Author Topic: Shinko Stinko  (Read 38608 times)

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
Re: Shinko Stinko
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2015, 02:04:28 PM »
It's a contrived picture of an anonymous tire with no story other than it's an example of Chinese quality, when in fact the product isn't Chinese and the damage isn't real.  I'd say you got some 'splainin to do, Lucy.

Kentktk

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2015, 02:10:14 PM »
It's a contrived picture of an anonymous tire with no story other than it's an example of Chinese quality, when in fact the product isn't Chinese and the damage isn't real.  I'd say you got some 'splainin to do, Lucy.

So you would call the Holocaust a Hoax apparently because all pics can be contrived. I have no reason to contrive pics of a bad tire.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2015, 02:19:50 PM »
Holocost?  Microsoft?  That's roaming pretty far afield to divert attention from what you've done here.  The discussion is about YOUR picture which you can't explain, and YOUR conclusions, which are false.  When you say you don't have to defend it, what you mean is you've been exposed as a troll and have no defense.

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2015, 04:03:51 PM »
Ran a number of Shinkos on my 700 pound Yamaha Road Star 1600 and 1700 (2000 and 2004). Never an issue. I'm running a Kenda on the back of my CalVin. I'm running Avons on my EldoVert and the front of my CalVin. Dunlops on the Harley and NFI whats on the scooter... I have had Dunlops de-laminate, Metzlers crack, and no doubt issues with other brands over the last 42 years. Who has time to worry about all this stuff?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 07:22:31 PM by mtiberio »
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2015, 04:03:51 PM »

Offline slopokes

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2015, 04:09:40 PM »
 :+=copcar what grade oil do they use to make tires :BEER: :BEER: :BEER:

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2015, 04:24:50 PM »
I've mounted my first 'off brand' (Duro) tires ever as rear skins on the trike.  These are the 6-ply, block tread, TT type.  The idea is to run them a little underinflated to make the contact patch more 'square' than rounded, since the trike won't be leaning.  The HD sidewall is supposed to compensate for the lower tire pressure.  I don't have any preconceived notions about how they'll perform or last.  I'll just wait and see.

In my travels I've helped out a lot of folks with bizarre tire failures on all sorts of vehicles.  There is no one product that stands out as a frequent offender.  Stuff happens.

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2015, 04:58:13 PM »
Never tried them myself as I am really happy with the Pirelli Sport Demons.  My mate runs Shinkos on his two '80s Yamahas and loves them; reckons they are the best tires he has ever had.  And, yes, he has been on bikes a loooong time.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline nikwax

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2015, 06:38:50 PM »
I think you would find reasoning and mistakes in pictures for proving the Holocaust

That's close to the most f*king offensive post ever
2014 Ducati Multistrada GT
2011 Norge GT 8V "Otto Valvole" (gone after 32k miles)
2001 BMW R1150 GS (gone after 100,000 miles)

Kentktk

« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2015, 07:55:24 PM »
Unfortunately there has not been a denial from who it was directed too. Once again it`s just a pic of a friends tire, seems like someone owns stock in the company.

Offline drums4money

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2015, 08:17:19 PM »
I'm thinking about stuffing a Dunlop Signature on the back of the 1200s.  I figure I can get 30-40,000 miles out of it.  With modest performance AND tread life into the next century I'm practically making money!!   Anyone have a preference of car tires on their bike?

« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 08:17:50 PM by drums4money »
hypocrite, four flusher, snake in the grass, just a swindler and wolf in sheep's clothing...liar

1200 Sport , Monster S2R, MV Agusta B3 800

Old School Audio:
http://oldschoolaudio.wix.com/headphones

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2015, 08:22:31 PM »
I'm thinking about stuffing a Dunlop Signature on the back of the 1200s.  I figure I can get 30-40,000 miles out of it.  With modest performance AND tread life into the next century I'm practically making money!!   Anyone have a preference of car tires on their bike?

Ask Frank. He has one on the back of his 1400..   ~;
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2015, 11:00:58 PM »
Over here Shinko's are branded as Maxxis, they don't bring in their road bike tyre range which is a shame as I'd like to try them, especially on my Mana.

