Author Topic: Cali 1100i - de-cruiserfication winter project  (Read 10448 times)

Offline Andy B

• New Egg
Cali 1100i - de-cruiserfication winter project
« on: November 10, 2016, 03:05:50 PM »
Hi guys,

After reading the 'more participation' thread, i felt a little guilty of lack thereof, so thought i'd post up my current Guzzi project.... Always been more of a lurker, absorbing any info, rather than a poster, since I don't feel I know an awful lot about guzzi's other than the look of one does me just right  :grin:  but I do like to tinker, and i do like to photo my progress along the way.... I'm no motorbike mechanic (I am a car mechanic so at least I know my way around a set of spanners), and I the fanciest piece of kit I have is a mig welder unfortunately (still dreaming of a lathe one day)...

First Guzzi was a couple of years back on a v50 mk3 but after finishing it I couldn't help but think it was a little on the small side for me... (and the straight cut box was somewhat annoying at higher speeds) so ended up selling it just short of a year of riding it after it was finished...

started out as

something like this in the middle.... (the v50 is now the reason i'm fluent in wiring diagrams  :grin: )

and finished up as...

Once the Guzzi was done, sorted out the girlfriends Ducati... (she really enjoyed telling people how she had a bigger bike than me since I was the one who pushed her into a bike licence in the first place...)

Another tatty example when we bought her....

another mid-tidy up shot....

she ended up looking quite smart :)

AND NOW.... since the v50's gone, i needed a new Guzzi.... and since I appear to have sadomasochistic tendencies, i opted for another tatty bike to 'do up over winter' type of idea..... so I ended up with this shining example.....

1997 cali 1100i with 45000 miles on the clock... cost me £1700, which seemed pretty cheap at the time.... she was a little tatty, which didn't bother me... and she was bigger than the 50.. Now, im only 31... and whilst I feel bloody old sometimes, i'm convincing myself I'm not ready for a cruiser bike just yet... I fell in love with the new v7 when I first saw it at the Sydney motorcycle show a few years back when I was travelling, but they're a little out of budget, and I'd prefer a big block, and so after finding out the cali shares the same frame I thought i'd just dive into one....

The plan was similar to the Ducati - Ride it for the rest of the season and then when the weather gets bad enough, that's when the re-build would start... maybe a little tidying up one the way...

rear wheel first since I needed a new tyre...

Shocks since they were easy to remove

and heck, whilst im at it i'll do the swing arm too.... and realise it might be a little tattier than I first thought...

looked better for it anyway..

Got hold of an old Norton Commando front fender too.... stock one was far too bulky for my taste (and a little rotten..)

and the commando fender gave it a little more of a classic look....

Left it like that for a while whilst I enjoyed the rest of the season, I wanted to try and get as many miles as possible so rode it every chance I could, dragging my other half out to enjoy her Duc as well ;)

did the Distinguished Gentleman's Ride as her final ride out as a proper Cali, and then the MOT was up and the proper work could start :)

Offline Andy B

• New Egg
Re: Cali 1100i - de-cruiserfication winter project
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 03:19:55 PM »
When I started the v50 build, I always thought about putting a v7 tank on it.... I still had the idea in my head for this build too... so managed to find a new v7 II metal tank, and a seat to match....

After asking on here a while back, i splashed out and got a fuel pump for it too..... and after reading a few threads about bikes cutting out, and fuelling problems with the fuel filter, for the sake of 13 quid, a pre-emptive upgrade was made

:grin:

and that little unit replaces all this....

had to make a monza cap to fit the tank since I couldn't find a stock one (wasn't even going to try getting a new one....)

so now the bike stands in the garage stripped slowly getting cleaned up, wiring tidied, and put back together...

got a few things made, hopefully to go back on her at the weekend, so hopefully have a bit more progress to show by then... fkeeping my fingers crossed for getting her back on the road by march  :azn:

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 03:22:14 PM »
Nice! The frame is different on the new V7.. still a Tonti design tho.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 03:38:28 PM »
Nice work.  :thumb:  aka "atta boy"!
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 03:38:28 PM »

Offline Caffeineo

• Guzzi B00b
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2016, 05:11:22 PM »
Thanks for posting. You have some real talent in restoration/modification.  :thumb:

Great job on the V50. Can't wait to see how the Cali looks when finished.  :bike-037:
2022 Moto Guzzi V85
2018 Husky 701
2023 Husky TX300

Offline Andy B

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2016, 10:45:09 AM »
thanks guys... been enjoying the time i get on her so far... haven't reached the stage of 'why did I start this thing' like I got with the v50 - although that was mainly wring issues from bodges made by previous owners.... thankfully this has had less time on the earth to acquire such 'touches'...

