Author Topic: V7 II Clutch Adjustment  (Read 6677 times)

Offline circlip

• Hatchling
  • It takes a big dog to weigh a ton.
V7 II Clutch Adjustment
« on: August 13, 2018, 06:00:36 PM »
I have a 2016 V7 II Stone that I bought used (it had 50 miles on it when I bought it). I've owned four previous Guzzis, but this is my first small block. I'm slowly breaking it in and its now up to 300 miles (too much work, family and bad weather).

Today I was out riding and realized that shifting was becoming very difficult. I nursed the bike home, pulled out the manual, went to adjust the cable at the handlebar and realized that the adjuster was pretty much all the way out. Since the manual pretends that there are no other adjustment points, I searched this forum and fond some posts about adjustment at the rear of the engine. It sounds like a PITA, but I figured that I could wade through it.

Here is the issue (other than it being a PITA), I can loosen the lock nut with a 13 mm box wrench, but I cannot get the center screw (which has the protruding rectangle) to move independently of the lock nut. I hesitate unscrewing the entire assembly (visions of spring and bearings shooting across my garage, never to be found again). Any suggestions? Shoot the nut assembly with WD40? I'm open to ideas.
2018 V7 III Milano
2021 KTM 390 Adventure

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: V7 II Clutch Adjustment
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 06:56:32 PM »
You have to screw in the adjuster at the bar all the way. You have to hold the lock nut as you screw the tab in.

I have a slotted piece of flatstock that fits right on. Same adjuster size as the rocker adjusters on a 2V bigblock.

1/4 turn would be max +
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 07:00:59 PM by guzzisteve »
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline circlip

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 07:06:11 PM »
Thanks.
I remember those rocker adjusters.
I wish I still had one.
I'll improvise.
2018 V7 III Milano
2021 KTM 390 Adventure

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 07:13:45 PM »
I used a die grinder on the end of a 3/4" X 1/8" , made a nice slot.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 07:13:45 PM »

Offline circlip

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 07:15:09 PM »
Thanks.
2018 V7 III Milano
2021 KTM 390 Adventure

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 07:19:19 PM »
I thought it would be easier on the II with the relocation to the side instead of behind the middle of the  Swingarm. Just keep track of the spring, tends to disappear without pressure.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline circlip

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 07:41:04 PM »
Mine is right in the middle of the swing arm.
Accessible, but barely.
2018 V7 III Milano
2021 KTM 390 Adventure

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 09:52:18 PM »
I don't want to panic you, but keep an eye on it. There were a number of V7II's assembled without the crankshaft thrust washer. The main symptom is the clutch runs out of adjustment as the crankshaft slowly migrates rearward in the block.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline MMRanch

• MMRanch
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Evil wins if Good Men do Nothing
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2018, 11:54:54 PM »
Kev. 

Is there a "Serial" number range of those with-out the thrush washer ?    I've got 7,000  miles now and there is a rattle at idle that goes away if I pull the clutch slightly … ?   Kind-of makes me wonder what the future holds ! …
2016 V7-II Stone
2022 Royal Enfield Meteor Stellar Blue

Offline TimmyTheHog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2018, 12:21:22 AM »
Kev. 

Is there a "Serial" number range of those with-out the thrush washer ?    I've got 7,000  miles now and there is a rattle at idle that goes away if I pull the clutch slightly … ?   Kind-of makes me wonder what the future holds ! …

I can’t comment on the serial range but that rattle at idle is normal UNLESS there are screeching/whining, and it goes away when the clutch is pulled (clutch disengagement)

Life isn't WHAT IS at the end.
It is HOW and WHAT you are doing to get there.

03 Honda Shadow Spirit - The Purple Beast (SOLD)
15 Guzz V7 Stone - The Red Chick (SOLD)
18 BMW R1200GS Rallye - The Blue Streak (SOLD)

Currently Bikeless...*cry*

Offline OlofE

• New Egg
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2018, 03:32:29 AM »
Sorry, I hate to say this but I have to agree with Kev, it sounds like it could be the thrust washer issue. I had a 2015 Racer which behaved similarly, excessive adjustment before the engine suddenly stoppd at 500 miles, no drama but crank jammed solid. No prior warning, it idled perfectly seconds before. No rattles (idle rattle is normal on all models). The dealer put in a complete new engine on warranty.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2018, 05:56:21 AM »
Kev. 

Todd at Guzzitech was trying to compile an informal list so you might check there.

