Author Topic: Help! Dreaded red triangle on 2014 1400 tourer  (Read 3348 times)

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
Help! Dreaded red triangle on 2014 1400 tourer
« on: July 06, 2019, 12:39:15 PM »
Hey guys, I need some advice or hopefully just info. Every now and then, not the norm, when I turn the switch on the 1400 and the system goes through it’s checks, the red triangle will stay on. It starts fine and sometimes the triangle will remain on but it idles fine and the URGENCY SERVICE warning does not activate. I can turn the ignition off and when I turn it back on the triangle will be gone. No other issues at all. Bike starts and runs great. Should I run any kind of test at this point or just wait until something ugly happens.
It only does this at the first start of the day and only occasionally. Some of you know what I went through when my TPS went bad last year about this time, so I’m a little concerned.   Thanks in advance for advise, comments  and your knowledge on the issue.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 09:05:00 AM by Ncdan »

Offline Scott of the Sahara

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Help! Dreaded red triangle on 2014 1400 tourer
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 01:48:00 PM »
I think it is the oil pressure sending unit. I have the same thing on my 2008 Norge. I think it started in about 2012. I have not done anything.

Offline DougG

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2019, 02:17:18 PM »
What Dan said.

Be well,
DougG
A possum playing possum is no big deal.  Find one that can play giraffe, now you got yourself something!

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2019, 04:35:10 PM »
Got any fault codes on the dashboard?

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2019, 04:35:10 PM »

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2019, 05:08:21 PM »
Got any fault codes on the dashboard?
No sir, after the dashboards does it’s internal check thing the triangle stays on. The bike will start fine and idle fine. I can turn it off and immediately restart and it’s gone and will not come back on all day regardless of how many timers I start and restart. No URGENT SERVICE code like when my TPS went out last year. The bike also runs flawlessly, never better.  Go figure 😳

Offline DougG

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2019, 05:15:30 PM »
Hi Kiwi Dave,

I am about to confess my ignorance. 

Where would a fault code show itself on the dashboard?  Do I have to go to a specific mode?

Thanks,
DougG
A possum playing possum is no big deal.  Find one that can play giraffe, now you got yourself something!

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2019, 05:20:15 PM »
 The whole bikes preparing itself to detonate.  Send into me and I will safely dispose of it for free.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2019, 05:29:27 PM »
Hi Kiwi Dave,

I am about to confess my ignorance. 

Where would a fault code show itself on the dashboard?  Do I have to go to a specific mode?

Thanks,
DougG

My bad.  I confused myself with CARC models.

You have to use Guzzidiag to see the fault codes.  Then you can identify the code and the the part of the system that is producing it.  Otherwise a dealer can do it with the PADS replacement diagnostics software.

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2019, 05:48:27 PM »
The whole bikes preparing itself to detonate.  Send into me and I will safely dispose of it for free.
Haha, you too funny Jimbo:)

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2019, 06:10:18 PM »
If the triangle is on while riding.
Take the bike up to speed.
Pull in the clutch and shut the engine off.
Let the clutch out to spin the engine.
Pull the clutch back in and turn on the key.
Pop the clutch out.
The triangle will go out and it’ll be the sender.

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2019, 06:34:47 PM »
If the triangle is on while riding.
Take the bike up to speed.
Pull in the clutch and shut the engine off.
Let the clutch out to spin the engine.
Pull the clutch back in and turn on the key.
Pop the clutch out.
The triangle will go out and it’ll be the sender.
So I should leave it on the next time it comes on and try this?

beetle

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2019, 06:46:10 PM »
Danny, check it with GuzziDiag. There should be error codes in the memory.

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2019, 06:57:23 PM »
Danny, check it with GuzziDiag. There should be error codes in the memory.
Thanks Mark, I’ll touch base in a couple days as Lisa May need some guidance in this endeavor. Can’t depend on that woman for nothing 😂😂😂

beetle

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2019, 07:23:43 PM »
Can’t depend on that woman for nothing 😂😂😂

You wanna hope she doesn't read this. You'll be in so much trouble....     :thewife:

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2019, 10:06:19 PM »
So I should leave it on the next time it comes on and try this?
I would.
It led me straight to the solution with my Norge. If I had the knowlege to go through the diagnostics and trace it the correct way then I would, but my methods are a bit Stone Age.

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2019, 11:39:54 PM »
I would.
It led me straight to the solution with my Norge. If I had the knowlege to go through the diagnostics and trace it the correct way then I would, but my methods are a bit Stone Age.
Thanks Huzo!!!

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2019, 04:30:02 AM »
I think it is the oil pressure sending unit. I have the same thing on my 2008 Norge. I think it started in about 2012. I have not done anything.

Same thing happened on my 1200 Sport.  It’s the same sending unit that’s been freaking out Guzzi riders for 15 years.  It’s a pain in the ass to change and I paid as much for the crow’s foot to replace it as I did the actual part. 

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2019, 07:32:52 AM »
I learned a good lesson from the TPS bout last year, book the thing up to a laptop and let the computer tell ya what’s wrong with the thing. So that’s the plan sometime this week. I’ll keep y’all posted on the results.

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2019, 08:12:49 AM »
I just checked this morning and the issue is still present. Turned the switch on and the red triangle came on, started the bike and it continued flashing off and on. Turned it off and restarted and it was gone and she runs great. Something is definitely going on. Crap!

