Author Topic: Wild in the streets?  (Read 45624 times)

Rough Edge racing

Re: Wild in the streets?
« Reply #120 on: February 26, 2015, 05:21:11 AM »
Why do people think legalizing pot will cause round the clock use? It's an intoxicant, just like alcohol. Is everyone who drinks drunk 24/7?
Making it legal doesnt mean it can't be regulated. Go to work drunk, yer fired.
Because I have seen it repeatedly since I first became aware of marijuana in 1967 when I was 20 years old. I'm not saying it's a problem for the majority but the potential is there. And it's not the image of an alcoholic or drug user laying in the gutter or going through withdrawal swatting imaginary bugs....But it can cause a erosion of a person's get up and go ....Otherwords you get lazy....I believe out society is so used to being told what to do by the gov't that the ability to self control is lost ...
 No legalization,just 100% decriminalize for personal use and cultivation....And see what happens....

dilligaf

« Reply #121 on: February 26, 2015, 07:28:38 AM »
In my experience, the policy of firing for not performing the job competently works better.

I won't ever pee in a cup or anything similar for a job, as a matter of principal.  I was once told that the new contract required drug testing.  I wasn't using any drugs, but told my employer that I was not willing to pee in a cup for the contract.  He said that that wasn't a problem, that the contract required random testing, so he'd just make sure my name didn't randomly come up.

If everyone in the work force refused to take drug tests, the requirement would disappear.  But they'd have to perform competently in their jobs to keep them, and they'd have to be willing to lose their jobs for the greater good of personal freedom.

Same here.  I've never knowingly been tested for illegal drugs.  When the new folks took over the military recreational area where I worked I refused to sign,  however I'm not all that sure what I would have done if my living depended on having that job.  Nothing came of it and I was never tested.  I was fired for not showing up for work.  That was well over a year after I gave notice I was riding my motorcycle to Alaska.  :BEER:
Matt

Offline HDGoose

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #122 on: February 26, 2015, 09:48:10 AM »
No, not on the spot at all. Your facts are probably accurate. Marijuana isn't a gateway drug or turn a person into a red eye madman but it can be insidious when it's easy to get. Start getting stoned before work....then at lunch....... and then night. Everything seems ok but slowly your life becomes one of less constructive activities. I have seen this in friends. You have to use self control and from the number of  fat people and idiots with their cellphones, self control is in short supply.

Then please explain why I do not drink scotch with breakfast? And usually not at lunch, especially when I have to return to work. But in the evening I like to sit, by the fire lately, and have a glass or three.

I have had three doctors in three different states tell me that they would prefer I smoked pot rather than taking Tylenol or Advil every night for joint pains. The California doctor did prescribe it for me. My Florida doctor said he is for decriminalizing pot. Only the pharmaceutical industry is against legalization.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #123 on: February 26, 2015, 10:27:47 AM »
hang in there KS-  best of luck   ;-T

I'd like to think it's still legal here to "pursue happiness."  As was mentioned last night on the tube..."get out and vote."  (Even if they want to throw the DC mayor in jail.)
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #123 on: February 26, 2015, 10:27:47 AM »

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #124 on: February 26, 2015, 10:30:43 AM »
I think this is an example of an increased reporting of use rather than an increase in actual use.  Those over 50 folks were the hippies and beatniks of the 60s and 70s.  As they mainstreamed, got jobs, had kids, etc, they had good reasons to hide or deny that they smoked.  Now they're either secure in their careers, working in a non-impact job, or retired.  Their kids are grown and don't need the role model.  Social and civic times have changed.  At least in Alaska, the over 50's led the charge for legalization.

