Author Topic: Simplyj's "Girlfriend's Guzzi" Build Thread  (Read 41266 times)

simplyj

Re: Simplyj's "Girlfriend's Guzzi" Build Thread
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2014, 05:15:55 PM »
We got a little wrench time in today before the Jets beatdown game started.  Removed the heavy stock cans, passenger pegs, and grab rails then mocked up the Lossa stubby mufflers.  Very happy with how they look and also, the amount of weight shed in the process. 

Then taped up the rear fender to figure out cut lines. 

Cutting

mounted back on the bike.  Going to go with a small black Bates style LED pedestal mount tail. 

Happy girl

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2014, 05:57:09 PM »
 Does the small muffler, muffle? Looks cool.
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Vasco DG

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2014, 06:17:05 PM »

My guess is they will seriously screw with the EMU's ability to trim and will make the bike run like a munter. Probably horribly loud as well.

Pete

simplyj

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2014, 06:19:48 PM »

Not entirely sure. I have a lossa reverse cone on my Triumph and it sounds great. A lot of Thruxton guys run the stubby mufflers on EFI bikes, but different bike so I guess we'll see on the V7

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2014, 06:19:48 PM »

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2014, 06:20:18 PM »
My guess is they will seriously screw with the EMU's ability to trim and will make the bike run like a munter. Probably horribly loud as well.

Pete

Yep, those big Australian birds really don't like those small silencers.   :BEER:
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 06:22:01 PM by smdl »
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore (Yep, two)

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2014, 06:27:11 PM »
Not entirely sure. I have a lossa reverse cone on my Triumph and it sounds great. A lot of Thruxton guys run the stubby mufflers on EFI bikes, but different bike so I guess we'll see on the V7

You might want to familiarize yourself with the Guzzidiag tutorial thread, and spend some time learning how to adjus the tune.  Could be fun!

Looks like your girlfriend is going to end up with a very nice bike, with a very reasonable investment.  Please keep updating as you make progress.

Cheers,
Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

Vasco DG

« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2014, 06:40:12 PM »
You might want to familiarize yourself with the Guzzidiag tutorial thread, and spend some time learning how to adjus the tune.  Could be fun!

Looks like your girlfriend is going to end up with a very nice bike, with a very reasonable investment.  Please keep updating as you make progress.

Cheers,
Shaun

I don't think Paul & co. have got Guzzidiag working for the MUIG-3 or whatever its called yet? Could be wrong. Paul?

Short, unbaffled, pipes will almost certainly cause problems with the O2 sensors, especially given their proximity to the foreshortened pipe exits. This will create issues, especially at idle and lower rpm and may well have serious implications for both fuel economy and engine longevity. Just sayin'.

As for noise? As long as it doesn't impact me I don't care what people do to their bikes but I would of thought in an inner city urban environment like NY you'd not be popular with your neighbours if you have a stupidly raucous motorbike. Antisocial, that's all.

Pete

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2014, 06:48:53 PM »
I don't think Paul & co. have got Guzzidiag working for the MUIG-3 or whatever its called yet? Could be wrong. Paul?

Short, unbaffled, pipes will almost certainly cause problems with the O2 sensors, especially given their proximity to the foreshortened pipe exits. This will create issues, especially at idle and lower rpm and may well have serious implications for both fuel economy and engine longevity. Just sayin'.

As for noise? As long as it doesn't impact me I don't care what people do to their bikes but I would of thought in an inner city urban environment like NY you'd not be popular with your neighbours if you have a stupidly raucous motorbike. Antisocial, that's all.

Pete

Thanks for correcting me, Pete.  I thought I had read somewhere that they had accomodated the small-blocks, but that could just be a mistake on my part.  

For what it's worth, I agree on the loud pipes issue -- I do like to be able to hear my bikes, but can't deal with obnoxious noise.  I know that's subjective, but I find that many aftermaket exhausts -- with the DB killers left in -- provide a nice balance of sound level and pleasing tone.  

