Author Topic: Tell me about a 2007 Griso  (Read 21431 times)

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
Tell me about a 2007 Griso
« on: September 04, 2017, 04:33:15 PM »
I expect this is a 2 valve motor, anything to be aware of this model?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 11:39:42 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Tell me about a 2007 Grisso
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 04:52:26 PM »
I expect this is a 2 valve motor, anything to be aware of this model?
Yes, you'll get old trying to wear it out !
Imagine the oil pump could do with a check.

pete roper

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 05:03:51 PM »
Haven't heard of any Grisos with the oil pump problem but I'm not certain at which point the pump design changed, it was certainly late in the 2V 1100 production so it might post date 2007.

Other than that? Just make sure the throttle stop screw hasn't been mollested and replace the rocker cover gaskets with the Valpolini type. By now it could probably do with having its throttle bodies thoroughly cleaned, especially if the previous owner was one of those people who insist on keeping the oil level at he full mark on the dipstick. Unless done earlier the swingarm bearings and shock linkage bearings will probably be shot. That's basically it though.

Yes, they benefit from a map but the later 1100 maps were tollerable. Make sure it doesn't have an aftermarket air filter and go ride.

Pete

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 06:09:19 PM »
My 1st Guzzi was a 2007 Griso I bought as a new leftover in 2011 for a song. I loved the power delivery of the 2 valve 1100 motor but it has fueling issues. Basically lots of pinging when you roll on the throttle. To correct the fueling issue was very expensive. Its also a gas hog. At 125 miles you better start looking for gas and by 140 miles you better be at a gas station. Fun bike but ultimately to big for a city bike and too limited fuel range to tour on.

Personally I'd not own a 4 valve Guzzi I'd buy another 2V Griso as a 4th or 5th string play bike if it was really priced to sell.   

2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 06:09:19 PM »

pete roper

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 06:39:50 PM »
My 1st Guzzi was a 2007 Griso I bought as a new leftover in 2011 for a song. I loved the power delivery of the 2 valve 1100 motor but it has fueling issues. Basically lots of pinging when you roll on the throttle. To correct the fueling issue was very expensive. Its also a gas hog. At 125 miles you better start looking for gas and by 140 miles you better be at a gas station. Fun bike but ultimately to big for a city bike and too limited fuel range to tour on.

Personally I'd not own a 4 valve Guzzi I'd buy another 2V Griso as a 4th or 5th string play bike if it was really priced to sell.

Sounds to me like someone played about with the throttle stop screw r otherwise buggered about with stuff they didn't understand. Detonation and high fuel consumption were never an issue on my 1100 or any of the others I've dealt with. 22-25km/l in everyday riding. Yours didn't have a silly air filter and open pipes did it? I hope the end sollution dibnt involve a power commander and drowning it in fuel! That's the usual way of solving the problem if you don't know what you're doing!

Pete

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 07:00:13 PM »
Sounds to me like someone played about with the throttle stop screw r otherwise buggered about with stuff they didn't understand. Detonation and high fuel consumption were never an issue on my 1100 or any of the others I've dealt with. 22-25km/l in everyday riding. Yours didn't have a silly air filter and open pipes did it? I hope the end sollution dibnt involve a power commander and drowning it in fuel! That's the usual way of solving the problem if you don't know what you're doing!

Pete

The bike acted equally the same with a Termignoni or the stock caution cone and stock air filter. IDK who or why someone would have messed with the throttle stop screw as the bike was new albeit setting around for 4-1/2 years on a showroom floor before I bought it.

The solution for me wasn't a Power Commander, it was selling the bike and buying something different. I wasn't investing in a PC5, O2 modulator and custom map from Guzzi Tech for $1,100 to correct the fueling.
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline voncrump

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 07:32:12 PM »
All of the above, plus cracking of the exhaust junctions under the engine. Fuel hose popping off in the fuel tank and water in the dash assembly. A very good solid bike when sorted.
Cheers, voncrump
1996 1100 sport
2016 V711
1988  Lario ( long gone )
1982 V50111 (long gone)

pete roper

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 07:47:50 PM »
The bike acted equally the same with a Termignoni or the stock caution cone and stock air filter. IDK who or why someone would have messed with the throttle stop screw as the bike was new albeit setting around for 4-1/2 years on a showroom floor before I bought it.

The solution for me wasn't a Power Commander, it was selling the bike and buying something different. I wasn't investing in a PC5, O2 modulator and custom map from Guzzi Tech for $1,100 to correct the fueling.

