Author Topic: Installing Dyna III on Cal II ...Coils to use?  (Read 3154 times)

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
Installing Dyna III on Cal II ...Coils to use?
« on: March 23, 2016, 03:57:55 PM »
Hi Folks I picked up a Dyna III ignition for my 84 Cal II that I plan to install this weekend. My bike currently has the stock/original aluminum case coils. Can I keep using these coils with the new ignition, or should I change coils? recommendations? The bike runs perfect with the dual point setup, the only reason I am going with the Dyna is to eliminate points maintenance, and messing with the timing with the dual pointer.
Thanks
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Installing Dyna III on Cal II ...Coils to use?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 04:10:06 PM »
Hi Folks I picked up a Dyna III ignition for my 84 Cal II that I plan to install this weekend. My bike currently has the stock/original aluminum case coils. Can I keep using these coils with the new ignition, or should I change coils? recommendations? The bike runs perfect with the dual point setup, the only reason I am going with the Dyna is to eliminate points maintenance, and messing with the timing with the dual pointer.
Thanks
Rick.

That sound you heard was 50 pairs of suspenders snapping simultaneously. :) There are guys that swear by Dyna and guys that swear at them. I have the Dyna S with Dyna coils on the Aero Lario, and it works perfectly. That's a different system, though. If it were me, I'd probably just leave well enough alone.
Now that I'm sitting in front of a keyboard, I can add a little more. I'm pretty sure C5 (posts here) has a stand alone setup for the big blocks that might even offer a performance improvement.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 04:21:19 PM »
I just did a Dyna 3 on a Cal 2 yesterday. Stock coils work fine. The power lead went right on the back coil, extra spade on the power side of it. Don't forget to oil dry clean the distributor body where the plate mounts, also the rotor for set screw. I mounted the black box on the horizontal frame under front of tank, back far enough so red power lead reaches the coil power from kill switch.  My Cal 2 has the Green Dyna coils on it cause I had a bad one 10 yrs ago.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 12:17:07 AM »
Ran the stock coils on the 84 Cal II with Dyna for a couple of decades. Not a problem, they are good stuff.
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 12:17:07 AM »

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 03:39:24 AM »
For some reason I had to use the Dyna coils with the Dyna 111. Make sure the coils can get air. This set up worked on one Cal for 100k+ and another for 145K+. I got my info from Ace Malott, one of the premier Guzzi Gurus in the midwest on the Cal.

Enjoy,
Te

Online Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 04:47:45 AM »
Stock coils should be fine

In general stick to a coil resistance of 4-6 Ohms and avoid 3 Ohms and below. The 3 Ohm type charge quicker but this isn't a requirement on a Guzzi.

They also draw more current, so they place more stress on the whole LV side of the ignition circuit, ergo they should be avoided.

Pretty sure there was something from Dyna about this a while back

John

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 05:24:21 AM »
 The original looking coils on my Cali 2 measured 3.2 ohms.....Not to say all stock coils are the same.

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2016, 05:58:45 AM »
When I put a Dyna on my LeMans 20years ago they were recommending their green 3 ohm coils. A few years later The dyna failed. They started saying use 5 ohm coils on a street bike and 3 ohm for racing. I ended up putting a 1 ohm 10 watt resistor in series with each coil and no failures since. If your stock coils are 4 ohms or more you should be fine.

Pete

Offline Don Ivey

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2016, 06:55:24 AM »
I've used Bosch "Blue" coils in my older Guzzis for years without any problems, though I don't know the ohms rating.  Bigger than stock, but good price, and strong.
Don Ivey
'83 1000SP
'88 KLR650
'87 Carrera

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2016, 07:28:21 AM »
I had the green Dyna coils on mine until one failed (not due to Dyna engineering, it was a mounting issue).  I intended to go with Bosch Blue, but, availability was a problem (I needed the coils NOW  :)  ).  So, I found the equivalent of the Bosch, the coils for a late 60's VW Beetle/BMW at NAPA.  The bonus is I can get a replacement just about anywhere.

