Author Topic: V7 Special: stuck in hot traffic jam for a looooong time. Now not running well  (Read 21909 times)

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
I've called the dealer and I'm waiting for a call back to schedule a time to bring it in.  If anyone has some ideas in the meantime though...

This was a MOS (my own stupidity) moment.

It was a beautiful day for a ride.  My V7 was one with the universe.  The birds were singing, the butterflies were fluttering, yada yada.
On the way back home (it was 85-90 F outside), I got caught in the mother of all traffic jams.  I should have just found a parking spot, pulled over and found something cool to drink.  Instead I sat in traffic waiting.  And waiting.  And waiting for it to clear.  I was not only getting heat from the heads, I swear it was coming up through the seat too.  I think I sat in the traffic, inching (literally) along for an hour or more.  (Yeah, stupid).  Finally I gave up, found a place to pull over, and sat it out.  Here's where the trouble began and I think I have one or more problems.

When starting back up, the bike initially didn't want to keep running.  Some clutch and throttle work kept it going.  And then it started having poor power and gear grindy sounds.  I managed to nurse it home and went out the next morning to check on it.  Oil looked fine.  But it still didn't want to go:  just kept making those vaguely grindy noises whenever I let out the clutch.  That's when I figured out the clutch adjustment had slipped (never had that happen...now I know what it feels/sounds like).  The lock wheel (or whatever that's called) was loose and the adjustment just vibrated out.  I've since adjusted it back to close-ish to normal.  The bike goes forward when I let out on the clutch lever and stops going forward when I pull it in.  Shifting feels fairly normal.  I can find neutral.  So it might not be perfect but it's close.    BUT....

The engine still wants to die if I don't keep on the throttle even after it's warm and the cylinders to me don't sound entirely happy under load (I could also be paranoid at this point).  Power is definitely better but doesn't feel "right".  Anyone know of anything else simple to try?  Could it still be the clutch?  I've fiddled with it back and forth and settled on what felt like the best adjustment.  My mechanical knowledge is unfortunately limited.  My fear is I've done serious damage in the gridlock.  I'm waiting to hear back from the dealer but it's likely a couple weeks before I can get it in; they're backed up the ying yang.  Willing to try what I can on my own.

If it matters, the V7 Special is a 2013 but bought new in 2014.  About 4000 miles on it.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
Your plug electrodes may have suffered and/or valve lash changed during the incident.  Check them.  If that bike has a temp sensor in a plastic holder, the holder could have melted and the sensor isn't reading right.

Did the ecu shut the engine down?  Some will when the temp goes beyond limits.  Whether or not, dump your codes and see if they give any clues.  AFTER dumping codes you might want to disconnect the battery and reset the ecu.  Like a good dog, it may have learned a bad habit during the incident.

Without knowing more about your specific model, I can't offer any more specific advice.

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Overheating is a problem. I don't see any reason why it shouldn't run again. I may have a stored fault that keeps it in limp home mode, only thing I could think of off hand. Depending how long it's been could be the valves tightened up. Heat may have gotten a vent hose melted.

I would disconnect battery for a time. At least it'll reboot the ECU if at all do no harm.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
For what it is worth got caught in a similar way years ago in Houston with my GS400. For the next two days it ran  similar to what you are describing, then toward the end of the second day it kind of back to back missed hard a couple times and was fine after that. I thinking in the heat some carbon formed on a valve and then finally worked it's way out. GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Wildguzzi.com

Online arveno

• Gaggle Hero
    • ddleathers.com
Why don't just ( carefully)drive through the traffic?
That's what motorcycle are made for .....

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
This happened to me in the earlier days of ownership of the 2014 Special - caught in peak hour traffic in 36-38C (95-100F). Severe rough running, surging idle, felt like a fuel blockage, smell of fuel. Stopped a few times for the engine to cool. Lifting fuel cap didn't help, neither did re-setting the ECU. Next morning still running roughly.

