Author Topic: Just received email from Triumph - has to be teaser for new Big Bonnie  (Read 28381 times)

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
Re: Just received email from Triumph - has to be teaser for new Big Bonnie
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2015, 07:36:51 PM »
I didn't mean to imply that you were talking out of your ass.  I am well aware that manufacturers (of most goods) will price the products differently from one country to another.  My point was NOT that Triumph may price it differently in the USA (not in direct relation to the GBP price in the U.K.) but rather that Triumph could only price the product at "X" price below what they're selling them for in the U.K. because they only have so much margin to work with. 
I'm not attempting to be confrontational with you or start an argument; I just think that based on the published U.K. price, these two models are likely to be what I consider to be a bit on the high side.  Of course, they're 1200 cc bikes with ABS and other technology so I understand that not everybody will see it the same way that I view it.
BTW; From viewing the Triumph site, I see that there is a 2016 model year Thruxton, 865cc in addition to the new 1200 cc Thruxton and Thruxton R.

I agree that it will be at the top end of the retro bikes.  If the 12000 Pounds in The UK is correct, that would work out to about 15000 USD, based on how several other motorcycles are priced between UK and USA.

That would price them out of the market.  I really believe that the Thruxton R will be "Thirteen-something".  $13490.  Whatever.  It will still be at the top of the retro standard market, but the spec sheet should justify it.

That should still get finance buyers into the bike for a reasonable down payment and under $200/mo.

Based on what I'm seeing and reading, these "all new" Bonneville variants will be grand-slam home-runs.

I'm also reading that Scrambler, America, and Speedmaster won't see any of these upgrades until at least 2017.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Dogwalker

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2015, 05:55:28 AM »
According to that article, "Although no official prices have been announced yet, MCN expects the standard Thruxton to cost around �9,000, with the R coming in at around �12,000".
that means that, at least in Europe,

this

will cost more or less like this

Uhmmm... :huh:

Offline molly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2015, 06:00:10 AM »
Before you colonials get your knickers in a twist over prices who's to say we won't import them to the US (my Tiger Sport isn't). I heard a rumor from a factory source (40 miles from my home) that they are for British Commonwealth countries only. That will teach you for getting all independent minded. :wink:
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 06:10:00 AM by molly »
Dave

Lincolnshire, U.K.

Griso 1100

bpreynolds

« Reply #63 on: October 29, 2015, 06:33:44 AM »
Before you colonials get your knickers in a twist over prices who's to say we won't import them to the US (my Tiger Sport isn't). I heard a rumor from a factory source (40 miles from my home) that they are for British Commonwealth countries only. That will teach you for getting all independent minded. :wink:

:grin: Well, no offense to you fine redcoats but as is known, the British can't keep their hands out of much, especially anything resembling a dollar.   :thumb: so I suspect they'll arrive on these shores soon.  Another key factor is they enlisted American design help in producing some of the factory customs shown at the reveal yesterday. 

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: October 29, 2015, 06:33:44 AM »

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2015, 07:04:20 AM »

Besides the very concept being laughable from analysis of their sales trends in the US there's one other reason that's a ridiculous statement...

... The T120/T120 Black, Thruxton/Thruxton R are already listed as models on the US website.  :kiss:
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline molly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2015, 07:07:53 AM »
:grin: Well, no offense to you fine redcoats but as is known, the British can't keep their hands out of much, especially anything resembling a dollar.   :thumb: so I suspect they'll arrive on these shores soon.  Another key factor is they enlisted American design help in producing some of the factory customs shown at the reveal yesterday.

Next you will be telling me that the Bonneville salt flats wasn't named after a British motorcycle.
Dave

Lincolnshire, U.K.

Griso 1100

oldbike54

« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2015, 07:42:08 AM »
Next you will be telling me that the Bonneville salt flats wasn't named after a British motorcycle.

No , but the Ford Thunderbird was named after a Triumph motorbike  :shocked: :bike-037:

Dusty

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #67 on: October 29, 2015, 10:59:12 AM »
They will be imported into the US. I feel it in my wallet!

Already saving for a Thruxton R, in red!
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

oldbike54

« Reply #68 on: October 29, 2015, 12:42:09 PM »
 Disclaimer . Not an engineer .

Water cooling is probably necessary to reliably achieve the kind of HP and torque figures Triumph is getting from this motor . Or at least it simplifies the job . Higher compression generates more heat , much easier to keep temps in the desired range and pass emission regs . They are probably also allowing for aftermarket hot rodding , wonder how well these motors will respond to basic tweaks ? How much ya wanna bet the aftermarket is already gearing up with exhaust systems , maps , etc . 114 HP and 100 LBS FT of torque at 6,000 RPMs anyone ?

