Author Topic: Just received email from Triumph - has to be teaser for new Big Bonnie  (Read 28402 times)

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Just received email from Triumph - has to be teaser for new Big Bonnie
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2015, 07:30:14 AM »
I believe that the correct terminology is "bitchin!"

Even if I'm not going to run down to the showroom to sign up- I'm very grateful that a company like Triumph has decided to up the ante considerably. Their track record of delivering on promises in the past ten years is formidable. I cannot imagine these machines as lackluster.

As for liquid cooling- my Aprilia Shiver cured me of that aversion. In this case, it's as tasteful as you could hope.

In regards to size- sigh- what you gonna do? In my recent trip to the mountains, my buddy and I were mightily grateful that we were on smaller bikes for all the tight stuff.  At the same time, horsing the Bonnies around dirt/gravel parking lots was much easier. They weren't the perfect touring mounts (my return leg 260 miles against a stiff cross wind and dicing with semis proved that). However, where i live "handy" trumps "hefty".

Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Offline molly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2015, 07:38:26 AM »
The downside to owing a Hinckley Triumph is the owners forums are so boring. No major engine disasters, no self teaching mapping threads, all they discuss is what accessory to fit next and how much to pay for a service. I'll keep the Guzzi to stay being entertained here.
Dave

Lincolnshire, U.K.

Griso 1100

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2015, 08:25:16 AM »
I hate to say this cause it might cause a poo storm on here, but THIS IS EXACTLY what MG SHOULD HAVE DONE WITH A BIGGER V7 line.

The V7 rapidly became their best seller. Just like the Bonnie heralded the neo-Triumph's growth.

Triumph has done exactly what I said MG should do with the V7.

They've got a 900cc entry level (price point/stripper) bike (Stone).

They've got a 1200cc mid-level bike with more power and dual discs (Special)

They've got a hot-rodded 1200cc bike with more power still and those dics, oh and an "R" version with Ohlins/Showa/Brembos (Racer).

BRAVO, WELL DONE.

That, plus "drama-free" ownership tends to build sales success.

It's funny by Molly just told me how much Hinkley Triumph ownership has become like the positives of Harley ownership - i.e. the owners just worry about accessories or paying for service, and RIDING THE BIKE - not the 25 ways to fix what the factory screwed up.

I LOVE my V7, and it's not going anywhere. But damnit I also love my Sporty for that reason, and I think I could love a Bonnie like that too.

I'm shocked how much I like these bikes!

Well done Triumph.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 05:51:08 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2015, 08:49:19 AM »
 I'm really impressed, the last gen Bonnie's never did much for me,but these are really nice, they really lighten up the looks. Guzzi, time for that 1200 Stone!
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2015, 08:49:19 AM »

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2015, 09:54:07 AM »
Those "Monoblock"  "Carbs" are a nice dash of nostalgia. :)
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2015, 10:03:07 AM »
I went to bed last night dreaming not of sex but of the new Triumph Thruxton R. Wait, maybe that is sex!

These new Triumphs might just be the replacement for the Ducati GT1000 line that came to market too early (and too early for me). Used Ducati GT1000s are selling for crazy money, even more than these new Triumphs are likely to sell for.

I do not yet know where the new Triumphs will be made, but I imagine the engines will still be built in England while the rest of the bikes will still be put together in Thailand. No matter. These look stunning!

I heartily agree: Well done, Triumph!

Time for some posters on my bedroom wall (or at least wall paper on my computers!).
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2015, 10:03:52 AM »
Chain on my STRX needs cleaning and a lube job...hence bike has sat a month...waiting for rear lift, and spindles to arrive, and need to buy cleaner and take the time...but we will get there.  Probably this weekend.

That Thrux is an eye popper, but give me a 400 pound bike anytime....

You're over thinking it.  Just wipe down the chain and ride.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2015, 10:07:32 AM »
Wow.  Just wow.  These are ridiculously stunning bikes, finished with touches and on a level that I personally did not think Triumph was even capable of per se - and this from a giant Triumph fan.  They remind me a small bit of the Ducati Sport Classic line of which I used to own a GT1000, only better, in fact.  Wow.  Just wow.

OMFG !!!  I WANT A THRUXTON R !!!  This is the bike I've been waiting for Triumph to build.  For years !
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline molly

• Gaggle Hero
Dave

Lincolnshire, U.K.

Griso 1100

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2015, 10:39:39 AM »
More details to keep the saliva flowing.
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/2015/october/all-new-triumph-thruxton-revealed/

To my previous point:

It’s hard to overstate the importance of these bikes to Triumph; they are going to make up around one third of the total sales of all the bikes the UK company sells around the world
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2015, 11:11:53 AM »
More details to keep the saliva flowing.
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/2015/october/all-new-triumph-thruxton-revealed/

Whoa !!!

"the 1199cc engine is pushing out 81ftlb of torque at 3500rpm in the Thruxton state of tune"

:food:
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2015, 11:26:30 AM »
Whoa !!!