FWIW, when the coil failed it blew the Dyna circuit as well.  The good part is Matt Forslund (NM MGNOC rep and local 'dealer') had some used ones in his bin.  I now have a spare Dyna module as well as a set of points for the bike, just in case.

I like the convenience of the Dyna as well and am glad it was on the bike when I got it.  I probably would not buy it if I had points.  I'd rather go the full electronic ignition upgrade.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline MikeW

• New Egg
    • Mike's Machines
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2016, 01:35:33 AM »
I put a Dyna system on my LeMans 5 and it's been fab so far.

The bike holds timing between services now. I did have to replace the original coils though. I know some of the literature says 3 ohm coils are ok but I found out otherwise with the first pair I bought. I'm now running 5 ohm coils.

Mike
Mike's Machines on You Tube
Motorcycle News & Reviews
Motorcycle Service Videos

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2016, 02:58:21 PM »
Thanks guys, for the info, and tips. I already have a dyna III on my Lemans, and like it so far. I am looking forward to having the same convenience on the Cal II. I will probably carry the points plate , "just in case" if I go on a trip, for peace of mind.
Rick.

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2016, 04:34:41 PM »
In 35K miles I have had to replace 3 green 3 ohm dyna coils and one box. So that Dyna is crap to me. Essentially I have had almost as much trouble with Dyna as I have with Motoplat.
Triple Jim lives close by and I gave him my original Motoplat dizzy and  he has been working on making a CDI unit for Tonti's. At least I think that is what he is doing. I know he builds CDI units for Kaw triples and does a good business. He also has a CDI unit on his Mille with blue bosch coils. (5 ohm I believe) and points.
I believe he is bench testing a new CDI unit for Tonti Guzzi's and is very satisfied with the results so far.

Maybe he will read my post and tell the group what he is doing. I know he deliberately holds back on posting on WG about his work with Guzzi's because he doesn't want it to look like he is using his membership as a tool to sell his products. So I am bumping him. Hope he doesn't get mad at me for bringing this up.
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2016, 04:44:18 PM »
In 35K miles I have had to replace 3 green 3 ohm dyna coils and one box. So that Dyna is crap to me. Essentially I have had almost as much trouble with Dyna as I have with Motoplat.
Triple Jim lives close by and I gave him my original Motoplat dizzy and  he has been working on making a CDI unit for Tonti's. At least I think that is what he is doing. I know he builds CDI units for Kaw triples and does a good business. He also has a CDI unit on his Mille with blue bosch coils. (5 ohm I believe) and points.
I believe he is bench testing a new CDI unit for Tonti Guzzi's and is very satisfied with the results so far.

Maybe he will read my post and tell the group what he is doing. I know he deliberately holds back on posting on WG about his work with Guzzi's because he doesn't want it to look like he is using his membership as a tool to sell his products. So I am bumping him. Hope he doesn't get mad at me for bringing this up.
Man, RedRider, that failure  rate  in 35K miles is unacceptable to me. I hope it was just bad  ju ju or something weird. Ive read that if the dyna doesnt fail rather quickly, you are pretty much good to go, Ive also heard that the later units have improved over earlier units. I hope so....
Rick.

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2016, 04:56:37 PM »
Man, RedRider, that failure  rate  in 35K miles is unacceptable to me. I hope it was just bad  ju ju or something weird. Ive read that if the dyna doesnt fail rather quickly, you are pretty much good to go, Ive also heard that the later units have improved over earlier units. I hope so....
Rick.

Yup I'll say it is a bad failure rate. I first installed it in 94  or 95.  At one time I had a bad coil and bad box at the same time.  I had to let it cool down to get home. I was 10 miles from home and it took me an hour to get home. The only good thing about it is Dyna will replace the parts at cost if you send it to them to bench test.
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2016, 05:18:10 PM »
I've bought 4 Dyna ignitions over the years, 2 Guzzis and 2 GS Suzukis. That's going back to 1988. I've not had one fail.
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2016, 11:52:55 PM »
1 of the things you HAVE to do is make sure your Dyna parts & coils get sufficient air to cool.  I bought my CX100 w/Guzzi coils & Dyna installed 30 years ago and it all still works.  :thumb:

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here