Author Topic: Guzzi Stelvio dying out after fueling...in Alaska  (Read 2395 times)

Offline mach1mustang351

• Hatchling
Guzzi Stelvio dying out after fueling...in Alaska
« on: August 03, 2017, 03:27:41 PM »
I have a 2014 Stelvio NTX, currently traveling from LA to Alaska back to Chicago. 6k service done in Seattle by the folks of Moto International 2 weeks ago. After making it to Prud'hoe Bay with the bike, I decided to ship it to Anchorage, given the weather conditions. Up until then, the bike had given me NO problem. I picked the bike up yesterday and it worked fine until I put a full tank of gas in it. It started smoking and dying out. I checked the air filter and it is all good. I thought I had put bad gas or diesel, and drained the tank entirely and put 2 gallons of new fuel at first. The bike was working well. When I filled it all the way up again, it started dying again.

I am in Anchorage and I cannot find a single mechanic who will work on the bike. I think it is a fueling issue, but I am not sure what is happening. help?

(also, this is not mach1mustang351 - I am just using his account because he was kind enough to let me use it... I lost my log in credentials and I am in Alaska...)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 03:29:09 PM by mach1mustang351 »

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
Re: Guzzi Stelvio dying out after fueling...in Alaska
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 03:39:20 PM »
I'm not the guy you want to talk to, but he'll be along in a little while. In the meantime, I'll play the clueless outsider (key role in a good Kaizen meeting).

Smoking - from the pipes, or under the tank?

Dying out - runs on both cylinders before it dies?

Full tank of gas - is it venting okay? When you pop the cap does it hiss like something got released, or is it uneventful ?

How does that troubleshooting tree go  - fuel, compression, spark? Most ignition issues are fuel problems? Or do I have it backwards?

Don't worry, the pros will be along any minute. Verify you're getting spark through the plugs on both sides (without starting a fire, please). This will keep you entertained while you wait. I'll assume compression is present.

If bad fuel, could the filter have gotten water in it? 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 03:41:40 PM by normzone »
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline thepittsburghguzzi

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 04:00:25 PM »
I'm not the guy you want to talk to, but he'll be along in a little while. In the meantime, I'll play the clueless outsider (key role in a good Kaizen meeting).

Smoking - from the pipes, or under the tank?

Dying out - runs on both cylinders before it dies?

Full tank of gas - is it venting okay? When you pop the cap does it hiss like something got released, or is it uneventful ?

How does that troubleshooting tree go  - fuel, compression, spark? Most ignition issues are fuel problems? Or do I have it backwards?

Don't worry, the pros will be along any minute. Verify you're getting spark through the plugs on both sides (without starting a fire, please). This will keep you entertained while you wait. I'll assume compression is present.

If bad fuel, could the filter have gotten water in it?

The fact that (if I'm reading correctly) the issue gets worse with a Full tank really makes me think it may indeed be a problem with the gas tank not venting properly. Less air in a full tank before the vacuum begins to form, right?
2012 V7 Classic - Scarlet
1979 KZ750 Twin - Copper

-Paul

pete roper

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 04:03:09 PM »
The fact that it occurred after a fill up would seem to indicate fuel but that may be a false flag.

Take the plug cap covers off and see if the spark can be seen or heard snapping to earth at the rocker cover. If this occurs then the fuel that isn't burnt in the combustion chamber will be burning in the cat. Has the muffler discoloured un any way? Gone blue or black from overheating? The smoke is also an indicator of fuel burning in the cat.

While I have no idea why it sometimes takes a while for the caps to fail completely after they have been removed with insufficient care and as the bike has just been serviced that is a possibility.

First step, get some SB05E NGK caps and whack them on. See if that cures the problem. Note that the correct way to remove the factory caps is to lever them up with a long, thin screwdriver inserted through the cooling tunnel just above the exhaust header. Not pry away at the top of the cap as that is what buggers them!

Pete

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 04:03:09 PM »

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 04:23:06 PM »
Who are you?

Do you have tools?

Where abouts in ANX did you set down?

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 04:36:16 PM »
The closest Guzzi mechanic I know who's any good would be Gord, Valley motorcycles Chilliwack BC
I thought tank suck as well but Pete is the guru perhaps a combination of cap damage and salt air. Rodekyll may be able to point you to a good shop, he's from up that way.

Sent from my shoe phone!
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 04:40:08 PM »
I don't know the shops there but I do know a fellow in Wasilla that is pretty good with bikes and knows everyone in the area.If you can't get things fixed based on what you see here and need a hand, ping me in a PM and I'll put you in touch with him.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 01:36:09 AM »
Anyone heard from our mystery guest?

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 06:04:16 AM »
Open the fuel filler cap. If the bike runs, you know it's the vent.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline mach1mustang351

• Hatchling
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 02:55:36 AM »
Hey everyone.

This was my ID but I was not the guy with the issue.

I loaned the account to this guy to get some ideas while we were trouble shooting.

After being turned down by every dealer in town, he happened into a Harley dealer that happened to employ a guy with two Guzzis (me) so we went to work

The bike would crank a long time, run and idle and eventually die. It acted worse while riding. Before I meet Michele, he drained the fuel and refilled, it was still acting up.

It ran fine when it was running anf was acting like a fuel issue. I zeroed in on thw long crank and figured the vent system. It's a known issue, and I had a problem with it on mine. We pulled the plastic cover on tne back of the tank and pulled ths vent hose. Ths bike cranked up quick and started.

So it was a vent issue, he left on Friday to head back to Chicago,

All is well

pete roper

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2017, 05:08:22 AM »
I was wondering if it might be something to do with the venting system but being unfamiliar with the US system I couldn't offer anything concrete.

Great result. Golden elephant stamp to you. :thumb:

Pete

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2017, 05:22:51 AM »
Hey everyone.

All is well
Thanks for the feedback :thumb: :thumb:
Can you share the dealership name/location
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline mach1mustang351

• Hatchling
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2017, 03:49:58 PM »
I work at The House of Harley Davidson in Anchorage, AK.

The work was done outside of the shop.  I happen to be a Guzzi guy and a lover of all bikes so I took a crack at it "off the record"

If any of you find yourselves in a similar condition in the Last Frontier, or just want to say HI.  come by, my name is Sam.

The dead give away will be if I have my 1000SP parked out front of the Harley Shop  :thumb:

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here