Cheers,
Shaun
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 06:58:12 PM by smdl »
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

Vasco DG

« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2014, 07:27:10 PM »
Quite. At the moment I'm running a Mistral Hi-Pipe without the dB killer in on the Griso. With the latest map it doesn't sound too bad and its quite possible to ride through built up areas without it being obnoxious but this is partly because with the recent run of maps Mark has produced you can trickle along on a whiff of throttle at 1,800 rpm with none of the 8 and 16 stroking that used to make the gearbox 'Chatter' if you tried it. That meant that you'd tend to cog it down a couple of gears and although you wouldn't be using appreciably more throttle the noise level was substantially increased. Mark has hinted though that when he 's well again he'll be doing some work towards producing a dB killer installed map that he reckons will impact very little on performance but will substantially quieten the bike down. This to me is ideal as when I'm riding, especially if I'm doing the sort of speed that might draw me to the attention of Plod, the less I announce my presence the better. I want to be ignored! ~;

Jude and I went for a nice ride on the Mana yesterday and just as we were returning to Bungendore we got rounded up and passed by a trio of Pirates with the ubiquitous loud pipes and attitude. One of them had the number plate 'PHAT'. On arriving back in Bungendore they had all been pulled over at an RBT check and their bikes were being given the once-over by Captain Grunty. We puttered up. He took one look and waved us on. Brilliant! Suck it up 'Outlaws' :BEER:

Pete

Offline Steph

• Gaggle Hero
  • Cali Stone/ LM3
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2014, 07:31:56 PM »
Simplyj, I don't know how you get any work done! 

;-T

Offline Matt

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2014, 09:28:27 PM »
Can I vote for Shinko 705s in place of the Kendas? I've had both and the Shinkos are awesome...Kendas not so much.

Note: On completely different bikes so YMMV.
Matt
Everett, WA
Guzzi bit
1250 Bandit
SV650

simplyj

« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2014, 10:15:52 PM »
Can I vote for Shinko 705s in place of the Kendas? I've had both and the Shinkos are awesome...Kendas not so much.

Note: On completely different bikes so YMMV.

I run shinko 705s on my triumph and love them but wanted to stick as close as possible to the stock size tires and run tubeless tires. Kendas met the criteria better.

Vasco DG

« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2014, 03:33:29 AM »
Thanks for correcting me, Pete.  I thought I had read somewhere that they had accomodated the small-blocks, but that could just be a mistake on my part.  

Cheers,
Shaun

AFAIK there are options for the 15M-RC used with the earlier twin TB motors but not the single TB controller. As said though I could be wrong.

Given that it is so difficult to get appreciable performance increases with the smallblock I tend to advise against modifications that will radically alter the way the engine pumps, especially those that will immediately impact on the O2 sensor functions. That means that by seriously screwing about with stuff like pipes and air filters, especially going to 'Shorties' like those this lad is using will most likely create issues like service warnings, errors detected and possibly a drop into limp mode which wouldn't be fun in NY traffic.

Look, I'm NOT being critical of what the lad is doing. He's having a go and personalising his young lady's bike and that's great but I'd hate for him to get in over his head and end up with a potentially dangerous vehicle that could get him and his GF into trouble.

Pete

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2014, 08:35:44 AM »
Sounds (and looks) like this build is more for "show" and not "go".  Best of luck...
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

simplyj

« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2014, 08:41:32 AM »
I have been planning to get the ECU reflashed by either Todd at GuzziTech or by my local Rexxer dealer to help deal with the stubby exhaust.  Looks like Dave at Redline figured out the '13+ ecu a little while back and Rexxer has the '13+ listed on their website now.  

The build is more for show than go, but still want to run reliably.  I've spoken to another owner of a '11 V7 with these cans and after an ECU tune he's reported it running very well.  Not for nothing, but there are always detractors and naysayers on every build.  I'm not making any permanent modifications to the exhaust that cannot be changed or reverted back to stock should a serious issue arise.  I'll be putting all the shakedown miles on and if there is a problem, I will deal with it. 

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2014, 09:59:51 AM »
Rexxer does have a map for the single TB V7 but that map is based on the stock exhaust and intake.  The Rexxer map deletes the O2 sensors so the ECU won't be getting conflicting signals from those sensors.  Nevertheless, a major mod to the exhaust is bound to create a much leaner running condition, in spite of the re-map.  You will need to put the bike on a dyno in order to adjust the map to your actual configuration.  How lean?  I guess it boils down to how lucky you feel.

