Author Topic: Stelvio 'P0351 to low' error  (Read 1887 times)

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
Stelvio 'P0351 to low' error
« on: November 22, 2017, 06:37:05 PM »
Yes, Guzzidiag says it's to low.  :laugh:

Best as I can figure out from a manual for a different year of the bike, this is a problem with the left coil (or maybe the right one, who knows). However, the bike starts and runs properly, albeit with a red triangle on the dash and a big SERVICE covering the lower part. I just finished doing a whole whack of wiring work but didn't touch the coils or their wiring either side. It is possible I pulled the harness in a nasty way somehow, so as soon as the bike cools off a bit I'll try re-seating everything.  I'll also try checking the connector on the back of the dash, though I haven't seen any other issues. All the wiring I added is isolated from the factory wiring to the greatest degree possible.

After I finished by modifications, I rode the bike about 45 minutes before this started - no errors or stumbling or anything up to that point, and the bike ran on the way home.

Anybody had this happen, or have any idea why it would suddenly sprout up?
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
Re: Stelvio 'P0351 to low' error
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 09:11:01 PM »
Try raising the P0351 an inch or two and see if the error goes away.   :boozing:

That's a pretty generic OBDII code for being unhappy with a coil.  It covers a lot of products and a lot of problems, and not real specifically.  My book suggests these causes:

1 Faulty spark plugs or plug wiring
2 Defective ignition coil
3 Failed or failing ECU
4 Open or short in the coil wiring harness
5 Electrical connection that is poor

Not necessarily in that order.

Based on recent history I'll bank on a poor connection/wiring issue.  You MIGHT be able to isolate it by unplugging one coil and then the other, checking back with guzzidiag each time to see if the error changes.  Otherwise, you strategy seems sound.

Wait -- what was the question again?

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 12:01:13 AM »
Well, I did a bunch of obvious troubleshooting steps, one after another changing one thing at a time and then checking. Eventually I swapped the coils left to right and the problem went away. It didn't change sides, it just went away.

I hate stuff like that.
ITSecurity
2008 Norge GT - Silver

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 02:06:45 AM »
You bored it to death.  Sometimes you don't get closure-- you just have to settle for the win.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 02:06:45 AM »

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 03:10:12 AM »
Well, the error showed up again yesterday, and it was on the same side of the engine even though I has swapped the coils. That seems to indicate that the issue is most likely in the spark plug wires or in the coil feed wires. The previous owner told me the spark plug caps had been changed to the usual NGK solution, but there's no telling is the left side wire (where the error reports) was actually long enough, since that's a frequently reported matter. It may have seemed so but been under some strain.

So, my next step is that the next time I have reason to touch this stuff, I think I'll replace the spark plug wires on both sides (with the appropriate caps) and then check and clean the wiring to the coils from the harness.

Has anyone got the spec for the spark plug wire connectors at the coil end? I'm thinking of just making some new ones myself. Haven't done this for a Guzzi, just for some old cars I've worked on, so I don't know if there's any difference from what I'm familiar with...
ITSecurity
2008 Norge GT - Silver

Offline redhawk47

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Traveler
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 11:27:05 PM »
FWIW - A common problem with Stelvios is the plug wire working its way out of the coil. On my Stelvio there were zipties on the boot at the coil. If the plug wire is pushed home in the coil and the ziptie is done without making sure the boot is in the relaxed state....the boot can pull the wire partially out of the coil.
Dan
2021 V85TT Centenario, 2016 V7II Stone, CSC TT250, Gone:KLR, CSC RX3,

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 11:02:36 AM »
FWIW - A common problem with Stelvios is the plug wire working its way out of the coil. On my Stelvio there were zipties on the boot at the coil. If the plug wire is pushed home in the coil and the ziptie is done without making sure the boot is in the relaxed state....the boot can pull the wire partially out of the coil.

Thanks - worth checking. Wouldn't this have been common to other 8v machines since they all use the same coils and such? Or are the Stelvio wires run differently, putting them under strain?
ITSecurity
2008 Norge GT - Silver

Offline Spuddy

• Gaggle Hero
  • Best Thing About A Mind Is Being Able To Change It
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 10:23:02 AM »
Lola ('13 Stelvio) had a "Service" warning on the dash last fall. It ran fine but I began to worry since it wouldn't go away. So I trucked it 600 miles back to Moto International for diagnosis. No particular codes came up but they discovered an intermittent ground with voltage loss. After pulling it apart for a couple of hours and no success - I left it there until our family was going to return to Seattle for Thanksgiving.  During the interim, MI was working with Piagio to diagnose the Service warning.

By Thanksgiving, the Good news was that it was working and running fine. The Bad news was that MI and Piago didn't know why. Best guess was corossion or moisture in one of the wiring connectors and the process of disconnecting and re connecting a few times cleared it up.

Since I just put the battery charger on Lola and garaged her for the winter, I don't know if the problem is finally resolved.  But isn't "finally resolved" an oxymoron with Italian machines?

Spud

'13 Stelvio NTX
'07 California Vintage
'01 W650
'00 Quota 1100ES + Ural

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here