Author Topic: Oxford heated grips  (Read 1266 times)

Offline BRG-BIRD

• Hatchling
Oxford heated grips
« on: April 12, 2021, 09:57:05 PM »
I have ordered Oxford heated grips and am looking for information and thoughts, they will go on a 2009 Moto Guzzi Norge. I understand the Oxford grips will draw twice the amount of amps per grip, 2 amps vs 1. Would you be comfortable running the grips with the factory switch which supplies power through the dash.

I have read that quite a few people have run aftermarket heated grips this way including on the Stelvio models. Anyone have issues after? Should I just use the Oxford controller with a relay? Open to all thoughts and opinions.

Mark

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Oxford heated grips
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 11:11:17 PM »
I'd be surprised if the dash outputs are rated less than 2 Amps. If anything happens you can always use the Oxford controller in its place.
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Online egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 01:52:53 AM »
Personally, I would avoid trying to integrate them into the OEM wiring. Overloading the circuit could cause all sorts of unintended consequences.

I use the Oxford headed grip wraps with the provided, fused harness. I would expect you'd do the same with the grips which I believe come with a multi-position controller. Maybe not as neat but will work w/o issue.
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 05:46:27 AM »
If you are worried about overloading the circuit use the dash output to drive a relay coil, the relay contacts to power the grips, that's what relays are made for.
Heater controls are On/Off over a fixed time period.
The typical relay Guzzi use will only draw 150 milliamps for the coil but the contacts can switch 60 Amps or more inrush, this one will handle 30 Amps all day.
The old Bosch cube relays have a mounting tab and you don't need a relay base, just spade connectors.
https://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/xlarge/bch-0332209150_xl.jpg
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 05:50:40 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 05:46:27 AM »

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 12:04:25 PM »
I've got the Oxfords with the 'smart' controller on two of my bikes (Stornello and 1200 Sport), and find them excellent and low draw based on my volt meter.  My concern with direct wiring to the Norge factory switch would be overloading, but you could use it to trigger a relay, but as the Oxford has a very nice controller with 4-5 heat settings, I would find a place to mount the controller and call it done.
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 12:42:45 PM »
I also installed the Oxford heated grips on my 1200 sport five years ago. I mounted  the oxford controller and wiring And have had no problems with them. They have worked great with the five heat settings. After 4 years of use, the clutch side grip was showing considerable wear. I was able to go online and order another left grip with wiring and installed it. I love those heated grips!
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 01:48:36 PM »
I installed a pair on my Griso,and love them. The wiring/ controller they come with is all very high quality,and works flawlessly. I plan to add a pair to my Ural next.
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2021, 01:50:01 PM »
I installed a pair on my Griso,and love them. The wiring/ controller they come with is all very high quality,and works flawlessly. I plan to add a pair to my Ural next.You can go straight from the battery, or do what Roy suggests, either way the should work fine.
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline BRG-BIRD

• Hatchling
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2021, 09:53:03 PM »
Thank you all for your thoughts. I did talk to my dealer and they did not recommend running more amps through the dash. I really wanted a cleaner more integrated install but I do not want to buy a dash either. Thank you again

Mark

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2021, 03:20:09 PM »
Thank you all for your thoughts. I did talk to my dealer and they did not recommend running more amps through the dash. I really wanted a cleaner more integrated install but I do not want to buy a dash either. Thank you again

Mark

Replace your headlight with an LED one, and then use the unused amperage to provide the source of current for the heated grips.

Offline BRG-BIRD

• Hatchling
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2021, 06:58:25 AM »
So I emailed CARMO the question of running the Oxford grips through the dash controller, this is their response: The components which are responsible for the heaters have a limit of 3.9A.
So, it is on the edge.
I wouldn’t recommend the aftermarkets.

Regards,
Koen

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here