This.  You admit to parents hiding and denying their use from their kids.  Why?  Maybe they're a roll model?  So now, you have to admit to your kids when they ask that it's legal because higher powers than them say it's ok.  Legalizing something is not much different than saying it's ok in the back of someone's mind.  I say we definitely see more folks using because it's "ok" now to use.  It's the psychology of legalization that I'm talking about.  I don't care what folks do.  
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #125 on: February 26, 2015, 10:32:38 AM »
funny, my 76 year old Ma was saying that she'd like to "try it once." 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Cheese

« Reply #126 on: February 26, 2015, 10:36:18 AM »
hang in there KS-  best of luck   ;-T

I'd like to think it's still legal here to "pursue happiness."  As was mentioned last night on the tube..."get out and vote."  (Even if they want to throw the DC mayor in jail.)

While the Citizens United case has made speech and money synonymous, none of the entities mentioned that benefit from mj being legal illegal (need to proof read) can yet vote. Votin's still us regular folks ace in the hole.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 10:48:17 AM by Cheese »

Offline kckershovel

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #127 on: February 26, 2015, 10:42:55 AM »
    I changed my mind. I am deciding not to comment on anything drug or law enforcement related on any online forum from here forward. I will probably even go back through old post and remove some of them as well. I have done a good job of staying invisible on the web. I don't have Facebook or my real name attached to anything on the web other than ebay and paypal because I prefer my privacy. As much as I would like to continue chatting with you all about this topic I think it is better to make sure I am not associated in anyway with anything controversial. I don't want anyone (employer, Law, ect) to be able to dig up any of my online history and use it against me in the future. Sounds paranoid right? I like that better safe than sorry philosophy.

On another note I definitely think the statistics will show an increase of people using pot but it will just be people admitting to pot use that previously denied using because of it being illegal.    

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #128 on: February 26, 2015, 11:07:35 AM »
Sounds paranoid right?

Nope.  I never get into discussions about valuable possessions or illegal activities for many reasons, including attracting burglars or worse.  Remember the recent thread about posting photos from your cell phone, which may have GPS coordinates embedded in them?  Posting your birthday is another one, since it's one more key piece of information that could allow someone to steal your identity.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 11:08:46 AM by Triple Jim »
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #129 on: February 26, 2015, 11:13:41 AM »
Nope.  I never get into discussions about valuable possessions or illegal activities for many reasons, including attracting burglars or worse.  Remember the recent thread about posting photos from your cell phone, which may have GPS coordinates embedded in them?  Posting your birthday is another one, since it's one more key piece of information that could allow someone to steal your identity.

What about posting wrong information, to throw them off the trail?   ~;
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline kckershovel

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #130 on: February 26, 2015, 11:14:23 AM »
I sure do. No GPS pics for me. I have known about the GPS tagging for years. I am flip phone no txt no pics no data no facebook. WG has been my guilty pleasure but I realized a way it can be linked back to me and am going to be much more careful on here as well. Prisons are not full of smart criminals. The Smart criminals own the prisons.

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #131 on: February 26, 2015, 11:16:40 AM »

Be safe out there,  y'all...

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline kckershovel

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #132 on: February 26, 2015, 11:21:58 AM »
Never did get the foil hat thing. Maybe I'm not paranoid after all.

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #133 on: February 26, 2015, 12:12:04 PM »
Then please explain why I do not drink scotch with breakfast? And usually not at lunch, especially when I have to return to work. But in the evening I like to sit, by the fire lately, and have a glass or three.

I have had three doctors in three different states tell me that they would prefer I smoked pot rather than taking Tylenol or Advil every night for joint pains. The California doctor did prescribe it for me. My Florida doctor said he is for decriminalizing pot. Only the pharmaceutical industry is against legalization.

Please, don't take my statement as personal or turn take it to mean everyone. And I know plenty of drunks who progressed from one drink to way too many. reading my posts here it's no secret I enjoy  herb occasionally and reading between the lines some other guys here also enjoy it. But like I said after nearly 50 years of experience with marijuana I've seen  many become all out stoners. And like drunks they will deny there's any problem...But at least the stoners don't get violent and kill each other like drunks do.And they don't go down the tubes but it makes them thinkers and not doers...
 I have spinal arthritis and I have to say it relieves the pain as well as OTC analgesics.
   And the worst? Gov't control of vegetation that's a result of legalization.... Grow your own like so many do,be in control and it's no ones business but your own....

