Author Topic: stuck H pipe on 02 cali  (Read 474 times)

Online s1120

• Gaggle Hero
stuck H pipe on 02 cali
« on: May 27, 2020, 12:54:07 PM »
Any tricks for getting a H pipe off the headers on a 02 EV/stone?  I dont want to run at it with hammers swinging. Any tricks for pulling them apart without causing damage?
Paul B

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
Re: stuck H pipe on 02 cali
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 01:22:33 PM »
Hi Paul, lots of penetrating oil, and tap on it rearward with a soft mallet. Taking the headpipes off sometimes breaks it loose easier. You can twist the headpipes a bit that way to break them loose. Next time you assemble it use some silicone rtv between the pipes. It seals tiny gaps,and makes dis assembly much easier next time. Charlie Mullendore taught me that trick! Thanks Charlie! :thumb:
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Online s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 03:59:05 PM »
Thanks.  I got it. I ran the motor a bit to get them hot, used a screw driver in the slots and widened them a little, then a few taps on the edge of the pipe started it moving!   Ive never heard of using sealer. I normaly use a little antiseeze with I put them together, but I had not had the front connections apart yet.
Paul B

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 04:43:18 PM »
I had previously used copper anti seize, but for the last 3-4 years have used the rtv silicone and it really works out very well. Its easy to clean off the old stuff too,.... a rag soaked with lacquer thinner takes it off and leaves things clean , ready for the next application. Im glad you got it apart without damage!
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 04:43:18 PM »

Online n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 05:01:48 PM »
I had previously used copper anti seize, but for the last 3-4 years have used the rtv silicone and it really works out very well. Its easy to clean off the old stuff too,.... a rag soaked with lacquer thinner takes it off and leaves things clean , ready for the next application. Im glad you got it apart without damage!
Rick.
I've tried High Temp RTV Silicone on exhaust joints as a sealant and it's always cooked out in the first two hundred miles. What are you using that stands header to crossover temps?
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here