Nice! The frame is different on the new V7.. still a Tonti design tho.

I believe the frame on the v50 is almost the same as the new v7 - there came my idea of putting a v7 tank on the v50 when i had it, just never got around to it.... when I sold the v50, the bloke who bought it couldn't collect for 3 weeks so I had the two Guzzi's side by side so i could compare a few things....  still wishing over a v7, I decided the tank shouldn't be too hard to fit to a Tonti frame   :wink:

only thing was the airbox was in the way.... I wanted to try and keep it if possible, so have managed to modify it... if it turns out it doesn't work too well, i'll just rip it out and fit pod filters... but hopefully it works ok...

Wanted to make a battery box to fit behind the Airbox too. I'm not going for a cafe racer look with the usual hollow triangle in the frame... and with all the EFI gubbins, I didn't really have the choice for that anyway...

couple of hours with some cereal boxes, a ruler and some polypropylene sheet....and I had myself a battery box  :azn:

Everything fitted in nicely.. (made a card teplate of how big a 545 odyssey was just for measurements sake)

a couple of minor alterations to the wiring - mainly shortening stuff for where i wanted things to end up....

I'd been eyeing up some side panels made by a German firm that were the same style as the original v7 sport...i'd made my own panels for the v50 out of fiberglass, using expanding foam as the base - easy to cut and shape... but the whole process was pretty hard going... thankfully, a pair of pre-owned panels came up on ebay for the same price of a single one new...

pretty chuffed... I moved the fuses to the battery box, the relays stayed put, and the ignition modules stayed on the left hand side, but decided to make some new mounts to hold the electrics aswell as mount the new side panels..

Put in my finally altered airbox earlier today... next job is trim the panels so they fit over the air filters... the right will need some more trimming once i decide where to mount the brake master cylinder too...

My real battery arrived yesterday too... once eveything's wired up, i'll even have a small space to make a tray on top of the battery for some bits and bobs  :grin:

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2016, 11:21:45 AM »
Nice work  :thumb:
I see you retained the P8 ECU, nothing wrong with that but it does take up a lot of room.
Might I suggest a new set of relays to make it more reliable, perhaps re-wiring the start relay.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Andy B

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2016, 02:09:50 PM »
I did look for alternatives for the ecu, but after thinking about it, since I could fit it in, and it works, why not just use it :)

What type of relays are they? Is there just one type of mini 5 pin relay or are there different type that wouldn't be suitable? Will take your advice on the starter relay once its back together... seem to remember a couole of wires feeling quite hard when I waas re routing the relays...

Offline lazlokovacs

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2016, 02:34:36 PM »
hey andy, loving your work mate

that duc looks great!

love that commando front fender too

I chucked the FI off my calvin and put some carbs on. I too wanted to keep the airbox, but found that it made a difference of maybe as much as 8 sizes on the main jet as opposed to pods so finally ditched it. I think it defintiely does restrict flow even with no snorkels etc... contrary to some recieved wisdom out there, just my first hand experience.

I've been planning to do the same side panel mod for a while, mind telling me which german firm you get the v7 panels from?

good luck with it all

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2016, 02:49:36 PM »
I did look for alternatives for the ecu, but after thinking about it, since I could fit it in, and it works, why not just use it :)

What type of relays are they? Is there just one type of mini 5 pin relay or are there different type that wouldn't be suitable? Will take your advice on the starter relay once its back together... seem to remember a couole of wires feeling quite hard when I waas re routing the relays...