Well yes, it was unfortunate you were gulled.

pete

Offline Caffeineo

• Guzzi B00b
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2017, 07:57:49 PM »
You most likely already know this but it has a sport bike riding position. I found the high pegs and low bars put a bit too much weight on my wrist and shoulders. Other than that it was a great running, fun bike.  :thumb:
2022 Moto Guzzi V85
2018 Husky 701
2023 Husky TX300

Offline alanp

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2017, 08:17:49 PM »
I had a 2007purchased from MI in Seattle.  It always ran perfectly, no fueling issue at all, no popping, and got about 45 mpg.  Never had a single issue with it in around 15,000 miles, but the leg position was a bit too cramped for me.  A fine bike.
Niwot, Colorado
'08 1200 Sport - Black
'16 V7II Stone - Black
Previous Guzzis
'07 Griso, '07 Norge, '03 California SS, '02 California SS, '02 V11 Lemans,  '83 Lemans III, '77 Lemans

Offline siabeid

• Hatchling
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2017, 08:38:54 PM »
     I have had a 2007 for about 5 years. I bought it with 1900 miles on it. It currently has about 16000 miles.  I love it. I put a ballabio fairing, Mana bars, heated grips, Corbin seat, 1" lower pegs and some Onur bar risers on it. I put a startus interuptus update and a Beetle map on it a few years back. It handles and stops great. I have had a couple sets of Michelin Pilot Road tires on it, but just put on a set of the new Dunlop Roadsmart 3 s. They are even better.  I have taken it on a few 1000 to 1500 mile round trips and it was great.
     I have had problems with it intermittently idling too high and went through the whole tb cleaning, tps reset routine a couple of times.  That seems to be heat related. It has been behaving itself this year even when it was over 100 out. The exhaust did crack in the midsection pipe, but a local welder put it back together and gusseted it for $20. The carc clunking can be annoying in urban traffic, but I don't do too much of that living in an unpopulated place.
     When I got it, I was hot to get a Tenni green 4 valve model. The insurance on the 4 valve is almost 3 times as much as the 2 valve and it would have had the flat tappet issue. A friend in town has a 4 valve Griso with roller tappets,  and it is waaaay faster when you want to accelerate hard. The 2 valve still moves right along, though, and is plenty fast for me.  It gets about 45 mpg on the road at 75 to 80 mph. The 4 valve gas mileage is a lot worse.
     I also have a v11 Lemans. I love the brutal, old school feeling and the fairing of the v11.The Griso is more comfortable and handles better, even with the long wheelbase. Compared to the v11 it is almost civilized.
     All in all, the 2 valve Griso is a great bike and currently there are some real bargains out there. If it has been well maintained, I don't think you can go wrong.

Simon Abeid
Kettle Falls, WA

Moto

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2017, 09:06:48 PM »
My experience mirrors AlanP's, over 26,000 miles.

I like the slightly tucked leg position, but overall this not a pure sport bike configuration -- the bars are higher and wider. Comfortable for 5'11" me, with short inseam.

One owner had the clutch slave cylinder mounting screws back out (somewhat expensive) and concluded that the factory installed screws with the wrong head design.

The kickstand pivot bolt nut can loosen up.

I put a conformal coating on my dash PCB to prevent moisture damage, but this not as big a problem as on the Breva.

It's quite a bike, and quite reliable. Let a test ride guide your decision.

Offline KiwiKev

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2017, 02:52:35 AM »
Yes, you'll get old trying to wear it out !
Imagine the oil pump could do with a check.
He's old already Huzo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2017, 03:40:56 AM »
He's old already Huzo

I hope to die before mine does. Same with my Toyota Hilux.
I haven't seen a 2 VPC Griso in the flesh.

Offline molly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2017, 03:52:24 AM »
I recently bought a 2007 1100 Griso and have had no regrets. Lower pegs for me make  a noticeable difference. The fueling is pretty good from standard but removing the air filter snorkel and switching off the lamdba sensor makes it even better without effecting the 45mpg fuel consumption.
If I had room in the garage I would buy another as a spare, they are that good.
Dave

Lincolnshire, U.K.

