to spec and run 87 with no spark knock. According to the Subaru forum the older EA Subaru engines would get carbon build up in the combustion chamber and top of the pistons raising compression.  Many recommended seafoam to clear it out. Worked for me. First several times I did it a blue hued smoke would come out the exhaust for 7-10 miles. Last dozen years has been just a white hued smoke that last maybe 1-2 miles. I still do it annually to prevent carbon build up. See no reason to stop now.  I probably could go every other year or so I guess.
Glenn Taylor
09 Norge with Staintune and Rexxer reflash
87 Subaru Brat (owned since 97)

Offline TBShorty

• New Egg
« Reply #80 on: April 16, 2015, 10:12:46 AM »
Bought my 2000 F150 with 2wd and a trak-lok differential dealer had to special order it.  They couldn't understand my wanting 2wd with trak-lok instead of 4wd.  Beginning every winter it's 5  40lbs. bags of sand fixtured near the tailgate.  This combo has never got stuck snow, sand or mud. 
Seems the majority of 4wd trucks and SUVs on the street today have never been off road and won't be, ever.  If you have a legitimate need for 4wd for job site or farming, towing in slippery stuff, whatever, that's one thing.  Soccer mom in her 6000lbs. Chevy Suburban is quite another thing.

Offline davedude

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #81 on: April 16, 2015, 04:28:58 PM »
Hey, it's your retirement truck! Get the nicest one you can.
I have an F-150 v6 eco-boost with the 4dr cab and 4wd. It also has electronic locking differential, off road pkg, chrome pkg... all kinds of stuff. It does not, however have the fully auto 4wd that some Lariats and Platinums have.
Sometimes I even get permission to drive it! I drive 20 miles to work, where most vehicles are something "my" truck, in an Impreza.
We have property out west around 8000' elev and it comes in handy out there winter and summer. In south La. (on the weekend mind you) I have to go into fields, down 2 track, and slippery boat launches (where I've never spun more than maybe a half a rev). Having lived down here for most of my life, I've been stuck more than often enough in my younger days, and spun my tires most of the way up enough boat ramps to appreciate the 4wd.
Footnote: 2012 Ford ELD (locking diff) can only be engaged while stopped (or maybe under 3 mph), and kicks out at 20mph. It is the cats though and sometimes you just don't know which button to push!
I haven't tried the Subaru in the snow or rough gravel roads at elevation yet, but our last 4wd car worked well out there.
DB
'07 Cal Vintage
'07 Nevada Classic

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here