Author Topic: Tires - I live in fear of the Luddites.....  (Read 4956 times)

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Tires - I live in fear of the Luddites.....
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2019, 01:10:51 PM »
The quality of the (Korean made) Shinkos is equal to if not better than many "name brand" (made in Brazil, China and ahem... Korea) tires in my experience.
Remember when I was labelled a racist for mentioning Asian countries in a tyre discussion ? Perhaps I should change my last name..
Also.
I find it funny that some guys will lose thousands of bucks on a new bike purchase because they buy new, only to sell it a year later because the thing has some perceived deficiency that they missed on the “test ride”.
Yet will gamble their life to save a couple of lousy bob on cheap tyres..
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 01:17:35 PM by Huzo »

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2019, 02:31:51 PM »
There are "cheap tires" and there are "low cost, high quality tires". Not the same thing.
Charlie

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2019, 02:39:13 PM »
There are "cheap tires" and there are "low cost, high quality tires". Not the same thing.
The name just sounds...
Like garbage.

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2019, 02:52:04 PM »
"In 1998 the Shinko Group purchased the motorcycle tire technology and molds from Yokohama Rubber Co., and began production..."  Then call them Yokohama tires, since that's really what they are.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2019, 02:52:04 PM »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2019, 03:42:49 PM »
"In 1998 the Shinko Group purchased the motorcycle tire technology and molds from Yokohama Rubber Co., and began production..."  Then call them Yokohama tires, since that's really what they are.
That doesn’t exactly fill me with confidence either.

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2019, 04:34:47 PM »
Yokohama used to make top racing tires. I don't consider Shinkos inferior in any way. Of course I have only used their knobbies, 705 and Ravin 009 tires.
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Offline kirby1923

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '81 CX100
  • Location: SoCal (rural) near Tehachapi CA, Rogers AR when in the states other times GMT+1 thu +6
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2019, 05:33:17 PM »
Since I discovered Shinko I have been thru at least 20 sets of 009 ravens 120/70 170/60 180/55 on the beemer and 4 sets of their track tires the verge11.
Can't falt them, they do good in the wet and I have actually tracked the 009 and for a modest hp to the rear they are great. If you have a powerful sport machine you can get into trouble spinning them up on corner exit.I have also used the 705 (very good) and the712s also good.

Yokohama Rubber Co makes a sh_t pot load of heavy truck tires and are well respected in that use. Its an old and top of the line tire company and the Koreans are famous for their manufacturing quality.

A pair of 009 for the beemer $170 delivered (120/70 180/55) If your smooth on the throttle and general riding I have had them  go 7K/8K on the rear and 50% higher on a front.(or more)
Good round profile quite neutral.

I am not recommending them as tire selection goes on experience w/the brand and is VERY subjective and depends a lot on how you use them.

Having said all of this please don't buy them...trying to keep the price down!     

I
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 06:59:12 PM by kirby1923 »
'81 CX100

A calm and modest life brings more happiness than the constant pursuit of success combined with constant restlessness.. Einstein,A

oldbike54

« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2019, 06:02:14 PM »

Then we need to call about half of the Dunlop models Sumitomos , because that's what they really are .

Good grief fellas , give it a rest , or better yet , come to the Okie and follow Kirby and me down the Talimena drive on our cheap Shinko shod motorbikes , I'll bet ya 20 bucks you won't keep up  :thumb:

Dusty

Offline tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2019, 06:33:15 PM »
I am old enough to remember when Made in Japan was considered inferior and cheap.  Then it morphed into being a quality product if it came from the island nation.  Then of course next came China and Korea.  Checked out the quality of Kia's and Hyundai's lately.  10 year/100,000 mile warranty is a pretty strong statement on your product.  Pay attention for a day how many you see on the road.  Whether it is tires, gear lube, spark plugs, etc. people all have an opinion and it simply that, an opinion.  Most riders don't use their machines within 70% of the bikes  capability, whether street or off road.   I agree with a prior thread, big difference between cheap and inexpensive.  If you want designer clothes and sunglasses, by all means spend your money and feel good about your purchase.  But raggin' on Shinko's because the name is no longer a  "Japanese Yokohama  tire is in my opinion, rather short sighted.  See how the opinion word keeps popping up?

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2019, 07:26:33 PM »
  come to the Okie and follow Kirby and me down the Talimena drive on our cheap Shinko shod motorbikes , I'll bet ya 20 bucks you won't keep up  :thumb:

Dusty
Hmmm???

Offline Brand X

• Gosling
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2019, 12:39:11 PM »

That is what I have found.. :thumb: I probably will not put them(Shinko) on my Tuono, only because some other brands have a few more modern features I like..

https://www.americanmototire.com/street-cruiser-touring/bridgestone-battlax-s22-120-70zr-17-58w-rear-11449-mc.html
https://www.americanmototire.com/street-cruiser-touring/bridgestone-battlax-s22-180-55zr-17-73w-rear-11450-mc.html

$236.91

https://www.americanmototire.com/street-cruiser-touring/shinko-003-stealth-120-70zr-17-58w-front-radial-87-4001-mc.html
https://www.americanmototire.com/street-cruiser-touring/shinko-003-stealth-180-55zr-17-73w-rear-radial-87-4007-mc.html
$182.42

You have to run the $$$ and see what might be best for your application. 

About $27.25 per tire difference, Between  low cost/very good quality, and higher cost/ excellent quality tires.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 12:53:54 PM by Brand X »

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2019, 03:39:56 PM »
I not only mix brands on my CX, I often run a radial on the rear and a bias on the front.

What me worry?

:-)

Along with me. All good. :thumb:
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Gusable

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2019, 11:00:55 AM »
I agree.. y’all don’t buy any Shinko tires... let’s keep the cost down for us few! Lol
1994 California 1100

Offline MMRanch

• MMRanch
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Evil wins if Good Men do Nothing
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2019, 01:50:36 PM »
Gusable

If you don't mind me asking :   How many miles did you get out of you Commander II ?
2016 V7-II Stone
2022 Royal Enfield Meteor Stellar Blue

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2019, 02:12:19 PM »
I've been very happy with Shinko 712s on the T and the Mille. I'm not cutting-edge anything, but once in a blue moon I scrape the pegs and the tires are NOT the limiting factor. Bear in mind these bikes weight 530 lb and get away with 35mm forks.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here