Author Topic: Where the Hell is the V7 II Centre Stand?  (Read 19951 times)

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Where the Hell is the V7 II Centre Stand?
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2016, 05:24:36 AM »
Thanks, another good lead. Still want the MG stand, if and when MG offers one, and I have maybe three months for that to happen.

i think you'll find that the Stucchi stand IS the OEM stand.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Lank

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2016, 07:47:43 AM »
Yup Jeff Olson, the Norge is a bike with a dangerous center stand, sticks out a whole bunch and will lever that bike to the ground if you are not on the level...but its real nice when you need it

Offline stevet

• Gaggle Hero
  • What would Mr. Happy Puppet do?
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2016, 08:57:51 AM »
i think you'll find that the Stucchi stand IS the OEM stand.

Is this a known fact?

My 2016 V7II Stone does not come with passenger grab rails.  What will I be pulling up on as I'm rocking the center stand down, the plastic fender?  Am I going to need to purchase grab rails, too?

Steve.
Steve T.
Twin Cities, MN
Sophia, '16 Moto Guzzi V7 II Stone
Feejer, '10 Yamaha FJR
"Il Viaggiatore", The Traveler. A.K.A. Via. 2017 FIAT 124 Spider Classica

"What we do during our working hours determines what we have; what we do during our leisure hours determines what we are."
-George Eastman.

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2016, 10:26:58 AM »
Am I going to need to purchase grab rails, too?

Or a luggage rack.

MG stopped supplying the V7 stone with the grab rails in 2015, but, the Special still gets them.

You are more than likely to find another WG member who has installed a luggage rack, and would be willing to sell you their grab rails.
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2016, 10:26:58 AM »

Offline rss29

• Hatchling
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2016, 11:05:01 AM »
Is this a known fact?

My 2016 V7II Stone does not come with passenger grab rails.  What will I be pulling up on as I'm rocking the center stand down, the plastic fender?  Am I going to need to purchase grab rails, too?

Steve.
No need for grab bars. My 2013 came with them but I took them off because I didn't like the look. It's easy to get the bike on the center stand by grabbing the top of the rear shock. It's a light bike and most of the lifting is done with your foot.

rob-mg

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2016, 10:05:00 PM »
This past Wednesday, I went to the new Piaggio New York flagship store and asked when the center stand and engine guard will be available.

The store confirmed that the existing parts will not work with the V7II, spoke to the US head office, which is also in New York (indeed, as I understand it, the owner of the store) and undertook to get back to me.

As of today, I haven't heard anything. I will call the store again on Tuesday when it reopens.

As the owner of a V7II, I think that I am entitled to know whether Moto Guzzi is going to offer a centre stand and engine guard, and if so when. I also think that Piaggio's self-proclaimed US flagship store is the obvious place to get the answer.

We'll see.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 10:08:10 PM by rob-mg »

Offline rss29

• Hatchling
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2016, 07:34:57 AM »
Looks like both Agostini and HB have crash bars for the new V7II, per the AF1 site. If I were fitting some, I'd go with the Agostini in black. They look better than the MG ones from the older model of bike. It's not like MG is manufacturing this stuff themselves anyway, so these aftermarket offerings will fit and perform just as well as the 'genuine' versions. MG is almost certainly sourcing their stands and bars from one of these Italian aftermarket suppliers.

Offline Stevex

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2016, 09:46:12 AM »
I always remove the suicidal side stand off my Tonti framed bikes. Just to remove any chance of using it and regretting it later.

Same here.
My Honda CB1300S (2009) came without a centre stand, although previous models had one fitted; I ended up buying one off ebay.
One other thing to think about...have you ever seen how some bikes sit on their side stands with a flat? It makes them sit a lot more upright, with the possibility of going over on their right side.

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2016, 09:54:34 AM »
....As the owner of a V7II, I think that I am entitled to know ....