Griso 1100

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2017, 04:15:38 AM »
I recently bought a 2007 1100 Griso and have had no regrets. Lower pegs for me make  a noticeable difference. The fueling is pretty good from standard but removing the air filter snorkel and switching off the lamdba sensor makes it even better without effecting the 45mpg fuel consumption.
If I had room in the garage I would buy another as a spare, they are that good.
RED! Perchance???
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 08:27:24 PM by Huzo »

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2017, 04:59:46 AM »
Well yes, it was unfortunate you were gulled.

pete

Having no idea what "gulled" means I have no idea if I was or not. In any event I do not regret buying or selling the Griso. It was my introduction to the Moto Guzzi which lead me to buy 10 others. I still have a V7R and an 850T.  I want to sell both as I am stepping away from the brand for a while. I am not dissatisfied with brand they just aren't making or have made anything that suits my current riding needs, wants and desires. 
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline molly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2017, 05:46:18 AM »
RED! Perchance???

No black. Why do you ask?

Bit rusty on Ozzie slang but 'gulled' here in Blighty means shat on.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 05:48:55 AM by molly »
Dave

Lincolnshire, U.K.

Griso 1100

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2017, 10:43:59 AM »
No black. Why do you ask?

Bit rusty on Ozzie slang but 'gulled' here in Blighty means shat on.
I wanted an image to take to bed...
Red is beautiful, but once you've had black, you never, ummm....(something) :thumb:

Offline kirb

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2017, 11:04:13 AM »
Things to be aware of:
Service Note# 002-2007: fuel pump hose replacement. These should have been taken care of via recall, I think the dealer can look up your VIN.
Technical Note# 011-2006: Noisy gearbox at idle. From frame no. ZGULS00096M112690 to no. ZGULS00096M113440
Mine had this, never bothered me, never fixed it.

I had Knight Design work on a set of 1" lowering foot pegs back in 2010. They sell these and help quite a bit with leg room.

My bike had an early Mistral can with no DB killer.  GuzziDiag reader/writer allowed me to remove fuel at zero throttle position from 2k and up RPM to eliminate overrun popping. The other fueling seemed OK and it runs great.

Make sure the suspension is adjusted correctly...factory usually had the compression damping cranked WAY in which would feel much more punishing than it should be. Adjust properly and you can have a great handling bike.

I lowered the bike in the trees to the lowest mark which helped handling to my liking. This is described in the workshop manual as 'racing' or something like that.

Great bike, ride with no worries.

Moto

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2017, 11:08:09 AM »
Having no idea what "gulled" means I have no idea if I was or not.

"Gull" is in your dictionary, assuming you have one.

gull 2 |gəl|
verb [ with obj. ]
fool or deceive (someone): workers had been gulled into inflicting poverty and deprivation upon themselves.
noun
a person who is fooled or deceived.
ORIGIN late 16th cent.: of unknown origin.

(American Heritage Dictionary)

Moto

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2017, 12:32:38 PM »
Thanks for all the response, one listed on the local CL, a black one

Problem is I would have to thin the herd out a bit to make room for it.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline KiwiKev

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2017, 08:01:34 PM »
Thanks for all the response, one listed on the local CL, a black one

Problem is I would have to thin the herd out a bit to make room for it.
Just do it Roy it's been a while since you bought one.

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2017, 12:24:27 AM »
I had a 2007. Here's my experience in no particular order:

As mentioned by Moto, the Grimeca clutch slave housing is machined for flat head screw. Luigi installed flange heads. They back out, you lose all the fluid, and the clutch rod seizes in the case. Royal pain to tear everything apart.  If you are really unlucky, the rod can mess up the trans case. This is not unique to me. MPH has seen the same thing.

Swing arm bearings and drive shaft splines are dry. Rear suspension linkage needle bearings have barely sny grease. You would be wise to disassemble and lube all.

Bolt for kickstand fell out. You heard me. Almost lost the bike.

Snatchy, unpredictable throttle. NOT the cable adjustment (which would not hold position, even with loctite).

Have to replace the fuel filter in the tank. The tank will swell from ethanol and get stuck in the frame. The "quick disconnect" fuel line fitting is a POS and should be replaced.

I forget the rest. Sexy bike with nice suspension and a ridiculous riding position. The QC problems are inexcusable. I kept it a short time and never regretted selling it.

Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2017, 04:54:00 AM »
I had a 2007. Here's my experience in no particular order:

As mentioned by Moto, the Grimeca clutch slave housing is machined for flat head screw. Luigi installed flange heads. They back out, you lose all the fluid, and the clutch rod seizes in the case. Royal pain to tear everything apart.  If you are really unlucky, the rod can mess up the trans case. This is not unique to me. MPH has seen the same thing.

Swing arm bearings and drive shaft splines are dry. Rear suspension linkage needle bearings have barely sny grease. You would be wise to disassemble and lube all.