I don't know if Piaggio has a list (or if they do I've never seen it shared).

But at 7k miles I cannot fathom you having that problem. There's no way a motor would last that long without the crank eating the block if that thrust washer was missing.

Edit- ps the sound you have is normal.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 05:57:15 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline jpv7

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2018, 10:16:37 PM »
Seemed to predominantly affect Stones, although i thought i heard about a Racer being affected...maybe the Stones were built first? ...

My V7ii Special was adjusted on my first ride, and i haven't really touched it in 18,0000 km. 

Offline MMRanch

• MMRanch
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Evil wins if Good Men do Nothing
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2018, 10:31:20 PM »
Thanks guys !

Yea , it just a hundred miles short of 8,000 miles and I've got a group ride going on Saturday.  :smiley:

……………………………….

circlip  , I hope your ends well .   I did readjust mine shortly after getting it new , Its could be "cable-stretch" , all new cables do it !  :huh:

2016 V7-II Stone
2022 Royal Enfield Meteor Stellar Blue

Offline circlip

• Hatchling
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2018, 12:22:31 PM »
Well, I went on the GuzziTech forum and now I'm nervous. There is no official list of affected VIN's, but there is an informal list over there and my VIN fits in with the reported group. The list is vaguely consecutive, so there is lots of possible interpretive wiggle room.

Since I have a local dealer, I'm going to let them look at the bike and adjust the clutch. Hopefully it is just a stretched cable, as suggested by MMRanch. Because if it is not...I bought it used and I doubt that Piaggio will give me a new motor.
2018 V7 III Milano
2021 KTM 390 Adventure

Offline TimmyTheHog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2018, 12:36:26 PM »
Well, I went on the GuzziTech forum and now I'm nervous. There is no official list of affected VIN's, but there is an informal list over there and my VIN fits in with the reported group. The list is vaguely consecutive, so there is lots of possible interpretive wiggle room.

Since I have a local dealer, I'm going to let them look at the bike and adjust the clutch. Hopefully it is just a stretched cable, as suggested by MMRanch. Because if it is not...I bought it used and I doubt that Piaggio will give me a new motor.

I know it’s a long shot but is it still under warranty?

Offline circlip

• Hatchling
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2018, 04:53:40 PM »
I bought it used, in February 2018, with about 50 miles on the odometer. Now it has only 300 miles.
Today my local dealer ran the VIN through the Piaggio database and came up with a purchase date of October 28, 2016.
It's a nice thought, but I'm probably out of luck there.
We shall see.
2018 V7 III Milano
2021 KTM 390 Adventure

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2018, 05:27:50 PM »
Cable stretch, if you had a problem motor it would slow up in rpm w/clutch is pulled in. Don't join in the madness, nothing wrong.

Offline TimmyTheHog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2018, 05:32:21 PM »
I bought it used, in February 2018, with about 50 miles on the odometer. Now it has only 300 miles.
Today my local dealer ran the VIN through the Piaggio database and came up with a purchase date of October 28, 2016.
It's a nice thought, but I'm probably out of luck there.
We shall see.

I believe every V7 and V7ii have transferable 2 years warranty. Not sure about V7iii.

From your purchase date of 2016, I think you MIGHT still within warranty period.

If that�s the case, push for it and don�t take no for answer.

Online Matteo

• Alaska Guzzi's on Facebook
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Make me an offer I can't refuse!
    • https://squareup.com/store/doubleshovelciderco
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2018, 06:40:03 PM »
I believe every V7 and V7ii have transferable 2 years warranty. Not sure about V7iii.

From your purchase date of 2016, I think you MIGHT still within warranty period.

If that�s the case, push for it and don�t take no for answer.
Timmy's right, you have till Oct 28th to make a warranty claim.
66 Stornello Scrambler,77 Lemans,80 CX100,16 V7II,21 V85TT Centenario
Gone to new homes: 84 LM3, 82 1000SP, 00 V11Sport, 84 V50III, 84V65, 00 Jackal, 07 Norge

Offline circlip

• Hatchling
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2018, 07:05:19 PM »
I am hoping that I'm getting myself all riled up for no reason and it is just cable stretch. But it will bug me, so I will let the dealer have his way with the little V7. It's a fun motorcycle. Not quite as interesting as a Morini 3 1/2 (I'm not letting the 20 years since I owned a Morini cloud my memories) but way more interesting than an air cooled Hinckley Bonneville.