If you still have Siemens relays.  Time to replace.  Bosch or those from Dave.    http://dpguzzi.com/relay.htm  A number of us have purchased relays from him.  :thumb:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Andy B

• New Egg
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2016, 03:27:46 PM »
I did think about chucking some carbs on to lighten the wiring but was a little more than I wanted to spend, and had a few people telling me the fi was pretty faultless on the 1100, so decided to stick with it... first bike I've had with fi so its all a bit new to me.... so far, so good tho... just worried about throwing anything off sensor-ecu wise... so I figure if I keep it as standard as possible, can't go far wrong ;)

The german firm is ricambi-weiss.de

hopefully this link works

All the relays have bosch printed on them, but they do look a little old... think I'll invest in a new set just to be on the safe side

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 04:06:38 PM by fotoguzzi »
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2016, 04:22:32 PM »
It can be done and others have done the carb switch but the stumbling block would be the electronic ignition.  IIRC,  the ecu would be looking for input from the sensors for fuel.  I don't remember anyone just replacing the carbs.  Anyone can correct.  Others have replaced the ignition with a distributor and carbs.  A little more work.  The engine case would need work.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2016, 12:28:07 AM »
I have been using these Omrons from Digikey but it's a standard pattern made by many manufacturers
I know Jeep have used them in some models.

Buy all 5 pin relays, they are compatible with the 4 pin and that way you can use in any slot.

\\http://www.omron.com/ecb/products/pdf/en-g8hn.pdf

No, if you have the room for the P8 ECU why change.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Andy B

• New Egg
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2016, 01:07:16 PM »
didn't have a copy of the manual - thank you... now downloaded  :wink:

when i had a very brief look into a change to carbs, i reember thinking it looked like an awful lot of work, and since everything worked I thought it'd be spending money on no real improvements really, so decided to push ahead with the FI... plus, it felt like it would be a bit more of a personal accomplishment when it was all done and dusted (If i succeeded that is...). There was a cali 3 that came up for sale locally acutally, soon after I bought this one, but decided against the temptaion (besides which, it had Stromberg carbs on it for some reason which was a bit off putting)

Thanks for the info on the relays.. will try and hunt down a source for when it goes back on the road properly.

managed to get a little bit done today... almost finished off tidying up the wiring to the front (one half at least) - all the sensor wires and wires to the throttle bodies and coil packs are sorted. just need to sort out the handlebar/dash wiring.

Whilst Im talking wiring - can anyone tell me the wiring to a modern v7 fuel pump? it's got 4 wires - red, black, blue and white... red and black are positive and negative feeds for the pump, can anyone tell me which the +ve and -ve are for the fuel light? save me taking the pump out again (i noted it down somewhere, but forgotten where  :embarrassed: )

I wanted to push on with some other bits today though so the other wiring was neatly tucked into the middle for now....

First proper look with tank and seat placed onto the frame... seat still needs rear bracket to sit/lock onto, so is slightly down, and rear fender, in the photo is held above the wheel by a spray tin, but it gave a good indicator of what it will eventually look like i guess  :grin:

The tank and seat went on so I could figure out where i want to put my foot pegs.... I thought, at the end of the day, im building this for me... I dont really want another project bike after this one... I want to make it as comfortable as I can for a long country lane journey to a ride down the local bike friendly pub so....

sitting comfortably near the tank with plenty of pillion room....

..... I basically have two positions in mind.... the red dot is where the middle of my foot would rest in position 1... the rear mount for the foot board would be where the middle of my foot would rest in position 2....

so position 1, legs a little further back, kind of where I think a classic v7s foot peg would be...

comfortable, but.....

position 2, foot maybe 3 inches further forward, leg straight down from the knee, feels slightly more comfortable with a long ride in mind... and perhaps better lines for the rear master cylinder rod (thats another story mind - not sure how to mount that one yet...)

question is, how is best to go about making a foot peg... 

I thought about making something like what was on the old v7's out of some tube and bend it to suit...  also having to factor in making around something to actuate the rear brake too....

so, if anyone has any suggestions for this - i'm all ears.... bit of a stumbling block at the moment...

Offline guzzista

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2016, 02:27:38 PM »
Couple choices, both actual Guzzi parts. 1) Tonti Lemans  ( your choice of series).  2) T3 type ( maybe even cheaper to purchase used) and modify accordingly . Both will require brake pedals, but using those from LM's or T3 could work as well.
1975 750S Tribute bike, 1994 Cali 1100, 2007 Ducati GT1000, 1983 SP1000, 1973 V7Sport project, 2017 California1400 Touring

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2016, 06:02:03 PM »
You could use plate steel for mounts.  Cut to order.  Paint.  The later model bikes use lattice type mounts made out of aluminum.