BTW, most Rexxer dealers won't have a dyno.  Redline does and that's how they were able to come up with the V7 map for other Rexxer dealers.  Dave Lillard @ Redline would be the best person to talk to for ground truth on this issue.

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

simplyj

« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2014, 04:23:40 PM »
Rexxer does have a map for the single TB V7 but that map is based on the stock exhaust and intake.  The Rexxer map deletes the O2 sensors so the ECU won't be getting conflicting signals from those sensors.  Nevertheless, a major mod to the exhaust is bound to create a much leaner running condition, in spite of the re-map.  You will need to put the bike on a dyno in order to adjust the map to your actual configuration.  How lean?  I guess it boils down to how lucky you feel.

BTW, most Rexxer dealers won't have a dyno.  Redline does and that's how they were able to come up with the V7 map for other Rexxer dealers.  Dave Lillard @ Redline would be the best person to talk to for ground truth on this issue.

Peter Y.

you're right and sadly, VA isn't close enough for me to get a proper dyno tune.  Been discussing the next best option with Todd at GuzziTech and I'm sending him the ECU/TB as well as the mufflers and he's going to work out a custom map on his '13.  Seemed confident that he can work it out. 

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2014, 06:16:17 PM »
Seems like a reasonable thing to do.
New Zealand
2002 Ev tourer (Stalled again...)

simplyj

« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2014, 10:21:49 PM »
1st attempt at the gauge face came out ok... but some of the numbers, the logo, and idiot lights are hard to read.  Tweaked it in photoshop and will get some more printed out tomorrow.  Crappy blurry pic but you get the point.

simplyj

« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2014, 10:48:56 PM »
Speaking for all of us old guys , we really just want to see more pics of your lovely GF  ;D

Dusty

You're telling me that you're not interested in gauge faces and efi tuning discussions???  What kind of forum is this?

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2014, 11:16:42 PM »
1st attempt at the gauge face came out ok... but some of the numbers, the logo, and idiot lights are hard to read.  Tweaked it in photoshop and will get some more printed out tomorrow.  Crappy blurry pic but you get the point.

I like it!   ;-T
Dusty, you aren't dead but sure sound desperate.  :P
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

oldbike54

« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2014, 11:26:01 PM »
Give it another 12 years KD , you will learn to appreciate beauty  :D

Dusty

simplyj

« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2014, 11:30:14 PM »
Those things are also interesting , but we like girls on bikes a lot , just do a forum search  ;) Hey , most of us are old , we need to be reminded we aren't dead yet . Actually , this has been a fun thread , attaboy .

Dusty

Not technically on a bike...
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 11:30:55 PM by simplyj »

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2014, 11:45:27 PM »
Cool looking muffler. ;-T ;) ;D
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

oldbike54

« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2014, 11:46:55 PM »

"Well the East coast girls are hip
 I really dig those styles they wear "

The Beach Boys were right about that . Nice smile .

Dusty
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 11:49:06 PM by oldbike54 »

Phil_P

« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2014, 02:05:09 AM »
Ah, now I understand the choice of silencer (muffler). Those heels would play havoc with high mounted cans! ;)

Phil

Offline Steph

• Gaggle Hero
  • Cali Stone/ LM3
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2014, 04:46:31 AM »

Like I said earlier, I don't know how you get any work done  :)

Phil_P

« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2014, 05:06:13 AM »
'Long Legged and Easy To Live With'

Phil

simplyj

« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2014, 05:11:16 AM »
'Long Legged and Easy To Live With'

Phil

Only one of those is true, haha

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2014, 06:23:04 AM »
Only one of those is true, haha

The same could be said of a Guzzi bike.  Long legged, but as for easy to live with, well.....

I'm late to this thread, but am enjoying it.  Pay no attention to the naysayers, I've modified my V7's engine considerably with no error codes or dangers.

Of course I'm not saying it was a cake-walk either.
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here