Author Topic: V7 Special: stuck in hot traffic jam for a looooong time. Now not running well  (Read 21915 times)

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
Glub, glub!  :grin:

It just all seems so stupid.  It had to be a joy ride.  I think this kind of theft is a felony.  So the joyrider is stupid. 
It cost the Honda dude a tow, probably a new battery, and whatever it takes to undo the hotwire.  Oh, and he's out a helmet.  And his time.
It'll cost me and the insurance company...I don't know how much yet. 

And stuff like this affects everyone's rates.  And for what?  A few hours of zooming around on a bike. 
Just seems senseless.

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
I was just thinking -- without a key it's hard to get gas into a bike.  How much range was left in your tank?  It might limit the search.

Offline TimmyTheHog

• Gaggle Mentor
Damn!!!

Hopefully whatever the theif did does not damage your bike too much...

All this happened after your upgrade as well... :shocked: :undecided: :embarassed: :cry:
Life isn't WHAT IS at the end.
It is HOW and WHAT you are doing to get there.

03 Honda Shadow Spirit - The Purple Beast (SOLD)
15 Guzz V7 Stone - The Red Chick (SOLD)
18 BMW R1200GS Rallye - The Blue Streak (SOLD)

Currently Bikeless...*cry*

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
Unfortunately, it was full.  So at least a couple hundred miles if he hits the highway.  Honestly, I think he's staying close to town though.  The Honda was only about 5-10 miles away.  It was stolen a couple hours before and fairly close.  I think some guy is just riding around and not trying to get out of town.

I've checked Craigslist and probably will continue to do so.  Let the dealer know on the outside wild chance it comes across their doors.  Our neighborhood has an online posting/blog thing so I let them know.  More eyes never hurts. 

Thanks Tim.  No real upgrades, just a chance to do some mechanicing.  I was pretty chuffed that I got it running properly again; minor though the issue actually was.

Ah well. It'll turn up or it won't and I've done what I could.  I was (and somewhat still am) pretty gutted by it.  Thanks for providing a place to vent and hearing some other people (besides me) say "the bastards!". 

Wildguzzi.com

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
That's rough, [Rhodan], but hopefully the insurance will make it right after much paperwork.

And thanks much for this in your earlier post:

" Page 141 of the owners manual if anyone finds this thread in the future). "

That's so cool - that kind of thing has been a big help to me.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline waxi

• The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off due to budget cuts.
  • Gosling
Well, that just sucks. We also had some thefts of different construction tools in recent years and a house break-in. World is full of scum. What I would give for one US law here in EU...

Moto Guzzi V7 II Special, 2015
Moto Guzzi Nevada, 1998
Tomos Automatik A3 ML, 1987, oldtimer

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
WoW!
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Holy crap I missed this. Wow that sucks.

Unless of course you wanted a chance for a "do over".

Let's hope they don't find it!
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
I thought all the new bikes had immobilizers? If so, it would have taken a pretty sophisticated thief to start that sucker.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
Thanks man.  No, I'd be overjoyed if they find it in one piece.  Like many things, you don't realize how much you liked it til it's gone.

It's funny (in a non funny sort of way):  I was so chuffed that I'd managed to fix her up myself (yeah, yeah:changing some lead wires and doing an oil change. But it was a real feeling of accomplishment for me) and *bam*.  But that's life sometimes too.  Perspective is a good thing.  It truly is just a bike and we could be living in Houston and be having some real problems.  At least that's what I tell myself when I'm feeling particularly sucky about it. :p

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
Re: V7 Special: stuck in hot traffic jam for a looooong time. Now not running well
« Reply #100 on: September 03, 2017, 10:23:07 AM »
I thought all the new bikes had immobilizers? If so, it would have taken a pretty sophisticated thief to start that sucker.

Dunno.  The really stupid thing is I may have left the key in it.  (Yes, you can't say anything that I haven't already said to myself).  I'd been changing the oil and filter.  Took it out for a ride around the block.  Saw it had a leak.  Hopped off, grabbed my wrench to tighten the bolt, checked the oil, decided I needed to add some more before I tested it again so off to OReillys I went... and I think I might have left the key in it.  I can't find the 2nd key in my gear.  Immeasurably horribly stupid.  And piss poor timing.  When I got back my bike was gone and some Honda Shadow sat where it had been.  It had been hotwired (not sure what year it was) and was dead by the time the owner came to pick it up.  He was still happy to see it though.

Offline SportsterDoc

• Gosling
Re: V7 Special: stuck in hot traffic jam for a looooong time. Now not running well
« Reply #101 on: September 03, 2017, 10:44:07 AM »
I thought all the new bikes had immobilizers?

My 2016 V7 II Stone does not.
The key on the ring is an Ilco from a locksmith.
It is my backup key, as the one with the rubber head goes in my watch pocket

23 V7-850 23 Yam XT250 18 Yam Bolt  22 Triumph St Twin  20 CanAm Ryker 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yam XT250 16 MG V7II 17 Yam TW200 12 Triumph Bonnie 02 Sportster 1200S 03 Sportster XLH883 76 Honda 750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yam CT1 72 Yam CT2 72 Yam AT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda C11

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #102 on: September 03, 2017, 12:31:50 PM »
From rodekyll:
The guy should be chained to a bike rack in downtown Houston for a week.

Maybe even below the flood line. :evil:
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #103 on: September 03, 2017, 02:08:39 PM »
From rodekyll:
Maybe even below the flood line. :evil:
GliderJohn

That was the point. 

