Author Topic: Colorado mechanic suggestions  (Read 1495 times)

Offline alanp

• Gaggle Hero
Colorado mechanic suggestions
« on: July 06, 2019, 03:55:02 PM »
My V7II is going to need a new transmission input shaft seal (I think).  It is just out of warranty of course.  Will have to pull the engine, and this is not within my repertoire of mechanical skills.
Looking for suggestions of where I could get this done in the general Denver/Boulder area, preferably.  Not exactly trusting Erico, although I haven’t been there in years so maybe they are OK?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 03:55:45 PM by alanp »
Niwot, Colorado
'08 1200 Sport - Black
'16 V7II Stone - Black
Previous Guzzis
'07 Griso, '07 Norge, '03 California SS, '02 California SS, '02 V11 Lemans,  '83 Lemans III, '77 Lemans

Offline cloudbase

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Colorado mechanic suggestions
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 05:08:48 PM »
Moto Italia in Fort Collins.

Offline guzzi4me

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2019, 05:13:02 PM »
Moto Italia in Fort Collins.

I believe they closed a while ago...

Jeff
Jeff S
Fruita CO

01 Jackal "Mistress"...sold
02 Stone "Giada"...donated Cedar Vale raffle
16 Stone V7 II "Olivia"...racking up the miles!!

Offline Mike Harper

• Gaggle Hero
    • harpermoto.com
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2019, 05:34:56 PM »
Just a little ways out od town but there is always Harper's  :thumb:

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2019, 05:34:56 PM »

Offline Dharma Bum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2019, 07:56:02 PM »
You might get hold of Matt down in Albequerque

Offline LongRanger

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2019, 09:49:15 PM »
I hate to say it, but Erico might be your best and only local choice.

Their incompetence and negligence cost them my business in 2012, but perhaps things have changed since then. Good luck.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 09:53:24 PM by LongRanger »
2012 BMW R1200R Classic

Offline BentGoose

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2019, 12:46:05 PM »
Alan
Check into Motolab, I haven't used them myself and haven't heard any negative feedback, I would try then before going to Erico.
 http://www.scooterlab.net/
Roger
Roger Pritzel Denver, CO
'15 1400 California Touring
'14 Stelvio
'08 1200 Sport
'04 Ballabio
'98 EV X 2
'71 Ambo Police, '71 Ambo Civilian
'38 UL & '46 FL

Offline dxhall

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2019, 01:24:34 PM »
Erico is about your only choice, I’m afraid.  Get out the Italian loafers.  No socks.  Skinny jeans.  You’ll fit right in.

Offline alanp

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2019, 01:42:05 PM »
Alan
Check into Motolab, I haven't used them myself and haven't heard any negative feedback, I would try then before going to Erico.
 http://www.scooterlab.net/
Roger

Thanks Roger, I’ll check them out.
Niwot, Colorado
'08 1200 Sport - Black
'16 V7II Stone - Black
Previous Guzzis
'07 Griso, '07 Norge, '03 California SS, '02 California SS, '02 V11 Lemans,  '83 Lemans III, '77 Lemans

Offline alanp

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2019, 01:43:28 PM »
Erico is about your only choice, I’m afraid.  Get out the Italian loafers.  No socks.  Skinny jeans.  You’ll fit right in.

Yeah, if they spent as much time with the wrenches as they did with the espresso machine I would feel a lot better about them.
Niwot, Colorado
'08 1200 Sport - Black
'16 V7II Stone - Black
Previous Guzzis

Offline jpv7

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2019, 02:47:49 PM »
Alan, please keep us up to date on whatever is found.  It's disappointing to hear about this on such a new bike.   I'd be seriously thinking about moving on from the brand if it happened to me...

Offline dxhall

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2019, 03:03:38 PM »
I’ve lived in Denver long enough to remember Harry’s Motors.  Harry sold and serviced Norton and Moto Guzzi.  The lights were always kind of dim, and the place smelled like petroleum products.  When you walked up to the counter, Harry himself was likely to come help you, wiping his greasy hands on a shop towel as he walked up to the counter.   Harry (and his son, who worked with him) really knew his business.

Times have changed.  I suppose in a sense anybody not named Marquez or Rossi is a poser, but it sure seems to me that the poser percentage in motorcycling has increased since I started riding.

