Author Topic: More Griso electrickery gremlins  (Read 2137 times)

Offline Trogladyte

• Gosling
  • Location: South London - home of the world's best football team.
More Griso electrickery gremlins
« on: August 05, 2017, 09:25:16 AM »
When I parked in the garage at work yesterday, I parked next to someone's oil leak. I lost my footing on the left of the bike, and couldn't hold it. So I put it down as gently as I could. There was no visible damage, so I must have done a good job of putting it down gently. But then it wouldn't start. After some investigation I realised it was because the neutral switch was not functioning. Some jiggling of wires soon got me a neutral light and all was well.

But since then, while idling the neutral light intermittently flashes. With engine off I am getting a light, but I'm worried that there's a dodgy connection that is waiting to fail.

I'm guessing that this is just going to be external wiring, but everything looks OK. I'm not sure this is even connected to dropping the damned thing.

What do you think is the best course of action?

Offline Trogladyte

• Gosling
Re: More Griso electrickery gremlins
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 04:03:56 PM »
Come on - someone must have some insights here. The switch seem to be a real expletive deleted to get to.

Can I bypass it so that it is always in neutral? Does anything else depend on it?

beetle

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 04:22:44 PM »
If it's intermittently coming on while idling, you either have a short to ground in the wiring, or a problem with the switch itself. Disconnect the spade connector on the switch. If the light still comes on intermittently while idling, it's a wiring issue. Otherwise, it's the switch. Or mechanical.

Yes, it's a right frontbottom to get to.

Offline Trogladyte

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 04:27:08 PM »
Thanks.

If its a switch issue, can I just short across the connections? Will that allow it to start?

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 04:27:08 PM »

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 04:39:20 PM »
But since then, while idling the neutral light intermittently flashes. With engine off I am getting a light, but I'm worried that there's a dodgy connection that is waiting to fail.

If it flashes while idling IN neutral, then it is likely a loose connection, not a short. I would suspect a loose connection at the top of the switch.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

beetle

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 04:57:05 PM »
Yes, I assumed it was flashing while idling in gear.  D'oh!  :embarrassed:

Offline swooshdave

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 05:23:10 PM »
Isn't there a tilt sensor?
--
2001 V11 Sport
1972 Norton Production Racer Replica
1973 Norton Commando Interstate

Offline Trogladyte

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 05:58:25 PM »
Yeah - it's flashing  - intermittently - when idling in neutral. What worries me is that it may prevent starting.

beetle

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 06:28:27 PM »
Shouldn't, unless your clutch switch plays up. You'll have to get amongst it to check the connector on the switch.

pete roper

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 06:30:41 PM »
Easiest way is to pull the airbox. It's pretty simple to get at after its out of the way.

Pete

Offline Trogladyte

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2017, 09:22:49 AM »
Shouldn't, unless your clutch switch plays up. You'll have to get amongst it to check the connector on the switch.
Having owned this bike for 9 years since new, I obviously know this, and am just checking.

Will it start in gear if you pull the clutch in?

beetle

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2017, 04:24:03 PM »
Yes.

Offline Trogladyte

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2017, 06:15:57 PM »
Yep. I've double checked this. And its right.

But this is puzzling me. This morning the neutral switch performed perfectly. And then failed when the bike got hot. And repeated that pattern three more times. Until I got home after a 10 mile urban slog through heavy traffic. With the bike upright the light flashed. As soon as I tipped it onto the stand the light went out - and it killed the engine. I tried this a few more times and it happened every time. Stand down sitting on the bike with the engine idling - neutral light flickers. Lean over onto stand - light out and engine dies.

I suppose it could be a connector on the switch that is looser when hot, and disconnects due to gravity when at an angle. Or is there something else going on?

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here