Dusty

canuguzzi

« Reply #69 on: October 29, 2015, 12:58:33 PM »
2012 and earlier Street Triples and Speed Triples allowed you to use TuneECU to load maps, turn off the SAI, etc.  That changed in 2013.  The current air-cooled Bonnie line can be manipulated as well.  I bet Triumph shuts it down on the new model.

If they are smart they will partner with 3rd party makers ala Can-Am and offer tuned exhausts and other performance goodies.

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: October 29, 2015, 01:14:27 PM »

Molly, it's just no use trying to talk reason to these heathens...

Even though I live in the Boston area, where the yoke of British Oppression was thrown off. Even though I live in the town that fielded Glover's regiment of marines- one of General Washington's elite guards and the crew who rowed him across the Delaware to attack Trenton in 1776- I would NEVER be so crude and base as to suggest that you ki$$ my Yankee a--. No, sir, for I remain, first and foremost, a gentleman.   :angel:

Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

oldbike54

« Reply #71 on: October 29, 2015, 01:26:14 PM »
2012 and earlier Street Triples and Speed Triples allowed you to use TuneECU to load maps, turn off the SAI, etc.  That changed in 2013.  The current air-cooled Bonnie line can be manipulated as well.  I bet Triumph shuts it down on the new model.

Interesting . Of course the stubborn smart guys always seem to find a way , dunno . Maybe the factory will build a hot rod using this platform and are planning ahead . Guessing the HP and torque figures are achieved with an under stressed engine . Dang , a roots type blower would wake it up , Taz want go VROOM VROOM  :grin:

Dusty

Offline molly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2015, 05:30:53 AM »

Even though I live in the Boston area, where the yoke of British Oppression was thrown off. Even though I live in the town that fielded Glover's regiment of marines- one of General Washington's elite guards and the crew who rowed him across the Delaware to attack Trenton in 1776- I would NEVER be so crude and base as to suggest that you ki$$ my Yankee a--. No, sir, for I remain, first and foremost, a gentleman.   :angel:

It is just that sort of one finger up to authority attitude that got us  squabbling in the first place. :laugh:

Here's a list of the 39 steps to becoming a British gentleman. I hope we have  some common ground here.

1. Negotiates airports with ease

2. Never lets a door slam in someone's face

3. Can train a dog and a rose

4. Is aware that facial hair is temporary, but a tattoo is permanent

5. Knows when not to say anything

6. Wears his learning lightly

7. Possesses at least one well-made dark suit, one tweed suit, and a dinner jacket

8. Avoids lilac socks and polishes his shoes

9. Turns his mobile phone to silent at dinner

10. Carries house guests' luggage to their rooms

11. Tips staff in a private house and a gamekeeper

12. Says his name when being introduced

13. Breaks a relationship face-to-face

14. Is unafraid to speak the truth

15. Knows when to clap

16. Arrives at a meeting five minutes before the agreed time

17. Is good with waiters

18. Has two tricks to entertain children

19. Can undo a bra with one hand

20. Sings lustily in church

21. Is not a vegetarian

22. Can sail a boat and ride a horse

23. Knows the difference between Glenfiddich and Glenda Jackson

24. Never kisses and tells

25. Cooks an omelette to die for

26. Can prepare a one-match bonfire

27. Seeks out his hostess at a party

28. Knows when to use an emoji

29. Would never own a Chihuahua

30. Has read Pride and Prejudice

31. Can tie his own bow ties

32. Would not go to Puerto Rico

33. Knows the difference between a rook and a crow

34. Sandals? No. Never

35. Wears a rose, not a carnation

36. Swats flies and rescues spiders

37. Demonstrates that making love is neither a race nor a competition

38. Never blow dries his hair

39. Knows that there is always an exception to a rule.

I sent a copy to my American neighbours (honestly 1/2 mile from my house) https://www.harlaxton.ac.uk/manor/
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 06:25:58 AM by molly »
Dave

Lincolnshire, U.K.

