Author Topic: What Knife Should a Guzzi Rider Carry?  (Read 45744 times)

Offline donn

• Gaggle Hero
  • The thing is, I do want a pickle.
Re: What Knife Should a Guzzi Rider Carry?
« Reply #150 on: July 20, 2015, 11:48:33 AM »
I've had a succession of a couple flea market pocket knives, latest a small locking Buck with wood scales, but lost to a hole in my pocket, and I was down to an Opinel I found in the road.  So when I heard that the lady of the house had a pocket knife collection on her hands, among the estate of a brother in another state who was a bit of a pack rat, I put in a request for something.  She sent me a photo of dozens of folding knives - all folded up, and at fairly low resolution.

I'm no expert and was generally stumped, but I managed to pick out a couple that seem to be OK, though they turn out to be a little larger than I thought.  A very nice Case Trapper probably '80s, and a Buck 442 Bucklite that seems utilitarian in a good way.  She picked out on her own a nice little Gerber Sportsman that he'd been given as a token from an employer, and a Buck 186 liner lock which turns out to be a good catch, along with some other stuff.

Also brought back a 3-blade Case XX stockman, yellow scales, which is a comfortable size and opens easily and so forth, but the blades are a mirror finish stainless that puts me off for some reason.  Anyway, some nice stuff in there, but mostly too big and maybe too nice to carry around all the time for hacking at junk, so I may keep an eye open for a smaller and more intact Opinel.

Penderic

« Reply #151 on: July 20, 2015, 01:13:23 PM »
And then you have those many and difficult to imagine .... self-inflicted injuries!

Wazzthat? Darwin runnerups! Throw me that nail gun will yah?

Cuz it looks cool on the screen, its going to work safely for you? Your first try?

Practicing your swordplay makes for a better, more uniform cut (for example).

« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 01:19:41 PM by Penderic »

Offline drums4money

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #152 on: July 20, 2015, 04:57:41 PM »
The only practical solution. . . Titanium Spork
It's not a knive/screwdriver/pliers/socket set/awl/corkscrew/3-hole punch.
It does one thing & one thing only - spoon/fork/knife

hypocrite, four flusher, snake in the grass, just a swindler and wolf in sheep's clothing...liar

1200 Sport , Monster S2R, MV Agusta B3 800

Old School Audio:
http://oldschoolaudio.wix.com/headphones

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #153 on: July 20, 2015, 05:04:51 PM »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #153 on: July 20, 2015, 05:04:51 PM »

MotoGoosy

« Reply #154 on: July 20, 2015, 05:42:28 PM »
Seriously, I can't believe you people made a thread out of "What kind of knife to carry"!!!!?????

Offline roofus

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I must remember to cancel my turn signal!"
« Reply #155 on: July 20, 2015, 06:13:49 PM »
One of my employees has a brother who is a Hell's Angel.

I asked my employee if his brother could find a switchblade for me. (I collect knives.)

His brother said: "Nobody uses switchblades anymore, but I can get you a gun. What would you like?"

2010 V7 Cafe, 2013 V7 Special, 2013 Norton Commando 961SF, 2016 BMW R1200GS

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #156 on: July 20, 2015, 06:19:04 PM »
Tell him you want an MP5  :)  Uzi would be a close second  ;)
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

John Herring

« Reply #157 on: July 20, 2015, 07:47:27 PM »
The only practical solution. . . Titanium Spork
It's not a knive/screwdriver/pliers/socket set/awl/corkscrew/3-hole punch.
It does one thing & one thing only - spoon/fork/knife

Gotta admit. That's cool.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #158 on: July 20, 2015, 09:01:17 PM »
Seriously, I can't believe you people made a thread out of "What kind of knife to carry"!!!!?????

Sure beats a totally bullshit wind-up thread about badly vibrating Moto Guzzis.   

"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

opc

« Reply #159 on: July 21, 2015, 12:24:05 AM »

I know, right?  What's there to discuss? It should obviously be a Kershaw Nakamura. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001ANGZAA?vs=1

John Herring

« Reply #160 on: July 21, 2015, 12:35:09 PM »
Or, if money is tight, Harbor Freight sells one complete with survival equipment. Bound to be a good deal. I'll bet you could store an extra sparkplug in the handle.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=hunting+knife

opc

« Reply #161 on: July 21, 2015, 02:52:08 PM »
Or, if money is tight, Harbor Freight sells one complete with survival equipment. Bound to be a good deal. I'll bet you could store an extra sparkplug in the handle.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=hunting+knife
Funny thing is, I won't even go hunting with a hunting knife on my hip.  They're just too much of a bother to carry there.  I'll throw it in a backpack, but I won't strap it on.  Go figure.  :huh:

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #162 on: July 21, 2015, 03:09:44 PM »
Funny thing is, I won't even go hunting with a hunting knife on my hip.  They're just too much of a bother to carry there.  I'll throw it in a backpack, but I won't strap it on.  Go figure.  :huh:

You're right, come to think of it.   I never carry a sheath knife on my hip, nor does anyone I run around or hunt with.   They're just in the way there, catching on brush, getting hung up on stuff.    I DO carry a Camillus #3 folder sometimes folded into a little belt pouch, or my Leatherman in its snap pouch, but they're small and around behind me.   The Spyderco goes in a hip pocket with the handy clip, and anything else in my pocket or on a lanyard around my neck under my shirt ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #163 on: July 21, 2015, 04:48:50 PM »
While a sturdier knife or a multi-tool would provide some additional utility, years of working in pre-press got me used to carrying a razor-knife - my favorite is the sometimes difficult to find stainless steel Olfa.

I used to be factory rep for Olfa.  I've carried the gold model in my car for almost 30 years!

Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

John Herring

« Reply #164 on: July 21, 2015, 04:58:26 PM »
Several years ago my daughter gave me this for Christmas. I've gotten quite fond of it. Very handy knife.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here