Offline guzziownr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2016, 07:16:03 PM »
You could use plate steel for mounts.  Cut to order.  Paint.  The later model bikes use lattice type mounts made out of aluminum.
These are T-5, SP II mounts on a '00 Jackal note the Guzzi Eagle cast into the aluminum.  Spiffy!:

If you use LeMans parts it will move the foot position back.  Here is the semi-complete bike:

A LeMans, not mine:

If you ever feel like no one pays attention to you, try making a sandwich in front of your dog

Offline Andy B

• New Egg
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2016, 01:49:52 PM »
Well, I had no luck finding any pegs from a T5.. i quite liked the look of the trellis ali type ones... I even looked for some T3 pegs, again to no avail. Posted a plea on a Guzzi group on facebook and then got a positive reply, only they weren't quite the same, I followed through, and ended up with a set of foot pegs from - I assume an earlier guzzi..

I have an old brochure for an 850 le mans, and they look pretty similar, exactly what they were off i couldn't be sure.. perhaps someone can shed some light...

horrid paint job, but 20mins at the bench grinder wire wheel soon sorted that...

had quite a productive evening when I got in from work.. finished off my headlight bracket - I had a spare headlight left over from my Ducati build, so thought i'd put it to good use (just need a beam bender as it kicks up the wrong way). Got a standard Ducati mounting mounting and chopped, drilled and generally molested until it fit nice with a few extra brackets..

speedo next (and messy garage shot). Just used the standard speedo from the bike minus the shell (which i haphazardly sort of destroyed getting the speedo cable back on back when it was being ridden - very frustrating task). and next to that a shell from a mini speedo that had been butchered - going to put all my idiot lights in there in LED form...

Thought it sits rather well....

New (to me) forks turned up... old ones were pitted to buggery, and a massive gouge above the right fork seal which peed out after every ride.... so I ended up with some FAC's? only because that was all Gutsibits had in their used spares... but seemed like a good deal anyway so worked out ok... fitted them so I get the calipers to the front too... i do like the classic look :)

And even had time to trial fit the pegs... quickly cut off the foot board mounts so the brake lever would fit, and tacked the master cylinder in place... will be requiring a bit more chopping on the side panel.....

going to get it out tomorrow in the daylight, throw the tank and seat back on and see how she feels...
Pretty pleased with the progress so far.. :)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 01:59:56 PM by Andy B »

Offline Matteo

• Alaska Guzzi's on Facebook
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Make me an offer I can't refuse!
    • https://squareup.com/store/doubleshovelciderco
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2016, 02:46:54 PM »
Andy, your V50 is a beaut!

66 Stornello Scrambler,77 Lemans,80 CX100,16 V7II,21 V85TT Centenario
Gone to new homes: 84 LM3, 82 1000SP, 00 V11Sport, 84 V50III, 84V65, 00 Jackal, 07 Norge

Offline Andy B

• New Egg
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2016, 03:34:29 PM »
Cheers :) had fun building the v50 and was what got me into the Guzzi world... just didnt like the straight cut gearbox :( so had to go (and i can only fit 3 bikes confortably in my garage :/ )

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2016, 03:35:13 PM »
http://www.rebootguzzispares.com/index.html

Ask these guys if they have T5 brackets.  Last I knew they had a couple T5's they were parting out.  SPIII might be the same and I know they had three of them.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Andy B

• New Egg
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2016, 04:11:12 PM »
Got a reply from reboot saying they didn't have anything... will keep looking, but will stick with the ones I found for now :) they look nice and retro if nothing else ;)

Offline swooshdave

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2016, 09:42:31 PM »
Great job!
--
2001 V11 Sport
1972 Norton Production Racer Replica
1973 Norton Commando Interstate

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2016, 11:06:57 PM »
What primo looking work on the V50 and Ducati, very nice!

I like the direction you're going in this build,,, simple, reliable, functional, comfortable, nice handling bike,,, your tank transforms the bike completely, what's not to love ;~)

Tks for taking the time to document and post your progress,,,

Good luck with it

Kelly
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Offline Mr Pootle

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2016, 02:49:52 AM »
Andy
Whereabouts in the UK are you? I'm clearing my father's workshop down in Essex. There's a lathe there that I could let you have at an attractive price.

Offline Andy B

• New Egg
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2016, 05:12:34 AM »
thanks guys, i'm really glad how she's turning out... there was one point where I thought I might have bitten off a bit more project than I initially wanted, but it's come good...