Griso 1100

bpreynolds

« Reply #73 on: October 30, 2015, 08:22:03 AM »
Molly, this is a great list and Triumph should hand this out to each and every new owner.   :thumb:
Having a surname of Reynolds, I know there is in me some fine British blood in me somewhere.  Even said, I think you maybe forgot "Not overly concerned with dental hygiene." 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 10:05:46 AM by bpreynolds »

oldbike54

« Reply #74 on: October 30, 2015, 09:32:37 AM »
 Well , I got 2,4,29, and 39 right  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #75 on: October 30, 2015, 10:04:22 AM »
Molly, that is a great list. Everyone should try to follow those guidelines (well, most of them anyway).

I wonder if there is room to add something about owning a British motor vehicle or bike...

By the way, I think I am going to place a deposit on a new Thruxton R next week. I am already speaking with my local dealership. George Latus is still away at the launch, but his people should be ready to take deposits and start placing orders next week. Apparently, Triumph is interested in gauging the interest in the new bikes so they can plan this winter's production accordingly. If all works out well, we should see the new bikes here in the colonies by next April.
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline Waltr

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Europa Macchina
« Reply #76 on: October 30, 2015, 10:41:29 AM »
 One thing that I do not understand is the reference to never going to Puerto Rico.  I enjoyed the list.
Walt
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
www.motoguzzipa.com

2012 Norge

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #77 on: October 30, 2015, 10:44:54 AM »
One thing that I do not understand is the reference to never going to Puerto Rico.  I enjoyed the list.
Walt

I guess a British gentleman must go to the BVI instead.

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

canuguzzi

« Reply #78 on: October 30, 2015, 02:15:35 PM »
that means that, at least in Europe,

this

will cost more or less like this

Uhmmm... :huh:

No comparison. One is svelte, classic and looks 200 pounds lighter than the other. The other is a beast, hunkering bruiser. Not like you'd go into a showroom and start comparison shopping. You'd either want one or the other and maybe both but not want the Griso and choose the Triumph as a comparison alternative.

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #79 on: October 30, 2015, 04:25:11 PM »
If this has already been posted, sorry.  I attempted to gloss thru this thread to see if similar info had been posted.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I should have taken notes.  I stopped by our local Triumph dealer this afternoon.  Carl (owner) had just returned from Triumph dealer meeting in London.  Here's what I (think) I remembered from the conversation.

Street Twin 900cc
Should be in showrooms Jan '16

T120 1200cc (two versions)
March/April '16 timeframe

Thruxton R
April '16

Standard Thruxton
May '16

Pricing - the Street Twin should cost approx. what a Bonnie standard costs today.  T120s in the $12k range.  The Thruxton R model in the mid-$14's. However, with lots of options, one could drive the price above $16k.

Again, don't hold me to this ..... I was half listening, and at the same time felt like I was interrupting their lunch!

Re existing models .... the dealer already has some 865cc models in stock that are 2016 models.  Most likely, the 865 bikes will come in the same color schemes as the 2015 models.

I'm thinking that Triumph should do some 'end of an era' 865 bikes, much like BMW did with the last of the airheads.  After all, the 790/865 Bonnies and derivatives had a 15 year run, almost unheard of in today's motorcycle marketplace.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 04:28:49 PM by ohiorider »
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #80 on: October 30, 2015, 04:35:19 PM »
The bike does look pretty darn nice in the pics.   The motor doesn't appear to be anywhere near 1200cc!   And they appear to have done a fine job of hiding the radiator.   Triumph may have a big winner on their hands.

I like it, and I like several of the retro bikes, and cars out today, but is it just me, or do others sense something wrong with putting so much cache into harking back to the good old days?

For me, it feels a little sad, and empty that we as humanity are turning back to the "golden age" of whatever.  Have we run out of the ability to natural evolve and create?  Like music, bike/car design seems to be stuck.  It either goes off, on a wire trying to blaze new ground, and by new, I mean sounding/looking like most everything else done over the last 6 years, or reverting back to the "good old days."   

Not making a big statement, just wondering out loud.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #81 on: October 30, 2015, 05:47:57 PM »
The bike does look pretty darn nice in the pics.   The motor doesn't appear to be anywhere near 1200cc!   And they appear to have done a fine job of hiding the radiator.   Triumph may have a big winner on their hands.

I like it, and I like several of the retro bikes, and cars out today, but is it just me, or do others sense something wrong with putting so much cache into harking back to the good old days?

For me, it feels a little sad, and empty that we as humanity are turning back to the "golden age" of whatever.  Have we run out of the ability to natural evolve and create?  Like music, bike/car design seems to be stuck.  It either goes off, on a wire trying to blaze new ground, and by new, I mean sounding/looking like most everything else done over the last 6 years, or reverting back to the "good old days."   

