Author Topic: Guzzi has Ewan, Indian has Mark --NGC  (Read 43836 times)

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
Re: Guzzi has Ewan, Indian has Mark --NGC
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2015, 01:07:04 PM »
EDIT - MAYBE IT'S THE FLOOR BOARDS... cause when you're NOT about to shift or brake you can reposition your feet further back.

The CONTROLS themselves are in about the same positions, but your feet don't have to be all the time on the Chiefs.

I think it's the boards.  When I rode the Chief, I moved the balls of my feet to the back of the boards.  Moved my feet around a lot, actually.

It's still very "cruiser-ish" for me.  Seat too low, knees too high, feet too far forward, but I enjoyed the Chief more than the Scout.

I was surprised.  

« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 01:41:22 PM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2015, 01:09:47 PM »
 PS - the Scout has an advertised lean angle of 31 degrees, which is pretty darn good for the market segment.

In comparison that's MORE than any current model Sportster or Softail, and equal to the entire Dyna line (except the Wide Glide goes 0.9 degrees more to one side), and equal to or within ONE DEGREE of all Vrods and Touring Models.

It's a shame Indian/Polaris doesn't seem to publish lean angle specs on the rest of their line, cause I BET YOU a comparison would look the same.

And I DOUBT the Cali 1400 goes MUCH further over than that...
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2015, 01:10:58 PM »
I think it's the boards.  When I rode the Chief, I moved the balls of my feet to the back of the boards.  Moved my feet around a lot, actually.

It's still very "cruiser-ish" for me.  Seat too low, knees too high, feet too far forward, but I enjoyed the Chief more than the Scout.

I was surprised.  

Boards are actually cool like that - very comfortable allowing multiple foot and let positions/angles over a long ride.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2015, 01:16:48 PM »
PS - the Scout has an advertised lean angle of 31 degrees, which is pretty darn good for the market segment.

In comparison that's MORE than any current model Sportster or Softail, and equal to the entire Dyna line (except the Wide Glide goes 0.9 degrees more to one side), and equal to or within ONE DEGREE of all Vrods and Touring Models.

It's a shame Indian/Polaris doesn't seem to publish lean angle specs on the rest of their line, cause I BET YOU a comparison would look the same.

And I DOUBT the Cali 1400 goes MUCH further over than that...

The guy behind me dragged pegs or mufflers on a tight right-hander on our test ride.  I consciously tried to avoid that.  I know it's (really) good for it's market segment, but when I'm used to riding a sporty bike, the limited ground clearance is very noticeable.

I've resigned myself to the fact that they didn't build the Scout for me.  If they had, it would look more like the nuovo Norton Commando or Bonneville.  But, I'm sure they'll sell lots more of them in the FF cruiser layout than they would if it had been configured as a classic standard.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2015, 01:16:48 PM »

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2015, 01:40:19 PM »
Well, you know as well as most here that half the guys riding those types of bikes are scared to lean.

If someone behind you dragged something it's JUST as likely they weren't leaning with the bike (ya know, keeping themselves upright), causing them to have to physically lean the bike itself further than was necessary for the turn.

Like I've probably told 100 times. I've got a buddy who used to race GSXRs who hunts sportbikes on his stock suspension Dyna Street Bob.

I've held off sportbikes in the twisties on a stock 883L.

and I've had my ass handed to me on a Breva 1100 by a crazy-Finn on a clapped out overloaded Quota.

It's about the rider not the bike.

Of course, I get it, you're typically the type of rider who would use more than what those bikes offer in terms of lean. Which means you would either have to adjust your riding to the bike or forget about that type of bike, Chief OR Scout.

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Loftness

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2015, 01:51:05 PM »
We got the email about his clothing line this morning at the shop, and we had a few laughs about that ridiculous interview at all the spots Kev bolded above. 

That said, it's brilliant, and it'll sell more of what is already a very popular clothing apparel line.  'Our Guy' is a more legitimate rider and representative of a motorcycle brand, but this is exactly the type of thing I wish Guzzi/Piaggio did more of (ie brand marketing). 
Fletch

2013 V7 Stone
1984 V65sp
1986 Vespa T5
1974 BMW R90/6

Offline arveno

• Gaggle Hero
    • ddleathers.com
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2015, 02:18:08 PM »
Why do you think that?

All indications are that the new Indians are selling very well and are well received by the segment of the motorcycle population to which they are being marketed.

I've heard many a story of former HD riders who now tour the country on their new Indians.

I think that most of HD owners that are "bored" with the same old HD thing are moving toward the new indians , which is good .
Also new riders that did not like HD , are liking the Indians , positive thing too.
Indians is bringing some fresh air on the american cruiser market , so if before the only option was HD or Victory ( ohh well ) now Indians is an option and numbers are showing that so far , they are selling... and they are expanding.

