Author Topic: My New V7 Stone - Favorite Bike Ever  (Read 19609 times)

bpreynolds

My New V7 Stone - Favorite Bike Ever
« on: August 15, 2015, 08:06:38 AM »
Picked this up yesterday, a 2015 standard Stone.  Craig and the fellas at C and D are always a lock.  I cannot recommend them enough.  Great guys all the way around.  Only the second new Guzzi of the now 6 I have previously owned.  Said goodbye to my '04 Stone.  All the Calis I have owned have been the best of bikes but I think me and the cruisers are finished mostly.  Craig treated me better than I deserved  :thumb:  All the previous V7s I test drove were Specials and they were great, completely gorgeous too, but having said that, this little Stone was and is a very nice surprise.  So light, so flickable in its own way.  What a hoot this little beauty was to drive home.  The green is just eye popping on it.  Keeping it under 5 grand for the break in - or trying to, LOL.  More later.  Too busy riding to type.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 11:38:47 AM by bpreynolds »

oldbike54

Re: My New V7 Stone
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 08:18:35 AM »
 We need more dogs with girls pics  :laugh:

Yeah , that color does it for me also Bipper , congratulations  :bike-037:

Dusty

Offline Travman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 08:28:14 AM »
Beautiful bike. Congratulations. I wish they kept that green for the 2016 V7 II Stones. Your bike will be a little more unique since it is a one year only color option.
Travis King
'70 Ambassadors, 73 Norton, 73 V7 Sport, 12 V7 Racer

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Geese Fly in a Proper V
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 08:32:31 AM »
C&D Motorsports is a great place to buy a bike or get parts.  Craig seems to get me parts for my bikes that others say are no longer available.  Fair prices, above and beyond customer service.  When I buy a new bike, you bet he'll get the sale. 
If you wish to know what a man is, place in him authority.
False accusations reflect more on the accuser than the accused.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
Do or don't do. There is no try.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 08:32:31 AM »

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 08:53:52 AM »
Awesome! Enjoy!!!

And yeah, great color.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

bpreynolds

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 08:57:10 AM »
C&D Motorsports is a great place to buy a bike or get parts.  Craig seems to get me parts for my bikes that others say are no longer available.  Fair prices, above and beyond customer service.  When I buy a new bike, you bet he'll get the sale.

Can't say enough about them.  He suffered all my red suspenderish questions with patience and even spent 45 ridiculous minutes trying to install the makeshift Givi shield I brought with me to put on the Stone for the ride home. 

We need more dogs with girls pics  :laugh:

Yeah , that color does it for me also Bipper , congratulations  :bike-037:

Dusty

Yup.  To heck with all the "Guns and Girls" internet photos.  We need a wives, bikes, and dogs site.   :thumb: Or maybe not.   :boozing:

Offline Joliet Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Justus Esto, Et Non Metue
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 09:16:58 AM »
my wife really liked that color when we were down there. Great people
1975 T160 Triumph Trident "Spot"
2002 Cali Stone "Moby Dick"
1998 Centauro "Psycho Chicken"
2003 Buell Blast "Pegasus"

Offline M0T0Geezer

• Gaggle Mentor
    • The Ones I Rode
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2015, 09:19:15 AM »
What ... no air bag?

Where's the Queen's Throne and FM/Comm system?

How can anything that small be any fun?

Oh, wait...    :thumb:

2007 Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 USA

My 65+ years of motorcycling here:

http://www.dansher.com/mywheels.htm

Wisdom from the road:

http://www.dansher.com/bikequotes.html

Play guitar or keyboard?  You will like:

http://www.dansher.com/audio/pdf_tunes.html

Offline O

• Gosling
  • Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2015, 09:29:16 AM »
Congrats!  That's a good looking bike!
Owen

2014 V7 Special

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2015, 09:52:50 AM »
Congrats!    Great bike in a great color!

You'll definitely love it.   I think I'll always have a V7 in my garage.
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

elvisboy77

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2015, 09:59:18 AM »
I love the color!