"the 1199cc engine is pushing out 81ftlb of torque at 3500rpm in the Thruxton state of tune"

:food:

And I thought my Norge had pretty good torque (76.7 ft lbs at 5,500 rpm). The new Thruxton is going to be a stump puller!
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

canuguzzi

« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2015, 12:06:05 PM »
5 New Bonnie's at very nice prices. Triumph is on a tear. That is only for the Bonneville line. Looks like Triumph has decided to move itself up in customer awareness.

Offline jackson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2015, 12:50:35 PM »
According to that article, "Although no official prices have been announced yet, MCN expects the standard Thruxton to cost around £9,000, with the R coming in at around £12,000".
That translates to: $13,800 for the standard model & $18,391 for the R.  They're really nice looking bikes but they're far from being for the budget minded rider. After 46 years of riding and buying a bunch of new & used bikes, I've given up buying new bikes unless they're deeply discounted.  It will be interesting to see how well they will sell at these prices.
NO longer can ride

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2015, 12:58:07 PM »
According to that article, "Although no official prices have been announced yet, MCN expects the standard Thruxton to cost around £9,000, with the R coming in at around £12,000".
That translates to: $13,800 for the standard model & $18,391 for the R.  They're really nice looking bikes but they're far from being for the budget minded rider. After 46 years of riding and buying a bunch of new & used bikes, I've given up buying new bikes unless they're deeply discounted.  It will be interesting to see how well they will sell at these prices.

No.  It doesn't.  Straight Pound/Dollar or Euro/Dollar exchange rate calculations are never correct for determining what a car or motorcycle will cost in The USA.

The OEMs sell motorcycles cheaper in the USA than in other markets.

Examples:

Stone 8760 Euro:
http://www.motoguzzi.it/motoguzzi/IT/it/moto/naked/V7-II/V7-Stone.html

Stone $8990 USD
http://www.motoguzzi-us.com/motorcycles/v7-ii-stone-abs.html

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

oldbike54

« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2015, 01:16:36 PM »
No.  It doesn't.  Straight Pound/Dollar or Euro/Dollar exchange rate calculations are never correct for determining what a car or motorcycle will cost in The USA.

The OEMs sell motorcycles cheaper in the USA than in other markets.

Examples:

Stone 8760 Euro:
http://www.motoguzzi.it/motoguzzi/IT/it/moto/naked/V7-II/V7-Stone.html

Stone $8990 USD

http://www.motoguzzi-us.com/motorcycles/v7-ii-stone-abs.html

Is the pricing on the new Bonnies in Euros or English pounds . Right now the Euro is worth $1.10 USD .

Dusty

SteveAZ

« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2015, 01:49:45 PM »
I really like the new Thruxton, at least on paper. I went to a local dealers "Triumph Days" a few years back and test rode a Street Triple (nice but too cramped for my height and monkey arms) Speed Triple (fun, but maybe too fun) and the older Thruxton (kind of dull which surprised me). Seems like the new bike might bridge that gap. I still like the Speed Triple though.....and it's not even a case of male overcompensation and I know that no one needs that much power on tap, but if you don't ride over your head the bike was really a treat. The thing was just absolutely fun to ride and with a flyscreen the riding position would work great on a longer day trip. Remember the old two stroke 500cc MX bikes? No one needed those either but they were sure a blast to ride and on certain stretches of desert those long legs were nice. The new 450 four strokes aren't even close on the fun scale.

Also, I don't understand the chain complaints at all. On a street bike? It's just an excuse for some peaceful garage time once in a while. Use the time you'd normally spend setting the valves on your Guzzi ( devil emoji.....damn things aren't working for me again)

« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 01:50:52 PM by SteveAZ »

Offline jackson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2015, 01:50:39 PM »
Is the pricing on the new Bonnies in Euros or English pounds . Right now the Euro is worth $1.10 USD .

Dusty
Dusty, in the article that was posted, they're in GBP (British Pounds).  Current exchange rate is $1.53 to buy a GBP.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 01:51:54 PM by jackson »
NO longer can ride

canuguzzi

« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2015, 01:59:21 PM »
According to that article, "Although no official prices have been announced yet, MCN expects the standard Thruxton to cost around �9,000, with the R coming in at around �12,000".

Official prices have been put up in their site, saw them this morning. Price competitive and not on the high end.

New bikes starting at 8. If they bring this over to all their other lines, Triumph could really start a resurgence and sell a lot of bikes.

Plenty of people like Italian design but would rather have a fresh look with top notch assembly. If they can pull this off, more power to them, a great alternative to the big names.

Triumph was in dire straights a while back, they did something about it.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 02:21:05 PM by Norge Pilot »

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2015, 02:41:45 PM »
With the approval of my wife, I have started saving! (Yes, she knows it is for a motorcycle; she just doesn't know which one yet!)

I collect a small consultation fee from prospective new clients. It is not much money, and I have been turning people away rather than meeting with them and taking their money. I am going to start meeting with more prospects, collecting more consultation fees, and setting these bits and pieces aside. One day, I may have enough money stuffed in the cookie jar. If not, well, I can always borrow the rest!
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2015, 02:44:53 PM »
Dusty, in the article that was posted, they're in GBP (British Pounds).  Current exchange rate is $1.53 to buy a GBP.