Good luck, you're likely to be disappointed.  I'd also like MG to do a few things, like produce an updated parts manual for the V7II Stone (the last one, April 2015, doesn't show most parts for the crankcase ventilation system and is missing a few other things), an updated workshop manual (incorrect ECU wiring shown for the 1TB V7/V7II series, corrected torque specs that have been incorrect and incomplete for at least 6 years), etc.  Probably ain't gonna happen in my lifetime.  This is why WG is so valuable.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

rob-mg

« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2016, 08:45:02 PM »
... torque specs that have been incorrect and incomplete for at least 6 years...

Interesting, which ones?

Offline swordds

• Hatchling
  • (504)234-9011
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2016, 09:25:00 PM »
When I lift my V7II Stone on to its center stand I lift up on the passenger foot peg brace, it makes a decent lifting handle.
2016 V7II Stone
2016 Suzuki TU250X (lost in the great flood of ought 16)

In the future I will strive to tolerate everything except intolerance and to hate nothing except hatred.

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2016, 08:55:35 AM »
Interesting, which ones?
Two that come to mind:

The tightening torque for the lower head column nuts is given in the manual as 25 Nm, but this is only the pre-tightening value; the final value should be 42 Nm.

The larger (front) engine oil drain plug torque is given as 25 Nm in the blow-up illustration but 12 Nm in the instructions.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

rob-mg

« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2016, 07:28:26 PM »
Good luck, you're likely to be disappointed.

You called it right.

Having visited Piaggio's New York flagship store last week, having asked during that visit whether and when Piaggio would make a centre stand and engine guard available for the V7 II, having been told by store staff that the store would get me an answer, and having not had the courtesy of an answer a week later, I called the store today.

I was told two things.

First, Piaggio does indeed own and control the "flagship store".

Secondly, Piaggio refused to tell its own store whether, let alone when, it will offer a V7 II centre stand or engine guard.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 07:47:58 PM by rob-mg »

rob-mg

« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2016, 07:59:14 PM »
Does anyone know whether Stucchi's online prices are VAT included or excluded?

They want Euros 195 for a V7 II centre stand, plus Euros 35 postage, but they don't say whether this is the export price. If VAT inclusive, it makes a difference of about Euros 40.

It's this stand: http://lgccompany.it/en/home-page/9216-central-stand-for-v7-ii.html

Also, has anyone installed it? Easy? Complications?

Cheers
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 08:05:52 PM by rob-mg »

rob-mg

« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2016, 06:03:51 PM »
I bought it for US$185 delivered.  Maybe the exchange rates were good.

It is not on the bike.  I have some work ahead of me to make it work.  Installation is painfully simple and it is well designed.  However, the lever used to deploy the stand hits the bottom of the muffler when the stand is in the stowed position.  Since it rests on some rubber buttons, it should be easy enough to put washers under the buttons to fix the problem.  The other problem is shared with the H&B stand.  The bike doesn't go over center on the stand far enough to make it stable.  If you bump it, the bike will come off the stand.  The fix for this is pretty simple as well.  All I have to do is grind down a couple metal tabs an eighth inch or so and it will be fine.

This is a picture of the stand next to the frame member that is removed for installation.  There is one long bolt that goes through the center.

The center stand weighs 7.6 lbs.

I'll get it modified and installed in the next couple of weeks.  BTW, it's much easier to install if you remove the left muffler.

Thanks very much.

I'd love to see an update once you've installed it.

Can't say I'm wildly impressed with the fact that a company based in Mandello del Lario wants Euro 195, plus Euro 35 postage, for a centre stand that requires modification to work on the bike for which the company says it is designed.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 06:05:40 PM by rob-mg »

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2016, 06:14:53 PM »
You don't pay VAT if it's being shipped to the States.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

rob-mg

« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2016, 07:10:56 PM »
You don't pay VAT if it's being shipped to the States.

I know. Stucchi doesn't say on its web site whether its prices are VAT excluded or included, and if one takes an order to checkout, no distinction is made.

