Author Topic: Zippo Hand Warmer  (Read 3510 times)

Offline Rallo

• New Egg
Zippo Hand Warmer
« on: March 25, 2016, 09:13:25 AM »
Any body use one of these in an inside jacket pocket on those cooler days?  Supposedly they maintain about 100 degrees for 12 hours; that just might keep the chill off.

Rallo

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Zippo Hand Warmer
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 09:18:37 AM »
If you are talking about the traditional one that uses lighter fluid would it get enough oxygen to burn inside a jacket?
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

redrider

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 09:26:49 AM »
So, you want a self contained flame device in your pocket? Not to mention that your clothing will smell only slightly better than a home with a kerosene heater. They are hand warmers.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 09:48:39 AM »
My dad had one when he was in the National Guard.  I never saw it working.  Brought back a memory.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 09:48:39 AM »

Offline Markcarovilli

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 09:51:33 AM »
Had one as a kid and they work great but would be a bit stinky...

They have electric rechargable ones that may work better and work as a phone backup power source as well.

Mark

Offline Rallo

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 09:52:50 AM »
So, you want a self contained flame device in your pocket? Not to mention that your clothing will smell only slightly better than a home with a kerosene heater. They are hand warmers.

Just asking if anyone has used them.

If you are talking about the traditional one that uses lighter fluid would it get enough oxygen to burn inside a jacket?
GliderJohn

My understanding is that there is a catalytic burner unit that requires little oxygen.  After it's lit the warmer is placed in, what looks to be, a felt pouch.

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 10:10:13 AM »
Used one on the paper route way back when. It worked and you save on zippo scented after shave.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 10:14:22 AM »
I had/have one. It is more like a catalytic reaction, not an open flame. As you note, it is placed in a cloth bag to operate from. I don't recall there being much odor from it. I also was never impressed with it.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2016, 11:59:18 AM »
electric jacket liner is a better way

Offline Mark West

• Gaggle Hero
  • Get Lost.... it's good for you!
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2016, 12:04:11 PM »
I have one in a box somewhere. Used it for skiing and other outdoor stuff in Wisconsin many years ago. As I recall it was a bit difficult to get going but once it did, it went a long time.

Can't see how it would be much use for motorcycling.
Mark West
Hollister, CA
MGNOC L-752

Frulk

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2016, 12:17:52 PM »
Rallo, I've used them for years during ice fishing and when winter camping at temps below Zero in North Dakota. Not familiar with the Zippo brand but pretty sure they work like the Little Johnny models. They're kinda a pain to fill up and get going correctly but once you master that they function flawlessly and crank out heat like a micro furnace. 

Walls brand clothing (equivalent to CarHartt and still in business) used to have two small pockets on the inside of their cold weather gear just for these heaters. One around each kidney. Worked like a charm. There's a hint of a chemical smell while they're running but it never bothered me. I still have 3 of them, 2 large and one small version in in the red bags. Used them last year while sleeping in a Cabelas tent cot at a reservoir in Idaho late in the year. 

Offline Chet Rugg

• Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Chet & Rusty ( 99 Bassa )
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2016, 07:39:55 PM »
I have one. never lit it. But  think I may try that inside the sleeping bag with me??? Could it smell worst than my sleeping bag is already?
Old man creepin up on me ya know. :weiner:
Chet Rugg
99 Bassa
01 Cali Special

100,000 miles

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2016, 12:04:48 PM »
I can't speak to the "Zippo" version but used a lotta-few "Jon-E" warmers back in the day.

Couple of bullet memories that I recall, though not all mine directly: :boozing:

More than one "pocket fire" from leaking fuel. Put this down more to operator error but the effect doesn't care about the blame trail.
More an augmenter than an out right warmer.
Uses (coincidentally?) the same space as a responsible-volume pocket flask and its merits - the warmer's - by comparison were debatable.
Sometimes - and here relates directly to the OP - the warmth would grow too great in a lagging awareness fashion. Noting this while operating a motorcycle could be... problematic.

In the end, for me, they work best as a warm thing to grab while working with gloves off rather than a temperature maintenance device. Think of an exceptionally gratifying blowing on cold hands. Much more effective than one's breath. OK, I've seen some of you guys and will warrant that there is probably some very aggressive breath around these parts compared to what I might draw up on my own. :evil:

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2016, 03:10:55 PM »
I use the little chemical packets.  Hot hands or something like that.  They last for at least 6hrs.  When really cold (low 20's) I put 4 of them in the bottom of the sleeping bag.  I've also put them inside my gloves on the back of my hands.  Get them at Costco or Walmart in boxes of 50 pair (or was it 100 pair?).
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here