Hi, Chad ... loved your thoughts on the 'good old days.'  I've often had similar thoughts, and I can understand your concern re whether we can 'get it on' and move into the future of bikes.  Here's my take on it.  The bike manufacturers have actually moved into the future ..... look at bikes like BMW's S1000RR, as well as the other 175+hp bikes from KTM, Kaw, Honda, and the other mfgs.  However, at the same time, these manufacturers are acknowledging that there are a bunch of us 'old guard' that really liked the looks and ergonomics of the bikes from when we began riding.   Bikes like Triumphs and BSAs, and others.  And they've decided, based on motorcycle demographics (yep, we're all getting older!) that they'd build a class of bikes that appealed to (a) us old dudes that appreciate machines that look like the current and upcoming Triumphs, and (b) that might also appeal to the younger dudes who like things from the past.

I know, at my age, I'm probably not a candidate for a monster ADV bike, nor a supersport machine.  But I do feel like I have one more bike purchase left ..... and it may be either a new Triumph retro, or (if I'm feeling cheap) a retro Honda CB1100, which at current prices is a lot of bike for the $$$.  I don't think it'll be another Guzzi, though they are also lovely machines.  I feel like I've paid my 'Guzzi dues,' having put nearly 75,000 miles on the Sport and Griso over the past 5 years. So, it'll be off to something else.

I'm buying something new this spring.  I still own and ride my lovely Guzzi 1200 Sport, and hope to do so until I have to quit riding (long time away, hopefully.)  The Griso beat the crap out of me, so she is gone.  The old BMW R100GS is still in the stable, and still rideable. 

Regards,

Bob
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 05:50:39 PM by ohiorider »

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #82 on: October 30, 2015, 05:56:49 PM »
Design trends are cyclical. I believe this has always been true.

I personally think the retro trend is not about nostalgia, but is about organic and relatable design. About natural, balanced, clean, and familiar shapes.

It's a backlash to the cold, inorganic shapes that many find less relatable.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 06:05:59 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline jackson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #83 on: October 30, 2015, 06:01:06 PM »

I personally think the retro trend is not about nostalgia, but is about organic and relatable design. About natural, balanced, clean, and relatable shapes.

BINGO!! 
NO longer can ride

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #84 on: October 30, 2015, 06:12:02 PM »
.... and that too!

Bob

bpreynolds

« Reply #85 on: October 30, 2015, 06:25:05 PM »

I personally think the retro trend is not about nostalgia, but is about organic and relatable design. About natural, balanced, clean, and familiar shapes.

Exactly.  When me own mum, nowhere near a motorcycle afficionado, asks me, "Why do all new motorcycles these days look like flying machines?" then yeah, it makes perfect sense to me that folks would want something familiar and simple. 

Offline Dogwalker

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #86 on: October 30, 2015, 08:31:09 PM »
No comparison. One is svelte...
Several things can be compared. For example brakes, forks and rear shocks, to estabilish what the maker sells for that price.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 08:33:39 PM by Dogwalker »

Offline Joliet Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Justus Esto, Et Non Metue
« Reply #87 on: October 30, 2015, 09:52:20 PM »
 I love the look of the left side of the engine. It reminds me of my 78
1975 T160 Triumph Trident "Spot"
2002 Cali Stone "Moby Dick"
1998 Centauro "Psycho Chicken"
2003 Buell Blast "Pegasus"

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #88 on: October 31, 2015, 05:34:11 AM »
Pricing - the Street Twin should cost approx. what a Bonnie standard costs today.  T120s in the $12k range.  The Thruxton R model in the mid-$14's. However, with lots of options, one could drive the price above $16k.

That sounds reasonable.

And it sorta goes with what Dogwalker is saying in competitive pricing.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline molly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #89 on: October 31, 2015, 05:46:09 AM »

Triumph are tapping into the retro cool look which is fashionable with young affluent riders, Belstaff are doing the same.
 For these riders it's first time round for this type of bike. They want reliability coupled with a style that makes them feel special when riding. Which is exactly how I felt when I started riding bikes, albeit with long hair, greasy denims and badges all over my leather jacket. People noticed you and that was cool, at least to me. A lot of Harley riders do the same thing but go over the top with trying too hard so they become a bit of a joke.
Not everyone wants to tog up in cordura and head for the hills or dress like Valentino and ride arse in the air at 150mph. There is a middle way that get's it's cues from a simpler less gadget strewn era and I'm all for it.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 05:55:22 AM by molly »
Dave

Lincolnshire, U.K.

Griso 1100

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here