When Yokohama stopped making bike tyres, back in the late nineties or early nougties I think, they sold all of their plant, tooling and technology to Shinko. I ran a few sets of them on my Tontis back in the day and they were, generally, a good tyre but then I had a front that cracked and de-laminated the tread. That put me off them a bit but a lot of water has flowed under the bridge since then.

I have Maxxis tyres on two of my cars and really like them a lot, especially the grippier ones we have on Jude's Eos which make it as fun as a front wheel drive car ever will be!

I have a lot less problem with Chinese goods than I do with stuff from some other countries.

Pete

Maxxis bike tyres are (at least were) sold by McLeods
Shinko  bought in by BCE and maybe others interstate.

You could buy both easily in Oz as well as Goldspeed which could be Maxxis rebranded, maybe the confusion ?

Vasco DG

« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2015, 11:11:40 PM »
The Axxis rep comes in quite regularly. They bring in the off road range but not the road tyres. No idea why.

Pete

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2015, 11:43:17 PM »
The Axxis rep comes in quite regularly. They bring in the off road range but not the road tyres. No idea why.

Pete
Ask him for these
http://www.maxxistyres.com.au/tyredetails.php?id=68&cat=20

Aus site !! is under motocross but clearly not MX tyre

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2015, 11:57:56 PM »

I've been running car tires on 2 of my maxi-scooters for a couple years now and tho they fit, handle, stop fine, I'm not so sure it was a good idea now because the 400 MP3 has lost a right rear ball bearing and I think the left ball bearing is toast now too.  I'm thinking the different side load from a car tire in curves is overwhelming the ball bearings that aren't made for that.  What happens is you mount the tire and over time you start getting side play as if your rear axle nut came loose, when if fact   what is happening is the side forces on occasion is forcing the ball bearings out of the bearing race and I didn't figure this out until I noticed my rear tire having uneven wear.   The scooter rode all right for over 1,000 miles but by the time I looked at the right sealed bearing and found all the balls were gone !!!   :o   I was riding back from N. Idaho to Arizona then.  The tire tread wore unevenly because the rear axle was not horizontal to the swingarm ! At the time my rig weighed 900# !  This MP3 got me home even thru 124F heat in Needles, Ca. !   :'(   The MP3 has a temp gauge but when the temp went over 123F the gauge just read HI !  Good thing I had a water bag to sip on every few minutes or I would have had to stop.  :BEER:

So I'm thinking if I still want to use a car rear tire I need to have a steel tube between the bearings like a MC front wheel has or something else to deal with side forces when leaning in curves.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 12:04:00 AM by Arizona Wayne »

Vasco DG

« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2015, 01:07:37 AM »
Ask him for these
http://www.maxxistyres.com.au/tyredetails.php?id=68&cat=20

Aus site !! is under motocross but clearly not MX tyre

Well there ya go! Last time I looked they had nuffink! I'll round him up next time he comes in and quizz him.

Thanks Martin.

Pete

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2015, 03:55:15 AM »
I swore off cheap tires several years ago when I had a pair of Kenda dual-sport tires shear off a bunch tread lugs during an 8-hour trip to the mountains on my 650. Umm, I have to confess that I was running pretty spirited on the interstate.

I've tried the Shinko 705 tires on my Stelvio- not for their price but for their tread design. I was favorably impressed. Although I am not running them currently, I may very well go back to them at the next tire change.  Their reasonable cost is icing on the cake.

Tread pattern works well off-road and rubber compound is soft enough for decent traction on pavement.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/20401/i/shinko-705-series-dual-sport-rear-tire?WT.ac=SLIsearch

« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 10:02:55 AM by leafman60 »

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2015, 08:58:43 AM »
I believe there was an issue with one particular Shinko tire recently. From what I remember it was tread  cracking when used on heavy bikes...I have Shinko dual sport tires on my old Triumph and it appears Shinko tires in general are and excellent value.

I had Kenda 761's on my Quota. The rear split multiple (10 or 15) places between the tread. Some splits were about 1" long. Not confidence inspiring knowing we were hitting the Dragon the following day. But I lived to tell.