After the "honey moon" period , Polaris/Indian will need to keep up the good job done so far , keeping the old client and add new ones and that's not easy task, not easy to compete with HD . for many reason .

Indian will have to sell enough motorcycle so the aftermarket parts makers will start investing in making custom parts for indians.
That will attire more and more riders toward indians.
riders are moving toward indians because they do not want to be all the same ( not all but some ) , then indians owners will want to customize their beloved bike to be different from other indians' riders.

We all know that HD is the most "customisable" bike ever, period.

Time will tell .

Offline youcanrunnaked

• Gaggle Hero
  • '03 California EV; Suzuki SV650; Suzuki DR650
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2015, 02:20:51 PM »
Endorsements from a "fake" biker or not, the new Indian clothing line is pretty nice, and unlike the meager selection of Moto Guzzi licensed merch, it's priced and sized right, too.  I bought a nice baseball style antique-look Indian T-shirt at the Motorcycle Show -- perfect fit and it was only $21.00.
"The transverse vibration is a great sensation -- hey, I think I just wrote a song!"
-- Billy Joel, Motorcyclist, 02/2012

"If Moto Guzzi were any more of a cult, you'd need a chicken."
--- Dan Neil, The Wall Street Journal, 04/19/2013

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2015, 02:49:25 PM »
We bought two Scouts. Maybe they should have hired me! Or my wife, she's cooler than Marky-Mark.

I like his acting. Bits of his personal history and how he handles it now, not so much.

And Guzzi content!
I know of 3 individuals who ordered Scouts, who bailed because they couldn't handle the wait. 2 out of 3 bought Guzzis instead, 1 V7 and 1 1400. The third bought a Victory Gunner.

father guzzi obrian

« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2015, 03:04:18 PM »
I finally got to see the new Scout, at the Progressive Motorcycle Show in Miami last month.  It's very nice.

The local Indian dealer has my name and number.  I am looking forward to a test-ride.

My saw this and said you look lovely in capri's what ever those are.... ~;

Offline pocphil

• Owner - ClevelandMoto
  • Hatchling
    • ClevelandMoto
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2015, 03:28:24 PM »
Ewan was fantastically cool when I was able to hang out with him while working a booth on Ducati Island at Laguna Seca in 2002. He was definitely a "Guzzi Guy" back then, he went on about his love of Guzzi's (strong talk for Ducati Island). He did auction off his '06 California Vintage with all the proceeds going to Unicef. He replaced the CalVin with a Black Griso, He's been seen several times bombing around LA on both a V1000 convert and an 850 Eldo. Even when they were shooting the Long Way Around he was riding to the shop every day on the Griso. So, based on that, I'd say he's the real deal. I'd much rather have Ewan repping "my bike" than Mark Mark.

Oh, and here's the worst picture of me ever taken with a much younger Obi Wan.

Phil Waters
ClevelandMoto

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2015, 03:30:06 PM »

Looks like regular cargo shorts, plus an Ace Bandage on the left knee...
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline youcanrunnaked

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2015, 03:34:50 PM »

It's a pair of shorts with an Ace bandage on my left knee.  A lot of walking at the MC Show, and I have a torn PCL.  Thanks for your concern.   :-*
"The transverse vibration is a great sensation -- hey, I think I just wrote a song!"

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2015, 03:41:24 PM »
Why do you think that?

All indications are that the new Indians are selling very well and are well received by the segment of the motorcycle population to which they are being marketed.

I've heard many a story of former HD riders who now tour the country on their new Indians.

Maybe the "Indian will sink" comment is just a projection of the hope based on the fact that (as we've discussed), people who are influenced by fake, posing, wisht-they-had-a-motorcycle actors are the ones that will be buying Indians?   Or at least "targeted" to buy them?

I don't know; I don't have a dog in the fight, because "riders" like the BS-BS-BS guy you pointed out will always be a percentage of the people you see posing out there, and that percentage, having not changed much over the years, will likely not change much more because Mark someone or Marilyn Monroe or whoever is selling motorcycles based on The Cool Factor ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

oldbike54

« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2015, 03:44:34 PM »
 A bit of research revealed Polarindian's true motivation for hiring this Wahlberg fella . Apparently during this guys formative stages he was known as Marky Mark and performed a song called ... wait for it

Good vibrations

Obviously this will open up a plethora of marketing options . Brilliant !

Dusty

Offline youcanrunnaked

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2015, 03:50:36 PM »
^^^  How did I miss that connection?  Brilliant!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efJZDJTACes

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Re: Guzzi has Ewan, Indian has Mark --NGC
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2015, 04:08:21 PM »
I think that most of HD owners that are "bored" with the same old HD thing are moving toward the new indians , which is good .
Also new riders that did not like HD , are liking the Indians , positive thing too.
Indians is bringing some fresh air on the american cruiser market , so if before the only option was HD or Victory ( ohh well ) now Indians is an option and numbers are showing that so far , they are selling... and they are expanding.