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #104 on: September 03, 2017, 02:45:24 PM »
So Rhodan.....What new bike?   :popcorn:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline oldlegs

• New Egg
« Reply #105 on: September 03, 2017, 03:38:00 PM »
Rhodan, I feel for your loss, maybe you should not tell your insurance company you left the key in, due care and all that. Steve.

Offline KiwiKev

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #106 on: September 03, 2017, 04:02:55 PM »
What a bummer !! Good work on fixing it up for the Ahole who nicked it.

Yeh I'd keep quiet about the key for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
« Reply #107 on: September 03, 2017, 05:19:11 PM »
Thanks for the bloodthirstiness guys.  :laugh:    Having said that, I knew what we were getting into when we moved into the city proper.  My car insurance almost doubled overnight for example.  It's not that this is an unsafe area....but it's the city.  We lock things.  We lock doors.  Stuff goes a-wanderin' otherwise.  Every once in a while we get distracted and forget.  Thankfully (knocking on wood) it hasn't come back to bite us.  Except maybe in this instance.  I will rush to say there are also a lot of very decent people around.  I've had my wallet returned with everything (including cash) fully intact for example.

And thanks for the key advice, I know you're looking out for my wallet and it's appreciated.  3 people I definitely never muck about with though:  police, insurance, and the IRS (tax department for those outside the US).  Hopefully I get some money back from insurance and if I don't, that's on me and I'll have to deal.

Two doo-dad's I'm thinking about getting for my next bike:  A disc lock that attaches to the rotor, and a GPS tracker.  Maybe similar to this.  https://www.amazon.com/Trace-Anti-Theft-Tracking-Device-Black/dp/B00GQ8WW4M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504476782&sr=8-1&keywords=Motorcycle+Gps+Tracking
I'd been thinking about a tracker for solo travels but it works if the bike is stolen too.

Tom:  I'm undecided at this point.  Waiting to hear how things are going to fall out here.

Oh, Kiwi Kev, I meant to say "Hello".  No, I don't know you but I have friends who used to live in Hamilton and now live on the Coromandel coast.  We went to visit a couple Christmases ago but the closest we got to Taupo was Rotorua.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #108 on: September 03, 2017, 05:56:53 PM »
Where are you located, did you say New York, as in Manhattan or one of the boroughs? Or am I thinking of someone else?
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
« Reply #109 on: September 03, 2017, 06:00:31 PM »
Someone else, I'm on the other coast in Seattle.

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
    • Borealbreeze Bernese Mountain Dogs
« Reply #110 on: September 03, 2017, 06:08:03 PM »
Had bikes existed in this era;
For him that steals, or borrows and does not return, a book from this owner, let it change into a serpent in his hand and rend him. Let him be struck with palsy and all his members blasted. Let him languish in pain crying out for mercy, and let there be no surcease to his agony till he sinks in dissolution. Let bookworms gnaw his entrails in token of the Worm that does not die, and when at last he goes to his final punishment, let the flames of Hell consume him forever. From the Monastery of San Pedro, Barcelona, a medieval curse against book thieves.
.... same for bike thieves.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 06:41:42 PM by Yukonica »
One may write one's destiny but the unknown delivers it.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #111 on: September 03, 2017, 06:23:26 PM »
Someone else, I'm on the other coast in Seattle.
Ha ha, never mind.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline KiwiKev

• Gaggle Mentor
V7 Special: stuck in hot traffic jam for a looooong time. Now not running well
« Reply #112 on: September 04, 2017, 05:09:04 AM »
Thanks for the bloodthirstiness guys.  :laugh:    Having said that, I knew what we were getting into when we moved into the city proper.  My car insurance almost doubled overnight for example.  It's not that this is an unsafe area....but it's the city.  We lock things.  We lock doors.  Stuff goes a-wanderin' otherwise.  Every once in a while we get distracted and forget.  Thankfully (knocking on wood) it hasn't come back to bite us.  Except maybe in this instance.  I will rush to say there are also a lot of very decent people around.  I've had my wallet returned with everything (including cash) fully intact for example.

And thanks for the key advice, I know you're looking out for my wallet and it's appreciated.  3 people I definitely never muck about with though:  police, insurance, and the IRS (tax department for those outside the US).  Hopefully I get some money back from insurance and if I don't, that's on me and I'll have to deal.

Two doo-dad's I'm thinking about getting for my next bike:  A disc lock that attaches to the rotor, and a GPS tracker.  Maybe similar to this.  https://www.amazon.com/Trace-Anti-Theft-Tracking-Device-Black/dp/B00GQ8WW4M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504476782&sr=8-1&keywords=Motorcycle+Gps+Tracking
I'd been thinking about a tracker for solo travels but it works if the bike is stolen too.

Tom:  I'm undecided at this point.  Waiting to hear how things are going to fall out here.

Oh, Kiwi Kev, I meant to say "Hello".  No, I don't know you but I have friends who used to live in Hamilton and now live on the Coromandel coast.  We went to visit a couple Christmases ago but the closest we got to Taupo was Rotorua.
Rotorua is about an hour away and Hamilton two as I guess you know

We lived in Auckland for many years and escaped to Taupo when I retired three years ago. Hate the traffic up there when we go back. One set of lights in Taupo and everything ten minutes or less away in town - bliss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 05:10:28 AM by KiwiKev »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here