Author Topic: Better Bike Insurance Alternatives than GEICO?  (Read 6711 times)

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Better Bike Insurance Alternatives than GEICO?
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2017, 08:59:05 AM »
I have used Am. Family for years now. I have a homeowner, farm liability, umbrella, two M/Cs, a PU and a car policies. I could probably find somewhat less cost insurance elsewhere but over the years I have been very pleased with their customer service. They have always been prompt and fair.
Had a drunk soccer mon total my PU when it was parked, she had AmFam insurance and that went very well. Had a HS teacher on her cell phone pull out in front of me while on the T-3. I hit her passenger door, not hurt but front end of the T-3 was banged up. She was also with AmFam and considering my bike was 28 years old at the time and that they didn't even have Moto Guzzi in their database they worked out a deal with me that I was quite pleased with and the T-3 was restored with a little cash left in my pocket.
Over the years I have ha one fender bender that was my fault, two auto hail damage claims and a damaged roof from hail claim. Each time the experience and settlement were prompt and fair.
GuzziJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2017, 09:50:25 AM »
Markel has treated me good over the years with low rates.Where you live makes a big difference.

Tex

Offline Moto Fugazzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waiting on a sign from God, or a nod from hell.
    • Griso
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2017, 12:53:49 AM »
I've been with ANPAC for the past 20 years. They have a nice cashback program that if you don't make a claim after 3 years, they send you a check for 30% of the first years premium, then the 2nd year and 3rd year, etc. I had a claim in 2010, and they took care of me. I've been getting refund checks from them for many years, and the premiums are very similar to the other companies when I check every year when my insurance renews.
http://www.anpac.com
Ken
Ken
2004 V11 Cafe Sport
2009 V7C White
2007 Griso Black-Sold
1978 V50 II Blue-Sold

bpreynolds

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2017, 05:21:11 AM »
Leslie Kay’s.  Leslie Kay’s.  And Leslie Kay’s. 
https://lesliekays.com

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2017, 05:21:11 AM »

Offline BoatDoc

• New Egg
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2017, 09:23:57 AM »
Yes, it pays to shop around. I'm in the process of moving to CT and have a V7II, BMW R27 and X-Country. 35 years experience, no accidents. In the last three weeks I received quotes from Markel, Liberty Mutual, State Farm, Progressive, GEICO, and Allstate. 100/300/5 with comprehensive coverage. Quotes ranged from $411 at GEICO to $769 at State Farm.

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2017, 10:23:15 AM »
Only thing you can do is start shopping other insurers and see where you can get the best value for your money. We can all tell you where we are insured but that really does you no good other than giving you a name of an insurer to call.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2017, 11:19:22 AM »
I have nine motorcycles insured with GMAC/National General, liability only with moderate limits, for a figure so low I can't remember it...  like $300 or $400 per year for all combined.  I added an extra motorcycle recently and it was about $30/year.   I've used them for almost 30 years and have yet to make a claim, so I have no experience in that regard. 

https://www.gmacinsurance.com/products/motorcycle_cp_options.asp
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 11:21:41 AM by Tusayan »

Offline Bobbilljim

• Gosling
  • Eternal Student
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2017, 11:25:39 AM »
Progressive through USAA here too. I would probably use them even if I didnt have USAA.
Rob

"There's Guzzi Cheap, then there's Stupid cheap" - Fotoguzzi

1984 California II

Offline DaSwami

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2017, 08:20:52 PM »
Had Progressive for years with 4-8 bikes at any one time.  Like Lannis said, my rates crept up for years, so in Florida I had 6 bikes to insure and just on a whim tried Geico and they saved me $1000 a year.  So tried them on my four "cagers" vs Progressive and it saved me another $1000 a year.   I saved $2000 by switching to GEICO!

Screw Progressive.

Bonaventure

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2018, 10:36:14 AM »
UPDATE: 

Dairyland and Markle are coming in lowest and are with three dollars of each other.  Progressive is a complete joke, approximately double the annual rate quoted by Dairyland and Markle for same policy limits.

oldbike54

« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2018, 10:48:43 AM »
UPDATE: 

Dairyland and Markle are coming in lowest and are with three dollars of each other.  Progressive is a complete joke, approximately double the annual rate quoted by Dairyland and Markle for same policy limits.

Interesting . Rates vary state to state , Dairyland is unavailable in Oklahoma , and I've never seen a Markle agent , not sure if they insure here either . Progressive is cheaper here than any other company . Do yourself a favor and research their cancellation and payout policies .