After the "honey moon" period , Polaris/Indian will need to keep up the good job done so far , keeping the old client and add new ones and that's not easy task, not easy to compete with HD . for many reason .

Indian will have to sell enough motorcycle so the aftermarket parts makers will start investing in making custom parts for indians.
That will attire more and more riders toward indians.
riders are moving toward indians because they do not want to be all the same ( not all but some ) , then indians owners will want to customize their beloved bike to be different from other indians' riders.

We all know that HD is the most "customisable" bike ever, period.

Time will tell .
All good points.

Though I'll say Indian seems to be getting the mechanicals right. And the branding, and they've got some deep pockets behind them, so there are ticks in their favor.

So I guess, as you say, time will tell.

But I'm cautiously optimistic, because competition makes the breed stronger and that's good for everyone.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Asylum

« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2015, 04:21:46 PM »

The only thing that doesn't appeal to me is their flat sided fenders, looks great on the tank though.

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re:
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2015, 04:28:34 PM »
I wasn't sure about that myself, until seeing it in person. It really looks cohesive to me now.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline youcanrunnaked

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2015, 04:29:23 PM »
^^^  I agree.  The bike looks better than the photos of it suggest.

Offline AH Fan

• Gaggle Mentor
  • small stable of Italian stuff
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2015, 04:47:15 PM »
OK, let me start this analysis/opinion by saying I'm already on the record for liking the new Indians and I really enjoyed riding (and could own) a new Scout.

I'll add that I've usually enjoyed Mark's work as an actor and have nothing personally against him or his persona.

That said

BULLSHIT BULLSHIT BULLSHIT

I think the bolds say it all. He could have given two craps about motorcycles, but Indian approached him with $$$ and he's trying to put the best spin on it he can and act like he really is a motorcyclist.

Sorry bud... I mean, good on ya for making the money and I hope you bring the brand exposure, maybe you'll even discover motorcycles in the process, but in that interview YOU'RE ACTING.

Like to add.............. whats with the NEW work boots??   :D   Not to be confused with new riding boots.....

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2015, 07:21:07 AM »
 MCN has a interesting article on the designing of the Scout this month.
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2015, 07:45:54 AM »
Even if Monica Bellucci endorsed the bikes, I still wouldn't want one.

1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Orange Guzzi

« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2015, 08:45:51 AM »
It is easy to be cool on a motorcycle these days.  Today's high here in Indiana is going to be 20 degrees below normal reaching 26 degrees.  As far as someone named Ewan or Mark deciding what the definition of cool or a life style related to motorcycles, they have a lot of work to do.  I have no idea who either one of these two people are, what they do, where they live or what the ride or drive.  My choice's in life are usually dictated by my personal interest and financial means, not being a copy cat.  Wearing clothing with a promoting brand name on it will be free or I will not be wearing it.  Even my wore out Moto Guzzi hat was a door prize.

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2015, 10:28:59 AM »
Now I get to claim BS.  Sure you may not buy something based on an endorsement but you will look and pay attention.   maybe to much attention   :wife:

Right now the Fiat Abarth has gotten my attention, having a 74 X1/9 for a number of years has made me susceptible to Italian Advertising -- like Guzzi.

Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

bpreynolds

« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2015, 10:52:00 AM »
The only single thing that bothers/worries me about the whole Mark thing here is I fear he might miss some acting due to injury; Scout seems a little large for a first bike. 

Offline youcanrunnaked

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2015, 10:53:51 AM »
I love it when an anti-hipster says they have no idea who Ewan McGregor is.  Like we are supposed to believe you never heard of the Star Wars movies.  Sure... whatever you say....  ::)

Such comments do not identify you as a rugged individual; it just makes us wonder what rock you've been living under.

oldbike54

« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2015, 11:59:25 AM »

HIPSTER

Craig , I've seen all of the Star Wars movies , never noticed Ewan M in any of them , was he a storm trooper ?
Wait , was he even born when Carrie was prancing around lokking like the Queen of the desert ?

Oh , a bit of research turns up another set of Star Wars movies made more recently , have heard rumors of their existence , but have never watched them , seriously . Are they worth watching , and what role does E.M. play ? Is he the son of Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher risen to greatness ?

HIPSTER

Dusty

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re:
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2015, 12:06:10 PM »
Dusty, having fun or serious question (or both)?

Young Obi Wan if serious....
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

oldbike54

Re:
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2015, 12:18:38 PM »
Dusty, having fun or serious question (or both)?

Young Obi Wan if serious....

A bit of both Kev  :D Have watched about 30 minutes of one of the movies made in this century , but not until a couple of years ago . There was same strange alien creature acting like a tweeker , lost interest .
 No anti hipster sentiment here , heck , aren't you a bit of one ? ;D Guzzistajohn says that I am a bit of one myself , dunno .

Hipster

Dusty

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here