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2015, 11:09:32 AM »
damnyoudamnyoudamny oudamnyoudamnyoudam nyoudamnyoudamnyoud amnyoudamnyou

That is exactly the bike I've been thinking of for a second/lighter bike.  Awesome color. You need to get some weathered brown leather saddlebags and a scabbard for a Thompson.
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

bpreynolds

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2015, 11:40:39 AM »
damnyoudamnyoudamnyoudamnyoudamnyoudamnyoudamnyoudamnyoudamnyoudamnyou

That is exactly the bike I've been thinking of for a second/lighter bike.  Awesome color. You need to get some weathered brown leather saddlebags and a scabbard for a Thompson.

:grin:
Jonathan, you know I bought it just to spite you, right?  What's the next motorcycle on your list, I've got some additional room in the garage. 

Offline cwiseman

• Gaggle Mentor
    • C&D Motorsports
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2015, 03:03:04 PM »
Thanks all for the kind words, The Guzzi's are a passion of mine & I do enjoy the customers as much as the bikes. I know we are a new shop but I grew up in my dads auto dealerships & ran his service departments over the years so taking care of business is second nature to me.

Brian hope to ride with you sometime, I love the part of the country while on two wheels.

Craig
Moto Guzzi Robinson/C & D Motorsports
618-544-RIDE
Moto Guzzi dealer in South Eastern Illinois
Personal rides 2007 Calvin, 72 Eldo, V7 Classic, 75 RD350, GasGas Pampera 250 + a few others
2-stroke street bike enthusiast

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2015, 04:56:06 PM »
gorgeous.  I love my V7, same bike in white.  The green really compliments the style of the bike.  its not too hard keeping it around 4000 rpm for break in.  thats about 65mph or so.

goota love the V7

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2015, 05:29:46 PM »
Nice looking bike, and I too love the colour.

The smallblocks sure are fun. :thumb:
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

lucydad

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2015, 06:10:04 PM »
BP,

Agreed...that is the most handsome V7 Stone made.  Love it.  They should have done the Audace in the same shade. 

Ride well!

Offline Red07

• Hatchling
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2015, 07:37:07 PM »
I agree with the others, that color is awsome.  The green really looks good with the black.  Enjoy!!

Randy

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2015, 07:46:57 PM »
Very cool.  But you got to get those stickers off the tank/fender!
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Bonafide Bob

• Gosling
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2015, 07:53:53 PM »
Congrats, great looking bike.
We have freedom of speech, as long as we don't say to much.

bpreynolds

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2015, 09:13:11 PM »
Thanks for all the kind words.  I'm really enjoying it.  And I concur, a lot of really good fun.

Very cool.  But you got to get those stickers off the tank/fender!

:1: I"m working on it.  Getting out the steamer tomorrow.  I've read a number of threads on here and around, but almost everyone who said they tried the steamer was able to get them off in one piece even.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 09:14:29 PM by bpreynolds »

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2015, 09:16:06 PM »
I'm also a fan of that color. A brown leather seat on that bad boy... Ooh! 
Congrats and enjoy being one with the road.
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Dave Bell

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2015, 09:21:31 PM »
Beautiful color and I love my '13. 

Offline Moto Fugazzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waiting on a sign from God, or a nod from hell.
    • Griso
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2015, 09:49:22 PM »
The green almost matches our lawn mowers. I have a 2009 V7C, and the same mower as you...I hope your enjoying both of them.
Ken
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 09:50:51 PM by Moto Fugazzi »
Ken
2004 V11 Cafe Sport
2009 V7C White
2007 Griso Black-Sold
1978 V50 II Blue-Sold

bpreynolds

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2015, 06:49:24 AM »
Checking in here with a brief 400 mile report. 

Bike is proving to be full of nice little surprises.  Tank range is phenomenal.  I don't know how I missed this in earlier reports by Kev M and others but it's seriously ridiculous in a good way.  At around 121 on the odo I stopped to put in some gas, thinking I'd probably see the light in the next 20-30 miles.  Bike only took 2.5 gallons (48mpg) meaning I basically had another 121 or more to go in the tank. 