Offline M0T0Geezer

• Gaggle Mentor
    • The Ones I Rode
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2019, 06:29:48 PM »
My V7II is going to need a new transmission input shaft seal (I think).  It is just out of warranty of course.  Will have to pull the engine, and this is not within my repertoire of mechanical skills.
Looking for suggestions of where I could get this done in the general Denver/Boulder area, preferably.  Not exactly trusting Erico, although I haven’t been there in years so maybe they are OK?

Alan...  Alan...  Alan...

My 750 Breva 750 ran 60,000 miles seeping, weeping oil around all the crankcase & tranny joints the whole way.

You know that bike well.  It never missed a beat, oil and all.  I think every seal and gasket may have been leaking.  Maybe 'cuz I used 5-40 synthetic oil in it the whole time, maybe not. 

Over 5 years I may have blown $30 in red rags to wipe it down after every ride.  Add another $25 for top-off oil.  I'm sure that was a lot cheaper than a 'full crab' job from any dealer.  Who knows if that would have dried her tears at all??  Who knows if the dealer might not have gone teats up in the middle of the job?  Then What?

Half Aircraft, Half Air Compressor, Half Ditch Pump: It's a Guzzi.     :boozing:

With love,

'Geezer
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 USA

My 65+ years of motorcycling here:

http://www.dansher.com/mywheels.htm

Wisdom from the road:

http://www.dansher.com/bikequotes.html

Play guitar or keyboard?  You will like:

http://www.dansher.com/audio/pdf_tunes.html

Offline alanp

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2019, 08:18:38 PM »
Alan...  Alan...  Alan...

My 750 Breva 750 ran 60,000 miles seeping, weeping oil around all the crankcase & tranny joints the whole way.

You know that bike well.  It never missed a beat, oil and all.  I think every seal and gasket may have been leaking.  Maybe 'cuz I used 5-40 synthetic oil in it the whole time, maybe not. 

Over 5 years I may have blown $30 in red rags to wipe it down after every ride.  Add another $25 for top-off oil.  I'm sure that was a lot cheaper than a 'full crab' job from any dealer.  Who knows if that would have dried her tears at all??  Who knows if the dealer might not have gone teats up in the middle of the job?  Then What?

Half Aircraft, Half Air Compressor, Half Ditch Pump: It's a Guzzi.     :boozing:

With love,

'Geezer

Well, 'Geezers posts provides a different perspective.  One possibility is a "small" but persistent leak as he describes, which is no more than a cosmetic issue.  I had jumped to the conclusion that my issue was panic worthy, but it may not be.  Here is why I panicked:
Since new, a small oil "seep" has been evident at the mating face between the engine and transmission.  But sometime within the past 1000 miles this "seep" released its first drip onto my garage floor.  Then a few rides later another drip.  Then a drip after every ride.  Then a drip almost immediately upon parking the bike, followed by a few more drips.  The drips are generated when riding, the bike doesn't leak when sitting, it just releases the drips that collected during the ride. 
So my feeling that I need to get this fixed isn't driven by the severity of the leak, but the rapidity with which it has progressed over just a few hundred miles.  I am concerned that I am heading for a catastrophic seal failure and a seized tranny.  But maybe not.  Not sure what I should do now, just ride it and don't worry (unless it gets a lot worse), or fix it before it catastrophically fails?  Thoughts and similar experiences welcome!
Niwot, Colorado
'08 1200 Sport - Black
'16 V7II Stone - Black
Previous Guzzis

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2019, 09:15:15 PM »
I drained out the syn oil and used dino oil, leaks stopped for about 5 yrs. If it drips w/ plain oil change seal.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline alanp

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2019, 03:23:19 PM »
Thanks everyone, some good suggestions.  I have decided to ride the bike and see what happens.  If the leak continues to worsen I will have to deal with it, but at its current level I think it is not too much of a concern. 
I did contact some of the suggested mechanics and found 2 that would do the job, but not until the fall.  Too busy this time of year, which is understandable.  And BTW, I liked talking to the guy at Moto+Scooter Lab.  Sounded like a real straight shooter and seems to know Guzzi's fairly well. 
Niwot, Colorado
'08 1200 Sport - Black
'16 V7II Stone - Black
Previous Guzzis

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here