Took it into the shop (Motociclo). The air filter was dirty (after 9,000km), the air box was dirty, plugs fouled. The airbox was cleaned - right down the manifolds & into the insides of the throttle body, new air filter, new plugs and the TPS was re-set, probably along with other ECU settings (but no other details provided). This fixed it.

A later case of rough running was traced to a dirty air filter & oil in the airbox. After that, I've replaced the engine oil with only 1.9L instead of the 2L specified in the manual & no such troubles since in 30,000km. Note that I now only use the paper filter, the oiled filter being relegated to emergency use.

Good luck, hope you fix was as easy as mine,

Mal

2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
Why don't just ( carefully)drive through the traffic?
That's what motorcycle are made for .....

I don't know about where you live, but here in Sydney the authorities have been steadily reducing the width of the lanes, so now that filtering is now legal (albeit with restrictions), it is often physically impossible.

Online arveno

• Gaggle Hero
    • ddleathers.com
Wow so narrow a V7 won't pass?

« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 04:44:06 PM by arveno »

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
Wow so narrow a V7 won't pass?

Yep. Although some guys with narrower bikes, less worn-out depth perception & reflexes, & daily familiarity with peak hour traffic seem to fit through spaces that I balk at. And here, but for the breakdown lane on motorways, undertaking is illegal. Go figure.

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
I'm no expert, but I suspect you didn't ruin the bike!  Do what Steve said, and change the motor oil very soon.  Also, I would put new plugs in.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
I'm no expert, but I suspect you didn't ruin the bike!  Do what Steve said, and change the motor oil very soon.  Also, I would put new plugs in.
I suspect you're onto something, Chad..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

pete roper

It might be worth clearing the fuel trims as well as the engine temperature got so high. The ECU may of had a bit of a coniption. Pull the main fuse for a few seconds or disconnect the battery.

Pete

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
Thanks guys; appreciate the advice and anecdotes. 

I'm assuming if I reset the ECU, I'll lose any codes that are there but they'll be regenerated if there's an actual problem with the various components.  A possibility that it needs a valve adjustment wouldn't surprise me based on how it currently feels.  I'll start with the ECU reset though and see how it goes. 
Roger on the oil & plug change.  Even if the ECU reset appears to correct things, I'll get that done as soon as I can.
I don't think I have anything melted; I took the bags and seat off and poked around quite a bit this morning and it visually looked Ok.  I know things can hide but I'm cautiously optimistic.

I'll report back. 

Arveno, filtering is illegal here unfortunately.  I ended up doing a bit of it just to get to a safe place to stop but didn't want to press my luck (both with the authorities and drivers who aren't used to it).  Although at the speeds everyone was (not) moving, they'd have been hard pressed to do much damage. ;)

Thanks again for the speedy advice.

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
Definitely disconnect the battery.  Change oil.  Check plugs and sensor on the head.  As suggested by others.  :thumb:  Next time the shoulder like you're pushing it.  Sidesaddle.  Do it spurts.  That way the car people won't get pissed at you.  Sit on your bike for awhile then take off again.  It they see you stopped on the side of the road.  They won't get bent out of shape with you.  After all, you're having mechanical problems.  :shocked:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
ECU reset.  It seems to have helped the general running/power but not restored the bike to normal.  Still wants to die when I'm not on the throttle and the exhaust has more of a 'blat' than I remember. 

I think it's now ridable to the dealer rather than needing a $towtruck$ for which my wallet is grateful.  I'll have to wait until they open on Tuesday and see when they can fit me in.  Meanwhile I'll stay off the bike.  Thanks again for your help!  Any ideas I didn't implement is due to my lack of mechanic-ing skills (which are next to zero...need to work on that).

Tom, I like the filtering subterfuge.  Sometimes it's good to be a pirate.

Offline Bob Wegman

• Gaggle Hero
Can you do a compression check on the engine?  This will give you a clue if you have an internal problem.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 10:55:10 AM by Bob Wegman »
02 EV1100, 2010 V7 Classic, 80 Yamaha 650, 80 Yamaha SR500, 77 Yamaha XS650, 67 Honda 305 Superhawk, 66 Ducati 250 Monza(apart)
MGNOC # 20848
AMA# 548668

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero

Tom, I like the filtering subterfuge.  Sometimes it's good to be a pirate.

