Author Topic: Breva 1200 Sport Rescue  (Read 3050 times)

jomarti3

Breva 1200 Sport Rescue
« on: February 14, 2015, 11:07:06 AM »
It's been a long time since I've participated here so by way of re-introduction I'm relating my current experiences with cleanup of a new to me 1200 Sport.

I found this bike in Dallas last fall after wanting one for several years.  It was surface clean, low miles, looked stock and untampered with so I brought it home for a thorough cleanup and servicing.  Hugely impressed on the trip back to Arlington with how smooth the Breva series engines are.  My previous 2004 LeMans was pretty nice but smooth it wasn't.

Outside cleanup went well, pipes took a lot of work but brightened up nicely.  Then I began tank removal to get a look under the hood- and ran up against the fuel quick disconnect (read lots of gripes about this).  I know you more experienced guys have figured this out.  I examined the mechanism that could be seen and figured the key was to release those four locking fingers.  So I cut and shaped some wooden cotton swab sticks, inserted the chiseled ends to contact the latch, turned 90 degrees which held up the latch.  Two was enough to allow light twisting to undo the connection.  I should add I also had lubed the connection internals with Armor All which freed up the rubber and plastic bits.

Tank removed, I found unconnected hoses, missing fasteners and a huge buildup of dirt including mud dobbers ( what we call them down here in Texas) nests.  A shame to see a nice machine like this neglected but more fun in cleanup and bringing a solid bike back to near pristine condition.

Next step is air box removal to get into the nether regions for complete cleaning.  More on that later.

Offline twodogs

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Breva 1200 Sport Rescue
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 11:24:49 AM »
Congrats on the 1200, what color did you end up with? I picked up a black one (the faster color ;D) Post some pic's if can :bike
2-2023 Yamaha TW200
2022 Triumph 850 sport

Offline AH Fan

• Gaggle Mentor
  • small stable of Italian stuff
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 07:53:03 PM »

Good on ya .............. owned one have many regrets one being that I should have kept her.
Best engine and trans. of any in my list of M/Gs
 I have owned.Probably buy another one if I am ever given a chance.  :drool

Ciao.           

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 11:07:53 PM »
Jomarti- good on ya. I've been very happy with mine. A few suggestions while you ahve the tanks off:

Throw away the disconnect. You can get a similar fitting down the street at Autozone that will release much easier than those infuriating little fingers. There's ametal fitting out there, but I didn't want to wait for it.

While the tank is off, remove the bottom plate and replace the fuel filter inside the tank with an all metal unit. Cheap. The factory unit is half plastis and swells in contact with ethanol and can separate. You will need the modern crimp type high pressure fuel line pliers to reconnect stuff. Cheap tool and good to have.

Consider wiring the starting circuit witha  more direct run from the battery to the starter solenoid (research startus interuptus" here). Simple job and could save you from being stranded.

The swing arm bearings and shaft splines are most likely dry as a bone. You want to grease them.  Possibly the lower shock link needle bearings could need lube as well. This is not that big a job- especially if you pull the rear wheel to get fresh rubber.

The dash on these units can fail if they do not have drain holes. If you ride in the rain- you will want to drill relief holes.

The stock map sucks. I downloaded Guzzidiag from Paul here (please donate some green to him if you use the program). I then downloaded an improved map from another forum member to get rid of the popping on overrun.

I had the key swithc "immobilizer" fail on me. It did show up on the dash diagnostics. Inexpensive part, but a bugger to access.

Learn the service code to enter your bike's diagnostic progrm- could save you grief.

BTW- there's no question that my RED 1200 can whip twodogs' black one. Sorry TD, it's a scientific fact;0

Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 11:07:53 PM »

Offline twodogs

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 08:58:28 AM »
LOL ;-T
2-2023 Yamaha TW200
2022 Triumph 850 sport

jomarti3

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 09:45:55 AM »
The 1200 Sport is black as I'm a sucker for black.

Boat detective, thanks for the tips I can use all them.  I have one key and the user code assuming the previous owner didn't change it from what MPH set up.  And that's another vote in favor of this bike- MPH sold and set up the bike so it got a good start in it's service life.  That includes Mike's start circuit solution so that's good.

I do plan to disassemble the rear to get at those swing arm bearings.  The Lemans I had was relatively simple to do this on, this Breva looks a little more involved requiring pretty much the whole rear end to be removed if I read correctly.  Lots of work but I should know the bike inside out after it's all done.

My bike buying history for the most part is to buy used, renew the machine to close to new as possible and enjoy an as new older machine.  Over the years I've done this to a 77 Honda 750, 2 BMWs, 2 Moto Guzzis, a Buell Ulysses and now this bike and truly enjoy the renewal process ( well, until I hit a snag occasionally). 

I have a decision to make on the chrome-like tank trim panels as it seems so out of place on this bike.  Satin black might be the way to go, either vinyl wrap or paint.

Thanks for the help and the encouragement, all appreciated.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here