Which has no bearing on where the OEMs choose to price their bikes in The USA market.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline jackson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2015, 03:07:25 PM »
Official prices have been put up in their site, saw them this morning. Price competitive and not on the high end.
New bikes starting at 8. If they bring this over to all their other lines, Triumph could really start a resurgence and sell a lot of bikes.
Plenty of people like Italian design but would rather have a fresh look with top notch assembly. If they can pull this off, more power to them, a great alternative to the big names.
Triumph was in dire straights a while back, they did something about it.
I just went to the Triumph USA website and as of five minutes ago, there are no prices listed for either of the Thruxton models (that I can find).  I also downloaded the brochure to see if there were any prices listed but there were none.
Where did you see the USA prices listed and how much were they?
NO longer can ride

Offline jackson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2015, 03:09:49 PM »
Which has no bearing on where the OEMs choose to price their bikes in The USA market.
Rocker, you keep saying that BUT the mfgr. has to make a certain margin and the U.S. distribution arm also has to make X margin so there's a limit to how low they can/will price a product.  They're not going to intentionally lose a bunch of money if they don't have to.
NO longer can ride

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2015, 03:09:58 PM »
I hate to say this cause it might cause a poo storm on here, but THIS IS EXACTLY what MG SHOULD HAVE DONE WITH A BIGGER V7 line.

The V7 rapidly became their best seller. Just like the Bonnie heralded the neo-Triumph's growth.

Triumph has done exactly what I said MG should do with the V7.
:1:

Supposedly that R is going to sell for about $13k.
If you're using the numbers that I mentioned in the text last night, that was what I was hoping it would be -- I didn't see any US prices quoted anywhere.
BRAVO, WELL DONE.

That, plus "drama-free" ownership tends to build sales success.
:1: :1:
Well done Triumph.

:1: :1: :1:

I definitely see one of these new Triumphs in my garage in the future, hopefully the Thruxton R  :drool:

Oh, and it looks like the Thruxton R torque numbers are even higher that what has been mentioned on some sites, Triumph's website is listed it at 120 NM, which is 88 lb*ft!
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

canuguzzi

« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2015, 04:35:07 PM »
I just went to the Triumph USA website and as of five minutes ago, there are no prices listed for either of the Thruxton models (that I can find).  I also downloaded the brochure to see if there were any prices listed but there were none.
Where did you see the USA prices listed and how much were they?

Email link they sent. Links to video but also another link there going to their USA site where the bikes were listed. I just glanced at the prices. I went back later, couldn't even get to the same page, not available. I was going to snapshot it and post it here.

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2015, 05:15:00 PM »
Rocker, you keep saying that BUT the mfgr. has to make a certain margin and the U.S. distribution arm also has to make X margin so there's a limit to how low they can/will price a product.  They're not going to intentionally lose a bunch of money if they don't have to.

Look for yourself on USA, British, and Italian web pages for motorcycles you like, and you will see what I'm talking about.

I'm not talking out my ass.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

oldbike54

« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2015, 05:26:35 PM »
Look for yourself on USA, British, and Italian web pages for motorcycles you like, and you will see what I'm talking about.

Makes one wonder how much a new Ultra Classic costs in Rubles ? :grin: Yeah , the exchange rate is only one factor in pricing .

Dusty

Offline jackson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2015, 05:42:44 PM »

I didn't mean to imply that you were talking out of your ass.  I am well aware that manufacturers (of most goods) will price the products differently from one country to another.  My point was NOT that Triumph may price it differently in the USA (not in direct relation to the GBP price in the U.K.) but rather that Triumph could only price the product at "X" price below what they're selling them for in the U.K. because they only have so much margin to work with. 
I'm not attempting to be confrontational with you or start an argument; I just think that based on the published U.K. price, these two models are likely to be what I consider to be a bit on the high side.  Of course, they're 1200 cc bikes with ABS and other technology so I understand that not everybody will see it the same way that I view it.
BTW; From viewing the Triumph site, I see that there is a 2016 model year Thruxton, 865cc in addition to the new 1200 cc Thruxton and Thruxton R. 
NO longer can ride

Offline vntgmx

• New Egg
« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2015, 05:53:23 PM »
As an owner of a 2014 Triumph Scrambler and haven't taken it out on Sunday after being off of it for the past couple of months due to spending time on my new to me V7 special I have to say they really are easy bikes to like. So smooth and effortless and such character imo with no fuss. I'm really digging the Street Twin myself but for anyone who is on the fence for a Triumph I can say with confidence go for it as you'll have no regrets , I sure don't!  :bike-037:

bpreynolds

« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2015, 05:55:41 PM »

:1: :1: :1:
Not even remotely comparable.
Incidentally, if my ass could talk it would say, PLEASE PUT ME ON ONE OF THESE BIKES.   :thumb:

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here