Offline travelingbyguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • God hates a coward
« Reply #134 on: February 26, 2015, 05:33:55 PM »
Even tho possession is legal in WA, manufacture without a license is not. Even a few for your own consumption. This leads one to believe that the tax revenue is a big part of the state's position.

I can remember my grandfather growing his own tobacco in Arkansas, back in the sixties. I wonder what the position of the state is on that?
73 Eldorado
80 Sp
85 Cal II
97 1100Sport
08 1200 Sport AKA:Sweet Leaf
I'm not really drowning; I can see the beach from here.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #135 on: February 26, 2015, 07:18:13 PM »
This is a little drift into policy, but it's still factual . . .

Alaska looked at the CO and WA models when writing their bill.  We thought the WA model was the result of the administration being given to the (failed) liquor control board, which of course has to CONTROL something or they just don't feel busy.  After losing their monopoly on booze they decided to really take hold of their new role.  We were looking to get the gubbmt OUT of the situation as much as possible, and although some localities (Anchorage and Wasilla are big in the news) are trying to subvert the bill, so far we're doing a fair job of staying out of possession, sharing, and growing. [personal note]  I really don't care how the commercialization part shakes out.  I've got no dog in that fight.  I just want to be left alone to do my personal thing for my personal self.

We felt that the main purpose of the change was to let folks grow their own.  The commercial industry doesn't really play into it up here to the extent that some folks think it will.  The majority of folks will continue on with their home gardens.  Despite some curious inconsistencies, like allowing several plants, any one of which would exceed the personal possession limit of one ounce by several x.  But we also built the ability to modify the bill into its structure.  So as these speedbumps are encountered they will be dealt with.

Another thing we did was to say that mj would be regulated like alcohol.  This allows municipalities the right to have wet, damp, or dry venues, just like they can with booze.  They also get to define things like what is a 'public place' where consumption is banned.  So one community can say 'public places' are anywhere a member of the public can see you do it, and others (like Sitka), say it's common hallways in apartment buildings, common city areas like parks and streets, and public buildings like stores and restaurants. 

I see that debate at the federal level is focusing on a model close to ours.  They are not looking hard at what Washinton is doing.  The discussion topic for them takes the title of our law " . . to regulate mj like alcohol."

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #136 on: February 26, 2015, 08:16:15 PM »
The federal gov had nothing to do with local legalization in DC

That was passed by local referendum of DC residents

There was a weak attempt to block it by the Boehner & the  House.. But it was short lived after the mayor & DC council basically said they would ignore it and follow the voter's will

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They (mostly three Republicans) were successful in the respect that you can't legally buy MJ the way you can in Colorado. In fact you have to grow it yourself or someone gives you the pot and it can only be smoked at home.
Alaska seems to have a similar plan but it sounds like that will change within the next year.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #137 on: February 26, 2015, 08:46:38 PM »
Sometime in 2016 the commercial part kicks in.  It would have been suspicious if there was local stock on-hand the same day growing it became legal.  So they're taking some time to sort out the grower's/sellers rules and to grow some inventory.  It's new ground.  It will take a year or more before everything is defined and workable.

Offline papatom

• New Egg
« Reply #138 on: February 26, 2015, 09:57:48 PM »
My funniest pot story.  Back in the day I was at a MX and I ran across a friend out in the infield.  He was toking up and I didn't care.  We chatted awhile and he said he liked to smoke up before a race because he thought it made him ride more relaxed.  I said " That's all well and good, but isn't that you're moto that just came off the line?"  Say what you want but pot makes you do stupid stuff.  Oh yeah, I wrote this with a couple of gin and tonics in me.  Should I duck now?

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #139 on: February 26, 2015, 10:46:00 PM »
  Just so long as my kava stays legal.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline kckershovel

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #140 on: February 27, 2015, 11:00:09 AM »
I hear that kava turns you into flesh eating Zombies. I'm sure it will be illegal in no time. Well wait nope it doesn't infringe on big paper, big cotton, or big oil so I think you are going to be ok.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here