What this means is that it's necessary to telephone them in Italy to find out and, if their online pricing is VAT inclusive, to make the order over the phone.

So let's figure that their price of Euro 195 is VAT inclusive with VAT at about 21%. One winds up at about Euro 154 (makes sense in terms of an earlier post) plus about Euro 35 for postage, for a part made in Mandello del Lario that has to be modified to work.

This is a joke, right?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 07:13:25 PM by rob-mg »

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2016, 07:21:52 PM »
I know. Stucchi doesn't say on its web site whether its prices are VAT excluded or included, and if one takes an order to checkout, no distinction is made.

What this means is that it's necessary to telephone them in Italy to find out and, if their online pricing is VAT inclusive, to make the order over the phone.

So let's figure that their price of Euro 195 is VAT inclusive with VAT at about 21%. One winds up at about Euro 154 (makes sense in terms of an earlier post) plus about Euro 35 for postage, for a part made in Mandello del Lario that has to be modified to work.

This is a joke, right?

Try and take it to "checkout" where they ask for shipping destination.  When you plug in a US address, it may reduce any built in VAT.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

rob-mg

« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2016, 07:28:38 PM »
Try and take it to "checkout" where they ask for shipping destination.  When you plug in a US address, it may reduce any built in VAT.

I did. It doesn't change the price. Which means that if the price is VAT included (which I suspect it is, despite the fact that legitimate European vendors are clear about this on-line), non-Europeans who just pay Stucchi's on-line price, without understanding this, are getting screwed to the tune of about 21%.

If Stucchi adjusts it after your credit card is debited (which is a costly way for them to handle this), there is no statement that that is what Stucchi will do.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 07:31:56 PM by rob-mg »

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2016, 07:36:57 PM »
I did. It doesn't change the price. Which means that if the price is VAT included (which I suspect it is, despite the fact that legitimate European vendors are clear about this on-line), non-Europeans who just pay Stucchi's on-line price, without understanding this, are getting screwed to the tune of about 21%.

If Stucchi adjusts it after your credit card is debited (which is a costly way for them to handle this), there is no statement that that is what Stucchi will do.

I bought a rear rack from them a couple years ago.  Seem to recall they were responsive to an email question I had.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

rob-mg

« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2016, 07:50:31 PM »
I bought a rear rack from them a couple years ago.  Seem to recall they were responsive to an email question I had.

Which doesn't change the fact that a non-European who orders a centre stand from Stucchi on-line is probably overpaying by 21% and is buying a product, despite the fact that this company is headquartered in the same small town as Moto Guzzi, that apparently won't work without modification.

Here's how ridiculous this is. Piaggio, which makes Vespa and Piaggio scooters, and has historically produced centre stands for Moto Guzzi V7s, knows how to make one that works.

Why is it suddenly a problem, and why is this Stucchi company apparently incapable of producing a centre stand, despite a rather high price, that works as well as a Piaggio stand?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 08:00:54 PM by rob-mg »

rob-mg

« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2016, 08:43:01 PM »
Did you guys miss this?  US$185 delivered to Long Beach, CA.  No VAT.  I just used the online checkout process and VAT was removed.

I tried it and VAT wasn't removed. So I could try it again, or phone them, but it isn't obvious why I'd pay that for a centre stand, allegedly made specifically for the V7 II, that you say has to be modified to work. I really have trouble understanding that.

I own a $3,000 Piaggio scooter, which came with a centre stand that works perfectly. It's just ridiculous that Piaggio can't make available a centre stand for the V7 II, and equally ridiculous that Stuuchi wants a bunch of money for one that doesn't fit properly.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 08:51:02 PM by rob-mg »

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2016, 08:48:45 PM »
You know what, just buy a Condor front wheel chock that will stand it upright.  I'm out.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

rob-mg

« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2016, 08:58:45 PM »
You know what, just buy a Condor front wheel chock that will stand it upright.  I'm out.

Ahh, not only not the same thing as a centre stand, but useless if the latter is what one wants.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here