I got her outside earlier this morning to get the tank and seat on and see how the foot pegs faired, see if they felt comfortable, and I can happily say they feel pretty perfect! Only a long ride out would really confirm it mind, but just sitting on her felt really nice (even if I have only got one side sorted so far....

and she looks a beaut! what a difference a headlight makes to a bike..

Side panel needs a trim to fit over the master cylinder....

just took off the cylinder for now.... definitely getting there

Andy
Whereabouts in the UK are you? I'm clearing my father's workshop down in Essex. There's a lathe there that I could let you have at an attractive price.

I'm up on the Wirral - inbetween Liverpool and North Wales... so a fair ways from essex... Cheer for the thought - i'd love to have a lathe, but I don't think i could fit even a small one in my garage (barely fit what I have in there now!) That coupled with plans to emigrate to Oz in a couple of years, I'll have to pass it up unfortunately  :undecided:

Orange Guzzi

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2016, 08:44:58 AM »
I posted some pic on F.B. wildguzzi group page.  I used the oem rear foot peg bracket to start my rearset setup.  Front pegs are where the rear are and the rear are mounted where the exhaust was hung.  I modeled the shifter after the sport1100,  There are oem sport shifters that are available if you do not want to fabricate as I did. It will mount right up to the Tonti frame.  Made a brake lever and master cylinder set up that worked with the pegs.  I posted a right and left side view. 

The spine frame bike has many of the dimensions/geometry as the Tonti frame. When I started my project, I found drawings of the various Tonti frames and Sport frames to help decide on oem parts.  Saving time in fabrication plus keeping the bike o.e.m.  My build has parts from 14 different models. 

Offline drdwb

• Gaggle Hero
    • backfeelsgreat.com
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2016, 10:36:39 AM »
Andy thanks for the project posts. The  V50 and DUC projects look out great. I love where your going with the 1100.  at the risk of opening up a can of worms I'd say your work exemplifies the form follows function approach yet proves artistry and creativity are necessary in the building process, and not just complementary, to produce a one of a kind beautiful classic looking bike. Do you take time to just sit in your garage with a pint in your hand and admire your work?
Cheers
Dave
07 Norge, 05 Baby Breva, 04 Stone  Touring , 03 EV, 82 650 Maxim 79 XS750 Special 78XS1100 Teraplane side car

Offline Andy B

• New Egg
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2016, 01:12:01 PM »
I posted some pic on F.B. wildguzzi group page.  I used the oem rear foot peg bracket to start my rearset setup.  Front pegs are where the rear are and the rear are mounted where the exhaust was hung.  I modeled the shifter after the sport1100,  There are oem sport shifters that are available if you do not want to fabricate as I did. It will mount right up to the Tonti frame.  Made a brake lever and master cylinder set up that worked with the pegs.  I posted a right and left side view. 

The spine frame bike has many of the dimensions/geometry as the Tonti frame. When I started my project, I found drawings of the various Tonti frames and Sport frames to help decide on oem parts.  Saving time in fabrication plus keeping the bike o.e.m.  My build has parts from 14 different models. 

I couldn't see a F.B group for wildguzzi... got a link?

I thought about using the oem foot pegs - when riding i joked to myself it was comfier to use the rear pegs than the boards, but thought they were a bit too bulky - and turns out a little too far rearward...

Thankfully the footpegs I managed to find came with the brake lever and the gear shifter so hopefully all the big purchases are done... well, maybe some new rear shocks.... we'll see... good to know the spine frame guzzis share parts... I was limiting my ebay searching to tonti bits and bobs...

Andy thanks for the project posts. The  V50 and DUC projects look out great. I love where your going with the 1100.  at the risk of opening up a can of worms I'd say your work exemplifies the form follows function approach yet proves artistry and creativity are necessary in the building process, and not just complementary, to produce a one of a kind beautiful classic looking bike. Do you take time to just sit in your garage with a pint in your hand and admire your work?
Cheers
Dave

cheers dave, to be honest, from the start i knew i wanted a v7 tank (i'd have bought a v7 if it wasn't for the cost of them, and the fact i wanted a big block) So i decided to make it look like one instead  :wink: I like the simple lines of the old classic guzzi's and hope it ends up looking as good as one. If i get a little excited every time i walk back to her when i've stopped on a ride, i'll have succeeded.

(and yes, i do like going into the garage and just sit there looking how she's coming along  :wink: was the same with the Duc and v50 when they were coming along too)

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here