Bolt for kickstand fell out. You heard me. Almost lost the bike.

Snatchy, unpredictable throttle. NOT the cable adjustment (which would not hold position, even with loctite).

Have to replace the fuel filter in the tank. The tank will swell from ethanol and get stuck in the frame. The "quick disconnect" fuel line fitting is a POS and should be replaced.

I forget the rest. Sexy bike with nice suspension and a ridiculous riding position. The QC problems are inexcusable. I kept it a short time and never regretted selling it.

Pete will be along shortly to state his Griso never had any of these problems so they don't exist. IT seems you and I and many other Griso owners have been "gulled" on.
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

pete roper

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2017, 04:57:48 AM »
Nope, all bikes have some issues. I'd forgotten about the slave cylinder bolt issue that affected a few bikes in a comparatively short run.

As for being gulled? If you'd seen and understood the 'Sollution' you were sold for that absurd price I think you'd be pissed off too.

Pete

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2017, 05:48:27 AM »
Pete will be along shortly to state his Griso never had any of these problems so they don't exist. IT seems you and I and many other Griso owners have been "gulled" on.
The problems don't exist once you've gotten off your ass and done something about them...

pete roper

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2017, 06:47:30 AM »
Look, this doesn't need to turn into a pissing contest.

The Griso isn't for everybody, that's fine, but overall the CARC bikes, as long as they are tuned properly and their little idiocyncracies addressed are generally very, very reliable. The biggest issue with any of them if you exclude the 8V flat tappet fiasco is the swingarm bearings and shock linkages being short on grease.

Issues with fueling on the 1100's were comparatively minor as long as they were/are tuned properly and the throttle bodies haven't been buggered about with. Nowadays remapping is an open book but back in the day very expensive solutions that were, quite frankly, very poor were the order of the day. I too was gulled, I'm not proud or happy about it and just wish to save others from going down a fruitless and expensive path that may damage their engines, wastes fuel and increases pollution.

Thing is if you don't try one you'll never know. At the moment the CARC bikes remain the acme of true motorcycle *Development* from Guzzi. Their axing and replacement with a series of 'Cruisers' and the Smallblock line may make financial sense at the moment but it drives a stake into the heart of Guzzi's reputation for inovation and punching above their weight.

I'm always sorry to hear that people have has bad experiences but there is almost always a back-story that isn't known or never gets told. All I can suggest to the OP is try it. If he doesn't bond with it he can flip it. Remember as well that I see a LOT of CARC bikes, they are my main stock and trade. Most people will of only experienced one, their own, so their observations may not have such a catholic base as mine.

Pete

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2017, 08:06:06 AM »
The problems don't exist once you've gotten off your ass and done something about them...

So you'd have been willing to get off your ass and spend another $1,000+ to correct a factory issue on a new bike? Before you go into a diatribe about how inexpensively the fueling can now be corrected, during the time frame I owned my Griso to the best of my knowledge Todd Egan was the only one who had a fix and that fix was over $1,000.

Pete,

There is no back story with my 2007 Griso. I bought it new as a dealer leftover in 2011. I didn't mind the ergo's, I loved  the look, I liked the handling, I like the power. I liked the power delivery. I disliked like the fueling and range. I wasn't willing to spend almost 1/15 of the cost of the bike to correct the fueling and even then the fuel range was still limited. The two dislikes outweighed the likes so I rode the bike around for a while and then sold it for something different.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 08:18:23 AM by Perazzimx14 »
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2017, 01:49:20 PM »
So you'd have been willing to get off your ass and spend another $1,000+ to correct a factory issue on a new bike? Before you go into a diatribe about how inexpensively the fueling can now be corrected, during the time frame I owned my Griso to the best of my knowledge Todd Egan was the only one who had a fix and that fix was over $1,000.

Pete,

There is no back story with my 2007 Griso. I bought it new as a dealer leftover in 2011. I didn't mind the ergo's, I loved  the look, I liked the handling, I like the power. I liked the power delivery. I disliked like the fueling and range. I wasn't willing to spend almost 1/15 of the cost of the bike to correct the fueling and even then the fuel range was still limited. The two dislikes outweighed the likes so I rode the bike around for a while and then sold it for something different.
What you don't know is that yes, I fell for the power commander thing for that sort of money.
Threw the bastard in the bin (literally). Complete and total waste of money, but I stayed the course and got the perfect solution.
Anything else ?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 01:52:41 PM by Huzo »

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here