Stay below 25mph.  Otherwise you'll be going too fast.  Coast down hill.

From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
It'll cost you 4 dollars and change to put new plugs in it before throwing big  bucks at the dealer.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
There are so many possibilities as to what you are hearing or feeling and what might have happened as it overheated.

Start with the basics like some that were suggested - spark plugs are simple enough. Perform a thorough inspection of the bike and fasteners. If the exhaust sounds a little louder check the fasteners, especially the muffler clamps and the header nuts (the latter have been known to loosen in service).

As for handling traffic, I've been stuck in some pretty big traffic jams - in Philly, around NYC, around Ocean City NJ, and even leaving a NASCAR race in Dover, DE one time are all examples that come to mind. Ironically most times I was on a Harley (or a Guzzi Jackal) and I never had any problem, even in 90+ degree summer temps. But I don't just let it sit there and idle for an hour or more. If the traffic is THAT bad I'll shut it down and sit there for a while. I'll run up the shoulder if I need to also. It's real easy to duck back into traffic if you have to and 99% of the time if it's that bad a Leo is going to give you a pass because a vehicle broken down on the side of the road is just as much a hazard.

No matter, hopefully you didn't let it go thermonuclear and it just needs some basic things tweaked.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
I wonder if the exhaust was damaged w/the heat. Don't know if it would get plugged up in the cat or not. Just an idea.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
I wonder if the exhaust was damaged w/the heat. Don't know if it would get plugged up in the cat or not. Just an idea.

Good idea, Steve.. I'd forgotten about the cat. <snapping suspenders>

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ

From all the reports we've seen I would imagine IF that happened it would show on the outside with discolored chrome.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline lorazepam

• Gosling
  • Almost ready for suspenders
Yes, if the cat gets damaged, it will turn the pipe dark blue.

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
Chuck and Kev:  true 'dat.  Plugs are easy enough.  I think I have the right socket so I can at least pop them out an have a look.  If they need replacing, I should be able to pick some up tomorrow and a gapping tool (which I'm pretty sure I don't have anymore). 

I was looking in my owner's manual and I don't see the gap for the plugs.  Anyone have that figure handy?  I'm sure it's been discussed before on the forum so I'll do a search too.

And yeah.  I try to be law abiding and have to remind myself that sometimes laws should be broken.  This was one of those times.

Steve:  hope not re: catalytic converter.   I don't know what they run on bikes but cars are ugly.

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
Ah, good to know on the cat.   The pipes have the same coloration they did before so I should be fine.

Someone (Kev?) also mentioned making sure everything was tightened up on the exhaust.  I did take a look at it but I'll go over it more thoroughly since it's cold right now. 

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
Bob, I unfortunately don't have the tools right now to do a compression check (yeah, that sucky at mechanicing).  If it's going down that route I definitely want the dealer (Moto International) to be messing with it rather than me.  As a kindness to the bike.

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
Plugs are out.  They don't look too bad to my uneducated eye but will try to attach a pic.  Would like your thoughts.

The upside (right side of the bike as you're sitting on it) has a modest amount of carbon but nothing huge.  The downside looks like it has a small amount of fluid on it (assuming oil though it smells like gas).  Neither has what I'd associate with overheating (white).

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
Here are the plugs.  In the pic, the top-most plug is from the left (downhill) side of the bike.  It's the one that had some liquid on it.  Hopefully it's not too large but I'll resize

or blow up if necessary.

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
The exhaust feels totally solid on both sides and I don't see any bluing except as it comes right out of the cylinders.

As I was futzing around with the spark plugs I did see some melt areas on the spark plug wire.  The right side is fine but on the left side I have this.  (same wire from different angles)

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
You obviously need a new lead. Put new plugs in it anyway. I can't tell you how many times plugs that look good won't fire under pressure on the spark plug tester.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here