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2019, 02:41:10 PM »
I just checked this morning and the issue is still present. Turned the switch on and the red triangle came on, started the bike and it continued flashing off and on. Turned it off and restarted and it was gone and she runs great. Something is definitely going on. Crap!
Sender, sender, sender x 50
It won’t be that hard to throw a new one at it Daniel.
Have a day off work, get up early, have a nice breakfast and just do it mate !
It’s not worth the mental anguish.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 02:52:19 PM by Huzo »

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2019, 03:46:31 PM »
Sender, sender, sender x 50
It won’t be that hard to throw a new one at it Daniel.
Have a day off work, get up early, have a nice breakfast and just do it mate !
It’s not worth the mental anguish.
You are probably right Huzo. I’m going to get wife to hook it up to the lap top in the next few days and see what the code is for sure before I start taking  the tank off. Is that sensor easy to get and what’s the cost?

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2019, 03:56:22 PM »
You are probably right Huzo. I’m going to get wife to hook it up to the lap top in the next few days and see what the code is for sure before I start taking  the tank off. Is that sensor easy to get and what’s the cost?
That’s where I better pull up mate.
I don’t know anything about your bike and it’s intricacies. There’ll be those here that will though.

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2019, 04:04:05 PM »
I had an intermittent red triangle fault on my Cali 1400, which turned out to be a faulty clutch switch at the handlebar.  Guzzidiag was showing fault P0745, which wasn't even listed.  Finally, it became consistent and the bike went into limp home mode.  This was after the local dealer checked the bike over, charged me $90 and said nothing was wrong.

So before you order that oil pressure switch and whip the tank off (actually no whipping, it's not a quick process), get Guzzidiag running and read the error codes.  The oil switch is a known weak point on the CARC models, but doesn't necessarily apply here.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2019, 04:07:15 PM »
I had an intermittent red triangle fault on my Cali 1400, which turned out to be a faulty clutch switch at the handlebar.  Guzzidiag was showing fault P0745, which wasn't even listed.  Finally, it became consistent and the bike went into limp home mode.  This was after the local dealer checked the bike over, charged me $90 and said nothing was wrong.

So before you order that oil pressure switch and whip the tank off (actually no whipping, it's not a quick process), get Guzzidiag running and read the error codes.  The oil switch is a known weak point on the CARC models, but doesn't necessarily apply here.
That sounds like a sensible approach actually.

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2019, 04:10:33 PM »
It’s down right disgusting that these so called modern machines have these wonderful upgrades in mechanics that make them so %€?> wonderful that they think for you, ABS,  TRACTION CONTROL, RIDE MODES and everything else under the sun, however the chicken $#|+ sensors that regulate them can’t make it 6k miles!!!! This is nothing short of disgusting!!  Sorry but it’s difficult to control a rant that’s building up here. Hell it didn’t even make it to 2700 miles before a high dollar TPS sensor crashed and if it had not been for one of my buddies here I would have had to BLOW over 600 bucks to get it fixed!!!!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 04:22:51 PM by Ncdan »

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2019, 04:14:45 PM »

Thanks Dave, you are right. I don’t know if all newer brands of bikes experience this type of issues but after I went through the headaches of the TPS SENSOR at 2600 miles this is starting to be an overload😡😡😡😡😡😡

Offline M0T0Geezer

• Gaggle Mentor
    • The Ones I Rode
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2019, 06:12:26 PM »
All I can say is...

My 2004 Honda Silverwing Scooter: Absolutely zero oil pressure, fuel mapping, ECU, TPS or other sensor probs in 23,000 miles. Zero driveline problems.

My 2005 Honda Gold Wing 1800:  Absolutely zero oil pressure, fuel mapping, ECU, TPS or other sensor probs in 25,000 miles.  Zero driveline problems.

My 2005 Honda ST1300: Absolutely zero oil pressure, fuel mapping, ECU, TPS or other sensor probs in 45,000 miles.   Zero driveline problems.

My 2007 Yamaha Majesty Scooter: Absolutely zero oil pressure, fuel mapping, ECU, TPS or other sensor probs in 26,000 miles.   Zero driveline problems.

My 2007 Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 (2-Valve): Ongoing problems with oil pressure light, fuel mapping, ECU, TPS and other sensor probs in the 6,000 miles I've owned it. Not to mention the whole CARC unit schat itself during that time.

It is so sad that Moto Guzzi allows so many bugs and gremlins to sully the aura and reputation of its legendary brand name.   

Yet I do so love the Norge and the Breva 750 before it...  This is in spite of yettanuther example of Big Corporate ravaging of historical DNA:

Harley/AMF,  Fender/CBS, Moto Guzzi/gang-bang  etc etc.

'Geezer

2007 Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 USA

My 65+ years of motorcycling here:

http://www.dansher.com/mywheels.htm

Wisdom from the road:

http://www.dansher.com/bikequotes.html

Play guitar or keyboard?  You will like:

http://www.dansher.com/audio/pdf_tunes.html

pete roper

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2019, 06:55:14 PM »

My 2007 Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 (2-Valve): Ongoing problems with oil pressure light, fuel mapping, ECU, TPS and other sensor probs in the 6,000 miles I've owned it. Not to mention the whole CARC unit schat itself during that time.

It is so sad that Moto Guzzi allows so many bugs and gremlins to sully the aura and reputation of its legendary brand name.   

Yet I do so love the Norge and the Breva 750 before it...  This is in spite of yettanuther example of Big Corporate ravaging of historical DNA:

Harley/AMF,  Fender/CBS, Moto Guzzi/gang-bang  etc etc.

'Geezer

If you are getting continuous oil pressure warnings your oil pump has probably busted it's outer rotor. Get to it before it torches the motor.

beetle

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2019, 07:57:25 PM »

Yes, Moto Guzzi's are shite. Burn them all and go away so the rest of us can enjoy ours.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2019, 08:27:33 PM »
If you are getting continuous oil pressure warnings your oil pump has probably busted it's outer rotor. Get to it before it torches the motor.

Needless to say, listen to Pete.  :smiley: There was a run of bad oil pumps in 07, from memory around October and November.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here