Fun factor.  Obviously, I'm keeping the bike at least somewhat sedate during break-in but even in just quick run ups to 5 grand around town and such, bike has been and continues to be unexpectedly quick and a big hoot.  Keep in mind this is coming from a guy who just stepped off a 106 horsepower 400lb Street Triple.  This is going to sound like some total bs but I'm not convinced with my limited talents I could ride the Street on the same roads any faster than this little bugger.  It's flickable, very light, and early torque that comes on right off idle whereas it takes a second or two longer to get the Street into the "spot" and by then I'm usually already having to back off. 

The most literally surprising thing I've encountered with the bike is its highway manners.  I got this thing thinking it was gonna be like a Vespa.  It would be cute and, thus, my wife would ride more with me on it - something that is happening.  It would be fast and easy to get out of the garage - completely true.  It would get decent gas mileage and be a super in-town bike  Check.  My test rides some years back on Specials and such had left me with the idea that while they were fine urban assault vehicles, they just seemed a bit busy for my tastes on the big roads.  Well I dunno whether it was those bikes or my riding preferences/tastes that have changed, but I can certainly and honestly say this '15 Stone is smooth as silk at 5 grand and 80-83mph.  At those speeds I have not yet felt the urge to slow down per se nor the slightest bit of intruding buzz.  And here's something else that may sound like bs, but I personally am enjoying the bike more at those speeds than my previous Calis even which shook a good bit more and transmitted more vibration through the bars at 75-80 - though certainly not enough to be termed annoying.  I'm left with the idea that with a different seat and maybe dialing in that pogo suspension a bit more, the bike could really be ridden far and well beyond the city.  And no, I mean it would do this with ease and not just a matter of "hey look at me I'm riding a 750 across the country" kinda thing.  I mean it could really do this in a fine and accomplished way. 

Regardless, many smiles so far. 
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 06:51:40 AM by bpreynolds »

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2015, 07:34:52 AM »
Bike is proving to be full of nice little surprises.  Tank range is phenomenal.  I don't know how I missed this in earlier reports by Kev M and others but it's seriously ridiculous in a good way.  At around 121 on the odo I stopped to put in some gas, thinking I'd probably see the light in the next 20-30 miles.  Bike only took 2.5 gallons (48mpg) meaning I basically had another 121 or more to go in the tank. 

LOL. Yeah, you missed it, probably because of my long-windedness  :boozing: But here was one such discussion

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=68237.0;nowap

And here comes another long-winded post:laugh:

I'll be curious to hear when your low fuel light comes on.

For me, it tends to come on with only about 3.3 gallons used give or take (meaning leaving a theoretical 2.5 gallons left, but maybe a realistic TWO full gallons usable).

So when it comes on I've got anywhere from 50-70+ miles left before I even have to start LOOKING for fuel (and that's leaving myself at LEAST a 40 mile cushion to find it).

On this particular bike I've worked out a metric based on when the low fuel light comes on (which is an indication of the mpg I'm getting on that particular tank). I rounded the numbers a bit to make it easier to remember.

If the light comes on at 150, 160, 170, or 180 miles, I START LOOKING for fuel at 200, 210, 225, or 250 miles respectively.

So

Light on at 150 = ~45 mpg, so I look for fuel at 200, but I SHOULD be good to 240 based on that consumption (still leaving 1/2 gallon in the tank unusable).

Light on at 160 = ~48 mpg, so I look for fuel at 210, but I SHOULD be good to 257 based on that consumption (still leaving 1/2 gallon in the tank unusable).

Light on at 170 = ~52 mpg, so I look for fuel at 225, but I SHOULD be good to 273 based on that consumption (still leaving 1/2 gallon in the tank unusable).

Light on at 180 = ~55 mpg, so I look for fuel at 250, but I SHOULD be good to 289 based on that consumption (still leaving 1/2 gallon in the tank unusable).

I guess I could probably adjust that upward... maybe add another 20 miles to each of the looking for fuel points.

150, 160, 170, 180 means 220, 230, 245, 270

or maybe simplify

150, 160, 170, 180 means 220, 230, 250, 260

But I found it easier to pick more easily remembered start points of 150 and 200 for the number runs.