2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2015, 10:00:45 AM »
The tire problem seems to be more of the owner vs. the tire itself.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline RayB

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2016, 04:23:54 PM »
Ok
I finally got around to getting into this in depth. Mainly cuz I'll need tires. My Metz triple 8s are just too old but look perfect. Don't want to risk the effects of old tire syndrome.

The specs for the Shinko 230s in 130/90-17 say the max recommended rim width is 3". My EV has a 3.5" width rim.

Dusty, and others that have used Shinkos on their EV or Jackal, etc....did this lead to any problems for you? Should I feel lucky?
01 EV
82 BMW R100

oldbike54

« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2016, 04:34:58 PM »
 Ray , I have been running a 130 rear in both Shinko , and before that Avon with no issues at all . Are you running tubeless wheels , don't actually know if a tube makes any difference except maybe to help the bead seat .

Dusty

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2016, 04:35:52 PM »
I put the right 140/80/17 #230 Shinko on the rear and the right 110/90/18 on the front of my 2001 EV. only 1000 miles so far but I really like them. I noticed they don't track rain groves at all and the Avon road rider/ runners / what ever did and the S11 Bridgestone's really did.
at this moment I would buy them before anything else even if they weren't dirt cheap.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline Rox

• What's a Goozy?
  • Hatchling
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2016, 04:43:37 PM »
Aren't Shinko's are made in Korea?

I put a set of Pirelli Diablo Rosso 2's on a friends bike. The front was made in China the rear was made in Germany. I have bought other Pirelli tires that were manufactured in Brazil.

Exactly . Shinko is made in Korea . They are the old branch of Yokohama when they did motorcycle tires .. I had a pair of the 003 Stealths once .. They were slick cold , sticky warm and dangerously slick hot.....LOL I'd shy away from the sport stuff but the dirt and cruiser tires are supposed to be decent .
  And I don't care for the Rosso 2s .. Not horrible but not great . Never had one made in China though. Both Italian.  I do however love their Angel GTs .
02 V11 Lemans
02 V11 Scura
14 Honda CTX1300
07 Yamaha R6

Offline CalVin2007

• fickle old fool
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2016, 04:56:49 PM »
 Ray-

I have been running 130/90-17 Shinko 230 and 712 on my CalVin with no problems. Should work fine for you on your rims as well. I like the way they ride and handle too, and they wear out too quickly just like every other tire I have run.  :evil:

Terry
'07 CalVin
 '79 TT500
 '78 SR500
 '80 SR500

Offline timonbik

• Gosling
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2016, 05:23:59 PM »
Went through 2 sets of Shinko Ravens on my Ducati with no problems and my buddy is now got them on his Buell.  Great tire, fantastic price= PRICELESS.
2008 BREVA 750
2020 V85TT ADV rosso
2016 APRILIA SHIVER 750
2013 VICTORY JUDGE CUSTOM
2013 VICTORY XR CLASSIC
2006 VICTORY V92TC
2006 DUCATI MULTISTRADA 620 (IN DUCATI HEAVEN)

canuguzzi

« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2016, 05:30:01 PM »
The wheels on the MG Norge are made in China.

Offline Guzikid

• Gosling
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2016, 09:53:27 PM »
 We've had numerous riders switch over to Shinkos and really like them at our dealership.  These are guys who put on some miles during the riding season. Then, of course, there are those that are trying to save a little money too.  We haven't had a single complaint that I know of.........So we keep them in stock. YMMV   :thumb:  The Kid

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2016, 09:54:22 PM »
I bought a stainless pot & pan set back in 1970 that is still good but some of the glass lid knobs had to be replaced and they were all made in China !!!  :shocked:   :bow:
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 09:55:47 PM by Arizona Wayne »

canuguzzi

« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2016, 10:49:33 PM »
Met a guy, he was made in China. 95 years old and so far no parts had to be replaced. Not sure how long they last but they sure made a lot of them.

HardAspie

« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2016, 10:56:05 PM »
I managed a bicycle shop for a few years. Most bikes Chinese made. it seemed to me that Chinese manufacturers would produce goods to whatever level of quality the purchaser is willing to pay for. Still seems like that to me.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here