Author Topic: Odd 4 spd clutch loop issue  (Read 906 times)

Offline ratguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
    • road kill
Odd 4 spd clutch loop issue
« on: July 08, 2016, 09:14:47 AM »
My loop project has about 1200 miles on it since I put it on the road. 98 EV motor tied to a 4 spd. All new cables, etc.
Been working perfectly. Last night, within a few stop lights, the clutch won't disengage and a ton of play in the clutch cable. I make it home with no clutch disengagement.
This morning, I measure the cable, identical to the brand new spare so the cable hasn't frayed or stretched. The clutch adjuster on the battery tray is exactly where it has been. The clutch lever adjuster in the exact same place. The adjuster on the transmission is firmly in place and the lock nut secure.
I then loosened the lock nut and adjusted the screw almost all the way in so there is full threads just flush with the lock nut. Basically adjusted it in about 6-8mm.
Now the clutch works perfectly, a few trips around my town and no new play or anything.
Did I not have the cup fully in place in the clutch assembly from when first putting it together and it finally popped into place? If the rod bent, I think it would be hanging up.
Any ideas?
JB
John Boettcher
Wonder Lake, IL

"I'll quit riding when they pry the handgrips out of my cold dead fingers"

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
Re: Odd 4 spd clutch loop issue
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 09:35:21 AM »
Yeah, I think either the cup was not seated or I've had the pushrod not go in the hole in the cup, sometimes they are real ignorant about it too.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 12:14:22 PM »
If it reoccurs the friction material has come adrift. Hopefully it was just the cup.

Offline ratguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
    • road kill
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 12:19:44 PM »
If it reoccurs the friction material has come adrift. Hopefully it was just the cup.
That would make sense. I may pull the starter later and have a look/see. There is nothing in the small drain hole but pulling the starter would be better.
JB
John Boettcher
Wonder Lake, IL

"I'll quit riding when they pry the handgrips out of my cold dead fingers"

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 12:19:44 PM »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here