Author Topic: Flo Oil Filters  (Read 22043 times)

kirby1923

Re: Flo Oil Filters
« Reply #90 on: May 16, 2015, 10:59:46 AM »
As far as the cleaning of wire mesh filters, I and the civilized world used ultrasonic cleaners for that. Pratt& Whitney found that it broke the mesh apart so now specifies an electro sonic cleaner. Who knows how long it took in the ultrasonic to hurt anything but to do it correctly use an electro sonic

Thanks John!

The ultrasound cleaners used by engine manufacturers are double throw me down state of the art costing $$$$$ with VERY caustic cleaning media.

Mine on the other hand is a run of the mill CHEAP one using mineral spirits that is easy on jewelry and cartridge cases fuel injectors etc. Not only that the filters used in turbine engines are more complicated  than the simple ones used on a scooter which are a single sheet(s) with lazer cut holes folded onto a frame work.

Works good and lasts a long time.

AFTER ALL they accomplish almost all the filtering needs of a 50,000,000 $ engine.

:-)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 11:01:05 AM by kirby1923 »

kirby1923

Re: Flo Oil Filters
« Reply #91 on: May 16, 2015, 11:13:55 AM »
And that is my point, so saying your bike has gone X miles with aHi Flo filter means nothing. And I fail to see how having to clean it is convenient. Chuck the old and spin on a new. Nowthat's convenient. 2 hours vs 30 seconds.
Not flaming, not piling on , JMO. You axed, we gave.

It is convenient only because I live in 3 different places in the states and I never have to worry about having a filter. there are many reasons for not using a cleanable filter.

1. You are going to get rid of the machine and the investment is not good for you pocketbook.

2. You don't have a the equipment to clean/service the filter

3. You don't have the desire to spend an extra hour to do it right.

4. You have the bike serviced by a shop or dealer and they won't do it for you.

5. You just don't care.

6. You don't have the ability to service such a device.

7. You don't believe that 30 to 35 micron filtering is good enough but a K&N air filter is OK (which also needs to be cleaned and serviced)

:-)

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here