And considering I try to keep this in my head, along with similar fill/range points for the Sporty (4.5 gallon tank, light at 3.4 around 150 miles, means ~44 mpg, fill by 175ish) and the Ducati (3.96 gallon tank, light at 2.8, around 150 miles, means ~ 54 mpg, refuel by 180ish, but theoretically can go over 200 miles, ESPECIALLY when Jenn is on it cause she's no stranger to nearly 60 mpg on that thing).

I don't try to remember multiple fill points on the Sporty or Duc... though I do have them in notes on my phone for the Duc.

It seems that the Duc and V7 are more sensitive to how they are ridden, as I regularly see 5-10 mpg swings in tank average mileage, but the Sporty varies much less, usually only by couple of mpg. So I only have the one reference point for the Sporty in my head and maybe only one other on my phone.

Well I dunno whether it was those bikes or my riding preferences/tastes that have changed, but I can certainly and honestly say this '15 Stone is smooth as silk at 5 grand and 80-83mph.  At those speeds I have not yet felt the urge to slow down per se nor the slightest bit of intruding buzz.

THIS is really interesting to me.

I'm wondering what the difference is because on my V7 Stone there was a PRONOUNCED feeling of maybe it was low end vibration or something that made me feel like I didn't want to be on the highway at 70 mph even for the first thousand or two thousand miles. That feeling changed by the second service for sure.

Now I have to admit, I also had some seriously crappy old AGV helmets that were not helping the experience, and my new Arai (Defiant FF) and Shark (Heritage 3/4) fit MUCH better and have honestly changed the experience a bit as well. So maybe part of my reluctant feel at first on the V7 wasn't the bike but was ME... but even if that was part of the experience, I'm sure it wasn't all of it. Because even then I rode Jay's V7C back-to-back (swapping off with him that day as he rode the Stone) and even he felt differences. Like the V7C was just a little "looser" and more willing to rev.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 07:36:53 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline MariusD

• New Egg
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2015, 09:37:56 AM »
OP:

Congrats on the new scoot! Glad to see you're loving this bike.

I wonder how tall you are and how much do you weight. A lot of people complain about suspension, but you don't seem to have any issues. So I'm curious.

bpreynolds

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2015, 10:07:37 AM »
OP:

Congrats on the new scoot! Glad to see you're loving this bike.

I wonder how tall you are and how much do you weight. A lot of people complain about suspension, but you don't seem to have any issues. So I'm curious.

I weigh 145 wet, 5'9, inseam a bit longer than would be expected at 32".  Haven't yet felt cramped but I will likely lower pegs or get a 2nd seat and modify it.

LOL. Yeah, you missed it, probably because of my long-windedness  :boozing: But here was one such discussion

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=68237.0;nowap

And here comes another long-winded post:laugh:

I'll be curious to hear when your low fuel light comes on.

For me, it tends to come on with only about 3.3 gallons used give or take (meaning leaving a theoretical 2.5 gallons left, but maybe a realistic TWO full gallons usable).

So when it comes on I've got anywhere from 50-70+ miles left before I even have to start LOOKING for fuel (and that's leaving myself at LEAST a 40 mile cushion to find it).

On this particular bike I've worked out a metric based on when the low fuel light comes on (which is an indication of the mpg I'm getting on that particular tank). I rounded the numbers a bit to make it easier to remember.

If the light comes on at 150, 160, 170, or 180 miles, I START LOOKING for fuel at 200, 210, 225, or 250 miles respectively.

So

Light on at 150 = ~45 mpg, so I look for fuel at 200, but I SHOULD be good to 240 based on that consumption (still leaving 1/2 gallon in the tank unusable).

Light on at 160 = ~48 mpg, so I look for fuel at 210, but I SHOULD be good to 257 based on that consumption (still leaving 1/2 gallon in the tank unusable).

Light on at 170 = ~52 mpg, so I look for fuel at 225, but I SHOULD be good to 273 based on that consumption (still leaving 1/2 gallon in the tank unusable).