As far as warranty, is it transferable to the second owner?
2018 V7 III Milano
2021 KTM 390 Adventure

Offline TimmyTheHog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2018, 07:38:05 PM »
I am hoping that I'm getting myself all riled up for no reason and it is just cable stretch. But it will bug me, so I will let the dealer have his way with the little V7. It's a fun motorcycle. Not quite as interesting as a Morini 3 1/2 (I'm not letting the 20 years since I owned a Morini cloud my memories) but way more interesting than an air cooled Hinckley Bonneville.

As far as warranty, is it transferable to the second owner?

Unless they changed the warranty policy, it was transferable for me and my friend who both are used owners.

I have 2015 V7 Stone (leaky alternator cover & gasket) and he has 2016 V7ii racer (his abs was recalled and his rear final drive was leaking due to failed seal, thought it was overfilled)

Have it checked out and if nothing wrong, Great. But if they find something (or missing), do not back down if they hesitate to do the warranty job.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 07:45:42 PM by TimmyTheHog »

Offline circlip

• Hatchling
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2018, 08:57:35 PM »
Thanks!
2018 V7 III Milano
2021 KTM 390 Adventure

Offline mechanicsavant

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2018, 07:05:12 AM »
While I've not had a clutch adjustment issue yet(touch wood) I was bothered by the amount of road dirt thrown on to the clutch release arm even after a short ride. so I fabbed a small mud flap to go @ the front edge of the rear fender. I used a piece of rubber roofing material ,about 7x3 1/2 in. Punched two holes in it to line up with fendermount fastners & two plastic washers. It fills the gap between fender & swing arm. Church arm now stays much cleaner .I'd post a pic if I wasn't such a ludite !

Offline asaleo

• New Egg
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2018, 02:08:50 PM »
I load my picture of the clutch lever protection then.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2018, 03:07:42 PM »
Cable stretch, if you had a problem motor it would slow up in rpm w/clutch is pulled in. Don't join in the madness, nothing wrong.

I know you're a retired pro but that sounds like way more stretch than should be seen on a new bike. And you're right it should show up in the idle, EVENTUALLY, but not until it has taken up all the clutch adjustment range.

And if his VIN fits in the range there's a strong possibility since I'm under the impression it happened to a bunch built at the same time.

He's at the right mileage for it to surface too.

But yeah, it should be warranty if it's the case. No question.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 03:09:37 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline circlip

• Hatchling
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2018, 08:43:57 PM »
Since I haven't had a catastrophic failure, I'm not sure how the dealer assesses the thrust bearings or lack there-of. But it goes in on Saturday morning but I get the impression that they might have it for a week or so (my local Triumph dealer is much more specific about repairs, durations, etc.). I will get more details when I drop it off.

Somehow I feel like I'm going to wish that I had a second bike.
2018 V7 III Milano
2021 KTM 390 Adventure

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2018, 09:06:55 PM »
Since I haven't had a catastrophic failure, I'm not sure how the dealer assesses the thrust bearings or lack there-of. But it goes in on Saturday morning but I get the impression that they might have it for a week or so (my local Triumph dealer is much more specific about repairs, durations, etc.). I will get more details when I drop it off.

Somehow I feel like I'm going to wish that I had a second bike.
IIRC there's a Service Bulletin from Piaggio with a specific procedure with which they can measure crankshaft longitudinal freeplay.

However if there's still adjustment left in the lower arm they may not be at the point yet.

Let them handle... Don't sweat it, worse case scenario you'll get a new motor. Best case scenario it was just a little cable stretch.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline circlip

• Hatchling
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2018, 09:14:11 PM »
Actually, worst case scenario will probably a new engine and a second, inexpensive motorcycle to get me thru the rest of the year.

But whatever happens, it's an adventure and will make a good story.

Everyone - thanks for your help and encouragement.
2018 V7 III Milano
2021 KTM 390 Adventure

Offline OlofE

• New Egg
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2018, 12:22:11 AM »
On cable stretch - I've been involved in the running in of a string of V7ii and two V7iii (my own bikes an a couple of friends) and none of them have stretched beyond 1/2-1 turn on the lever adjustment (on the handlebar) and that happened within the first 120 miles (200 km). The failing bike on the other hand just kept needing more until it ran out of adjustment. It idled perfectly until it died, also on the clutch. Maybe I noted a slight drop in revs (50-100 rpm) but that might as well be a hindsight construction on my part.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here