Author Topic: V7III Throttle Cables  (Read 564 times)

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
V7III Throttle Cables
« on: January 22, 2022, 07:32:17 AM »
I was shocked to find the return throttle cable rusted through in 3 places.
Water had sneaked down the steel core and rusted it right through in a low spot under the tank

I stripped the outer jacket off and cut the cable into short pieces with the Dremmel

Although I pre-lubed the replacement in hindsight the inner wire is still not oiled, the Nylon sheath prevents that.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 07:38:42 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Online Beowulf

• Gosling
Re: V7III Throttle Cables
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2022, 09:55:48 AM »
Man thanks for posting. I seem have run in to problems with my throttle cable. Sure you seen my post will report back. Had no idea that could happen this soon.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
Re: V7III Throttle Cables
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2022, 08:57:57 AM »
Bump,
I didn't think this post got the attention it should have, My V7 has been kept in a warm garage all its life although I don't hesitate to ride in the rain.
I'm sure there are hundreds of cables out there quietly turning to rust. I was lucky the return cable broke first and I was able to carry on riding with just one while I waited on a new pair from Italy >$100 for the pair with a discount. In hind site I think I should have oiled these OEM cables by making a hole through the Nylon sheath and wicking a light oil through the steel strands, protected against rust the cables should last the life of the bike.
For what its worth I think this is the result of sourcing parts from the lowest bidder, they never thought it through.
----------
I made a pair of replacement cables from stock using the old outer end fittings and screw on nipples these were well lubed with engine oil, hopefully I will never have to instal these.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 10:36:40 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here