Light on at 180 = ~55 mpg, so I look for fuel at 250, but I SHOULD be good to 289 based on that consumption (still leaving 1/2 gallon in the tank unusable).

I guess I could probably adjust that upward... maybe add another 20 miles to each of the looking for fuel points.

150, 160, 170, 180 means 220, 230, 245, 270

or maybe simplify

150, 160, 170, 180 means 220, 230, 250, 260

But I found it easier to pick more easily remembered start points of 150 and 200 for the number runs.

And considering I try to keep this in my head, along with similar fill/range points for the Sporty (4.5 gallon tank, light at 3.4 around 150 miles, means ~44 mpg, fill by 175ish) and the Ducati (3.96 gallon tank, light at 2.8, around 150 miles, means ~ 54 mpg, refuel by 180ish, but theoretically can go over 200 miles, ESPECIALLY when Jenn is on it cause she's no stranger to nearly 60 mpg on that thing).

I don't try to remember multiple fill points on the Sporty or Duc... though I do have them in notes on my phone for the Duc.

It seems that the Duc and V7 are more sensitive to how they are ridden, as I regularly see 5-10 mpg swings in tank average mileage, but the Sporty varies much less, usually only by couple of mpg. So I only have the one reference point for the Sporty in my head and maybe only one other on my phone.

THIS is really interesting to me.

I'm wondering what the difference is because on my V7 Stone there was a PRONOUNCED feeling of maybe it was low end vibration or something that made me feel like I didn't want to be on the highway at 70 mph even for the first thousand or two thousand miles. That feeling changed by the second service for sure.

Now I have to admit, I also had some seriously crappy old AGV helmets that were not helping the experience, and my new Arai (Defiant FF) and Shark (Heritage 3/4) fit MUCH better and have honestly changed the experience a bit as well. So maybe part of my reluctant feel at first on the V7 wasn't the bike but was ME... but even if that was part of the experience, I'm sure it wasn't all of it. Because even then I rode Jay's V7C back-to-back (swapping off with him that day as he rode the Stone) and even he felt differences. Like the V7C was just a little "looser" and more willing to rev.

Several things.  First, that is some great and fabulous info.  Thanks for posting.  So far, the range and mpg numbers have been really pleasing.  I just always assumed I'd have to buy a KLR or a big ADV or touring bike to get that kind of range.  Just fantastic.

As per the mpg numbers being more sensitive on your Duc and V7, I dunno but I would add that I've experienced this very same thing with all smaller bore bikes I've owned.  The couple of Vespa 150s I owned previously could get as high as 70 if ridden conservatively or as low as 50 if riding them the way I did - full throttle on the daily highway commute.  Same thing with the smaller vintage bikes I've had but that's likely compounded somewhat by them being carbed.  But my large bikes - especially my Calis and even the Stelvio - would get almost the same mpg even being driven aggressively.

I too find the highway engine manners and my previous experience with the demo bikes as interesting.  I mean I only rode one a year and a half ago so the memory is modestly fresh, and I rode two others prior to that even.  I left all of those rides happy to be getting back on my then Jackal and thinking how it felt like I was flogging the bike in pushing it to do 75.  This Stone has been nothing remotely like that.  My first ride on the bike was a 170 mile trip back home where I drove 70-80 most of the way.  The only things that remotely bothered me on that trip was legroom, windblast, and stiff suspension - all of which can be adjusted.  But the engine?  Not even a complaint.  What's funny too is that the bike probably tops out at 105 or so; thus, it's surprising to me the bike is so seemingly at ease being that relatively close to its top end. 

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2015, 07:36:17 PM »
You've hit the nail on the head. Congratulations, and

I'm left with the idea that .......... the bike could really be ridden far and well beyond the city.  .........  I mean it could really do this in a fine and accomplished way. 

A big reason why we love it so. I can see some long trips in your future; you are up for so much fun!

Mal
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

stonelover86

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2015, 03:31:00 AM »
Oh, man! Mine is the exact same color! Let me tell you, you're gonna love it. Excellent choice.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here