Dusty

twowings

« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2018, 11:49:43 AM »
We have Progressive for homeowner's, cages, and bike...pretty good rates and some of the funniest bike insurance commercials...the one with the guy and his too-talkative wife meeting his biking buddy at the gas station is a classic!  :bow:

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2018, 12:16:16 PM »
UPDATE: 

I just got a quote for my Norge, Stelvio, and soon-to-be here Griso. Markel (who were good for me back when I lived in Minnesota) asked for $5000 a year. Yes, $5000+ a year. I have never had a moving violation in my life. I have had no claims for car or motorcycle in more than 10 years. As for credit ratings, my old statistics prof was the one who first told me 'correlation is not causation'.

My current Nationwide carrier wants only $1650 for the same (generous) coverage, and my $500 deductible has already disappeared because of my time with them. Foremost wanted about $1850 (including AARP discount). I run 50/100 with all the bells and whistles, since my bikes are my only transportation.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline arveno

• Gaggle Hero
    • ddleathers.com
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2018, 12:24:43 PM »
I used to have progressive ,

Now i have "ALL STATE " better coverage , a little bit less money . ( insured 6 bikes )

The plus for me is that their office is in town and i can talk to a real agent face to face.

yes i like old school stuff LOL

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2018, 01:20:19 PM »
................... and government!
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

oldbike54

« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2018, 01:36:20 PM »
 OK fellas , we are drifting into dangerous territory here .

Dusty

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2018, 01:40:46 PM »
OK fellas , we are drifting into dangerous territory here .

Dusty

You're right Dusty...both comments of mine now DELETED.. :wink:

More relevant to the topic, I have had ALLSTATE for >20 years..and they have been reasonable and fair with the few claims I have submitted. 

You can negotiate a better deal when you have all things under one roof - car / bikes / house / rental property.

However, as one other posted stated, you DO need to shop around and compare what's best for you...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 01:53:54 PM by JJ »
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline webmost

• Gosling
  • Safety Third
    • The Sotweed Factor
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2018, 01:46:16 PM »
Only thing you can do is start shopping other insurers and see where you can get the best value for your money. We can all tell you where we are insured but that really does you no good other than giving you a name of an insurer to call.

Eggs Ackley. The whole ball of wax melts drastically differently from one zip code to the next. No insurance thread ever makes any sense.
Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.

Bonaventure

« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2018, 02:41:49 PM »
I just got a quote for my Norge, Stelvio, and soon-to-be here Griso. Markel (who were good for me back when I lived in Minnesota) asked for $5000 a year. Yes, $5000+ a year. I have never had a moving violation in my life. I have had no claims for car or motorcycle in more than 10 years. As for credit ratings, my old statistics prof was the one who first told me 'correlation is not causation'.

My current Nationwide carrier wants only $1650 for the same (generous) coverage, and my $500 deductible has already disappeared because of my time with them. Foremost wanted about $1850 (including AARP discount). I run 50/100 with all the bells and whistles, since my bikes are my only transportation.

I am positively staggered by those costs. My homeowner's, automobile, AND  motorcycle are below that.  I am in Indiana.  Maybe the geographic location and or state drives costs up or down more than most people realize?

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2018, 03:34:49 PM »
I am positively staggered by those costs. My homeowner's, automobile, AND  motorcycle are below that.  I am in Indiana.  Maybe the geographic location and or state drives costs up or down more than most people realize?

Several factors, some reasonable, some not.

Motorcycle theft rates in Nevada, and specifically in Las Vegas, are completely insane. As a result, if you don't have a garage to store your bike you probably can't afford comprehensive (theft etc.) insurance at all. Insurance companies are gouging in Las Vegas by moving almost entirely to credit report indexing, which they claim gives them a good idea of risk. In fact, it doesn't, particularly in places that were worst hit by the recession. Areas where the percentage of motorists under- or un-insured are particularly high (Texas, Nevada, Louisiana, Mississippi) also have much higher rates for collision.

I use my bikes as primary transportation, so I insure them more in the way I would a car or truck. I could get substantially lower rates by moving to good liability with otherwise minimum coverage; if I used my bikes purely for recreation I might do that.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2018, 08:10:05 PM »
I have liability on 3 bikes with Progressive. 78 bucks twice a year, total.
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2018, 11:45:40 PM »
JMO, Progressive. $335 (Total, NOT each) for full coverage, agreed value on my 750, 850, EVT and R75. Not too happy though with my Harley full coverage and not agreed value $583. Now if I only do liability, it will be about $150 per year.

As long as my 4 bikes stay the same, I'll stick with them. I'll look for better rates for the HD when it comes time to renew.

Also, With their bikes rates good to me, I looked into my 2014 F150 with them. Full coverage was high. Went with AAA instead.

Tom
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 01:18:07 PM by Tom H »
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2018, 05:31:11 AM »
Yeah , Progressive , and my agent is cute and funny , heck , she knew what a Moto Guzzi is  :laugh:

Dusty

I have Progressive ,just liability on my bikes....the  agent at the hillbilly insurance office knew a Moto Guzzi or Ducati is a bike but she had no idea they are Italian...You know, two types of bikes, Japanese and Harley...

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here