Author Topic: Winter is Coming  (Read 6892 times)

Offline Jake

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Winter is Coming
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2016, 12:40:15 PM »
I could have it wait a bit - more wood to get in, want to make room in the barn for the T this year...it's always something, no?
Granville, Ohio
1975 850-T
1977 R750/7

Offline slowmover

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Locked in the arms of a crazy life
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2016, 02:03:30 PM »
I prefer winter. I feel better,have more energy ,breathe and sleep better.Food and wine seem to taste better.The air is crisp.There's nothing good about summer around here for me.The heat, humidity,bugs,mold and pollen wear me out.Plus there is generally more riff-raff ,noise and bad behavior in the higher temps.

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2016, 02:44:57 PM »
Down below on the backside of the planet we are heading in to summer. Bike is now registered; still needs a bit more maintenance done. Guzzi rally may have to be missed this year. Still trying to catch up after having 6 weeks out of the country. Weather is warming up. :thumb:
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Jim Rich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2016, 07:36:47 PM »
Good luck to N.C. dodging the storm.  I hate those things, had our share here on the Gulf Coast. 

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2016, 07:36:47 PM »

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2016, 06:07:10 AM »
Haiti in the line of fire.  Thoughts for those at risk.
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2016, 06:18:41 AM »
Fighting off getting too accustomed to the gentle climate here - riding a couple hundred miles yesterday in the beautiful crisp 55F mountain air I turned on the danged heated grips and changed to heavier gloves.  NEVER would have done that living in interior New England two years ago!
'04 Ducati ST4sABS

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2016, 07:46:31 AM »
I quit riding when they start salting the roads. Unless I have a rat bike , that stuff is so corrosive and people are too ignorant to get a set of dedicated winter wheels and tires. They want the roads salted and sanded and don't take responsibility for their own driving when it gets slippery. Ten year old cars are usually junk due to corrosion.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2016, 09:53:45 AM »
I quit riding when they start salting the roads. Unless I have a rat bike , that stuff is so corrosive and people are too ignorant to get a set of dedicated winter wheels and tires. They want the roads salted and sanded and don't take responsibility for their own driving when it gets slippery. Ten year old cars are usually junk due to corrosion.
Agreed regarding salt.  Ten year old cars up north were junk.  Down here, there are some real classics without rot. Beautiful thing.
'04 Ducati ST4sABS

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2016, 11:51:32 AM »
Nic, is that western north carolina or northern california ?   :wink:
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2016, 01:15:07 PM »
 Yeh it sure is comming.  Up here in the north of this island it never got to eighty the blast few days.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2016, 03:41:08 PM »

Remember this stuff?  Back in the day, when I lived in upstate NY (who also salts the sh*t out of the roads  :rolleyes: :shocked:), we had our cars injected the door and body panels of our vehicles with this black oozy stuff called Ziebart - which was a sound dampener AND a rust inhibitor.  Never kept a car long enough to find out...but I always remember my '76 Camaro did ride better...and felt heavier! (LOL) :cool:

Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Mark Harpell

• New Egg
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2016, 06:34:53 PM »
Gotta admit..the goose sure loves the cold dry air...runs soooo nice.....
Me..not so much....not much use for winter anymore......
Mark

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2016, 06:42:57 PM »
Yeah yeah , we know you Cal-ee four-nians think that nothing worthwhile ever happens except there

Au contraire, I was just trying to find out if he was in New Caledonia or some such place.

I'm well aware that outside of the Golden State there's plenty of fun and rewarding activities taking place - as examples, armadillo bowling comes to mind immediately, and competitive amateur snow tracking can be a lot of fun.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 06:43:57 PM by normzone »
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2016, 06:43:58 PM »
Remember this stuff?  Back in the day, when I lived in upstate NY (who also salts the sh*t out of the roads  :rolleyes: :shocked:), we had our cars injected the door and body panels of our vehicles with this black oozy stuff called Ziebart - which was a sound dampener AND a rust inhibitor.  Never kept a car long enough to find out...but I always remember my '76 Camaro did ride better...and felt heavier! (LOL) :cool:

I worked at a Ziebart franchise for about three months when I was in university. The stuff worked if applied properly to a new or nearly new car, and Ziebart was the only company that actually bought a car in each new body design to take apart and figure out where to drill and spray to protect the inside of the panels.

However, it should be noted that I smelled like petroleum tar throughout that time, and for about another three months after I quit. The stuff couldn't be removed, it just had to wear off...
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2016, 07:05:53 PM »
Nic, is that western north carolina or northern california ?   :wink:
Lots of amazing place in the country - NorCal and WNC are two for sure.
'04 Ducati ST4sABS

Offline sturgeon

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2016, 09:35:58 AM »
Just back from 9 days canoeing. We saw morning frost on 3 of those days.

I like winter - makes it easy to park the bike, no side-stand req'd...

Dyslexics Untie!

11 Yamaha WR250R
14 Moto Guzzi V7S
16 BMW R1200R

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2016, 10:23:39 AM »
 Take heart...

"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2016, 05:20:37 PM »
My daughter is down for a visit from Jackson, Wyo, and called to ask for a motorcycle ride. Forecast was sunny and dry and 62F here in Longmont, and when I woke up there was frost on the windshields of cars parked outside. Clouds were building up on the west side of the Continental Divide, which means snow in Winter Park and areas to the west.

We headed out at noon for the usual 100-mile loop through the foothills, under blue skies with a strong wind from the west. We climbed westward toward the clouds. At 9,000 feet a few snowflakes danced in the wind. I turned on the grip heaters. We rode about 30 miles in light snow but on dry pavement -- great ride! No significant traffic, and this engine just loves to run cool.

Loveland began making snow yesterday and I start ski school clinics on Nov 12. Can't wait.

70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2016, 06:19:50 PM »
I wouldn't mind riding through Death Valley during the winter.
Do it!  Back in 1999, I rented a BMW R1100R ahead of time, and met up with a good riding buddy and his wife in Barstow, CA.  We worked for Rockwell Automation, and took advantage of the fact that the company asked us to support trade show booths at our corporate trade show (Automation Fair.)  So, air fare was covered to the West Coast.  I 'rental car'd' it to San Diego, where Dan Picker of California Rentals picked me up, and took me to my ride, an R1100R that was perfect for the Death Valley ride.

This was within 10-15 days of Christmas, and it was wonderful.  Not too much daylight (sun was behind the mountains in Death Valley by 5 pm or so), but compared to what we would face when we returned to Cleveland, this was a really nice wintertime outing.  Scotty's Castle, Dante's View, Furnace Creek, and just the fact that we had most of Death Valley to ourselves was quite an experience.

Bob
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2016, 07:10:20 PM »
It'll probably happen within a couple of years.  I'm pushing the kid to go to school at UNR rather than a school east of the Mississippi.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

twowings

« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2016, 07:16:59 PM »
Been following a RR on a certain adventure riding site as our heroes are racing south just ahead of serious Alaskan winter...the pics and descriptions of the changing weather caused an involuntary shiver deep down in my bones...cue etheral wintertime music and howling wind noises... :grin:

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here